[Round 1 - Team 5 vs Team 8 Singles 1] Irie vs Niou | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

[Round 1 - Team 5 vs Team 8 Singles 1] Irie vs Niou

Who will win?

• Irie Kanata

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • Niou Masaharu

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
After some thinking, I reached this conclusion:

A guy that has almost unlimited copy skills and a guy that we haven't seen playing 100 %. No matter how much we discuss, there's no clear winner here.

So I'm gonna vote for Irie, just because we haven't seen his full potential, and Niou's limited to the guy he decides to copy.

LetalHawk

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Spain
And what about Yips? Wouldn't that work with Irie?

I just think Niou can win some games and make Irie play all out. Personally, Niou right now is stronger than the Atobe who faced Irie and probably stronger than Atobe right now. But the shame is even if he improved his stamina, mental and physical abilities (probably) that doesn't prevent him from losing to Irie.

What could he do against very strong and fast shots from a serious Irie, phantom yes, but maybe that would hurt his arm, but it should last enough maybe to make him win, unless Irie finds how to break the technique.

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Depends which Yips. Yips that can be overcome with an Aura as it makes the opponent feel like it will lose and has no chance of winning?
Or new Yips that simply cannot be broken since it makes the opponent think he is winning and has no chance of losing.

I don't think Niou would have seen new Yips so I doubt that would work.

LetalHawk

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Depends which Yips. Yips that can be overcome with an Aura as it makes the opponent feel like it will lose and has no chance of winning?
Or new Yips that simply cannot be broken since it makes the opponent think he is winning and has no chance of losing.

I don't think Niou would have seen new Yips so I doubt that would work.
Yes, definitely, new improved yips from Yukimura would leave Irie helpless, in despair. There's no way to win against those yips unless somebody can take points from Yuki or has an aura like BA or Tenimuhou. Serious Irie won't be yipped, but if he goes troll mode against Yuki, and Yuki yips him and makes him go into a dream, then he won't win. I still believe and won't change my mind, Yukimura > Irie (serious irie) all the way.

But I'm wondering how Niou would copy Yips as is impossible I think, it's like a natural ability (like Jirou's magic volley).

TheShiraishi

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Just reading these 2 pages proves that neither one has a clear advantage. I'm gonna vote Niou just because he's cooler IMO xD

ashore

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
i give this win to niou. this decision increases in niou's favor if this tourny occurs after the manga match with niou/atobe doubles match.

niou definintely showed that his illusion is advanced and has evolved. Nious has seen the best Pot 1 jrs play, even at the u-7 camp.

can irie defeat echizen / tezuka/ fuji/ sanada/ yukimura/ atobe with atobe kingdom? and can irie defeat himself?
as of now, niou has seen irie play. ( he knows about being toyed on and that irie has great skill)

according to irie's stats he lacks strength. if niou can harshness the strength of gin or kabaji, irie may not stand a chance.
but having access to the top tier jr high schoolers. if Irie can defeat niou who can use the best abilities and skills of the top Jr high schoolers. which my opinion is no.. then he'lll win niou.

i havent seen irie's abilities increase via special techniques since playing with atobe, but he was toying with him, but his general skills definitely increased since he beat a 1st stringer recently.

Last edited:

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Don't see how you think this proves it was the same Irie. Irie plays at all kinds of different levels.
It's not a definite proof by any stretch of the imagination, but I would say it heavily indicates it. So far, Konomi's been trying to compress as much information into just a few pages as he could and I think when looking at it like that, especially since it was the only thing we've really seen in that match, you can get Akiba > Shuffle!Irie from that.

You can see what I said with the last line Kaoz. The furious expression on Irie's face is not what we saw against Atobe.
Different Irie's.
Sure, after then it's a stronger Irie than the team shuffle one. I never contested that.

He practically out did Atobe who is said to be good at long matches. He pretended his shoulder couldn't move when it could move fine.
If Atobe is a stamina monster which he might well be, then Irie has to be.
Atobe's ankle was injured though, so that comparison doesn't hold water. On the contrary, when you look at the bottom panel, they are both on the ground, even though Atobe had to move that much more than Irie. This really underlines that Irie's stamina isn't great.

Prove that he stopped acting.

I'd say those three pages, and especially what Atobe says in the last one, show that he didn't act anymore.

You can't prove that. Niou's smash can be returned by Fuji with Higuma Otoshi.
don't know why you think his Speed should have increased either. Not everybody's speed increased.
The power part is pretty obvious from the G10 match imo. It's hard to say anything about Niou's power in the Fuji match because he downgrades his stats to fit the person he copies. It might be that he could have done it, but Tezuka/Shiraishi weren't able to.

Speed should have increased for everyone, at least a bit. It might not have increased by a whole lot though.

What makes you think he will get a good idea of Irie's real strength? He may not. Irie could hand him a false impression of himself for many games like he did with Atobe.
He could only do that with Atobe because he was that much stronger than him. As I said, I don't think that the difference between Irie and Niou is as high as you make it out to be, hence he wouldn't be able to keep his act up and still score enough.

Chances are Irie didnt want to render his arm useless
Fair point. I guess what I was getting at is that we saw Mouri combat it while Irie just really didn't show anything of the sort.

It's questionable whether it would work, but a moot point in this match since Niou shouldn't be able to copy it. As you correctly say later on, Yips is Yukimura's personal ability, something Niou can't copy.

as of now, niou has seen irie play. ( he knows about being toyed on and that irie has great skill)
He hasn't actually. The losers didn't witness the 3rd vs 5th court matches and they played at the same time during the revolution matches. Although someone else might have told him about it.

according to irie's stats he lacks strength. if niou can harshness the strength of gin or kabaji, irie may not stand a chance.
I doubt that Irie is helpless against power players, although all I can base it on are Oni's PP comments.

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
Niou can copy techs, not stats. He´ll never become Taka or Gin. He´ll never become Kenya or Kamio.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Not necessarily.
Here he is standing, when he could have continued with the match. I think Irie has perhaps solid stamina.
Well yeah. I chose that page/panel as it depicted both Atobe and Irie as equally exhausted, and in the one you linked Atobe bumped into a wall and fainted. If not for that, he might have been able to continue just like Irie would have been able to.

I think the 2 Irie had on the stat sheet is very much justified for that point in time. It's probably a bit higher now, but my main point was that it shouldn't be on Atobe's or apparently Niou's level (really if Irie turns out to be one of the G10, I wouldn't be surprised if his stamina was the lowest of the bunch).

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

Irie Kanata: 9 votes
Niou Masaharu: 2 votes

Winner: Irie Kanata

Status
Not open for further replies.