Seinen - "Oshi no Ko" by Akasaka, Aka and Yokoyari, Mengo | Page 11 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Seinen "Oshi no Ko" by Akasaka, Aka and Yokoyari, Mengo

Favorite Volume Covers (Pick 3)

• Vol. 1

• Vol. 2

• Vol. 3

• Vol. 4

• Vol. 5

• Vol. 6

• Vol. 7

• Vol. 8

• Vol. 9

• Vol. 10

• Vol. 11

• Vol. 12

Results are only viewable after voting.

Orion

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
This Ruby emotional rollercoaster over the last 2+ volumes... Method acting went hard, too hard. I love Kana and Ruby's friendship, like the 1st half you see why it's so good, and thus why the back half hurt a lot, you could see Ruby just break. But, yeah def understand why Kana did this, altho Kana's tone added an extra layer of impact. Also, good that she did empty bottled up emotions and even though she didn't say it, it gotta hurt seeing Ruby get the lead role because of her genes, while Kana wasn't even mentioned in the casting of Ai.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Clarification from Mengo on a certain panel. Akane fans can sit down

Last edited:

Hermit

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
Chapter 134 is out

Interesting that Aqua isn't around for this Ruby-Kana fall out. Wonder what he'll think/say about it when he resurfaces in the story.

Orion

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, wonder where he is digging, last time was with Ai's mom. Though Kana playing Nino was something he favored.

Also, twincest is happening. I wonder if it's gonna go like Frill says. Ruby gonna go in hard and then after the movie realize that Aqua is her brother and the feelings were "gross".

Director knows Kana is the best. But, the transition from his earlier bravdo to the current situation was funny.

Also, it's funny how Akane would be the answer to all these questions about Ai, but she doesn't really have an actual investment in the product, she's just keeping tabs on Aqua. And the friend aspect too, as Akane's dream was to be Kana's friend.

Jump Festa Illustration, colored by marinaapbch

Orion

Reaction score
Country
United States
New Year Art!

Banger chapter to start the year. Kana greatness :zomg , her best acting performance yet, and you could clearly see the difference in her ability over Ruby's.

That last page was really strong. What makes it great, and really this film, is that no one in the series, besides maybe Hikaru, saw/knows the real Ai and nor do the readers. It's up to the character interpretations, which may challenge viewpoints, including my own. This is honestly one of the most interesting and best ways I've seen a character be explored. Well done Aka.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

The set reaction in the beginning was perfect, just what I was looking for. This is unfolding perfectly.

And Kana is about to get her flowers, lets gooooo. I knew she was gonna put the best acting perfromance in this and it would serve as a springboard, as the people in showbiz take note.

Lastly, Ruby and Kana are not Ai and Nino. After all the trials and tribulations in the past year, good to see Ruby forge ahead and find her idol way as Ruby Hoshino. Really good analysis here as well:

Vibes

Translation mistake: Frill says Mem is her Oshi, not that Mem is Frill's fan.

That ending, this mf is cooking something hot! A rough outline on Hikaru's involvement. His knolwdge of a film on Ai was confirmed by the real Nino's phone call. But, Nino was not his initial source, as he orchestrated Yura's death so Ruby can get the part. Is it Frill, as their was the text msg with the beer icon. Kaburagi def. goes way back with him as their is a debt, but the convo, indicates Kaburagi did not speak with Hikaru until now.

I really like this reddit comment by u/Mission-Raccoon9432 on reddit. Long but worth a read.

This is what I've been eagerly waiting for almost a year: Proof that Hikaru is invested in the project. I wrote several essays from multiple angles to solidify this premonition in accordance to the source material as presented to us, but now we got first major confirmations by Aka.

The latest of these angles I took was exactly about his involvement in the movie production. My call was, that his own production company would become a subcontractor to the master contractor who is producing the movie. Aka gave us alot of information about the organisational structure in movie maker, that I sumed up in a graphic in this essay, followed by my conclusions. But I will sum it up now here again and discuss the content with what we got in this new chapter. Does it hold up?

By Kaburagi's words he is a sponsor. This can mean many things. It can mean that he pays for the production, it can also mean that he lets his company help with the production of the movie for free. Either way I worte in that essay: “Eikyo Co. Ltd will pay all advertising expenses but Kaburagi and Gotanda need to stem all the production costs themselves” and that was the sole reason for them to go out and look for sponsors (you might recall the chapters that were dedicated for the search of sponsors). These sponsors form the so called “production committee” and are in charge in hiring and paying the master contractor for the production (who in return outsources competency to subcontractors, smaller studios basically). So, again, it's possible that Hikaru is involved in both the production committee but is also contracted (basically contracted himself through his own assets) to help with the production of the movie, since he owns a production company himself (Kamiki Productions, as Akane researched in her detective work). If this really applies to Hikaru is of course questionable, so we don't know for sure if his production company is really involved. But I will go with that assumption, because Hikaru has in my eyes a particular reason to be involved with the project. Just paying money is too passive, in my headcanon he was always after his special interest and manipulated the plot already in many ways to get where he want it to be. I think, he wants some control and influence over the movie. But not to save his ass, but for some other, deeper and hidden reasons.

In that essay I said, that since the production committee is handling it, there is a high chance that Gotanda and Aqua are actually not aware who they are hiring and who is helping with the production (esepcially subcontractors are probably more or less anonymious until they pop out in the end credits of the movie), which could later in the plot make up a huge plot twist when it turns out that the movie is compromised or even manipulated by the culprit himself. Now, it's obvious that Kaburagi has his little secrecy going on with Hikaru. I don't think that Gotanda and Aqua are actually aware of this meeting and the connection, which means that this theory also is still in the race. Hikaru is planing something huge with the movie and they will absolutely not expect that. And Kaburagi was probably fooled by Hikaru, since he is actually suprised that he came forward as a sponsor. Since Kaburagi is a producer and Gotanda and Aqua more on the creative side on the actual filmset, I'd assume that Kaburagi could indeed use Kamiki's production company for help. That's really unethical. But he takes his money anway, so it seems ethics isn't exactly on his mind... We will talk about that bit later again.

So, just wanted to let this new chapter's info drop sink in. It's not coming from nowhere. There were numerous hints, that this could happen and it finally happened.

Of course, I didn't come up from nowhere with this theory. I was just looking at Hikaru – as said in the beginning – very closely and made up all kinds of Theories about him, which in my view become more and more true, as time passes by.

My most conclusive and indepth analysis that tries to work out Hikaru's involvement in the entire narrative since Chapter 1 I wrote down in an essay, which perhaps might become – or at least I hope so – key material for the future plot development. It's titled “The Meaning of White Roses”... of course in this last new Hikaru Kamiki panel we got again white roses on his table...

As I said here earlier, Hikaru is planing something huge with the movie. In my headcanon because he is basically planing something huge since chapter 1. Since he got Gorou killed, which wasn't an accident (which I also proved in my essays). This was always my main premise for the entire plot analysis: That Hikaru was never just a passive villain who needs to be found, exposed and convicted, but that he was basically always to some degree in charge, knew about every step Aqua and co. took and even coordinated alot of them himself (including getting Akane and Aqua to LoveNow with the expecation of Akane to study Ai's role and later convinced Kindaichi to pair them in Tokyo Blade, where Aqua's occupation with Ai was the key driver to maserfully deliver what his role asked from him) and is probably invovled with the supernatural too. Now with his "indebtness" towards Kaburagi there are multiple ways to analysis it in accordance to my theory. He's either indebt because he asked Kaburagi to look after Aqua and help him to get famous or he is indebt because Kaburagi didn't tell Aqua right away who his father was but spoke to Hikaru first. When Kana proposed Aqua for Sweet Today and Kaburagi looked at his picture - that could have been the timeline where he reached out to Hikaru and asked how to handle the situation.

"Boy A"

Last but not least let me add what to my understanding Kaburagi means with "Boy A". He is basically warning him, that if the main villain/culprit of the movie doesn't have a real name but is just called “Boy” then it's obvious that he who didn't gave permission for his name is probably guilty. Where is smoke there is fire, so to speak. Moreso as a result of the social phenomenon that Gotanda and co. envisioned there will be social outrage and the demand of the public to reveal the identity of the culprit. Kaburagi is warning him, that he might get doxxed which will ruin his public persona forever and asks if he understands the danger. He's basically wondering; “Why do you sponsor this movie, if this movie is literally public suicid?” And of course Hikaru understands it.. It's part of his plan too...

So, Kaburagi takes his money. The man, who is aware about what Hikaru did... That's really weird. It can almost be seen as a setup by Aqua. But the specific dialog between them kinda excludes this possibility. Kaburagi says he is actually suprised that Hikaru wants to help. It seems that Hikaru himself came forward with that proposal. They both know what's going on. They both understand what this movie is about, so it's unlikely that Kaburagi would just go to Hikaru and ask for money, since it's completely unreasonable to expect Hikaru's compliance. Kaburagi was suprised because you'd expect Hikaru to be the least person who has interest for the movie to succeed, yet he is involving himself actively and with a smile on his face. And Kaburagi, who – as we learn – is running a tight budget, thinks it won't hurt to have some extra cash or production help. And this is also something I figured out in my essay. Hikaru is trying to make this movie a success since the project got started. He killed for example Yura because she was essentially in Ruby's way to get the role. He texted Frill and provoked her to root for Ruby in an inofficial auditon so that Akane would decline the role offer. There is a looong history of Hikaru's involvement in the movie. I explain all that in detail and with really good evidence from the source material in that very same "Meaning of White Roses" essay.
Thanks for reading.

The acting is great all around, and then there's Ruby. We're never beating the allegations :xp

The real monsters were Airi and the industry which allows this behavior. I'm starting to wonder if Hikaru's okay with himself as the face and being targeted as the villain in order to show that industry is rotten.

Date on Valentine's. Man, seeing Ai and Hikaru bond like this and then knowing the end result is quite tragic. And props to Aka and Mengo with how they're handling a sensitive topic, they are pulling no punches and getting their message across.

Honestly, the best part of this chap was Ai stepping right up to Airi. I really liked that and showed new layer to her. Haven't seen much focus on that given the overall industry discussion and end of chap.

Frill has been very good on stage and off stage. Living up to her hype.

And now for the end, we have reached the moment of truth. All hands on deck for next week, it's bound to be a spectacle good or bad.

Top 10 Most Thirstiest Characters: 1. Ruby Hoshino

The final panel mirrors Akane and Aqua in chap 71. Hopefully, the overall end result isn't the same (Aqua ultimately picking Akane after planning to break up).

If Aqua doesn't turn Ruby down now, my last hope is Akane from the top rope, dropkicks Ruby during filming, takes Ai's wig, and kisses Aqua.

Man, even tho I'm anti-twincest, can't deny this chapter was great. Hit all the motional beats, the Goro-Sarina dynamic is special.

Run from it, dread it, Ruby arrives all the same.

Ruby Fan post-game thoughts. Lead us up to the big moment 🎤

Last edited:

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
@Ruby Fan post-game thoughts. Lead us up to the big moment 🎤
All I'm thinking is that by the time this manga is over, Aqua will have gotten kissed by every female of the main cast :Haha

Surprised Ruby was that bold. Curious what this means for her future in the story once the arc is over.

Orion

Reaction score
Country
United States
All I'm thinking is that by the time this manga is over, Aqua will have gotten kissed by every female of the main cast :Haha
My brother in Kana, we're not getting anything :xp On the flip side, she will be the biggest star. :pleased

Curious what this means for her future in the story once the arc is over.
Ruby returned the light in Aqua's eyes. Her future:

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
My brother in Kana, we're not getting anything :xp On the flip side, she will be the biggest star. :pleased
I think she will be saved for last. Aqua has kissed two girls in the series, Akane and Ruby. Both times, the kisses were one sided. Not really genuine from his part as well.
Kana will be his first genuine kiss. Probably end up going all the way as well.

That or im heavy on copium. This comment was hilarious though :XD

Orion

Reaction score
Country
United States
Best Boy Melt is back! Going back to their brief interaction during Tokyo Blade, I thought Melt and Ruby would make a good pair, and Aqua trusted him. And now this chap, they had pretty good chemistry. This is da wae

Pieyon Spin-Off revealed April fools

Orion

Reaction score
Country
United States
Great volume cover for the filming.

On to the chapter, even a crow acts better than Ruby lol. She was pretty good, genius child actress 2.0. Honestly, didn't expect her relationship with the twins to be so wholesome :D

Ruby fell off :nah

The Hikaru content during filming continues to be superb. I assume the content not shown will be told from his pov going forward.

Bruh, the April fools joke, Sushi no Ko, actually is real lol. The KanaBro cycle continues @Hermit 🤣

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
Bruh, the April fools joke, Sushi no Ko, actually is real lol. The KanaBro cycle continues @Hermit 🤣
HAHA, just read the chapter now. Biggest effin grin on my face, that was so wholesome.

Every time Im reminded why shes the best girl. Brilliant chapter.

Orion

Reaction score
Country
United States
Chapter felt like more than meets the eye. Initial reaction would be how did Ruby not notice the resemblance or that Hikaru tried to kill her. However, Ruby wouldn't be having that conversation with a stranger, felt more read between the lines. Also, not sure Hikaru was going for the kill as his eyes were white while they were black when he killed Yura. Plus, not a guarantee Ruby would die from a fall there.

Kana, what are thou saying?

Mission: Find Akane making Aqua happy. Impossible!