Discussion - S-Class Ranking | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

XXEliteXXAceXX

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
It shouldn't really be disputed that Red Lightning was under Laxus' power... it was. He's shown a nuke that was hyped to end Ajeel, so him having a move that is that can defeat a Spriggan is at least acceptable within the portrayal of the manga.

What can be disputed is 1) how Red Lightning came to be used; and 2) how it worked on Wahl.

1) My opinion right now is that RL is a PoF thing. Laxus' feelings to protect the guild are deep. As Mavis mentioned Yury was the same. The 'red' is symobolising that this feeling is something in Laxus' blood. So thru PoF 'somehow' the yellow lightning turned into a reddish/black lightning that Wahl couldn't defend against. I reserve the right to change this view if/when RL gets explained. This is the most questionable part of last chapter and I understand why there are polarised opinions about this.

2) Wahl is immune to lightning attacks but not RL. But RL is lightning which destroys machines. So if RL can bypass Wahl's lightning immunity and hit Wahl as if he was a normal robot then RL would actually be super-effective against Wahl. That would mean RL isn't a move that oneshots Spriggan tiers. I can accept this, as RL only looked like a really powerful punch and is not even a DS technique.

I place Laxus above the likes of Wahl, God Serena and Ajeel. Gildarts would be somewhere around Jura based on pre-skip standards. I get the feeling that if Gildarts does come back this arc he'll be much stronger than pre-skip, it would be disappointing to deflate Gildarts portrayal in the manga (he's already done that to Jura/Bluenote, and murdered the GoI).

I actually think Erza has a legitimate claim to no.2 in S-class above Gildarts.
My bad... You're right that it wasn't Yury's power but it still does not excuse this poor feat. The ending statement was purely illogical. Lightning that surpasses lightning is still lightning. Wahl being invulnerable to lightning and then suddenly getting defeated in one-hit was a major downgrade. I mean this essentially is Erza except you replace Fairy Tail members' images with Yury himself. However, there is less criticism because of the rumor about Laxus' attack and the science that does not back it up. The blood theory was totally made up by fans. I would need more information to believe in such a PoF feat.

Honestly, Yury didn't really have any sort of impact in any of this. It is more believable for him to think of Makarov otherwise he should have thought about Yury in the Tartaros Arc. This is unless he trained during the one year timeskip but he had to had some source of power, right? If it was not from Yury, then it was pointless to include the flashback. It could have been better if it was because Laxus trained and grew really strong. The fact that the whole chapter mentioned Yury indicates a little suspicion.

Gildarts is being severely underestimated once again. Gildarts was never equal to Jura. That was a misconception by fans and a figurative statement to hype Jura. We saw Natsu trembling with fear against Gildarts but never mentioned about Jura being immensely powerful. If anyone knows better, it is Natsu.

Crimson Ice

Reaction score
Country
Vandenreich
Pre x791:

1.) Gildarts
2.) Laxus
3.) Mystogan
4.) Erza
5.) Mirajane

X791 (GMG arc):

1.) Gildarts
2.) Laxus
3.) Erza
4.) Mirajane

Current Arc:

1.) Laxus
2.)Gildarts
3.) Erza
4.) Mirajane

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
My bad... You're right that it wasn't Yury's power but it still does not excuse this poor feat. The ending statement was purely illogical. Lightning that surpasses lightning is still lightning. Wahl being invulnerable to lightning and then suddenly getting defeated in one-hit was a major downgrade. I mean this essentially is Erza except you replace Fairy Tail members' images with Yury himself. However, there is less criticism because of the rumor about Laxus' attack and the science that does not back it up. The blood theory was totally made up by fans. I would need more information to believe in such a PoF feat.
Yea I'm not going to defend the use of PoF at all. To me it was. It made Laxus lightning red as far as I can tell. As for feats Laxus and Wahl showed plenty before RL, enough to not downgrade them. Wahl had offence that is top tier including an Etherion cannon in his arm. Laxus was able to fight against Wahl despite sickness and his lightning being ineffective. I'd give them both the same rating as I do now if Etherion had just killed Laxus in the state he was in.

Honestly, Yury didn't really have any sort of impact in any of this. It is more believable for him to think of Makarov otherwise he should have thought about Yury in the Tartaros Arc. This is unless he trained during the one year timeskip but he had to had some source of power, right? If it was not from Yury, then it was pointless to include the flashback. It could have been better if it was because Laxus trained and grew really strong. The fact that the whole chapter mentioned Yury indicates a little suspicion.
The Yury part was for Laxus' character. If RL is actually a tech from Yury then it has even more meaning. It could be a foreshadowing of Laxus doing something big for the guild later. It's speculation at this point, but I thought the Mavis part was fine.

Gildarts is being severely underestimated once again. Gildarts was never equal to Jura. That was a misconception by fans and a figurative statement to hype Jura. We saw Natsu trembling with fear against Gildarts but never mentioned about Jura being immensely powerful. If anyone knows better, it is Natsu.
No I'm saying that Jura is on the same level as Gildarts (and I'm not referring to Makarov's comments, I'm basing it on performance where Gildarts fights Bluenote for example). Just like Jellal is on the same level as Jura. There is going to be slight differences between them. Gildarts can't beat Jura easily, it would be a tough match. Laxus could quite easily defeat Jura now. The whole MP thing was a lesson, Natsu learned from it as seen when Hades released hidden magic which made Erza tremble with fear... but Natsu was the one who inspired them to fight.

Sora

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
France
- Guildartz
- Lakusas
- Erza
- Mirajane.

Nothing new. Maybe later for Erza & Mirajane upcoming demo.

juviichan

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Israel
mine :
1. Gildarts Clive
2. Laxus Drayer
3.Erza Scarlet
4. Mirajane Strauss
5. Mystogun

reesestl

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
  1. Gildart
  2. Laxus, Jellal
  3. Erza
  4. Mirajane

Synn

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Portugal
My ranking:
  1. Gildarts
  2. Laxus
  3. Erza
  4. Mirajane
  5. Mystogan

Rain Cloud

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Old post . . .

BoS
1. Gildarts
2. Laxus/Mystogan
3. Erza
4. Mirajane

Current Arc
1. Gildarts (prime)
2. Laxus
3. Gildarts (non-prime)
4. Mirajane = or > Erza (no PoF)
5.. Mystogan (pre-pre time skip)

Takuan

Reaction score
Country
France
Mystogan shouldn't even be relevant anymore.
He's not been shown at all since Edolas arc, and while Gildarts isn't shown often either, he probably kept training. At least we don't know. Whereas Mystogan has no magic to begin with (as he is from Edolas), he only possesses magic staves. And now that Edolas doesn't have magic at all anymore, i don't see any way he could have trained.
Mystogan now is way below everybody else.

My ranking:

Before Edolas arc:
1) Gildarts
2) Laxus >= Mystogan
4) Erza >= Mirajane

Laxus and Mystogan are portrayed to be equal, however i think Laxus has a slight edge.
Same for Erza and Mira, mainly due to the fact that Mira lacked training from her emotional breakdown.

Tartaros arc:
1) Gildarts
2) Laxus
3) Erza
4) Mirajane
5) Mystogan

At this point i know that Erza's fights are getting more and more full of bullshit. The problem is, despite having tons of possibility, Erza's kit is very one dimensional (that is a paradox i admit).
What i mean is, she has a lot of armors ok, but she fights ONLY with armors. And weapons. At some point she can't really only rely on these against strong ennemies. And thus Mashima needs to help her via PoF.
I'm not disappointed when it comes to PoF, contrary to all of fans. It's part of the manga (Fairy Tail is all about family spirit and friendship after all). The fact that Erza (and Natsu, though slightly less) got a lot of PoF in their fights just get to show how strong of a will they have and how much they care for their friends. I don't really mind, even if sometimes it makes their fights... Meh.

In any case, Erza's strong will made me rank her just above Mira.

Current arc:

1) Laxus
2) Gildarts
3) Mirajane
4) Erza
5) Mystogan

In my eyes Laxus is now better than Gildarts. At the very least he's closer and clloser from surpassing him (same goes for Natsu). We can't know it yet, but that's my opinion. If Laxus still isn't stronger than Gildarts, it's a matter of time. Thus i put Laxus first and Gildarts second.
I don't think either Erza or Mira surpassed Gildarts. However, Mira despite having mediocre battles or no battle at all, progressed more than Erza. I didn't see any progress from Erza this arc to be honest, whereas Mira acquired a haxy Seilah Take over

Last edited by a moderator:

Char

Reaction score
Country
Spain
What @Takuan said. Heck, I can even see Glidartz falling below Erza if he hasn't trained/comes back the same he did in Tenrou.

However since I'm a big fan of Glidartz I'd like to bet he'll come back at least as strong as Laxus.

Also, S-class shouldn't be considered a class anymore, but a tier. This tier would be followed by Wizard Saint tier and preceeded by A-class or mid-high tier mages.

These tiers made more sense before the timeskips, especially the latest timeskips where S class doesn't seem to be a factor anymore.

In any case, if you consider anything from Tenrou Natsu on to be S class tier, then even Max is S class tier, since let's remember, Max dominated Tenrou Natsu.

So if I had to make an S class tier, I'd probably cut at GMG Max level (which could be equalized to Tenrou base Natsu or even beginning of series Erza level).

People above S-class in Fairy Tail are: Natsu, Gray, Erza, Gajeel, Mira, Makarov, Laxus, Glidartz, Stardress Lucy and likely Juvia (borderline).

Current arc S-class tier

1. Full-powered DF Wendy (borderline Wizard Saint)
2. Freed
3. Lily
4. Stardress-less Lucy (provided that she can summon at least 3 spirits at the same time and still be capable of fighting, also cast Urano Metria)
5. Elfman
6. Partial DF Wendy
7. Bickslow
8. Evergreen
9. Levy

Borderline S-class tier

1. Base Wendy
2. Max
3. Lisanna
4. Alzack
5. Bisca

So, Natsu, Gray, Erza, Gajeel, Mira, Makarov, Laxus, Glidartz, Stardress Lucy and Juvia should probably be SS-class (WS tier) and the others should be S class, whereas base Wendy, Max, Lisanna, Alzack, Bisca and maybe some others may be plausible candidates for S-class exam, what do you guys think?

Plutogrim

Reaction score
Country
United States
Current:
1. Laxus
2. Gildarts
3. Erza
4. Mystogan
5. Mirajane

Ebony Maw

Reaction score
Country
Sunspear
Current:
1. Laxus
2. Gildarts
3. Erza
4. Mystogan
5. Mirajane
I'm guessing that's supposed to be the other way around? As for my lists:

BoS

1. Gildarts
2. Mystogan/Laxus
3. Mira
4. Erza

Current

1. Gildarts/Laxus (hype version of him)
2. Gildarts (non-hype)
3. Mira/Erza
4. Mystogan

Janard

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
1) Laxus - Defeated a Spriggan-level opponent who could nullify his lightning-based attacks.
2) Gildarts - Age and his injuries from Acnologia (loss of left arm and leg) might have impeded his room for improvement.
3) Mirajane - I placed M above E because she has shown nukes of incredible proportions (notably Soul Extinction against Freed and recently against Heine & Juliet) and the fact that Alegria emanates so much MP that the sea starts to evaporate/part convinces me that Mira possesses more destructive powers.
4) Erza - IMO Erza is Balanced-Defensive/Tank while Mira is a Speed-Power hybrid, and I base this ranking on attack strength so E is below. But I acknowledge that E might last longer in battles due to the Requip being less magically-draining compared to Takeover (allegedly).

Laxus chan-yo

Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
1. Laxus (obvious at this point)
2. Gildarts (I still think his power will be relevant, there is a reason Hiro-kun is delaying his return)
3. Erza (solid fighter, enough said)
4. Mirajane (still gonna get trolled like usual though)
5. Mystogan (irrelevant tier now)

SleipnirX

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As of the series' start:
1) Gildarts
2) Laxus
3) Erza
4) Mystogan
5) Mira

That's one reason I was never particularly bothered by Erza's feats in earlier arcs and up to her fight with Kyouka - she's still a much higher ranked Mage from the outset than the others, so it kinda makes sense she would clean up. It just kind of descended into farce from Tartaros onwards though, which I felt was the point at which the enemies should have started being meaningfully stronger than even S class FT mages.

Series end:
=1) Laxus and Gildarts - not enough info to properly tell them apart
3) Erza - still just behind, though not by a huge amount
4) Mira - progressed in power pretty decently, but was treated poorly by plot
5) Mystogan - suffers from not having been seen since much earlier in the series

Laboon

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
via Power Scale
Gildarts
Erza
Laxus/Mirajane
Mystogan

via Hax
Laxus
Mirajane
Erza/Gildarts
Mystogan

:super

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
If we go by the standards at the start of the manga then basically most of FT would easily be S class rank material. At least all of the main cast would be easily. Back when the manga started the s class mages were gildarts, laxus, mistogan, erza and mira. And all of them became s class when they were presumably weaker than at that point. The weakest person in that group when the manga started was likely mira who was still reasonably comparable to erza. So, how many people in the manga towards the end are stronger than mira at the start? I would say literally everyone that went to tenrou easily surpasses that towards the end. And then a few others too considering that right after the timeskip max was able to give non power up natsu more than a run for his money.

Cosmicstar

Reaction score
Country
United States
There are multiple SS Class mages within Fairy Tail

Erza is one of them given her immense durability and endurance. Not to mention Nakagami and Red Pants armor easily place her on Spriggan level.

Erza destroyed a Dragon Spriggan level enchantment Meteor with broken bones.

Then you have Natsu who destroyed an unlimited amount of Magic and the power of time with his flames.

This was him in base mode.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
What is an ss class mage? was that ever mentioned?

Cosmicstar

Reaction score
Country
United States
What is an ss class mage? was that ever mentioned?
That is what Gildarts was. He could take SS class jobs which were more experienced and powerful S class amges.