Problems with some ピーーーーーーーー | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Problems with some ピーーーーーーーー

Iwanin

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Aka Guymelef said:
大体 今も結局オタクなわけじゃないですか
トラウマなわけないですよねえ
Maybe something like this...

When you get right down to it, isn't she still an otaku today?
I'd say there's no trauma...

As I undrestand it, the 大体 is merely acting as a starting point to the sentence, indication that it's something like the main point in an argument.  結局 ("in the end") would mean that you can beat around the bush, but there's no way around it: when you sum up how the person is, he or she is - in short - an otaku.

Aka Guymelef said:
what mean "なわけ", is it the verb 治す whit a verb formal that I don't know or... ?
Your confusion has been brought about by the evil that is hiragana. See, it's not nawake, it's na(as in na-adjective) + wake.

In kanji, な訳

And here's the definition that applies to your sentence:

7)(「わけではない」「わけにはいかない」などの言い方で)物事・状態を、それに含まれている理由・事情などをも含めて漠然とさす。…ということ。
「絶対に嫌だという―ではない」「休む―にはいかない」

A vague reference to a thing, a state and the reasons, circumstances and the like which it entails.

If you ask me, it's more like "a general reference to something and its causes and effects." That's why it's used to give explanations: sonna wake nai - that's not how it is (that's not what led to it and what's happening).

njt

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄)
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Iwanin said:
Maybe something like this...

When you get right down to it, isn't she still an otaku today?
I'd say there's no trauma...

As I undrestand it, the 大体 is merely acting as a starting point to the sentence, indication that it's something like the main point in an argument. 結局 ("in the end") would mean that you can beat around the bush, but there's no way around it: when you sum up how the person is, he or she is - in short - an otaku.

Your confusion has been brought about by the evil that is hiragana. See, it's not nawake, it's na(as in na-adjective) + wake.

In kanji, な訳

And here's the definition that applies to your sentence:

7)(「わけではない」「わけにはいかない」などの言い方で)物事・状態を、それに含まれている理由・事情などをも含めて漠然とさす。…ということ。
「絶対に嫌だという―ではない」「休む―にはいかない」

A vague reference to a thing, a state and the reasons, circumstances and the like which it entails.

If you ask me, it's more like "a general reference to something and its causes and effects." That's why it's used to give explanations: sonna wake nai - that's not how it is (that's not what led to it and what's happening).
DoH! I did read it as 結構:o my bad :s
yeah- Iwanin got it right :) great job :ossu

blah- I don't know what got over me :s はずかしぃ・・・・・(next time I'll avoid copy and pasting what you typed and type it myself, that'll prevent it)

Aka Guymelef

Intl Translator
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
France
Thnaks a lot Iwanin and Njt, unlike me you are trully a translator but I keep on working.

Why are the authors so bad with us to wrote hiragana instead of Knaji to make us difficult to understand :darn
So for the translation I guess I could use the Iwanin version.

By the way why did we have to put a "na" after the word that is used with "訳". Is it because "訳" only works with na-adjectives so we have to had a na- suffix to transform the word into na-adjective or something like that ?

Iwanin

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Aka Guymelef said:
By the way why did we have to put a "na" after the word that is used with "訳". Is it because "訳" only works with na-adjectives so we have to had a na- suffix to transform the word into na-adjective or something like that ?
It's a more general case: 訳 is a noun, so to modify it you need for the previous word to be an adjective, "na" or otherwise, or a verb (thus the frequent "to iu wake"). However, I'll check with my Japanese teacher to see if any special conditions apply to this one. :)

'course, if anyone else knows, feel free to chime in.

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Ever consider doing an Japanese-to-English translation as well Aka? You could post it here and I would help proofread it for you before you post, if that'd help.

Maybe just as something you could possibly do for the future at least ( Japanese -> French with English notes to translate to English later on? )

The manga section itself would probably garner even more interest with an English translation as well (near-universal language and all).

Aka Guymelef

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
France
How funny I was just talking to a friend about the fact that I abuse of your precious time with my probelms and in return I just translate in my french corner alone, fora few people at last. It's not like that it have to be !

Well to tell you the truth, it's not that I don't want to make an english version it is that I'm afraid that I can't do it right. Genshiken is an hard manga to translate, to tell you my translation is a lot unaccuracy because of my lack of japonese :( So to make it good as much as I can in english I must have a good level in this language but yet it's not the case, maybe you had notice that my english is terribly bad :darn.

But if I have someone to proofread then there will be no problem to make an english version. I do not doubt that english is a more valuable media to make people interest in this manga. :)

njt

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄)
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Aka Guymelef said:
How funny I was just talking to a friend about the fact that I abuse of your precious time with my probelms and in return I just translate in my french corner alone, fora few people at last. It's not like that it have to be !

Well to tell you the truth, it's not that I don't want to make an english version it is that I'm afraid that I can't do it right. Genshiken is an hard manga to translate, to tell you my translation is a lot unaccuracy because of my lack of japonese :( So to make it good as much as I can in english I must have a good level in this language but yet it's not the case, maybe you had notice that my english is terribly bad :darn.

But if I have someone to proofread then there will be no problem to make an english version. I do not doubt that english is a more valuable media to make people interest in this manga. :)
Actually I find your English to be VERY impressive! I have to teach English conversation at a "cram school" here in Japan, and you have very good English. Not to mention you are also translating a language into another one that isn't your native language which is VERY IMPRESSIVE :o!!! I don't have those skills and I respect those that do.

So yeah- you are doing something that I'm sure a lot of people wish they could do. Keep up the good work :ossu

Aka Guymelef

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
France
[HINATA MODE ON]
"キャ !!"
*Hide himself behind some wall*
[HINTATA MODE OFF]

Tnaks for the compliments but I'm not going to lie to you, sometimes I must pick up my dictionary to be sure of my words or understand what you respond te me. But nevermind I'll make an effort to make an english version of Genshiken.

By the way maybe you can respond to me another question. Well I know this is sex-related but I'm sure that you have already encountered some O. Is it a uppercase o or a zero in the first place and what does it mean exactly ? I ask it because it appears on Genshiken end chapters's joke.

I also had an idea. What do you think about a thread which contains all the japonese's bizarrery or unusal way of speak ? (I don't ask for a big all classic grammar and conjugation thread because I know it can be found elsewhere but for all things that you can't find in a manual or without going to Japan)

njt

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄)
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Aka Guymelef said:
By the way maybe you can respond to me another question. Well I know this is sex-related but I'm sure that you have already encountered some O. Is it a uppercase o or a zero in the first place and what does it mean exactly ? I ask it because it appears on Genshiken end chapters's joke.
Actually, in this case it isn't censoring something that is sex-related, more it's censoring a name of a company / well known series. Like the first one is censoring ジャンプ (like what Naruto is released in) the second one is censoring some series/show that I have no clue what it could be....

But anyways, the ○ is indeed generally used for sex stuff like...チ○ポ and the sort.....

I also had an idea. What do you think about a thread which contains all the japonese's bizarrery or unusal way of speak ? (I don't ask for a big all classic grammar and conjugation thread because I know it can be found elsewhere but for all things that you can't find in a manual or without going to Japan)
That sounds like a great idea. Also Another thread that I wanted to open in here is a "This was damn hard to translate thread" where you post something you had trouble translating, so others can see how you translated it and learn from it too :). (Let's save the This is hard to translate to single threads and then put the solutions in the "this was hard to translate" thread so as to keep that thread a bit cleaner :ossu.

Aka Guymelef

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
France
Allllright for the ○. To speak frankly I haven't begin to translate this part but I saw the ○ so I asked in prevision but if I had more attention maybe I notice the censored ジャンプ. Nevermind, let's say that the ○ is like the * when I say that "this f*ckin author give me a pain in *ss with his handwrite kanji :darn". ^^

That sounds like a great idea. Also Another thread that I wanted to open in here is a "This was damn hard to translate thread" where you post something you had trouble translating, so others can see how you translated it and learn from it too smile. (Let's save the This is hard to translate to single threads and then put the solutions in the "this was hard to translate" thread so as to keep that thread a bit cleaner ossu.
Yeah I was having the same idea that people who have some trouble to make a translation post it into single threads and, after response came out, summarize the solution into a big "goodie bag" thread like you do with all the raw/Edited Manga/translation thread for manga series.

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Aka, just PM me whenever you decide to try an English translation and we'll see how it goes. ;) And as NJT said, your English's definitely very good. Before too long, you probably won't need a proofreader :D

Aka Guymelef

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
France
Alright I'll do this and I hope that soon I will no more bother you with proofreading.

centimetre

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hahaha, I just read this and thought that you were asking for help with some *BLEEEEEEP* just from the subject line... XD durr