First Round - Saki vs. Fairy Tail | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

First Round Saki vs. Fairy Tail

Who wins?

• Saki

• Fairy Tail

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belserion

Queen of Dragons
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Antigua and Barbuda

Saki
Ritz Kobayashi
-

Fairy Tail
Hiro Mashima

Rules
- You are allowed to vote for one Manga
- After 5 days, the Manga with the most votes will proceed into the next round
- In case of a tie, a staff pick will break it

Special Rules
- We proudly encourage you to share the best pics of your Manga!
- Earn the possibility to win a badge by being the proudest Mangalover around!

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
Well, looks like I need to start campaigning now!

Introduction:

What is Saki? Well, it's manga based around high school girls playing Mohjang at the competitive level (with Supernatural phenomena thrown in the mix).

Which means there a plenty of best girls! 1 2 3 4 5

And by plenty, I mean everyone.

What do you mean by everyone?

EVERYONE!!!!!

We've got shy, but scary Title Protag Saki!

And of course, the heroine that totes in love with Saki. Also, obligatory gag boobs.

Cute but scary lolis!

Glasses Moe!

Token hyperactive board!

My personal waifu, Hisa Takei!

(who does the coolest BM tsumos in the series)

Idiot hair girl!

and so many more!

"But what about the d00ds?"

Well, there is this guy.

But he sucks at Mahjong, so nobody cares about him. (He's also oblivious to the fact he's in series with a yuri subplot)

This guy is pretty suave

But's he mainly a teleports behind you, badass butler.

Next up is talking about Mahjong and how well the series portrays it.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
What is Mahjong?

Mahjong is like poker/Gin rummy in the sense you're trying to build winning hands. The difference is that you're not betting chips, but rather trying to build a hand that is dangerous to play around.

To start, we need to identify the types of tiles used: Suits and Honors.

In Mahjong there are three Suits:

1. Pinzu

2. Souzu

3. Manzu

Then there is Honor Tiles:

1. Winds

2. Dragons

The general idea in Mahjong is to get four melds, a pair, and a yaku to win a hand. A pair is very straightforward, so I don't to explain it (though in a few cases what being paired matters).

Melds are sets of three that come in either the form of a chi, pon, or kan. A chi is a run or three consecutive numbers (so no honors).

Ex. 4p5p6p would be a chi of pins. Noted you can only make melds of the same suit, so 4p5s6m isn't a chi.

A pon is a three of kind while a kan is a four of a kind.

Now, melds can either be closed or open. A closed meld is a meld hidden from the players (except Closed Kan). An open meld is formed when another player calls from the last discarded tile.

Ex. If I have a pair of red dragons and the next person to discard gets rid of a red dragon, I may call "pon" to make an open meld of red dragons then discard a tile.

Chi can only be called from the person on your left.

If any hand has open melds, then the hand is no longer closed and thus open. This is important in regards to yakus.

Kan is a special meld, since it can be done in three ways: Closed, Open, Added.

A closed kan looks like this:

Notice how the outer is faced to the opponents? This is why they know your closed kans. Your hand is still considered closed with closed kans.

An Open Kan can only be made when you have a closed pon and call the fourth discarded tile (like the 1p in the image above).

An added Kan can be called when you have an open pon and draw the fourth tile. You can't add from a discard.

Each kan calls adds a dora and removes a replacement tile (a dead wall draw you get for calling kan), with only four replacement titles. Therefore, a fifth kan call resets the game.

And now the yaku.

A yaku is a condition that determines the value of a hand. A player must have one yaku in order to win the round. Here is a list of all the yaku.

I am not going to go over all of them, since most of them are standard/easy to get and happen frequently in the series. But I will explain the ones you need to know.

Menzen Tsumo: Self Draw win on a closed hand. This means any combination of melds and a pair on closed hand is valid with this condition because the menzen tsumo is the yaku.

Richi: A call you can make when you're hand is closed and one away from winning (tenpai). With declaring richi, you must put a 1000 point stick in the center and the discard tile sideways. You can't change your hand and must declare ron (win on discard) on your waits or go into furiten (sacred discard. Can't ron anymore). There some other things which you read in the wiki.

Haitei: Tsumo on the last draw tile before dead wall. Amae's call sign :)

Houtei: Ron on the last discard

Rinshin Kaihou: Tsumo after calling a kan. Saki's calling card

Chankan: Calling ron on an added kan. In one case (13 orphans), a closed kan can be ron'd

Chitoi: 7 unique pairs. A closed only hand with a fixed fu (hand comp points)

Thirteen Orphans: 1p9p1s9s1m9mESWNWhGR and a duplicate. ! and 9 in all suits are called terminals, fyi. It's a yakuman hand and worth max limit.

Nine Gate: 1112345678999 of one suit and one duplicate. Closed only

Tenhou: Dealer (east wind) gets a complete hand on the first draw

Chihou: Non-Dealer gets a complete hand on the first draw.

Renhou: Non-dealer gets a complete hand on a ron before their first draw and no one has declared an open meld.

Point Calculation:

Point calculation is broken down into two parts: Fu and Han.

Fu is based off hand composition (closed pon, closed kan, pair wait, etc). All fu is rounded up, even if it's 32 or 34. This isn't true for chitoi, which is always 25 fu,

Han is based off the number of yakus and dora. The dora is the tile to the right of the dora indicator (the revealed tile on the dead wall, third right). Having one Dora adds one han to the hand. (So a pon of Dora in a winning hand is 3 han). As said earlier, kan adds more dora by flipping over another dora indicator. (Right of the first dora indicator). There is other type of dora such as the red fives and uradora you can read about.

Point calculation takes a lot of time to memorize through hans 1 - 4, but at 5 or more han the count is easy.

5 han - Mangan (8000 ND, 12000 Dealer)

6,7 - Haneman (12000 ND, 18000 Dealer)

8,9,10 - Baiman (16000 ND, 24000 Dealer)

11, 12 - Sanbaiman (24000 ND, 36000 Dealer)

13+ - Yakuman (32000 ND, 48000 Dealer)

Other stuff:

A lot of other stuff can be read on the wiki, but it's good to remember furiten and chombo. Furiten occurs when your winning tile is in the discard and thus you can't declare ron without penalty (chombo). Chombo is a severe oversight and the person who commits the chombo must pay the other players. Their hand is also dead, thus they can't win that round.

That's the basics of the game, next I will talk about the manga itself.

Nemispelled

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Agreed with the post above. Feat-wise, FT takes this. Hype-wise, FT still takes this.

Therefore, FT wins easy diff.

**Silver**

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Finland

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
Anyway, time to talk about the manga more.

This manga, along with The Legend of Koizumi and Akagi, are probably the Big 3 in terms of Mahjong manga. Unlike the other two, the hands played out are fairly normal (Legend of Koizumi starts out with President Bush getting Tenhou lololol. Meanwhile, cheating is prevalent in Akagi).

Sure, the odds are improbable (like going three kans in a row to form a counted Yakuman), but the hands can happen in real life.

Funny, since Nodoka (Miss Gags Boobs) outright disregards any of the supernatural stuff.

I also there was a yuri subplot, I am not wrong.

It's all over the place. These girls are gay for each other. Except Tacos (Yuki), who totally is hetro for the token guy in their club.

Oh!

This series does plenty of fan service for those that come a top priority.

For some people...

I will be back later to highlight some of the best moments in the series.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
yeah i agree Alvarez was bad but still overall the series was fun and good...
And Saki is better, in my opinion.

It even does the main appeal of FT better ie the fanservice.

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
What is Mahjong?

Mahjong is like poker/Gin rummy in the sense you're trying to build winning hands. The difference is that you're not betting chips, but rather trying to build a hand that is dangerous to play around.

To start, we need to identify the types of tiles used: Suits and Honors.

In Mahjong there are three Suits:

1. Pinzu

2. Souzu

3. Manzu

Then there is Honor Tiles:

1. Winds

2. Dragons

The general idea in Mahjong is to get four melds, a pair, and a yaku to win a hand. A pair is very straightforward, so I don't to explain it (though in a few cases what being paired matters).

Melds are sets of three that come in either the form of a chi, pon, or kan. A chi is a run or three consecutive numbers (so no honors).

Ex. 4p5p6p would be a chi of pins. Noted you can only make melds of the same suit, so 4p5s6m isn't a chi.

A pon is a three of kind while a kan is a four of a kind.

Now, melds can either be closed or open. A closed meld is a meld hidden from the players (except Closed Kan). An open meld is formed when another player calls from the last discarded tile.

Ex. If I have a pair of red dragons and the next person to discard gets rid of a red dragon, I may call "pon" to make an open meld of red dragons then discard a tile.

Chi can only be called from the person on your left.

If any hand has open melds, then the hand is no longer closed and thus open. This is important in regards to yakus.

Kan is a special meld, since it can be done in three ways: Closed, Open, Added.

A closed kan looks like this:

Notice how the outer is faced to the opponents? This is why they know your closed kans. Your hand is still considered closed with closed kans.

An Open Kan can only be made when you have a closed pon and call the fourth discarded tile (like the 1p in the image above).

An added Kan can be called when you have an open pon and draw the fourth tile. You can't add from a discard.

Each kan calls adds a dora and removes a replacement tile (a dead wall draw you get for calling kan), with only four replacement titles. Therefore, a fifth kan call resets the game.

And now the yaku.

A yaku is a condition that determines the value of a hand. A player must have one yaku in order to win the round. Here is a list of all the yaku.

I am not going to go over all of them, since most of them are standard/easy to get and happen frequently in the series. But I will explain the ones you need to know.

Menzen Tsumo: Self Draw win on a closed hand. This means any combination of melds and a pair on closed hand is valid with this condition because the menzen tsumo is the yaku.

Richi: A call you can make when you're hand is closed and one away from winning (tenpai). With declaring richi, you must put a 1000 point stick in the center and the discard tile sideways. You can't change your hand and must declare ron (win on discard) on your waits or go into furiten (sacred discard. Can't ron anymore). There some other things which you read in the wiki.

Haitei: Tsumo on the last draw tile before dead wall. Amae's call sign :)

Houtei: Ron on the last discard

Rinshin Kaihou: Tsumo after calling a kan. Saki's calling card

Chankan: Calling ron on an added kan. In one case (13 orphans), a closed kan can be ron'd

Chitoi: 7 unique pairs. A closed only hand with a fixed fu (hand comp points)

Thirteen Orphans: 1p9p1s9s1m9mESWNWhGR and a duplicate. ! and 9 in all suits are called terminals, fyi. It's a yakuman hand and worth max limit.

Nine Gate: 1112345678999 of one suit and one duplicate. Closed only

Tenhou: Dealer (east wind) gets a complete hand on the first draw

Chihou: Non-Dealer gets a complete hand on the first draw.

Renhou: Non-dealer gets a complete hand on a ron before their first draw and no one has declared an open meld.

Point Calculation:

Point calculation is broken down into two parts: Fu and Han.

Fu is based off hand composition (closed pon, closed kan, pair wait, etc). All fu is rounded up, even if it's 32 or 34. This isn't true for chitoi, which is always 25 fu,

Han is based off the number of yakus and dora. The dora is the tile to the right of the dora indicator (the revealed tile on the dead wall, third right). Having one Dora adds one han to the hand. (So a pon of Dora in a winning hand is 3 han). As said earlier, kan adds more dora by flipping over another dora indicator. (Right of the first dora indicator). There is other type of dora such as the red fives and uradora you can read about.

Point calculation takes a lot of time to memorize through hans 1 - 4, but at 5 or more han the count is easy.

5 han - Mangan (8000 ND, 12000 Dealer)

6,7 - Haneman (12000 ND, 18000 Dealer)

8,9,10 - Baiman (16000 ND, 24000 Dealer)

11, 12 - Sanbaiman (24000 ND, 36000 Dealer)

13+ - Yakuman (32000 ND, 48000 Dealer)

Other stuff:

A lot of other stuff can be read on the wiki, but it's good to remember furiten and chombo. Furiten occurs when your winning tile is in the discard and thus you can't declare ron without penalty (chombo). Chombo is a severe oversight and the person who commits the chombo must pay the other players. Their hand is also dead, thus they can't win that round.

That's the basics of the game, next I will talk about the manga itself.
This person done posted the entire rules of Mahjong as an argument for their series. I have no choice but to vote for this madness.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Why does @Sky never campaign for his nominees?

While I just let the question hang there, allow me to say a few words on Fairy Tail's behalf. The first word is, of course, Erza...

...nuff said.

Now let me go on to say that Fairy Tail as a whole is perhaps one of the most consistently fun battle manga ever made. What it lakes it depth it more than makes up for in it's joyous approach to adventure. And that's really what it's about. Delivering heroic adventures and putting smiles on it's reader's faces. And it did that over and over more consistently than almost any other long running manga series I've read.

Now I know there are a lot of haters of Fairy Tail out there. It wasn't always perfect. But I can easily think back to a dozen moments where it's brand of heroism was powerful enough that I can still remember it to this day. Natsu beating Jellal to save Erza, Makarov using Fairy Law for the first time. These moments are what made Fairy Tail as a series worth experiencing and worth remembering. And something I'm happy to vote for.

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
Why does @Sky never campaign for his nominees?

While I just let the question hang there, allow me to say a few words on Fairy Tail's behalf. The first word is, of course, Erza...

...nuff said.

Now let me go on to say that Fairy Tail as a whole is perhaps one of the most consistently fun battle manga ever made. What it lakes it depth it more than makes up for in it's joyous approach to adventure. And that's really what it's about. Delivering heroic adventures and putting smiles on it's reader's faces. And it did that over and over more consistently than almost any other long running manga series I've read.

Now I know there are a lot of haters of Fairy Tail out there. It wasn't always perfect. But I can easily think back to a dozen moments where it's brand of heroism was powerful enough that I can still remember it to this day. Natsu beating Jellal to save Erza, Makarov using Fairy Law for the first time. These moments are what made Fairy Tail as a series worth experiencing and worth remembering. And something I'm happy to vote for.
Excuse you, but Mahjong is a very deep, fun, and competitive game.

One of my favorite moments in the series is when Yumi, a straight up good Mahjong player that’s all work and has no abilities, sets up a Chankan trap against Saki.

After back to back Rinshan kaihous, she notices Saki’s open 2s pon. In order to stop her momentum, she changes her wait to be a 2s in order to Ron off an added Kan.

It’s a stunning moment since she gives up Mangan to do this, which frees up the game until Amae makes her run.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I like to find new and fun things to read. This sounds really cool (Saki) and Econ has done a fantastic job campaigning for it so far. Respect :super

Meanwhile the opposition is weak and so is their manga sooo... Saki it is.

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
I like to find new and fun things to read. This sounds really cool (Saki) and Econ has done a fantastic job campaigning for it so far. Respect :super

Meanwhile the opposition is weak and so is their manga sooo... Saki it is.
Consider watching the anime as well, since the individuals are shown there.

The manga does a good job on the mental game of Mahjong, with players reading the discard and situation well.

Well....except for Miss Beginners Luck but she’s a cute moe and a stand in for viewers new/unfamiliar to the game.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
Yeah Saki seems interesting,i may pick it up soon.

Seraph

Reaction score
Country
Finland
Voting Fairy Tail,it's the Manga that brought me to MH in the First Place(yo,Zeref Spriggan here*coughs*) and if not for the 2nd Half of the Final Arc it would've had a decent Ending. Gets way too much hate considering that it has flaws/had mistakes even some of the "Greats" within it's Genre have/had. Overall a fun read,had some pretty good fights and for me some cool Characters to boot.
That is one of my reasons,the other being that i never read Saki although going by what i've heard of it and read of it in here it seems to be somewhat similar to Kakegurui. Seems interesting but not enough to have me give it my Vote here.

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
Voting Fairy Tail,it's the Manga that brought me to MH in the First Place(yo,Zeref Spriggan here*coughs*) and if not for the 2nd Half of the Final Arc it would've had a decent Ending. Gets way too much hate considering that it has flaws/had mistakes even some of the "Greats" within it's Genre have/had. Overall a fun read,had some pretty good fights and for me some cool Characters to boot.
That is one of my reasons,the other being that i never read Saki although going by what i've heard of it and read of it in here it seems to be somewhat similar to Kakegurui. Seems interesting but not enough to have me give it my Vote here.
But....but you said you were going to vote for Saki.

And no, it isn’t like Kakegurui. It’s a lot more wholesome and the girls aren’t psychopaths.

Status
Not open for further replies.