Discussion - Popular games that you hated | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Popular games that you hated

Zeltrax

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
GTA 4
I swear this might as well be the game that has the worst hype ever.
What the heck was with all those unnecessary violence? This game is trying to look too vulgar and too violent imo,
so many things make no sense. I mean, all those missions are just variation of rinse and repeat and I'll be lucky if I get a variation
because sometimes its the freaking same thing.
The driving controls is lackluster, the characters feels like cardboard cutouts of stereotypical gangsters and what the I don't even care
to continue this rant like the game itself. I go back to it maybe what? Once a few weeks, only to blow cars up and find various ways to die
instead of doing its various missions or dating girlfriend number 3.
I can never get myself to complete the game because of how freaking shallow the plot is.
And some missions get unbearably irritating.

Oh I'm pretty sure I offended some gta fans here but I don't care, I hate this thing.

Dead Island
Initially it managed to build up the suspense and feels like a thriller-novel game.
But in the end it was all just mindless slashing, repeat this and that and more mindless slashing.
You spend hours driving a car, getting lost, slashing zombies head off, dying, more slashing.
Zombies aren't a threat, you don't feel scared because you have a car.
The NPCS are dry and some flat out annoying.
Playing as the MC is a chore. Repetitive.

Dragon Quest series
I don't get why people love this so much. I agree that it's pretty fun at first but then it goes into grinding mode REALLY fast.
I like adventure games but Dragon quest seems to be the kind where the towns are never ending.
Maybe I'm just put off by the long journey and the sudden difficulty spike in some of the games.
Or walking in dungeons and getting annoyed and really pissed off by the monsters encounter.
Ugh...there's no max repels in the game either.
SMT is much more fun because of the obvious strategies. I don't hate on DGQ as much as I don't get the hype or the tactics in it.

Black ops, Modern Warfare, "Insert random wargame here with another name and trying to be cool"
No substance. Modern warfare can be painted black ops and nobody can really tell the difference imo.
All of them love to be cool with their very dangerous missions that in the end the only way you can approach them
is just gunning down everyone you see.
Rinse and repeat. Maybe I'm bitching because I'm a loser but I can't stand hours shooting down people again and again.
Is there suppose to be a plot I should care about here?
Most of the time fps online community are the worst gaming ones out there.
Filled with people who think they are kings because
they get a few headshots and whine like a baby when they get insta'd by a newb.
At least Crysis and Halo have the decency to make things unique by offering some awesome bosses/mobs.
L4D was fun because it felt original and had fun melee plus ACTUAL teamwork.
COD and all this fps is just you bitching about whoever stole your kill. It feels like counter strike polished 99 times....graphically.

Kill me if I'm a bad reviewer but I don't care..my experience with FPS had been really bad.

Final Fantasy 7...actually I dislike the whole series. Resident evil games also.
If you have a PSP, try Crisis Core. Maybe it will change your option on FF7 like it did for me.

Last edited:

Kamui

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
COD (Black Ops 3):
Definitely number one in the "most overhyped game" department for me. I just don't see what's so great about the game, the gameplay is so stale and repetitive. The campaign is so boring I had to stop myself after the first to missions because I found myself getting really drowsy as I walked around aimlessly destroying annoying robots with my futuristic weapons that don't actually exist. Yawn. The zombie mode is even worse, you're pretty much forced to do these dumb easter eggs that you don't want to do, but have to since you'll get yelled out by everyone in the lobby if you don't do as they say. The multiplayer is, as I said before, very boring and tedious, not fun at all.

GTA 5:
Literally played this game for about a week and then never touched it again. Like COD, this game was extremely underwhelming despite the hype it's been getting. The gameplay is pretty boring, I personally experienced many server issues when I first got the game, and the concept is weak. All I see online is people going around robbing banks, hitting bongs, dressing and looking like your common street thugs with nothing better to do than to just drive around and kill you, and rob you of your beloved money you just earned from a heist. So frustrating. I don't like the community, and I don't care for the game either, probably never will.

Haya-san

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Not really hate, but I'm extremely indifferent to the story and characters of FFX. Back in the early 2000s I was a huge fan of the FF series and was so looking forward to FFX and it bored me to tears. I expected some people to feel the same way, but lo and behold! Everyone was talking about how so well-developed, likable and relatable the characters were, how the story was so well-written and how it's possibly the best FF game and I was like 'what?', 'what?' and 'what?'. The only thing I enjoyed was the battle system, though it got stale toward the end for me. The locations and music were also nice. I played the game some years later to see if I would come to appreciate it now that I'm older, but nope!

Last edited:

shahdan

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Band of the Hawks 2
Resident Evil 4 is absolute trash! Repetitive and monotonous, brain-dead-easy difficulty ride from start to finish. Poor pacing marred by the same CQC QTEs over and over and over ... and over again. Mediocre level design and sub-par set-pieces.

Very little enemy and gameplay variety. Uninspiring and poorly designed bosses and enemies; Tolkien rip off troll and a giant salamander ... I mean, seriously? Story was probably written by someone suffering from downs-syndrome, huffing a meth addict's sphincter with great zeal; it really is ... that bad. The plot is EVEN worse, which I never thought possible. It’s a terrible game that sold decent numbers because TPS games are trendy these days. Just a tasteless coarse garbage.

Final Fantasy IX and VIII … Holy shit are these games … terrible. IX’s story is at RE 4’s level of quality and VIII isn’t any better. The gameplay is mediocre in both games; tests, and that bad bad ATB charge gauge? The characters and plot are laughably bad. Is it even made for anyone over 5? The romance is cringe-worthy and female characters, as usual (for any FF) are the worst offenders; really insufferble and badly written to the point that it boggles my mind how anyon can like them ...

Haya-san

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
This thread made me want to replay RE4. While I enjoyed it, it got stale toward the end for me and other games came out during that time and I ended up abandoning it. When it comes to the Resident Evil series, RE2 and Code Veronica are the ones that I replayed the most. I liked RE0, RE1 and RE3 as well and was never interested in the games that came after them.

Taorero

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
I know people will kill me after this but popular games that I hate:
Mario games: With Mario all I remember is how much I hated the music, it was so annoying to watch a cousin playing that...
Call Of Duty: I never got into CoD I loved Medal Of Honor and everything that came after that felt like a copy of the former so...
GTA: I simply could not stand the fact that I was a criminal gangster (without any sense at all), reason might be silly but I prefer to play cop instead of criminal
Counter Strike: I remember in my country people used to loved this game and all I could say to them was "have you ever heard of Rainbow Six?, well this is not even close"

Last edited:

Peach Tea

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
The Saint's Row franchise really left a bitter taste in my mouth.
I wasn't fond of it; specifically the piss-poor humor included.

Onyx Darkmatter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Honestly, I don't get why Undertale was that popular. I'll admit that the game has some unique characteristics, but characters and story? "Critical Acclaim" my ass, the characters and story was shit IMO.
Only character that I can think of that I liked were Toriel (or whatever the Goat-esque woman is) and Sans. The rest were either flat-out fucking annoying, not worth my time, or happens to be great at first but got ruined. I can tolerate Papyrus (to a certain degree), but Alphys gave me a fucking headache and cringe.
Plot feels cheaply-written. Granted, I'll give credit where credit is due: I liked how there's a choice that you can go on the Pacifist Route, or the Genocide Route (or Neutral, from what I've heard). However I feel that breaking the 4th-wall made the plot bullshit and completely ruined my expectations towards the writing.

Then there's Assassin's Creed:
I loved the first 2 games (3 if you include Assassin's Creed Brotherhood; Revelations was... alright), but playing the 3rd game left me disappointed (not only was it because of the MC change, the environment doesn't feel like the place to be an Assassin). The writing in the third game, IMO, crumbled to pieces. Granted, at least the Naval Mission was actually fun, but it wasn't redeemable.
Then there's the 4th Assassin's Creed, where you're a Pirate AND an Assassin; I liked the writing in this series, but that really wasn't enough to give me the satisfaction compared to the first 3 games and that was the point where I've dropped the series.

EmberSpirit

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
There is a lot of those, but I don't have the the time to list them all. Some are

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
I never understood the popularity of this game. It is not decent at anything it tries.
Quality of the graphics isn't really bad, but it's fucking bland. Character designs are boring and forgettable. There isn't a single face or personality that makes an impression on you.
Combat mechanics are laughable. It isn't even worth going into detail.
Main questline/story is generic. Ending is meh. Side quests are on the tier of irrelevant errands you get from some cheap MMORPG.
The world may be wide, but it's empty and shallow. Actions have no consequences. Your character's existence doesn't matter to the world it is in because of it. You can do the most stupid thing but nothing changes about the world.

Fallout 4
See above.

Danganronpa
I remember trying this because I heard it was like Ace Attorney games. The only similarity is that they both have murders and trials in them. The important difference is that Danganronpa is shit. In Danganronpa, you have to deal with character stupidity. Murders aren't smart, and for some reason, every character is reduced to a moron when it comes to trials. Evidence doesn't even matter. A rythym game with crappy story.
I think the only reason people like this shitty game is because it's an anime game.

MOBA Games (Dota, LoL and others)
The reason I dislike this genre is because it's too team oriented. One player can damage the whole experience in an irreversibile way. As a result, there is always going to be games that are lost or won outside your control.

z.5

Only Half Psychic
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
There really does seem to be a thing with Elder Scrolls games, where they lose more and more flavour and freedom with each and every later iteration.
I actually quite liked Skyrim, but feel that it's far inferior to Oblivion (which is inferior to Morrowind - which, in some ways, is inferior to Daggerfall).

The main issue, for me, is how constrained they feel. It's as if the designers have spent ages making all these awesome side-quests for you to enjoy, but then you end up following the exact same route as everyone else and the characters end up feeling super generic.
This is confounded by the fact that you can literally do everything in these games, become head of all the guilds, complete all side quests... It just doesn't feel like a living world and doesn't feel like it benefits from how open it pretends to be.

This is an issue which I feel a lot of 'open world' games suffer. The designers have to decide where, on a scale, the game will fall - from making them totally procedural (which can lead to individual 'events' feeling somewhat bland), to incredibly directed (in which case, why make an open world at all?!?).
TES games seem to be edging closer and closer to the 'directed' side of this spectrum and, for me, this is the wrong direction for this kind of game to fall.

With mods, however, some of the things I dislike about Skyrim are [to some extent] fixed. But I'm not sure that mods should really be counted in judging the quality of the game as a single entity.

As for popular games I dislike
- RPGs with turn-based combat mechanics (i.e. the Final Fantasy series, Darkest Dungeon, Halcyon 6: Starbase Commander, etc.)
I love story-driven RPGs (and the art direction for Darkest Dungeon is fantastic [I'd really love to love that game]), but the combat (which is often a big part of those games) is so tedious and unexciting that I just can't enjoy them.

- Civilization games
ain't nobody got time for that
edit: that was, perhaps, not a fair criticism. I actually don't dislike the old civ games (and [if I had the time] could probably spend hours playing them). But the recent games seem to, for some reason I can't put my finger on exactly, be far more tedious and slow. I dunno, perhaps I haven't given them a fair shot, but I tried the most recent iteration and could barely last an hour before I got bored and had to stop.

- The Halo series
I still can't work out why this is so popular. The gunplay is terrible. The art direction (weapons, vehicles, armour, etc.) on the Spartans is generic and uninteresting and the Covenant aliens and equipment look ridiculous to me. The story is uninspired, predictable, and boring... I do like the main theme song, however.

Last edited:

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hate might be a bit of a strong word but I have to admit that I don't really care for Zelda Breath of the Wild. The world is neat but most of the characters seemed so shallow to me. And I really didn't like the combat with the constant weapon breakage. The puzzles also were numerous and too often didn't rely on thinking so much as doing some annoying task which made them feel like a waste of time more than problem to solve.

I just didn't have fun playing it, honestly.

Reactions: z.5

z.5

Only Half Psychic
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I don't really care for Zelda Breath of the Wild.
There were a whole lot of weird design choices that went into making that game.

It didn't take long for me, watching a friend playing (and playing when he was long bored of it), to decide that I was not a fan of what they'd done to that Zelda game.

Last edited:

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
There were a whole lot of weird design choices that went into making that game.

It didn't take long for me, watching a friend playing (and playing when he was long bored of it), for me to decide that I was not a fan of what they'd done to that Zelda game.
Felt like a pretty decent first attempt with a lot of problems to me. Which definitely doesn't fit with how people talk about it as some kind of a masterpiece. I feel like things get judged differently when they are Nintendo for whatever reason.

avensis

Banned
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Algeria
Black Ops, graphically it's horrible, I feel that there is no evolution compared to its predecessors, the zombie mode for me is not at all as fun as before, the battle mode royal friendly but we get tired very quickly especially if at the base we are not a fan!
But the thing that amazes me the most is to see a game with ridiculous content ie with a multi no more provided than other COD and especially without a campaign SOLO

Mini Militia App Lock 7Zip

Last edited: