Semifinal - Son Hak vs. Marian Cross | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Semifinal Son Hak vs. Marian Cross

Who wins?

• Son Hak

• Marian Cross

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky

Otaku Overlord
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Son Hak
Akatsuki no Yona
-

Marian Cross
D.Gray-Man

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
I didn't have the time to prepare anything yet, so I'll recap and come back later.

But I do believe that this is gonna be even harder if people are solely going by my words instead of actually knowing something about Hak, so I ask you guys to check out Akatsuki no Yona first two chapters. I would beg, but I'll save it for if it becomes necessary '_' Some alrdy said they are willing to check the series, and this wouldn't take much time and will help you come out with your final decision, I'm sure. Two birds with a single rock.

Also, trust @GrySun 's judgement that Son Hak is simply awesome ^_^v (yes, I'll abuse you here) As a character alrdy, but also as a Husbando.

Now, here's the recap:

01- AN INTRO ABOUT SON HAK:
I'll try ^_^

Lemme give you an intro then.

Picture this: you're not living your best phase, you're often displaying selfishness and immaturity and you lack the knowledge, purpose and character to live up to your responsabilities, not being able to move past your own whims and narrow sight.
And then, against the odds, an old friend that knows you since forever - and grew up into a skilled, funny and kind 1.9m tall blue eyed, dark haired and fit man - demonstrates he knows you beyond your shameful current self and sees the best in you, way more than you're able to, and deeply loves who you for who you are.
It's hard not to see Yona as someone freaking lucky in the love field afer that, right?
Now in a bit I'll start a bible on Haksbundo '-'
02- MY PERSPECTIVE ON SON HAK AND WHY I NOMINATED HIM:
Yosh, here we go! Some OP music for the mood~ Be aware that if there is anything in spoiler tags, it's cause it is a spoiler.

CHARACTER PROFILE
  • Name: Son Hak
  • Titles: Raiju (Thunder Beast)
  • Series: Akatsuki no Yona
  • Quick Summary: Hak is one of the leaders and generals from the Wind Tribe, and a childhood friend of Princess Yona. He was adopted by the tribe leader and became the Wind Chief at the age of 15, after he grew to be well respected due to his talents and good relationship with people. He serves as the Princess's bodyguard, since the king entrusted him the position.
Akatsuki no Yona is a shuojo and, because of that, there are a lot of things to point out about Hak as a Husbando material.

If I sound generic, it's for the sake of not spoiling people about the series.
I'll try to be as specific as I can without commenting much on the story, which prevents me from using examples.

MAIN ASPECTS AS A HUSBANDO
  • Hak is devoted and caring
It's clear from the very beginning that Hak values Yona more than anything else, and would place her well being before his own life. He states he serves her as a weapon, but what differenciate him from other devoted characters is that he knows he's responsable for the Princess image and memory, he's also there as an important figure to lead her way till where she belongs to be, and can't just die while protecting her; he has to live, for her. Hak endures hardships, taking his mental and physical strengh to keep them all safe, including her other companions and friends, and his tenacity is a shown of how dedicated he is to the Princess.
"I'm immortal. Actually, I can't afford to die. I've got a troublesome princess to look after."

• Hak is respectful and supportive
In spite of the nature of his feelings for the Princess, he has the status of a good friend and a guardian. Due to that, Hak keeps his impulses restrained, and respects her feelings and desires, fighting his thoughts whenever they resurface, even though it hurts to do so. The lack of response doesn't prevent him from nurturing pride for the Princess abilities and persona, he admire her decisions and stances and follows her for what she can provide for the realm as well. He's a bodyguard and a servant, but that's not due to a submissive nature. Hak is a warrior and a Chief and chose to be in his position out of respect for the people that both the King and the Princess are. He might have different opinions on some matters but will follow and defend the ones he believes in, without measuring efforts. He chose to embrace Yona's cause and ways.
“When you protect someone you want to keep safe, do you always weigh your own life against theirs?”

• Hak is funny and sassy
The dude is a troll... He's mischievous, mocks and provokes everyone and anyone, and Yona is his best target. The series has a lot of gag and quite often Hak is involved in it. Who doesn't value someone that can make you laugh and keep your spirit lifted, specially during the darkest days? Who doesn't ackonowledge someone who can shield you even from their own pain, and keeps moving forward with you, with a smile on his face?

• Hak is a goddamn epic and skilled fighting machine
... which is sexy as hell. He's called the Thunder Beast and is said to possess supernatural strength and skills. He's so freaking badass... and seems to enjoy taking on the challenge and gracefully embraces responsabilities. And he fights with a damn Halberd.............. that's too much for my silly RPGer self, it's too hard not to fangirl him... He can and WILL carry his friends out of a raging battlefield while heavily injured.

TL;DR SUMMARY

Going straight to the point: this character was actually built to be a Husbando.
In resume, Hak could be a cliche hero-bodyguard like in other series, but he's also a hilarious asshole, with a big heart, and a beast as a fighter. I'll save his complexity for the ones that decide to watch the anime or read the manga^^ He's not the white knight in shiny armor type, 'cause he's a transforming force over his SO: was essencial for the weak and spoiled princess to grow into a strong willed and righteous girl. Your SO has to be someone that challenges you and leads you to growth. In spite of how much Hak wants to protect Yona, he's aware of her role in the world and not only accepts her path, but pushes her towards it and heavily participates in her development.

FINAL TEASING

So hope that will spur you to support

03- A BETTER CHANCE FOR YOU GUYS TO BUILD YOUR OWN OPINION:
Ok, so, in the previous round, I tried to provide my own perspective on Hak, which also explains why I nominated him for Best Husbando.
For this one, I decided to share some series moments with you so it stops being an abstract image for you guys and you can build your own. That should help you with your vote not only now but ahead, if we have the chance^^

That also leads to more honest votes and, for better or worse, I prefer it that way. Af caus my perspective will still be there, though, since I'll keep commenting. May the real best one, according to an instructed majority, win!

Again: if there's something in spoiler tags that explicitly warns you about content, then consider if you wanna check it in case you're planning on following the series.

This is one of my fav parts so far^^ What I get from it is that the root of his feelings is some profound admiration of the one he loves. The things he sees in his SO and the person's essence are crystal clear, and due to that his feelings are solid. It remains like that throughout all the series, Hak never seems to have any doubts about what the princess means to him.
Those are great feats in a husbando, someone whose feelings are immutable, who knows you deeply in spite of what you display, who gets dazed by things you didn't even know you had in you, and would love for others to aknowledge your value as well. You think you're just a shadow in his greatness, but in his eyes you're above everything, and that makes you wanna go further.

So, as I said before, Hak is the princess bodyguard. During the series, it's not uncommon for him to get harmed while protecting her. He's often seen as serious, harsh and mocking others, which makes him more interesting and not dull, but you also get a lot of examples of his selfless and concerned nature. I personally believe that before being a great partner one should be a great human being overall, and Hak not only act like that with the princess, but is often sheltering people in battles and providing for the group, he's a role model in his tribe (and also its Chief), no wonder he's so estimated there. If only more people had kind natures... maybe we'd be living different times.

As I said, he can be harsh xD I see that as La Pasión, though :hurr
He's a very manly character for the ones that appreciate it (altho I'm somewhat indifferent to that), but in spite of that, you can see the fire and will in his actions. Being loyal and committed and often reassuring, he's also objective and straightforward if by chance things weren't clear. He'll give his SO space if his feelings aren't reciprocated, but that doesn't mean he'll hide. Another important feat he has: he's determinated, secure, he gets himself out there, and also mature and sensible enough not to press on, if it's not the place. He stated it many times: he wants his SO to be happy, and that sufices.

So yeah, Hak abnegated a lot of things for Yona - titles, his homeland, safety and stability - but he claims he's home and free due to being by her side - not even with her, since they're not together. The way be gets torn between fearing about something bad happening to her and yearning for her to fight and strive and grow is also beautiful...

In a world where everything is so fickle... and relationships are so ephemeral, to the point that love doesn't even look like a bless or something lucky anymore, but utopia... I wanna believe people can still have partners like that^^ At least I see a lot of it in mine, and value it, which also makes me feel more certain of what I cherish deeply about my own SO, and what I like to see mirrored in characters I consider to be epic husbandos, like Hak <3

Just some cute fun to end^^

04- WHY I BELIEVE HE'S THE BEST HUSBANDO MATERIAL OUT THERE:
Heeeeere we go, to the reasonable ones ò.ó '-'

Pardon my french @.@

Also, this is an AMA \o/ Bring me your questions or disagreements and I shall reply o/
(about Hak tho, rs)​
It might look long, but it's cause I added a lot of media resources. I tried to be as objective as being informative allowed me to, imo.

Thx for the campaign compliments and support so far, hope you'll still deem Hak as more worthy and if you don't, I appreciate the company up to this point o/

So yeah, cya guys later for the 5th part o/

Last edited:

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Pliz everyone give a chance to Marian who is a great guy and a wonderful family man alsio he's the only redhaired left. No doubt Hak is a great call but Marian is likely a more mature and hot guy ♥ pliz vote for him

also big thxs to Magi-chan for those lovely pics
:

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Please check @Silverwolf442 post here

recap

Early phase post

1st of all, I started preparing my campaign during nomination phase,I just copied/pasted but it was way too long so i deleted a lot of uncessary text, hope it’s not too tedious.

So who is Marian ? Marian Cross is a very strong (possibly the strongest exorcist in DGM or one of them), upright, caring & charismatic guy, it's not your average guy who could be easily be manipulated. And he’s a kind & pleasant man despite he tends to not show his caring side too much. He's a likeable character because not only, he’s funny, manly, protective hot ♥ (but that’s totally biased, i guess), but above all, i love how is he, how he is behaving, how he's not just an obedient puppy as a general, he's the kind of guy who questions a lot, even authority (the Order).

he is a man of knowledge (a scientist), and despite acting tough, he’s a goodhearted guy, who took care of a child who’s not even his, he mentored Allen and developped eventually a father-child relationship with him, he btw is the one who made Tim and gave him to Allen (to those who aren’t familiar with DGm, just consider Tim as a mascot for now, see pics ;) ).

According to Hoshino (quoting wiki) : Cross regards Allen as his own child, and thinks that Allen is cute. In turn, Allen was very distraught when he saw all the blood in Cross' room, believing him to be dead [...]The anime changed their relationship, adding fillers of Cross being more cruel to Allen than he was in the manga. Examples including Cross running off and leaving Allen to be beaten by thugs. Forcing him to gamble for money when he wasn't in need of any due to living off of rich lovers.
[...]
“There are some key differences in Cross portrayal with the anime and the manga. The former added in filler episodes and events, or changed things, to play up Cross as being a bad person, and villainized him more than Hoshino's manga characterization.

People think Marian is not enough good because of his womanizer side hoshino said : “Cross likes good women, and expensive wine and dislikes dirty bastards”), indeed he has this kind of penchant but the anime emphasizes that much more that is it in the original material and made him look maybe slightly bad, while actually he’s not even a Jiraya, a Ryo Saeba or a Sanji womanizer level, he's only shown being gallant and having a soft spot for women. Also being interested in women dont make him bad, he’s not commited in some relationships. Afaik so there’s nothing wrong, its not as if he was cheating. Many characters are like this, calling him bad because of that is quite hyprocritical and double standards. Anyway he’s a protective gentleman towards women quite like Sanji. Marian didnt do anything wrong, didnt tortured anyone, has no human killing records as far as i know, has not been embroiled in any inhuman thing like a great part of the nominees.

Personnally I don’t have any specific standards when it come to "husbando" thing, IRL I dont look for any idealised kind of person. And i’m not naïve enough to think of love in an idyllic way. Also I’m far to be perfect so I obviously don’t have that much expectations about that. Perfection doesnt exist to begin with, and perfection is boring. Quoting a comment about imperfections of the teacher of some classical music course Im taking about "vibrato" :

"how the tempo slows down and then speeds back up here and there. And again, notice how these slight imperfections, create expression in music. This is how a great performer communicates emotion to us ! "

Yes Marian is not flawless, but those few flaws of his are minors and are not at all disqualifying him for the best husbando title. On the contrary, minors flaws are what makes people, human. In my perspective the most important things is that the husbando is upright, honest, caring, kind but patient and firm, but strong enough and capable enough, and above all someone who respects me (women generally speaking). And Marian is a perfect virtual representation of what I would likely expect, personality-wise i guess.

Cross as a caring /loving parent figure :

Marian is definitely a helpful man, who cooks, cleans, etc., he raised alone a child with love and care. As i said earlier I frankly can't think that a guy who's being so much attentive, and so caring with a child who is not even his, can be a bad guy, and a bad husband. Its to me, just a proof of how tender and soft he is actually.

Please vote for him !!!!!! ♥

Onegai counting on your support, i know Farf has a lot of support its hard to feel like everyone is against you

Last edited:

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
I didn't have the time to prepare anything yet, so I'll recap and come back later.

But I do believe that this is gonna be even harder if people are solely going by my words instead of actually knowing something about Hak, so I ask you guys to check out Akatsuki no Yona first two chapters. I would beg, but I'll save it for if it becomes necessary '_' Some alrdy said they are willing to check the series, and this wouldn't take much time and will help you come out with your final decision, I'm sure. Two birds with a single rock.

Also, trust @GrySun 's judgement that Son Hak is simply awesome ^_^v (yes, I'll abuse you here) As a character alrdy, but also as a Husbando.

Now, here's the recap:

01- AN INTRO ABOUT SON HAK:

02- MY PERSPECTIVE ON SON HAK AND WHY I NOMINATED HIM:

03- A BETTER CHANCE FOR YOU GUYS TO BUILD YOUR OWN OPINION:

04- WHY I BELIEVE HE'S THE BEST HUSBANDO MATERIAL OUT THERE:

It might look long, but it's cause I added a lot of media resources. I tried to be as objective as being informative allowed me to, imo.

Thx for the campaign compliments and support so far, hope you'll still deem Hak as more worthy and if you don't, I appreciate the company up to this point o/

So yeah, cya guys later for the 5th part o/
Yes, Gry's taste is really good. He proved it in the last WW... :errr

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Yes, Gry's taste is really good. He proved it in the last WW... :errr
See ! thats the reason to instavote for Marian and support him ! ♥

Also dont forget Farf will kill you on Day 1 next game you play, you know i would never do such a thing
Voting Marian is securing a longer life next Mafia dont forget he's an exorcist master ♥:arf

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
Tut tut, resorting to instavote u.u
Believe in your Husbando's merti, Erin-chin!
I certainly do in mine. Let's see if that will pay off xD

And I actually had a long list of "ones we can't kill", if that matters here, so many people would be spared on N1 '-' :
- We can't kill starters;
- We can't kill Orgz and Vand;
- We can't kill the committed and willing ones that get the game going.
... made it also much easier to pick Zasz.

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
But Farf chan you husbando is not even redhaired !

according to the anime-manga hair color theory, redhaired guys are smarter.
redhaired gyus are hotter. ♥
redhaired guys have a lot charisma !
redhaired guys are the most caring !
and dark haired guys are just ordinary guus without any charisma :arf
so Marian > Hak qed

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
Ah, c'mon, but black hair + blue eyes + tanned skin is also a smexy combo *-* Maybe more than the red hair (I'd prefer it on girls).
Aaaaaand well ç.ç IT IS A HUSBANDO WAR, and Hak isn't a womanizer xD in spite of how many ladies offered themselves to him.

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Ah, c'mon, but black hair + blue eyes + tanned skin is also a smexy combo *-* Maybe more than the red hair (I'd prefer it on girls).
Aaaaaand well ç.ç IT IS A HUSBANDO WAR, and Hak isn't a womanizer xD in spite of how many ladies offered themselves to him.
huh oh wait
so Hak is the harem guy type, so disappointing :s, those are the one i dislike the most in manga/anime tropes. So hak is a harem guy while Marian aprotecting male figure and a father figure, who even washes a child peed sheet easy choice i guess ♥

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
so Hak is the harem guy type, so disappointing :s, those are the one i dislike the most in manga/anime tropes
:lmao WAT, how did you get that conclusion from my line? XD He's not a harem guy at all, on the other hand, he's a committed guy that won't spread attention between other females, which seems to be Marian's case, right? Idk much about him.

I mean. I'd love it for my husbando to be a great parent, that's a must. But I'll divorce the hell out of a womanizer as well so.... no, I wouldn't have a Husbando like that.

Lambu

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Spain
I'll be honest, Hak is objectively better. :D

Now, I like that Marian is a more charismatic man. It doesnt matter if the guy is "perfect", I would always fall for the man that gives something else, you know, something besides the typical "he's caring and devoted to the one he loves"... Like... Right :kappa

The problem is Marian has a lot of flaws as a husbando, something that Hak doesnt have (He's a shoujo dude, he's meant to be perfect) :p

So Im leaning towards Hak now, I'll keep reading the campaigns... and the salt :popcorn

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
@Crescent_jinxgrace :pout

why... you of all people !!!?

im truly sad, no you dont love Marian, as many people you misjudge him, sadly. yes its a vote for the best husbando, if you knew a little about Marian you obviously would nt vote for Hak for sure, you likely dont really know him and certainly dont love him.
yep Hak is probably a good husbando material, but hes nowhere as protective, as caring, as funny, as responsible, as expereinced as Marian otherwise i would have supported Hak nomination, hak sounds to me great indeed, but probably lacking some experience, caring & mentoring side maybe from what i get. In any case, you're totally wrong if you base you judgement of Marian on DGM anime, just please reread what i kept writing and noonne seems to read about how wrong the anime is prortraying him. Too bad crescent, you re free to vote for hak if you like this kind of guy, im fine with it,
but dont think Marian is not husbando material bc you re wrong, so wrong, :s hak didnt spent so long time raising a child which is not even his, showing love and care and regarding him as his own child. As my father says "if you want to judge a man, see how hes behaving with a child quote by papa-chan", thats it ! Men who are patient and loving with a child are the best husbando.

Last edited:

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
Read the first 2 chaps pleeeease Lambu xD pleeeease! This idea that a shoujo dude will be built to be perfecf, like a shiny knight, is not true here >< he's not bland or one layered or designed to be cute and charming, he has a lot of character >< I think one of the main things that stand out about him is his sassiness. People can easily see points on him in those two chapters alrdy. So, pleeeeeease?

But yeah I some hours I'll be able to post my piece.

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
if you knew a little about Marian you obviously would nt vote for Hak for sure, you lkikely dont know him and certainly dont love him.
yep Hak is probably a good husbando material, but hes nowhere as protective, as caring, as funny, as responsible, as expereinced as Marian otherwise i would have supported Hak nomination, hak sounds to me great indead, but lacking experience, caring & mentoring side maybe from what i get.
Except that you can't know those cause you don't know the character ^^'

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
@Lambu considering what you re saying, you havent obviously read anything i wrote, why asking for more campaign if you dont even care of what im saying, :feelsbadmanif you expect salt, you re in the wrong thread, im not salty

But you re right on the charisma point, Marian is way more charismatic and attractive than Hak ♥ but my campaign is not primarily based on his appearance.

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Haha, this is great :popcorn.

Demon-kun be nice and vote Marian ! ♥

GrySun

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Japan
@Crescent_jinxgrace :pout

why... you of all people !!!?

im truly sad, no you dont love Marian, as many people you misjudge him, you prolly dont even read what i wrote above sadly . yes its a vote for the best husbando, if you knew a little about Marian you obviously would nt vote for Hak for sure, you lkikely dont know him and certainly dont love him.
yep Hak is probably a good husbando material, but hes nowhere as protective, as caring, as funny, as responsible, as expereinced as Marian otherwise i would have supported Hak nomination, hak sounds to me great indead, but lacking experience, caring & mentoring side maybe from what i get. In any case, you're totally wrong if you base you judgement of Marian on DGM anime, just reread what i kept writing and obviously noonne even read. too bad crescent you re free to vote for hak if you like this kind of guy, im fine with it,
but dont say or imply Marian is not husbando material bc you re wrong, so wrong, :s hak didnt spent so long time raising a child which is not even his, showing love and care and regarding him as his own child. As my father says "if you want to judge a man, see how hes behaving with a child quote by papa-chan", thats it ! Men who are patient and loving with a child are the best husbando.

>See how he's behaving with a child
>Shows a pic of him giving a child lung cancer

Status
Not open for further replies.