Discussion - S-Class Ranking | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

BluePegasus

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I was wondering in which way the S-Class Wizards from Fairy Tail should be ranked. Now, there are five S-Class Wizards in Fairy Tail which are:

Gildarts
Laxus
Erza
Mirajane
Mystogan

What is your top 5 S-Class Wizards ranked from the strongest to the weakest?

This is mine:

1. Gildarts
2. Laxus
3. Mirajane
4. Mystogan
5. Erza

Ice devil slayer

Reaction score
Country
France
My s class ranking
1.laxus
2.gildarts
3.erza
4.mirajane
5.Mystogan

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
In This Timeperiod
laxus
gildarts
erza
mirajane
mystogan

Acnologia_Boss

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Algeria
Laxus
Gildarts + mira
mystogan
erza

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Mira getting a lot of love.

Laxus
Gildarts
Erza (might even be 2)
Mira
Mystogan

I actually don't know if Mira has passed Mystogan yet, he would have beat her in Tartarus arc. Just gonna roll with everyone improving while Myst doesn't even live in Earthland anymore :(

Ice devil slayer

Reaction score
Country
France
Mira getting a lot of love.

Laxus
Gildarts
Erza (might even be 2)
Mira
Mystogan

I actually don't know if Mira has passed Mystogan yet, he would have beat her in Tartarus arc. Just gonna roll with everyone improving while Myst doesn't even live in Earthland anymore :(
I don't see erza being stronger than gildarts

XXEliteXXAceXX

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
I was wondering in which way the S-Class Wizards from Fairy Tail should be ranked. Now, there are five S-Class Wizards in Fairy Tail which are:

Gildarts
Laxus
Erza
Mirajane
Mystogan

What is your top 5 S-Class Wizards ranked from the strongest to the weakest?

This is mine:

1. Gildarts
2. Laxus
3. Mirajane
4. Mystogan
5. Erza
Which timeskip are you referring to? Also, like NoHana mentioned, Gildarts is SS-Class but I know what you mean here.

Before Edolas Arc
  1. Gildarts Clive
  2. Mystogan [Jellal]
  3. Laxus Dreyar
  4. Erza Scarlet
  5. Mirajane Strauss
After Edolas Arc
  1. Gildarts Clive
  2. Laxus Dreyar
  3. Erza Scarlet
  4. Mirajane Strauss

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Is there such a thing as SS class wizards? There's such a thing as SS class missions, but I just thought he was S-class.

Kiki

Ruin me, Ruan Mei
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
Is there SS-class title? There are only S-class mage and non S-class mage, imo. It would be unfair if SS-class mage participated as an examiner in S-class mage trial

Beginning of the series:
  1. Gildarts Clive
  2. Laxus Dreyar
  3. Mystogan
  4. Erza Scarlet = Mirajane Strauss (might even be Erza is stronger than Mira because they are coeval but Erza was promoted to S-class mage earlier than Mira)
Current:
  1. Gildarts Clive >= Laxus Dreyar
  2. Erza Scarlet = Mirajane Strauss (should be)

Last edited:

XXEliteXXAceXX

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
You guys are right that it was never stated in the manga that there was an SS-Class [Only Missions] but I like to distinguish between S-Class and SS-Class because Gildarts in on a whole different level in my eyes. Plus, I think Hiro Mashima intended to include the SS-Class Missions to imply that there is a level beyond being a regular S-Class. Kind of like an Elite S-Class or something.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
SS-class or not there is a distinction between Gildarts and the other S-class, well at least that is the portrayal. I think the ace of FT is probably suitable enough (he's likely not the ace anymore). I don't see the S-class title being anymore than permission to do S-class jobs.

Mystic Mistral

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
India
My ranking
1. Gildarts
2. Laxus
3 Mirajane / Erza
4. Mystogan

Holt

#1 Ranker
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
If I were to rank them based on my personal opinion and what I think it'd be, I'd say:
  1. Gildarts
  2. laxus
  3. Erza
  4. Mirajane
  5. Mystogan

If we're going strictly by all we've seen so far, Laxus would be above Gildarts, simply because from last we saw Gildarts, his feats though comparable to Laxus were ultimately inferior. But even going by that and his magic, he's still close to Laxus. I do believe that the next time Gildarts shows up, he'd show feats superior to Laxus and would reclaim his spot as FT's top because he doesn't exactly hold that anymore or well, it's not as clear as before that he was superior.
We don't know what's up with Mystogan so he'd obviously come in last. Even if we were to gauge him based on Jellal's strength, we haven't seen the latter since the timeskip. At most, I'd have Mystogan slightly above Mira

BluePegasus

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Based on last chapter, I'd change my ranking:

1. Laxus
2. Gildarts
3. Mirajane
4. Mystogan
5. Erza

Since Laxus can solo a Spriggan, I'd say he surpasses Gildarts with no doubt. If Crimson Thunder can defeat Wahl, it can one shot Gildarts as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

XXEliteXXAceXX

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Based on last chapter, I'd change my ranking:

1. Laxus
2. Gildarts
3. Mirajane
4. Mystogan
5. Erza

Since Laxus can solo a Spriggan, I'd say he surpasses Gildarts with no doubt. If Crimson Thunder can defeat Wahl, it can one shot Gildarts as well.
I wouldn't really count Laxus' Crimson Thunder. It really wasn't his own magic. Last chapter was a complete mess. There is no way Laxus can suddenly attain power from his great grandfather unless we have detailed explanation from it. If he always had it, he should have used it against many opponents in the past including the Tartaros Arc. There is literally only one possible explanation for such a feat, even so, it would be far-fetched. Also, using one of Freed's magic was total nonsense. What is the point of each character having unique magics when Natsu can just spend a year teaching Gray Fire Dragon-Slayer Magic while Gray teaches Natsu Ice Devil Slayer Magic. For those who believed Erza won every fight because "She's Erza", they should take a good look at this fight. Perhaps this applies to Laxus too.

Although I never really liked Natsu getting Igneel's power because I want him to show his true character development through other power-ups like Dragon Force, it made a lot more sense than this.

This fight didn't really prove how Laxus would fare against Gildarts let alone a one-shot.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
It shouldn't really be disputed that Red Lightning was under Laxus' power... it was. He's shown a nuke that was hyped to end Ajeel, so him having a move that is that can defeat a Spriggan is at least acceptable within the portrayal of the manga.

What can be disputed is 1) how Red Lightning came to be used; and 2) how it worked on Wahl.

1) My opinion right now is that RL is a PoF thing. Laxus' feelings to protect the guild are deep. As Mavis mentioned Yury was the same. The 'red' is symobolising that this feeling is something in Laxus' blood. So thru PoF 'somehow' the yellow lightning turned into a reddish/black lightning that Wahl couldn't defend against. I reserve the right to change this view if/when RL gets explained. This is the most questionable part of last chapter and I understand why there are polarised opinions about this.

2) Wahl is immune to lightning attacks but not RL. But RL is lightning which destroys machines. So if RL can bypass Wahl's lightning immunity and hit Wahl as if he was a normal robot then RL would actually be super-effective against Wahl. That would mean RL isn't a move that oneshots Spriggan tiers. I can accept this, as RL only looked like a really powerful punch and is not even a DS technique.

I place Laxus above the likes of Wahl, God Serena and Ajeel. Gildarts would be somewhere around Jura based on pre-skip standards. I get the feeling that if Gildarts does come back this arc he'll be much stronger than pre-skip, it would be disappointing to deflate Gildarts portrayal in the manga (he's already done that to Jura/Bluenote, and murdered the GoI).

I actually think Erza has a legitimate claim to no.2 in S-class above Gildarts.