Discussion - Romance in Shokugeki no Soma | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Romance in Shokugeki no Soma

BaBYShiBa

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
That face is just too cocky, even for my tastes. It's like going to a job interview and say to your potential future employer "I'm more qualified than you are. Was my resume good? Was it bad? TELL ME!" She is at least versed in diner food since she knows that it's supposed to taste good on the third bite. Yes, their choices of cuisine are complete opposites, so I'm looking forward to a battle between them where they take each other completely serious.
Yeah, that was a pretty bad first impression he had given, coupled with the commoner-style dish he served to her. It was always going to be a ticking time-bomb. xD

Besides, 'plebeian' cooking/dishes will always be frowned upon in a culinary institution with an elitist mentality, but I think Souma will be the one to reverse that thinking, & ensure it has a place in the school. :)

StingingNettle

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, that was a pretty bad first impression he had given, coupled with the commoner-style dish he served to her. It was always going to be a ticking time-bomb. xD

Besides, 'plebeian' cooking/dishes will always be frowned upon in a culinary institution with an elitist mentality, but I think Souma will be the one to reverse that thinking, & ensure it has a place in the school. :)
He will create the Special of the Day Research Society as a second year in the Elite Ten, calling it now haha. It will help if he got the backing of Erina, the future leader of high class cuisine, after some development (maybe a shokugeki). That will make it easier to accept for the elitists in the school.

On another note, I wonder if rumors of a relationship between Erina and Souma have already spread throughout the school. Mitsuru got that one picture of her greeting them with a warm smile, she twice tasted his dish which is supposed to cost a ton of money, they got into a car and chatted, and were seen next to each other at the Autumn Election as well during class + after (in no particular order). If one were not to know the details, it would be very easy to see it as more. Rumors are also more likely to float around the famous.

(reminds me of someone on these forums)
What is with this passive aggressiveness? If you have beef with someone, please settle it in private chat instead of throwing side jabs.

Last edited:

NyoiToy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Soma's skills in the beginning of the manga compared to Jouichirou is night and day, I don't think Erina can be faulted for that.

IF you're applying to a school or a job and you see the HR interviewing you is the serious type, would you tease, mock, and challenge them? You say Erina was childish and while that might be true, Soma was too. We can see throughout the manga that not only Erina has prejudgement against 'plebeian' dishes, even after stagiaire we could see people calling Soma's cooking as too 'heretic' for Tootsuki. Perception wasn't easily changed, and Erina only thought that 'people like you aren't needed in Tootsuki Academy'. She clearly changed her mind since she was mad that Soma's booth was in the red the first day and risked being expelled.

As cooking and romance goes... Erina has tasted many of Soma's dishes by now but I don't think Soma has ever tasted Erina's dishes aside from the one shot chapter which is not part of canon anyway. I hope that Soma would taste Erina's cooking soon. I don't think Erina's level is the same as Shinomiya yet but I can't wait to see his reaction.

It wouldn't matter where soma's skills were, they were good enough to get into the academy and handle all sorts of situations that would emerge, he is his father's son... if you don't think him working alongside joichiro for all those years wouldn't have had an influence that would be silly. Also if Erina wants to thumb her nose at everyone because they are so below her, then she must be held accountable for it... if she couldn't even see joichiro's influence in soma's cooking she herself is a scrub. Not only that, she didn't respect the art, and let her ego get in the way of accepting an applicant into the academy.

Sure other people were closeminded too... it's typical in a lot of manga... you have the main dude that comes at some field with an unorthodox approach and constantly overcomes the naysayers... that doesn't excuse her from her incompetence, and if you are going to have such a gigantic ego, you better have the competence to back it up.

I imagine soma would find erina's cooking pretty blase blase. She probably cooks like her personality, very rigid, arrogant, and hoity toity.

What is with this passive aggressiveness? If you have beef with someone, please settle it in private chat instead of throwing side jabs.
WhiteKnighting is boring...

BaBYShiBa

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
On another note, I wonder if rumors of a relationship between Erina and Souma have already spread throughout the school. Mitsuru got that one picture of her greeting them with a warm smile, she twice tasted his dish which is supposed to cost a ton of money, they got into a car and chatted, and were seen next to each other at the Autumn Election as well during class + after (in no particular order). If one were not to know the details, it would be very easy to see it as more. Rumors are also more likely to float around the famous.
I don't see why it hasn't. :p

A normal student in Tootsuki wouldn't dare to get in close proximity to her, let alone hold a conversation. Souma, on the other hand, manages to do this, nonchalantly & effortlessly. xD

I can't stress enough how the banter/dynamics between both of them is, & continues to be, one of the most satisfying & enjoyable things (you just can't get enough of it! xD) in this manga. :derp

StingingNettle

Reaction score
Country
United States

A normal student in Tootsuki wouldn't dare to get in close proximity to her, let alone hold a conversation. Souma, on the other hand, manages to do this, nonchalantly & effortlessly. xD

I can't stress enough how the banter/dynamics between the both of them is, & continues to be, one of the most satisfying & enjoyable things (you just can't get enough of it! xD) in this manga. :derp

Ha I know right? They always manage to put a smile on my face whenever they're together. Imagine her reaction if some of these rumors actually reaches her ears. Maybe, just maybe, that is when she'll finally see him as a man (mate?).

WhiteKnighting is boring...
If you have more to add besides this vague statement, say it directly to me through pm.

Last edited:

BaBYShiBa

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Ha I know right? They always manage to put a smile on my face whenever they're together. Imagine her reaction if some of these rumors actually reaches her ears. Maybe, just maybe, that is when she'll finally see him as a man (mate?).
I think there're 3 steps to this process.

1. Recognizing him as a cook worthy of Tootsuki's standing/name
2. Acknowledging him as a [legit] rival
3. Once the above 2 criteria are met, romance can then set in :p

O, check this out (some special summer vacation diary thingy in the latest Jump magazine)! :derp

-August 29th (Sat)
-Helped out at Mitamura's Western Cuisine summer-only beach hut.
-Was it my imagination, or did Erina-sama look like she wanted to join in?
-Erina: C-Come back soon.

-Signboard: Mitamura's Western Cuisine/Beach Hut/Napolitan-style yakisoba

-Bottom: Shokugeki no Souma (Tsukuda Yuuto, Saeki Shun, Morisaki Yuki)

My
~ >//<

StingingNettle

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think there're 3 steps to this process.

1. Recognizing him as a cook worthy of Tootsuki's standing/name
2. Acknowledging him as a [legit] rival
3. Once the above 2 criteria are met, romance can then set in :p

O, check this out (some special summer vacation diary thingy in the latest Jump magazine)! :derp

-August 29th (Sat)
-Helped out at Mitamura's Western Cuisine summer-only beach hut.
-Was it my imagination, or did Erina-sama look like she wanted to join in?
-Erina: C-Come back soon.

-Signboard: Mitamura's Western Cuisine/Beach Hut/Napolitan-style yakisoba

-Bottom: Shokugeki no Souma (Tsukuda Yuuto, Saeki Shun, Morisaki Yuki)

My
~ >//<
Once that happens, there will need to be a trigger for her to finally realize it. I can just imagine Alice bringing her the false rumors. Erina will just deny it, but then the thought takes root, "corrupting" her.

Hisako in a bikini and a shirtless Souma. Can this be considered to be canon?

BaBYShiBa

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Once that happens, there will need to be a trigger for her to finally realize it. I can just imagine Alice bringing her the false rumors. Erina will just deny it, but then the thought takes root, "corrupting" her.

Hisako in a bikini and a shirtless Souma. Can this be considered to be canon?
Alice will ship & tease her about it, I can imagine. :p

Canon? Perhaps not, but its certainly in-character of them to do so, right now! Haha! xD

I also don't rule out the possibility of a similar situation [canonically] happening in the near future, since its always a norm to have a beach arc during summer vacations! :derp

seizzoverow

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
i ship tsukasa eishi x megumi tadokoro

a profesional chef that have a weak personallity and motherfully chef it's perfect chemistry.

fauxeric

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
While I might not be an expert on manga, or anything of the like, i would still like to put some input into this conversation.

The biggest clue to who I think Soma will end up with is hinted with what Joichiro said at the beginning, which is that he needs to cook for someone he (Soma) loves.

First off, I believe that an Erina and Soma romance is one of the three logical conclusions. I came up with this being one because there are a few factors that point to it. First, there is Soma's declaration that he will get Erina to say that his food is delicious, which fits in with Soma's father's advice. There is also the fact that Erina usually acts flustered around Soma, and also the fact that he somewhat broke her panic when her father came to her booth during the Moon Banquet Festival. There possibly might be a "knight saving the damsel in distress" situation coming up, and that generally leads to a deeper relationship. I also believe that both are helping each other grow, both as people and as chefs. That's why I believe that the "bratty" girl personality was shown for she could be rewarded for changing, not because she stayed the same through out the series like some static character.

However, as I said, there seemed to be three logical relationship conclusions, I believe the second one is Megumi. While she might not be as flustered around Soma, Megumi has definitely shown a lot of growth as being a chef and a person so far because of Soma. Megumi has also worked with Soma a lot, and has tried many of his recipes, even though many were bad, fitting with Joichiro's advice. They also live in the same dorm, which might mean something.

The third logical relationship with Soma is with Mayumi. While there is not much about her so far in the manga or anime (if it continues), there are a two reasons why this is still one of the logical conclusions. First, she is a childhood friend, which means that they have technically spent the most time together, and they have shared many memories together. There is also what Soma said to her near the end of the Market arc, where Soma tells Mayumi that he will be willing to whip up something for her whenever is in the district, which seems to be another tie-into Joichiro's tip.

These relationships seem the most likely to me. However, there might be information that I missed or hasn't come out yet that points to another relationship.

One thing I definitely think will happen is that at least two of any possible girls that he will have a relationship with will go into a shokugeki against each other to decide who will have him, even if he doesn't agree with it, because it is "final."

Remember, this is just an opinion and theory. You can critique it, but I ask you to do so politely. Also, I think another good question, which might be elsewhere, is why Joichiro never graduated from Tootsuki.

Sherlupin

Reaction score
Country
France
I'm torn between Soma x Alice and Soma x Hisako

kjskjs

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
I'm torn between Soma x Alice and Soma x Hisako
Soma x Hisako <3
They looks like a cute couple during stagiaire period

Last Panel ^^ (Chap 105)

and from Chap 109

Sherlupin

Reaction score
Country
France
I also ship Soma with her

^^

Sherlupin

Reaction score
Country
France
Why is Ikumi in love with Soma again?

I just can't get throught it...

I get that Kurase loves him because she thinks he's cool and stuff
I get that Megumi (let's not kid ourselves, it's official) loves him because he's nice to her

but why is Ikumi infatuated with Soma? It just seemed to be out of the blue, has it even been explained or hinted?

Demonspeed

Damegami
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Re: Why is Ikumi in love with Soma again?

Because of what he said to her after their Shokugeki? These kind of things happen.

Aonori

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Re: Why is Ikumi in love with Soma again?

Becuz' plot demands it! (even if it's a very sub plot point)...:3c

Zekiel

Reaction score
Country
United States

I can't stress enough how the banter/dynamics between both of them is, & continues to be, one of the most satisfying & enjoyable things (you just can't get enough of it! xD) in this manga. :derp
Because souma really is fearless. its insane he wants acknowledgement from her. she gets all flustered. he tempts her with his cooking in a casual appealing way. she cares for him when situations are serious. Its hype she's not the typical tsundere,. she's more sophisticated. http://www.mangareader.net/shokugeki-no-soma/120/4 they know about em xd

REN KOUEN

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
there have already been a few indications of romance
the chapter where megumi and soma went with ishiki to do charity cooking with the kids, it was mentioned about her feelings developing towards soma

so this is not a ROMANCE manga, but that does not mean it will be a shounen manga without some romance
soma is building a nice little harem, he will have his choice between meg, erina, hisako, rindou, or mito

trutalu

Reaction score
Country
United States
The only two characters that have any real potential with Soma are Megumi and Erina any other character that that takes interest in him should not be taken seriously. These are the two advertised girls, who have the biggest influence on Soma's Character. Personally I like to think he has better chemistry with Megumi, she's usually at the heart of some of his reckless plays, and he goes out of his way for her more than he would for some of his other friends. (Their potential has been love is really subtle)
BUT I wont deny the (very obvious) direction that is Erina x Soma. As he kinda treats her like his goal. Hes always trying to beat her or impress her.

It can be really hard to differentiate feelings is Megumi just a friend or is she more? Likewise with Erina, Is she his #1 Rival or more?

I find it funny thought because In the manga I feel like I get more of a romantic Implication of SomaXErina, But in the anime there were very strong implications of SoMegu.

REN KOUEN

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
The only two characters that have any real potential with Soma are Megumi and Erina any other character that that takes interest in him should not be taken seriously. These are the two advertised girls, who have the biggest influence on Soma's Character. Personally I like to think he has better chemistry with Megumi, she's usually at the heart of some of his reckless plays, and he goes out of his way for her more than he would for some of his other friends. (Their potential has been love is really subtle)
BUT I wont deny the (very obvious) direction that is Erina x Soma. As he kinda treats her like his goal. Hes always trying to beat her or impress her.

It can be really hard to differentiate feelings is Megumi just a friend or is she more? Likewise with Erina, Is she his #1 Rival or more?

I find it funny thought because In the manga I feel like I get more of a romantic Implication of SomaXErina, But in the anime there were very strong implications of SoMegu.
yes i do believe those two girls would be the front runners if any romance happens in this manga, and i agree that megumi would be the winner at this point

however with erina always being featured in images, and being a main character since the beginning, i could definitely see her being a possibility, (not to mention the ties to soma's dad that we dont know about yet)

but soma being the main character means he will have more girls fall for him, i agree though, it is only a two girl race