Movies - Oscar's Contest 2022 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Movies Oscar's Contest 2022

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire

Trying to forget the on-stage drama and focus the drama on the screen, let's just say that now a lot of people will learn after googling what CODA stands for, and that is a good thing. A safe film might have won the biggest award, but one with good intentions and warm heart. I'm very tired, and I really hope I counted these right. I'll link the sheet at the end of the post, so anyone can re-check.

Now let's see who won our Oscar!

🥉 At 3rd place with 17 points - was me, Riku. 🥉

🥈 At shared 2nd place with 18 points are @Organizized @goldb and @PhillyG 🥈

Congratulations, well done, but just not quite well enough. The second place could have gone to user @phipps13 with 19 points, but since that nick doesn't exist, too bad. (Contact me, Riku, if you have have misspelt your nick or something and I just didn't find it)

But now a reveal, that for me is the real best part of this years Oscars. After so many close calls this mysterious DiCaprio of Mangahelpers finally takes the prize that is much deserved and has been a long time coming. Dear people,

🥇
The 1st place with 20 points goes to the one and only, the legend @George Monkey
🥇

Congratulations!

The point score is shared with user @Dnanni1, but since that is once again a non-nick, it is ignore (contact me, Riku, if there has been a mistake of some sorts)

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire

Hello hello,

It's again that time of the year when filthy casuals on the front page go "lol what, this is a animango forum not movie lulz". Well hey, it's not that far fetched. Especially this year when the Japanese film Drive My Car is one of the favorites to win.

The traditional Oscar's betting game is here again. Fill in the form below with your guesses on who the Hollywood adores the most this year and you just might win your very own Oscar statue. As a MH badge.

For things not to get too stale, there are some rule changes this year, so read them carefully.

Rules:
  • Include your actual Mangahelpers username when you vote​
  • You can vote as many times as you want, but only your latest vote is valid​
  • The player with the most correct guesses wins
    • In case of an tie, the short film categories work as tie breakers. They do not count to the overall score, they only matter in solving ties.​
    • If there is still a tie after the short film tiebreaker, the one with the most correct picks in "The Big 5" categories wins (Best Film, Director, Lead Actor/Actress, Adapted/Original Screenplay)​
  • Include your actual Mangahelpers username when you vote. Yes, you have read this twice now. It's twice here for a reason. DONT FORGET THE USERNAME​
    • If you don't see your name appearing to the participants list in a few days, PM @Riku

Schedule:
  • The deadline is Monday 28th of March 00.00 (midnight, GMT) // Sunday 27th of March 5PM(PT) 8PM(ET)
  • Countdown

@avietar
@DarinRobbins
@Erinyes
@james BROOKS (Pls contact, not valid username)
@minion
@Organizized
@Paths of Modorills
@Sapphic Spider
@SharkBait
@im.me
@meliodase57 (Pls contact, not valid username)
@xi0
@korigamik (Not a valid username, pls contact)
@dnanni1 (Not a valid username, pls contact)
@George Monkey (The one and only)
@Faust
@phipps13 (Not a valid username, pls contact)
@Eigengrau
@Charlie
@Evil3ye

Last edited:

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Can I join if I only have watched like 5 movies available in the questions file or its mandatory to have watched everything ? i guess I can watch some animation movie this week if I have time, but not sure I can fill all the questions.
Why no C'mon C'mon and Passing nowhere ? :gwah

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Can I join if I only have watched like 5 movies available in the questions file or its mandatory to have watched everythjing ? i guess I can watch some animation movie this week if I have time, but not sure I can fill all the questions.
Yes, you can vote. It's a guessing game fundamentally. I have seen like 5 of all these as well.

But if you watch some before the gala, share your thoughts her sure :nod

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Awesome ! if i have time I ll try to watch a movie in special effects or animation section at least.

Especially this year when the Japanese film Drive My Car is one of the favorites to win
Yeah probably, I enjoyed it despite the lenght, but it was not my fave ( a lot of predictable moments imo, but I liked the most the theater related scenes and the driver scenes :zomg ), I really really loved Passing and Summer of soul but yeah got it, it's not about my faves but predictions.

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm still somewhat baffled that Denis Villeneuve didn't get a director nod. Was there really noone on that list he could replace?

Wowzers

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Maybe you will have to sacrifice 30% of your 20-30 or so animes you're watching weekly :teehee
Maybe not so much this season… I think I’m down to 12-14.

Eigengrau

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Can I join if I only have watched like 5 movies available in the questions file or its mandatory to have watched everything ?
How would anyone even verify whether you watched them or not :teehee ?

I'm pretty sure if anything they'd be eligible for next year, something to do with releases and such.
It's actually a terrifying and nitpicky process you know, having your film be eligible for the Oscars. Terrible.

( a lot of predictable moments imo, but I liked the most the theater related scenes and the driver scenes :zomg )
How good was the deaf actress though? I felt like she stole every scene she was in.

I'm still somewhat baffled that Denis Villeneuve didn't get a director nod. Was there really noone on that list he could replace?
Yeah, saw some people saying "Oh they'll just give me the nod/award for Dune Part 2". He really deserved it, especially cringe to not give him the nom when the film got like 11 nominations, like bruh.

Belfast does not deserve to be on there at all, I'm somewhat expecting 0 wins, Denis should've taken Branagh's place there for sure.

:cookiearf

I might watch Coda just for the sake of it, but I definitely intend to see The Tragedy of Macbeth before the Oscars, and that should be about it.

Really have no clue yet on what my final picks will be although I already did a mock-up, guess we'll see.

But to be honest with you guys, I don't see myself watching the whole ceremony like I used to. Last year's (or was it the year before?) was just too much cringe for me to take, I can't do it anymore. And with everything going on in the world right now, you already know what most speeches will be about.

So we'll see.

Wowzers

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
But to be honest with you guys, I don't see myself watching the whole ceremony like I used to. Last year's (or was it the year before?) was just too much cringe for me to take, I can't do it anymore. And with everything going on in the world right now, you already know what most speeches will be about.
I just record it, and 2 hrs in I start watching... well.. fast forwarding through it. :XD

afromarco005

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
France
Will the awards take place this weekend?

Wowzers

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
The Awards ceremony is on March 27 8pm EST... that's 1 am GMT I think.

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
How would anyone even verify whether you watched them or not :teehee ?
Oh yeah I know, the way I phrased it sounds dumb, I mean "necessary" lol

How good was the deaf actress though? I felt like she stole every scene she was in.
She was briliant, and she was radiating so much sweetness. I m surprised she's not eligible in supporting role btw. I liked the performance of the driver too, love her expressions and her gloomy eyes.

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Dune being nominated in practically every category it was eligible in except for Best Directing... give me a fucking break

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
I also find Villeneuve snubbed. He filmed the unfilmable sci-fi classic. Even if the film has it's flaws.

I get the feeling Spielberg is there just because he is Spielberg. Branaugh is likely there as sort of an career nod and respect for such a personal film by him.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

So yeah, I haven't seen that many of the films this year. Not any of the "good ones" anyway. I've seen all the special effects category films and all animations with the exception of Flee.

Dune was a premiere flick for me, saw it on release day and even paid for the fancier cinema, for fancier seats and hot food to be waiting by my seat right as I arrived. I wanted the experience to be perfect in every manner. Unfortunately, it completely wasn't. While still obviously a great film and achievement, it had it's flaws. Namely the ending and some characterizations. That said, considering how notoriously complex and difficult the original text is, Villeuneuve and the writing team did amazing.

Other than that's I've seen just King Richard and Don't Look Up. I liked both films. Smith is a total front runner for best actor for good reasons. While star-stuffed and extremely topical and funny, Don't Look Up was far a way from a perfect film and was structurally a bit of a mess. Still high recommendation for the sake of the topic and the ability to write satire in the world, where it's sometimes very hard to tell if you are reading and actual news or an article from the Onion.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

And oh yes, saw Cruella as well. The worst film I have seen in a long time. The hair&make-up and costuming nods are acceptable though.

Eigengrau

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Why ? :pout I enjoyed it a lot, actually.
I think other than looking "nice" it was mostly empty and a bit disconnected from all else.
Music was extremely overused as well, it's like the intent was on painting a picture very reminiscent of those times but then everything else ends up in the background.

I didn't have a bad time watching it or anything like that, it's fine for a one-time watch, but in my opinion there's no way it deserves to be nominated. Cinematography, maybe, but directing/film of the year?

Hmmmm
:cookiestare

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
We already have 6 entries (one I know that was incomplete and will be edited later). As per tradition, one of them isn't an excising Mangahelpers username.

The results look interesting this far. For example, we seem certain that the best director is between two people. Also our bet for the best film isn't a one that sits on top of predicion lists of betting offices or media outlets. The short subject categories seem perfect in their new tie breaker role, as in the best short documentary all 5 votes are on all 5 films.

To provide some content as a host this year, I'll try to make my guesses daily, one or two at a time. As I've said, I have by no means seen a lot of these films, so take everything with a grain of salt. I'll start with an easy one:

Best Visual Effects:
Will win:
Dune
Should win: Dune
Could Win: Dune, No Time to Die

Definitely the easiest category to guess. Dune is simply spectacular. Majority of the bunch (Spiderman, Shang-Chi, Free Guy) is kinda standard modern action CGI, which is good, but nothing special. Spiderman has the extra value on the de-age effects on some of the older actors, but that gimmick is already kind of passé. Dune outshines all of them with it's sublime art direction and perfect execution of the effects, which build the whole world of the film. No Time to Die has tiny chance of an "upset win". That's due to it's ambitious practical effects in action sequences as well as the use of the subtle CGI that viewer doesn't even realize while watching. Still, this should be a shoo in for Dune, and the films only certain Oscar.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Speaking of which, Florence Pugh has been cast as Princess Irulan in Dune Part 2.

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I wish Tessa Thompson was nominated for women leading role, she was superb, :pout I have noone else for this category :arf hopefully she will make it next year!