Discussion - Popular games that you hated | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Popular games that you hated

scav

MH's Most Passionate Member
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
you know those games everyone loved except you. here my list of the popular games i didn't like :amuse

-COD ( no particular reason, just couldn't get into it)
-GTA4 (almost all missions are similar: that guy got my money, find him, watch him get in a car, then get a car and pursue him. couldn't finish the game : too much boredom)
-La NOIRE (gosh that game is a scam, 60$ for the most boring gameplay ever in my opinion. I thought it was a mafia game like MAFIA2, but it turned out to be a police game where all you do is investigate and talk)
-Alan wake (flash the guy with your light and shoot him,repeat. youhoouuu)
-red dead redemption undead nightmare ( it was OK at the beginning, then it became really boring)
-fallout new vegas ( i have a gun to kill bugs? dafuq is that? )

zelllogan

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
I was disappointed by many games but there is only one which was a huge letdown for me:
Shadow of the collossus: I never understood that game. Basically, the entire game is made of one single thing: "fight vs boss". I don't even consider that a real game. Yes, the fights are good but the game is incredibly empty. The concept was praised but I do think it never deserved the positive critics it received. There was absolutely nothing to do in this game: the gameplay was the same from beginning to end, it was short, no side quests, almost no scenario, ... just fights.

Scav >> I just started Alan Wake. And it seeems more like an interractive movie than a real game. The problem is that it doesn't seem to be as good as Heavy Rain. The trouble with GTA is that the game is the same since GTA 3. GTA 3, vice city, GTA 4 ... it's just too repetitive. I stopped to play GTA4 because it just felt exactly like the 2 previous games.

Last edited:

Crude

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Portugal
I loved Shadow of the Colossus, but yes the game was incredibly short. There were a lot of cool secrets yet they didn't help make the game that much longer. Thing is that you shouldn't think of SotC as your ordinary game. It, Ico and games like Flow, Flower and Journey are more like interactive pieces of art.

Anyway I've never outright hated a game, but one video game I purchased and that I didn't really like or understand the great reviews was X-Men Legends for the PS2. I tried to like the game but I just couldn't and I'm a pretty big X-Men fan.

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The Getaway.

So much hype and excitement over a game that had very poor graphics (I felt it was behind in technology updates even at the time of release) and overall game play wasn't that great imo. That "enjoyment factor" left my system after the first mission or two. I always wanted to see a GTA game based and set around London and this game destroyed the image I had of the potential possiblities of such a thing happening. xD

Call of Duty.

Where do I begin!? :fail

I would be able to, repeatedly, play the whole Time Crisis series over and over again and still enjoy every single mission in the game. Whereas with any COD games, I'll wait for it to load...start campaign mission or whatnot and get sick of the intro footage before the "roleplaying" begins.

Keep it simple and you'll have fun for a long long time. ;)

I must admit GTA4 was incredibily repetitive in a very irritating way. The last mission was a total disappointment as well. =(

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
GTA4

I thought it was terrible for a hundred reasons. Chief among them was how few immersion elements there were in the final game. You couldn't build a mafia empire or even really buy any property aside from safe houses. The whole game long you were just a lowly errand boy. All of the RPG elements that added so much to the GTA3 experience were tossed out in favor of a humorless and drawn out crime story; which I think was a bad tradeoff.

The driving mechanics were also completely terrible especially combined with how they designed the city layout. It's like they wanted it to be a pain in the ass to get from point A to point B for the sake of lengthening the total playtime.

Final Fantasy XIII

I'm not sure if this really qualifies since probably just as many people hate this game as love it but I definitely hated it. It to me was like a gaint mass of everything that's gone wrong in JRPG game development over the years.

It was style-over-substance, non-immerse, linear, had low difficulty, boring characters, poor dialogue, too many cut scenes, a combat system that makes getting characters to do what you want them to unnecessarily difficult, too much melodrama, and a story that borders on silly.

Last edited:

scav

MH's Most Passionate Member
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Call of Duty.

Where do I begin!? :fail

I would be able to, repeatedly, play the whole Time Crisis series over and over again and still enjoy every single mission in the game. Whereas with any COD games, I'll wait for it to load...start campaign mission or whatnot and get sick of the intro footage before the "roleplaying" begins.

Keep it simple and you'll have fun for a long long time. ;)

I must admit GTA4 was incredibily repetitive in a very irritating way. The last mission was a total disappointment as well. =(
hahaha i feel ya bro. COD campaign is just linear : kill this, kill that. The cutscene are awful and doesn't make sense xD
GTA4

I thought it was terrible for a hundred reasons. Chief among them was how few immersion elements there were in the final game. You couldn't build a mafia empire or even really buy any property aside from safe houses. The whole game long you were just a lowly errand boy. All of the RPG elements that added so much to the GTA3 experience were tossed out in favor, of a humorless and drawn out crime story; which I think was a bad tradeoff.

The driving mechanics were also completely terrible especially combined with how they designed the city layout. It's like they wanted it to be a pain in the ass to get from point A to point B for the sake of lengthening the total playtime.
u found the right words xD. i think you should play Mafia 2 if you haven't yet. that game will make you forget GT4

Espiro

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
I hate Battle field because its not so realistic and it has a very boring gameplay.

Gantzter127

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Heyy it wasn't that bad, boring campaign but it's got some pretty sweet graphics and destructible system and also online game play.

thornofcarrion

The Original
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Battlefield was pretty boring. I recently played some missions in BF3 and I really couldn't get why it is so hyped.

Gats

The Green Knight
Reaction score
Country
France
Battlefield was pretty boring. I recently played some missions in BF3 and I really couldn't get why it is so hyped.
It can be boring if you tend to play alone, but if you play as a team it's another story. The essence of this game is way more team based than CoD.

thornofcarrion

The Original
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Could be Gats. That aside, I didn't like how it played. I am definitely not trying its online play.

Gats

The Green Knight
Reaction score
Country
France
Could be Gats. That aside, I didn't like how it played. I am definitely not trying its online play.
Oh I thought you tried it online and did your lone wolf. Well that's weird to judge the game like this then, because the multiplayer is the sole main point of this game. The solo mission is just here to show how far the graphic engine can go (if you have a good PC).

Lexxie

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Little Big Planet...
I think it's not really the game's fault but mine for being unable to play it properly OTL
Regardless, it was a game I did not enjoy at all...

Gantzter127

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Same, I somehow did not enjoy it at all. It's just not my type of game...

kdowns

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

I don't see why it is dubbed "The Best Game ever made". It was really over hyped to me and when I finally played it I was let down.

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

I don't see why it is dubbed "The Best Game ever made". It was really over hyped to me and when I finally played it I was let down.
Yeah, me too. I played Majora's Mask before and I love it, that's probably the reason.

Assassin's Creed. SOOOOOO repetitive, omg. And everyone was like "yeah, it's repetitive, but it's story makes you want to go on" and I always replied "If I just want a story, I'd read a book".

Shadow of the Colossus. I love the concept and everything, but I got bored in the second Colossus.

GTA 4. After GTA San Andreas (that game was AWESOME) I found this game completely boring.

jakensama

MH Senpai
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Final Fantasy 7...actually I dislike the whole series. Resident evil games also.

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
Final Fantasy 7...actually I dislike the whole series. Resident evil games also.
I can't really defend the FF series... but have you played RE 2 and 4? They are amazing!

zelllogan

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
JRPG with "turn-by-turn battle system" are clearly not for everybody. Lots of people find it boring.
Resident Evil Games have an absolutely awful gameplay.

I like both but it's clearly not made for everybody.

jakensama

MH Senpai
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I can't really defend the FF series... but have you played RE 2 and 4? They are amazing!
I've tried them out, I dunno the gameplay just feels awkward for me. The atmosphere is definitely great though.

---------- Post added at 03:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 PM ----------

JRPG with "turn-by-turn battle system" are clearly not for everybody. Lots of people find it boring.
Well I do enjoy both the Dragon Quest and SMT series...but those are really the exceptions. I in general find classic style JRPGs very boring. Now an RPG like Dark Souls...that's a whole different story.