Question - Recommendation Thread: (Use this thread when you seek advice.) | Page 4 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Question Recommendation Thread: (Use this thread when you seek advice.)

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: I can't decide.

Btw, I do not mean to take over this thread. I do hope that more people would give a good advice to Sr. Enma :)

1. そんなんゆーてもあかんわ。(sonnanyuutemoakanwa.)
そんなん=そんなこと such a thing
ゆーても=いっても/言っても say
あかん=だめだ not good, no use

そんなんゆーてもあかんわ。= そんなこと言ってもだめだ。

2. なんもわからへん。(nanmowakarahen.)

なんも=なんにも=なにも/何も nothing
わからへん=わからない/分からない do not understand

へん = ない in Kansai dialect

なんもわからへん。= 何もわからない。 (Subject I is omitted.)

3. あーしんど。(aashindo)

あー (just a sound)
しんど=しんどい=つかれた/疲れた tired in Kansai dialect

Some more using "Kuroko no Basket" & "Beelzebub" style sentences...

4. っつーか、あんただれ? (tz-tsuuka, antadare? )

っつーか or つーか = ~というか = ~ というより/~と言うより anyway, rather
あんた = あなた you
だれ 誰 who

っつーか、あんただれ? = というより、あなたは だれですか?
Put the suffix "は wa" after the subject (you).

5. からだだるー。(karadadaruu.)
からだ/体 body
だるー = だるい tired

Put the suffix "が ga" after the subject. からだが、だるい。

6. んなこといってんじゃねーよ。(nnakotoittenjaneeyo.) <-- You can translate this in 2 ways.

Context is important. You can translate the phrase in 2 ways.
<1st translation>
んなこと = そんなこと such a thing
いってんじゃねーよ = いって(言って)るんじゃないよ = 言うものではない Don't say ~

んなこといってんじゃねーよ。そんなことを、言うものではない。
Put objective suffix "を o" after the object (such a thing).

<2nd translation> It means different from the 1st
いってんじゃねーよ = いって(言って)るんじゃないよ = いって(言って)いるのではない I am not saying ~

んなこといってんじゃねーよ。そんなことを、言っているのではない。

7. どうでもいいんスよ。(doudemoiinsuyo.)
どうでもいいんスよ =どうでもいいのですよ It doesn't matter. I do not care.

ス = のです is often used among boys who belongs to sport related clubs.

8. まじっスか?(majissuka?)
まじ = ほんとう/本当, しんけん/真剣 really, seriously
まじ came from まじめ serious
ス = です

9. てめーのせいだろ-が。(temeenoseidarooga.)
てめーの=おまえの/お前の=あなたの your
せい fault
~だろうが= であろうに Isn't it ~

10. それなんスけど...。(sorenansukedo ....)
それ it
ス=です
ナンス=なんです=なのです

それなんスけど = それなのですが
Talking about that...
About that ...

Last edited:

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania
Re: I can't decide.

When I decided to start learning japanese, I chose the internet dah...but as time passed, I grew wiser and entered some bookstores...I found some manuals and they've proven to be more useful than internet sites...
But then I grew even wiser and decided to join a Japanese Cultural Center, so this way I ensured learning the language in a more controlled and responsible way, and I met japanese people with whom I can talk in Japanese so language is kept alive

asiaphone10

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
The Fishbot thread

sir... i am a newbie... and i have joined today...
i dont know where i must start as a translator...
where i get source for translate it??
example is air gear...
thx for your attention...

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
The Fishbot thread

Hello and welcome to mh asiaphone10.

The Translators' Academy here has some great resources / guides that can help you with translating manga.

Now as for specific manga raw source, I think a search on google, yahoo or your local search engine by entering the manga name you're looking for can help you find the available resources.

Last edited:

perroloco

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
(CH) Question about manga in China.

Hi, I have been following a blog which posts lots of kanzenban manga volumes which aren't released even in Japan, i.e. Kajika, Level E, Akira Toriyama One-Shots, etc.
The manga licensor's name seems to be Left & Right Comics.
But I know no Chinese at all, anyone care to explain me if those mangas are bootlegs or original? And if so how can I order them?

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: (CH) Question about manga in China.

Hi, I have been following a blog which posts lots of kanzenban manga volumes which aren't released even in Japan, i.e. Kajika, Level E, Akira Toriyama One-Shots, etc.
Kajika: wiki links in English & in Japanese.
Just for your reference, Kajika's 1st volume is available in Japan.

.............edit.........................
Use online tools such as Google Translate to read the text in Chinese. I only looked at Kajiki area, but Google Translate seems to be good enough. To see more images of the book, you click on 阅读全文 (read all).The first image shows 145x210, which may be the size of the book. You will also see images of Weekly magazine covers (#32, 37-38) inside as well. This should be a large sized/bootleg color-restored premium edition.

Other members could give you advice on how to contact Chinese bookstores. You can simply confirm the information with sellers.

---------- Post added at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 AM ----------

Can anyone recommend good bookstores that sell manga in Chinese (in this case Simplified Chinese)?

Last edited:

perroloco

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Re: What would you guys recommend?

So it is a bootleg after all? I have been looking for @Left & Right Comic but I haven't had any luck, If anyone knows if they have a site please tell me :)
Also I have been googling for @Kajika Kanzenban (In chinese) which is 卡吉卡 完全版 with no results apart from the blog.. I mean, I am sure at least other blogs would have info on it, or a chinese bookstore but nothing :*(

Last edited:

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: (CH) Question about manga in China.

So it is a bootleg after all? I have been looking for @Left & Right Comic but I haven't had any luck, If anyone knows if they have a site please tell me :)
Also I have been googling for @Kajika Kanzenban (In chinese) which is 卡吉卡 完全版 with no results apart from the blog.. I mean, I am sure at least other blogs would have info on it, or a chinese bookstore but nothing :*(
The edition may not be official. I found an old post in Spanish, which I read w/ Google Translate. (Google search term: "Left&Right Comic Studio") The book can be very well just a scanlated edition. You probably can read the article since you are from Mexico.

Last edited:

perroloco

Reaction score
Country
Mexico

Thanks for your efforst mikkih, basically what the poster said in that mexican forum is the same.. He is guessing whether those are bootlegs or fakes, if the publisher is legitime or not.. And the had been searching with no avail..
Frankly I think only a person with a good knowledge of chinese AND savvy at the ways of searching the net could help here.
EDIT: I don't think they are fake, they might be bootlegs, maybe the guy (or team) who did this bought the issues in which the colored pages/cover pages ran in WSJ.
Also is intersting to note that they have done kanzenbans like: Kajika, Cowa, Level E, Akira Toriyama One-Shots (Released around the world as Akira Toriyama Theater IIRC) and Akira Toriyama Collaboration (One-Shots with Akimoto, Katsura and Oda)
In the Akira Toriyama Theater there is a One-Shot which was published back in the first V-JUMP issue and the editions have that color page.. I think getting that particular V-JUMP could have been difficult so I am believing this might be official, who knows?
Though there is another counter-proof (Does that word exist in english LOL?) that in the same One-Shot book there is a manga which doesn't include its colored pages... So either they couldn't get the Issue in which the colored pages were printed in or Shueisha lost them (Unlikely)..

Last edited:

perroloco

Reaction score
Country
Mexico

Yeah lol, that thread was made by me, Its amazing I hadn't post that blog there.. I could have sworn I had already did.. Seems like I didn't.

kaizokuhime

Reaction score
Country
India
[Jp] How/Where did you learn the colloquial talk?

I'm new to translating manga, I've studied japanese for about a year and I can understand & speak in the polite form and plain form very well but I just can't understand the colloquial/plain stuff in the mangas!
Where did you learn it? Or does it come from lots of experience?
Is there possibly some guide/textbook that can help me understand it better?

Moromis

Reaction score
Country
United States
General Question Concerning MangaHelpers

Hi, I just noticed whenever I looked for a series I was thinking of doing a translation for that it had a tag in red on the side:

Submitted releases are disabled for this Manga in some languages due to licensing restrictions. MangaHelpers Administration are aware of this and are following up with the relevant license holders.

I looked high and low, and didn't find even one series without this. How do I find series that I can actively translate and work on?

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: General Question Concerning MangaHelpers

Hi, I just noticed whenever I looked for a series I was thinking of doing a translation for that it had a tag in red on the side:

Submitted releases are disabled for this Manga in some languages due to licensing restrictions. MangaHelpers Administration are aware of this and are following up with the relevant license holders.

I looked high and low, and didn't find even one series without this. How do I find series that I can actively translate and work on?
Here are some links.

To find manga titles in MH, visit:

Browse Manga
Search Manga

To find out current projects by Manga Editors, visit:
Staff and Project Resources

To find out licensed manga titles in English, visit Wikipedia:
List of manga licensed in English

cmertb

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: General Question Concerning MangaHelpers

If you want to submit a translation, it's not a release. Feel free to translate anything you want. Although you might want to check if someone else is doing that manga already. It's not a good idea to duplicate effort.

Ju-da-su

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Thailand

The word "release" there is referring to Edited Manga and raw, basically any "graphic version" of the manga. Translation isn't included in them, so you can go ahead and post translations for any series as you wish here.

REN KOUEN

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
i am interested in learning to translate

japanese to english , i want to learn to read and translate kanji
how should i go about beginning to learn, and can i participate in the translators academy?

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: i am interested in learning to translate

japanese to english , i want to learn to read and translate kanji
how should i go about beginning to learn, and can i participate in the translators academy?
Welcome to Translation Academy!

If you are just starting to learn the Japanese language, please visit TA's Translators' Classroom to start. (TA's main board is for translators who seek help in translation.)

Some useful threads that might interest you include:
Translators' Classroom
Sticky Threads

* The Japanese Study Thread
* Useful Links Thread!
* Learn kanji with Kanji gold.
Normal Thread
* What is the best way to learn Japanese ?
* How long did it take you to learn Japanese and start reading RAW manga?
* Can you guys read a manga knowing basics of Japanese??!
* Easy Manga to Practice Translating

---------- Post added July 25, 2012 at 12:12 PM ---------- Previous post was June 26, 2012 at 05:24 PM ----------

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Responding to a question that I received:

Q: Where can I post my requests to translate manga that created?

A: Translation Academy Forum (TA) does not handle full translation requests in any languages.
Best places to browse and post your requests would be: Forum: Staff and Project Resources and Forum: Amateur Manga.

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: Translator

I received a question how to start translating on MH today.

member/only the main part of the question said:
I would really love to start translating from Japanese but I'm still very unclear about how I go about it. What do I do?
If you would like to register as "Translator" then please visit Translators' Guide and follow the registration instruction. (Please ignore the Translator Level Check. The project is semi-permanently on hold.) You must upload at least 5 translations before requesting your status to Translator (here) . Since MH does not offer raws, please use your own manga to translate. As an exception, a few chapters from mangareborn are available here on MH.

If you plan to join any Edited Manga groups, visit Staff and Project Resources. It is like a classified board. Edited Manga groups are not associated with Mangahelpers, so please make your own judgement to decide which one to join if you do.

Lastly, TA main board is for translators who have accuracy questions about their own translations, while TA Classroom is for general discussions.

Hope this answered some of your questions that you may have.

---------- Post added April 19, 2013 at 05:05 PM ---------- Previous post was April 02, 2013 at 05:30 PM ----------

I received a question about how to register as a JP>German Translator. Please read my previous post first. When you are ready to request your status change, please request to become an "International Translator" instead of a "Translator." Translator title is reserved for JP to ENG translators only.

Last edited:

sheux

Reaction score
Country
China
Seeking help for "Adding a translation"! Thanks a lot!

I want to translate English Manga Version into Chinese. But I don't know how to find the English Manga content in section of "Adding a translation". I want to be an E-C translator in MANGAHELPERS.COM.
you know, without English raw mateiral, I can traslate nothing. How can I ask others to approve my translation?

Last edited: