Pinoy Hangout Thread v. 16 | Page 50 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Pinoy Hangout Thread v. 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
i knew ilonggo was similar to bisaya but I didn't know we were that similar..

that would mean "good evening" is also Maayong gabii.

One universal word that is useful though is "salamat" for thank you.

kuroihikari

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

Yup. Very. Except when spoken of course. We all know the lull of the Ilonggo accent :D. "Hay, salamat. Patyon gid kita karon."

EDIT: Some post-Cross Game thoughts. The manga wasn't really as much as baseball manga as it was a character manga depicting Aoba's one-way competition with the "Aoba" that is reflected in Kou. Wonderful integration of that element into the baseball theme. And Yuhei Azuma is the most awesome incarnation of the cold, intelligent semi-rival I've seen. He was really grounded in reality, and he was not afraid to show it. He understands sentimental for someone that's supposed to be cold.

Last edited:

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
"Hay, salamat. Patyon gid kita karon."
hahahahahaha! that was funny!

EDIT: Some post-Cross Game thoughts. The manga wasn't really as much as baseball manga as it was a character manga depicting Aoba's one-way competition with the "Aoba" that is reflected in Kou. Wonderful integration of that element into the baseball theme. And Yuhei Azuma is the most awesome incarnation of the cold, intelligent semi-rival I've seen. He was really grounded in reality, and he was not afraid to show it. He understands sentimental for someone that's supposed to be cold.
hmm true. This is also what separates Cross Game from H2. Because Cross Game really is more about Kou and Aoba's personal struggles of moving on.

Although I find Cross Game more endearing, I find H2 to be more... hmm.. exciting?

wait... why are you so good at ilonggo? I don't remember you mentioning about that...

Last edited:

kuroihikari

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I'm not really fluent in Ilonggo, I just can speak enough to understand and get by. Both my parents are Ilonggo.

Though my mom's Ilonggo is a bit weird because it's a mix of Fookien, Spanish, Bicolano, Karay-a and Ilonggo.

On a side note, kiddie KimuTaku :D.

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Asunaro_Hakusho

Last edited:

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
ano... you hotlinked! and look what I got! it's like, I was the bad guy!

it's not like i'd die missing a kimutaku pic like that though... :hurr

kuroihikari

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Bah. And I even edited it to not show the hotlink picture. :( Damn internetz. Edited it again.

Anyway, I was browsing through torrents I could download and saw that "kiddie" KimuTaku.

Still have to finish downloading Kimi wa Petto.

Last edited:

hunter71485

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Storm's End
CCNA boot camp starts in 2 hours. Runs for 12 hours straight.

Here's to me surviving the first day.

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
bootcamp should be fine, hunt. :) The exam should be worse, right?

kuro-tan, what kimi wa petto? dorama or manga? though both are really well done.

Imperium

Reaction score
Country
Heard and McDonald Islands
I just watched somewhere that by the 2030's india will have a larger population than china! Thats in 20 years!

I for one welcome our new overlords (ive been saying that far too much >.>)

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
assuming the earth survives long enough to see that coming.

I just watched a few episodes of Californiacation. It's the first time I ever gave this series a chance and it's very entertaining. I didn't expect it to be that way.

kuroihikari

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
@bb: KWP the dorama first. Cute real-life girls before manga ones :D

Oh, and Californication has mammary glands. Lots of 'em. That's always entertaining.

hunter71485

Reaction score
Country
Storm's End
bootcamp should be fine, hunt. :) The exam should be worse, right?
It shaved off a few of my lives, but the rest should be fine. It was quite shocking that I didn't fall asleep; but was rather so engrossed I didn't notice 12 hours passed by so quickly.

I bought Modern Warfare 2. Bad choice - I can't find ANYONE with less than 60MS ping on this side of the galaxy.

Last edited:

kuroihikari

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
MW2 was a bad game anyway, bad ping or not.

hunter71485

Reaction score
Country
Storm's End
Not really a bad ping, but unless I'm paying for a T1 connection from PLDT (which is inaccessible in this part of the metro) I wouldn't be able to enjoy multiplayer gameplay, which is the reason I bought it.

Could've gone with RTS games, but unless I can finish a match in 15 minutes or less (which is now blatantly impossible in recent RTS) I try to steer clear from them.

Imperium

Reaction score
Country
Heard and McDonald Islands
MW is a sports game now. They will release it every year now. Bloody Activision. The next one has been announced hasnt it? Fuckin hell, it will only be a matter of time before people get fed up with it.

Queenofmuffins

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Australia
testing: :tem

Hey queen! do enjoy boracay! oh man! I'm so jealous! :wtf How is the place? how long have you been there? oh right, when you go to bohol I'm 75% sure you'll be dropping by Cebu?

over there in boracay it's ilonggo- not really tagalog. But I don't know any ilonggo too well.

You just say "pila ni?" when you ask how much. :p
Well, the weather takes some getting used to... I've lost my "Asia tan" from last year, so I'm back to getting my white ass sunburnt! :tem
But my skin is adjusting very quickly, and I'm turning a lovely shade of brown. :3

I'm here for awhile- my family go back home on the 17th, but I'm here to at least June. My filo friend is in Manila at the moment, and she's told me she wants us to go around the Phils together (Cebu, El Nido, ect) but she's really lazy... so far I haven't heard anything from her! :-_-
So I might end up being here the entire time. XD

I'd really like to see the rest of the country though. Boracay is too... touristy for my tastes. >.<"

"Pila ni"? I'll remember that! :D
(My accent shall be atrocious, though. :darn)

The queen is in Boracay! I thought you wanted to go diving? So many great diving spots here and they're not in Boracay :D.

"Ma-ayong ad-law" is good morning. "Ma-ay-o na gab-i" is "good evening". Filipino dialects are pronounced like romaji.

@hunt Queen is Aussie. Locals don't get Aussie and Kiwi speak as much as they do American :D. But she should be fine.
Yeah, I'm here for diving! I'm spending most of my time at Boracay Scuba Inc. There's not much coral here though, but lots of fish! :tem

Thanks for the pronouciation guide!~
I know they speak English but... well... half the fun of travelling for me is learning the lingo. ^^

Like Salamat! See, that'll come in handy. I think it'll mean more to say Salamat than "thank you" in English.

mangadictus

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
hey queen! an ilonggo here at your service! :D

one distinct 'hiligaynon' (that's the correct term for the dialect) word is "teh?" which means "so?" which we use in a variety of ways, mostly to follow-up on an ongoing conversation

you can say "migo" for guys and "miga" for girls when you want to call their attention.

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
ZOMG. 2 posts to go...

Queenie, cebu has nice beaches then, intimate ones, if you like. ^^

kuro-tan, you know a good h2 drama torrent? All torrents I've checked don't have seeds (and I only found 2~!) it must have not been too popular but I watched one episode on veoh and I really liked it :wtf the videos on veoh are in random episodes though so I really need the torrents. The videos on YT aren't subbed :scry

mangadictus

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
bbsai is right. there are mostly diving sites in cebu, so you'll feel at home for sure. you can try guimaras as well, a 15 minute boat ride from iloilo.

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I'm making a new thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.