Movies - Star Wars - The Thread | Page 24 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Movies Star Wars - The Thread

How was that ep VIII teaser?

• Amazing, Incredible, Epic!

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Good

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Okay

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Meh

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Ugh, utter garbage

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
There has been some moments I liked, but mostly it is horrible. For reasons Jammin mentioned. The writing is just super bad.

Why didn't Vader extinguish the flames again? How did Obiwan teleport down to the street to help Leia while literally 3 seconds ago 3 bounty hunters where shooting right at his heels? How didn't 3rd Sister catch up then when she clearly saw them, but the some how managed to get ahead of Leia in a one direction tunnel without passing her? Why they had to destroy the laser gate, when the over head shot so clearly shows that could have just walked around the the toll booth? Is Obiwan really that dumb he forgot the code names he himself assigned? Why did the Grand Inquisitor die, when he is alive in Rebels about 5 years later in the time line?

I'm gonna watch it to the end, but just because easter eggs, Clone Wars/Rebels/Legends cameos and plausible Quinlan Vos.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

And yeah, the fact that the sister is a surviving youngling and blames Obiwan for something is painfully obvious and very generic writing. If I'm wrong about that, I'll lick a doorknob.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

This is way worse than Boba was.

Sets and music have been nice though.

Oh while the idea of kid Leia is cute, they should have casted someone a little older imho.

Hayden has surprisingly good presence as Vader though.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I just wish the general writing was better. The ideas in the show are fine for the most part. The screenwriting really hasn't lived up to the material. Whether it's general fails like the fire part or the broader identity crisis the show has with who it's even for.

The kid Leia stuff are all things you do in a family show or one more meant to entertain kids. But the rest of it is so tonally dark that it works against itself.

The writing needed to be better. The tone needed to be more consistent. And most of all this show needed to have a direction with regards of what audience it wants to be for. If Disney wants it to be a lighthearted family show with young Leia that's fine. If they wanted to do dark character drama with Obiwan that's fine too. But you can't do both. And whichever one they picked needed to be written better than this is.

Sanity Check

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki

I haven't watchied this, yet.

:toc

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Seems like rationalization to me. Vader wants Obiwan to get away again? That doesn't seem right. If that was his intention why would he have tracked him had sent the storm trooper to go capture him?

Sometimes crap writing is just crap writing. Just like how kid Leia is confident and bossy rather than afraid or nervious despite all the horrible things occurring around her. That is an objectively insane mindset for a kidnapped child who is witnessing death and violence to act.

Last edited:

Sanity Check

Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
If Vader knew he had kids.

He might have let him run off knowing someday Kenobi would lead him to his son and daughter.

Continuity could be tested here.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
If Vader knew he had kids.

He might have let him run off knowing someday Kenobi would lead him to his son and daughter.

Continuity could be tested here.
The logical problem with that is he didn't let him go. An unknown ally of obiwan shot the guy he sent to fetch him.

If he wanted to track obiwan he wouldn't have torched him until he couldn't move.

Sanity Check

Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
The logical problem with that is he didn't let him go. An unknown ally of obiwan shot the guy he sent to fetch him.

If he wanted to track obiwan he wouldn't have torched him until he couldn't move.

The droid that carried Obiwan to safety.

Has the top speed of a mobility scooter.

This is Obiwan escaping from Vader:

It only happens if Vader wills it.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
So watched the first 3 episodes of Andor and, man, I wish I could say it was good. It's not though.

I remember seeing a review describe this as "Sexy. Fun, and Damn Good". Have a very hard time believing whoever wrote that actually watched the show. It's not sexy at all and not fun in the least.

I know opinions are sort of divided on Rogue One. I personally liked it as an odd one off. A Star Wars actual war movie. Have not cared for Andor one bit though. Might be my least favorite Star Wars thing yet. It's not bad in the way Obiwan was, that came across as just incompetently written, like all the stuff with the kid. This is much better put together than that was.

It's more like they decided to make a slow paced bleak character drama set in the star wars universe. And did exactly that. But forgot to ask themselves why that story is worth telling. At episode 3 I really don't see any reason why anybody would be interested in watching this. I really don't. It's the origin story of a character who is dead and was never particularly likable or interesting to begin with; and it feels exactly like that to me.

Sanity Check

Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
It's more like they decided to make a slow paced bleak character drama set in the star wars universe. And did exactly that. But forgot to ask themselves why that story is worth telling.

Yeh.

The pieces don't fit together well.

Kenari looks like it was strip mined and pillaged for its natural resources. The life expectancy could be reduced as a result, which might explain the local population being comprised of youth with no adults. The kenari children wearing modern day clothes while having reverted to a purely tribal culture doesn't make much sense. Their culture, education and knowledge base appears to be completely destroyed. While their modern day clothing remains intact. Or their a tribal culture wearing modern clothing who never advanced to develop modern technology.

The other planet which they never really mention. Looks like a shipbreaking facility. With retention ponds to store toxic waste removed from starships. But the culture and living standards of both environments don't really match the harsh reality of what those resemble in the real world.

The ship that crashes on kenari impacts hard enough to leave a furrow in the earth. But appears to take no damage. While the passengers are strewn around the area. Its a bizarre scene that doesn't really fit.

I think if someone met the characters in real life, they might automatically want to distance themselves from them and forget you ever met them. That's what makes the story unattractive.

There is one demographic who might feel right at home watching Andor. Illegal immigrants and developing 3rd world nations. That appears to be the target demographic for the series.

Last edited: