Movies - Star Wars - The Thread | Page 23 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Movies Star Wars - The Thread

How was that ep VIII teaser?

• Amazing, Incredible, Epic!

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Good

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Okay

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Meh

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Ugh, utter garbage

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

Sanity Check

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Followed by luke giving up on the jedi and everything else and spending some 8 years sulking in an island.
Luke follows in the footsteps of Yoda exiling himself on dagobah.

Only he doesn't look as good doing it, as Yoda said might happen.

:toc

Obiwan Kenobi also exiled himself on tatooine.

Maybe a pattern is forming and Rey would follow in their footsteps, eventually.

He then dies without leaving behind a functional jedi order, just rey with whom he was barely involved with. In legends luke dies while leaving an order behind, even if legends continues and gives a lot of crap to said order.
If there is no functional jedi order, how does Leia learn her survival skills.

We don't see it being established but it could have been a thing, before being slowly whittled away over time by Snoke and friends.

I mean, luke had a comically easy time mastering the force as well. He at least had a relationship with yoda but he still went from zero to matching darth vader in 2-3 years. And his training with yoda lasted somewhere between 2 weeks and a few months depending on the source and retcons... That's barely more work than what rey put in, specially considering jedi in theory take decades to train.

Also, kylo was actually trained by luke. And then by snoke... for years at least. Longer than either rey or luke were.
If you have a presence on social media, you might notice many posting about a "change" in the energy. Something "big" is coming. There are many random morans on social media, with large followings posting this stuff.

There is a present day mysticism that says a "GREAT AWAKENING" is coming.

Not many know it, but critical aspects of star wars and the force are based upon real world mysticism. George Lucas tried to deny this by introducing midichlorians. But the similarities are too identical to be written off so easily.

This is perhaps one reason behind an accelerated learning curve for force users. The learning curve accelerates as the timeline grows closer to their great awakening.

In reality though, I think it has been somewhat co opted by trendy new age feelings of entitlement and anti intellectualism.

Kylo Ren and Rey are the ultimate "give me stimulus checks and UBI" kids. :toc

They don't really work, develop or build anything of their own. They're moreso trust fund babies who inherit everything they have from previous generations. This is emphasized by Rey crawling through the remains of star destroyers on Jakku. Her generation is left to wander the ruins of greatness built by her ancestors. They're a lost generation, without much of a future. Which can be said about many millennials and youth today.

Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Welp, I am caught up woth the book of boba fett. Not a fan of how luke is being portrayed here.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Book of Boba Fett becomes a lot better when it turns into Mandalorian S2

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Season 3 I think you mean.

But yeah, while I did like the early episodes, these Mandalorian focused episodes have been so more enjoyable.

There is something really odd about Luke. I'm wondering if there are limitations of expression to what they can do with the techniques they are using. It is impressive looking definetly. But the dialogue feels stiff.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
This whole daimyo stuff feels rather silly tbh. Jabba's criminal empire along with the hutts had some relevance during the clone wars... the current portrayal seems a bit off imo. Fett trying to be this sort of golden hearted warlord is also a wasted opportunity. They should lean on him being a criminal.

Regarding luke, him pushing baby yoda away from jarin feels wrong. TLJ ended with luke embracing his love for his father and that saving his father. Luke is committing the same mistakes as the old jedi order and ahsokah is watching that as if nothing. I suppose this would make sense with the series heading into the new trilogy but it's absurd to watch.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Season 3 I think you mean.

But yeah, while I did like the early episodes, these Mandalorian focused episodes have been so more enjoyable.

There is something really odd about Luke. I'm wondering if there are limitations of expression to what they can do with the techniques they are using. It is impressive looking definetly. But the dialogue feels stiff.
Oddly enough I think AI Mark Hammill looked pretty close. Just Mark Hamill from the first movie where he couldn't act very well. It's tough now though because he's become a really good actor and they're replacing him with what is essentially a Mark Hamill puppet. Which is just not as good as a normal actor.

This whole daimyo stuff feels rather silly tbh. Jabba's criminal empire along with the hutts had some relevance during the clone wars... the current portrayal seems a bit off imo. Fett trying to be this sort of golden hearted warlord is also a wasted opportunity. They should lean on him being a criminal.

Regarding luke, him pushing baby yoda away from jarin feels wrong. TLJ ended with luke embracing his love for his father and that saving his father. Luke is committing the same mistakes as the old jedi order and ahsokah is watching that as if nothing. I suppose this would make sense with the series heading into the new trilogy but it's absurd to watch.
TLJ screwed up the Luke character and everything Jedi related to him in this time period. This is just where we will always be now until they fix it. Though this, padawans can't have attachment, stuff dates back to Lucas in his prequel trilogy. All of it is quite stupid and needs to be dealt with at some point but unless they decononize the new trilogy, which they would never do, the Luke Skywalker era shall remain a dumpsterfire.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
TLJ screwed up the Luke character and everything Jedi related to him in this time period. This is just where we will always be now until they fix it. Though this, padawans can't have attachment, stuff dates back to Lucas in his prequel trilogy. All of it is quite stupid and needs to be dealt with at some point but unless they decononize the new trilogy, which they would never do, the Luke Skywalker era shall remain a dumpsterfire.
Sure, we saw this in the prequel and in other star wars material though the context going forward from there has usually been that this was among the jedi's mistakes. Which fit pretty well into TJR where luke's love for his father paved the way to redeem vader and destroy the emperor. And now we see luke making grogu choose between being a jedi and being with his father figure with the slight threat of 10 lifetimes worth of loneliness? I suppose they could still salvage this by having grogu pick both and luke as an absolute utter dick being all "that's the right choice" of the utterly pointless test. Baby yoda being adorable can only cover so much assholery... I suppose the goal here could be to fill this time period with so much failure on luke's part that we welcome his pathetic end in TLJ?

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I mean, I don't think it's Luke being a dick so much as him following the Jedi dogma which is set up as "passion and emotion" leads to the darkside. That's the jedi dogma. It was never really presented as "wrong" except maybe in TLJ.

The idea Lucas had was to model them after an order of warrior monks or something like that.

Last edited:

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
The after credits scene I must say was rather dissapointing.

I wanted so hard some Ahsoka teasers. Glimpse of Sabine, Thrawn or even Ezra would have been ecstatic.

Sanity Check

Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki

"No disintegrations."

(What ever happened to that Boba Fett.)

:toc

I feel like Book of Boba Fett was dumbed down and oversimplified for younger viewers.

The way Wonder Woman 1984 was.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Yeah, unfortunately disney didn't have the balls to go full on antihero/breaking bad with the guy known for vaporizations. Let alone that jabba being a daimyo makes no sense at all. It's like they forgot what yakusa are or something. And boba took on a galaxy spawning crime syndicate with like 20 people while not even evidencing boba has much of a crime ring going on. Also:

Luke: Imma burn this tree.
Yoda: Mission you have, stop you must.
Luke: OH YEAH I DID RIGHT!? I completely forgot.
Yoda: Hurry you must, lose rei you must not.
Luke: Going to get on my fully functional x wing right now. Not a second to lose.
Yoda: Like baby yoda rei must not end.
Luke: OMG WILL YOU EVER MOVE ON FROM THAT!?
Yoda: *hits luke with stick* ONE JOB!

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke

Does everyone have their How-Will-Disney-Ruin-This? Bingo Cards ready?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Okay nvm, I guess if that's supposed to be The Inquisitor then we already have an early contender...

Sanity Check

Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Kenobi appears to be following in the footsteps of the Jedi Fallen Order game, which followed in the footsteps of Star Wars Rebels.

That would appear to be the lineage of Mandalorian and Book of Boba Fett as well.

Clearly, I watch too much fkn TV. :toc

My rule is if I'm watching a movie, documentary or TV I need to be exercising/lifting while I do it.

Hopefully that is acceptable to my ancestors that their descendant be an ultimate fatlete rather than the ultimate couch potato.

Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
No offense to Star Wars or anything, but his credit for 2001: A Space Odyssey is just as, if not more impressive. That movie looked absolutely insane for being released in 1968.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Ok, the Obi Wan Kenobi series is amazing (so far). Have your cookie disney.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I really disagree with that... :amuse

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh? What don't you like about it?
A lot of things really but I'm having real issues with it's writing most of all. Went on a bit of a rant in the TV thread about it.

I thought that was a trooper from before the clones turned storm trooper. Because I believe he had a blue line on his armor. One of the republic commandos. Not that it matters in the grand scheme of things because Obiwan is awful. Some of the screenwriting has honestly be embarrassingly bad.

Here's an example.

Darth Vader has Obiwan at his mercy. He knocks over some stuff to set this ~40'x30' area ablaze that use the force to drag Obiwan through it. Then he puts out the fire with the force and tells some storm troopers to bring Obiwan to him. Somebody shoots at them and hits something that explodes igniting the same area between Obwan and Vader ablaze once more. Then proceeds to slowly go rescue him and walk away.

What does Vader do? He stands there. Presumably waiting for the fire to burn out. Because he doesn't extinguish it with the force(like he did literally seconds earlier) He doesn't walk through it with this metal legs that were shown that very episode. He doesn't jump over it. He doesn't even walk around it. He doesn't tell Storm troopers walk around it. Nope he just stands there for no reason. And Obiwan gets away. Because whoever wrote this show is apparently stupid.
Between the annoying kid and the screenwriting. It's been tough going for me. Then add to that killing off the Grand Inquisitor (who already died in the Rebels series which I guess must not be canon now) who was by far the coolest villain. Supplanting him with the angry woman who was totally one of those jedi padawans and who is almost certainly blaming Obiwan for something or other in a subplot I can't imagine anybody cares about.

I just don't think it's doing anything well.

Sanity Check

Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Oh? What don't you like about it?

Vader's 50 yard dash time, wearing a cumbersome life support suit, needs clocking.

If you know what I mean. :toc

Space, logic and time have no meaning.