Life - Suicides & suicidal thoughts. | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Life Suicides & suicidal thoughts.

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
A quick death would not cut it for me. The only reason I toyed with the idea was curiosity in the first place. I was wondering whether I would try to survive as I slowly die. Or simply regret my decision. I was obsessed with grasping the instinct to live, you see.
I also considered jumping off of somewhere high, but such a high place that I can drop down from to spend minutes or maybe even more, and to do it without losing consciousness along the fall at that speed, probably does not exist.
Try jumping off a bridge. A lot of survivors apparently said how they realized the reason they were killing themselves for could actually be fixed, like 3/4 way down. Not that I'm being literal with jumping off bridge.

I did have suicidal thoughts, but I stopped having them once someone told me I was just being an attention whore, and I agreed. I still don't know what I was thinking, but it was pretty dumb of me. Guess it was bad time? I dunno, but I know I had it pretty well off, so it really makes no sense. Never had a thought after that, but the topic of suicide just makes me feel supremely depressed and hopeless. I dunno why.

I also personally think suicide is dumb when life can get better if people actually put in the effort to make it better.

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I'm going to say to depressed people who have started taking medicine and begin having suicidal thoughts: please tell your doctors/families/friends/counselors that you need them to watch over you. Sometimes you don't need to think about anything or any reason to carry out your plan; it's just happens. I disagree that all people who commits suicide are always thinking that death is more appealing than life, some of them just find that death is more endurable than keep living.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Lots of people see suicide as a way out of their miserable life, and I personally find that cowardly, in most cases.

Philia

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Joker
18th floor of a building is not even remotely high. I'm referring to at least couple of thousands meters, and actually even more, since, otherwise, you'd just be slamming onto the ground in a split second, making the whole purpose of jumping from somewhere high go to waste.
So, no, you couldn't possibly survive the height I was referring to, but a more realistic attempt like you mentioned would definitely be risky.
Thousand meter is really high. There are not many places that high. To jump from that height you'd have to climb really high of a mountain and jump from there. That's quite complicated.

I don't think a person who tried to commit suicide would feel that much pain, but for those who are going to be around him in that state would be in immense emotional pain every day.
Really? I dunno but I think every emotional pain fades with time. In my case, I'm sure some people will be sad if I die. But eventually they will be relieved because...they won't have to worry about me.

Hakuteiken

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
Thousand meter is really high. There are not many places that high. To jump from that height you'd have to climb really high of a mountain and jump from there. That's quite complicated.
Which wouldn't quite work, since you can easily hit your head to a rock 30 meters down below and the climb would be in vain. Not easy to find a completely open hill that would allow a full height jump, I guess.

Really? I dunno but I think every emotional pain fades with time. In my case, I'm sure some people will be sad if I die. But eventually they will be relieved because...they won't have to worry about me.
Human conscience prevents that kind of relief from surfacing for quite a long time, at least. Other than that, yeah, pain fades with time, but it'll be there forever if it's about someone the person truly cared for.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Then you have a extremely poor grasp of suicide and what it is.
Then explain. Aren't many suicides due to being fed up with life and wanting to end it because the people don't see any hope? Aren't a lot of suicides due to mental illness like depression, where the victims feel hopeless?

I'm pretty sure I know what suicide is. Killing one's self.

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Then explain. Aren't many suicides due to being fed up with life and wanting to end it because the people don't see any hope? Aren't a lot of suicides due to mental illness like depression, where the victims feel hopeless?

I'm pretty sure I know what suicide is. Killing one's self.
I'm not talking about what it is in a sentence or two. I'm talking about what the experience is like. It isn't simply "depression". There are millions who are clinically depressed and don't resort to suicide. Suicidal people don't want to die, they just can't go on living anymore. Even attempting to wrap your head around what that must be like would easily make you forget about such simplistic, ignorant ideas as suicidal people being "cowards".

Hakuteiken

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
I'm not talking about what it is in a sentence or two. I'm talking about what the experience is like. It isn't simply "depression". There are millions who are clinically depressed and don't resort to suicide. Suicidal people don't want to die, they just can't go on living anymore. Even attempting to wrap your head around what that must be like would easily make you forget about such simplistic, ignorant ideas as suicidal people being "cowards".
Well, suicidal people being "cowards" is not ignorant, in my opinion. It's, in fact, on point. If you have a desire, which is the desire to live here, and do not do what that desire would normally dictate you to do, you are, indeed, a "coward". Anyone who doesn't stay true to his desires is a coward. If the person, who is in that depressed state of mind, is not a coward, he will persevere through, simply because the desire to live would be victorious to the fear of living on.

In the cases that the fear and despair comes out on top, it's only fair to say that the person wanted to die. Not desiring to live enough is simply the equivalent of desiring to die, the wording sugarcoating excluded.

Reactions: M3J

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Well, suicidal people being "cowards" is not ignorant, in my opinion. It's, in fact, on point. If you have a desire, which is the desire to live here, and do not do what that desire would normally dictate you to do, you are, indeed, a "coward". Anyone who doesn't stay true to his desires is a coward. If the person, who is in that depressed state of mind, is not a coward, he will persevere through, simply because the desire to live would be victorious to the fear of living on.

In the cases that the fear and despair comes out on top, it's only fair to say that the person wanted to die. Not desiring to live enough is simply the equivalent of desiring to die, the wording sugarcoating excluded.
You could say the opposite with the same logic. If the suicidal person desires to die, and he does it...isn't that the opposite of being cowardly? Killing oneself clearly isn't an easy thing to accomplish.

That's why these extremes don't and shouldn't apply when talking about this topic. Calling a suicidal person a coward is as nonsensical as calling them brave. Calling suicide the "coward's" way of dealing with things is so incredibly simpleminded that it does nothing to explain suicide or suicidal people. That's why it's ignorant.

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I don't think generalizing that every suicidal people merely act on the basis of fear and despair and hollowness and bleakness or whatever is on point. Sure, there are many people who killed themselves because of trivial things did not go according to their ways, but the reason why clinically depressed people want to commit suicide, in fact, can be more complex than a simple feeling of unbearable hopelessness. That's why I advised that depressed people who have started taking medicine to be more cautious about themselves, since you are going to start to see the world differently once you start taking your medicines.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I'm not saying it's just "depression," but more than that in many cases. It's no doubt an ignorant generalization, but again, that's how I feel, as I only know of people committing suicide because they gave up.

Hakuteiken

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
You could say the opposite with the same logic. If the suicidal person desires to die, and he does it...isn't that the opposite of being cowardly? Killing oneself clearly isn't an easy thing to accomplish.

That's why these extremes don't and shouldn't apply when talking about this topic. Calling a suicidal person a coward is as nonsensical as calling them brave. Calling suicide the "coward's" way of dealing with things is so incredibly simpleminded that it does nothing to explain suicide or suicidal people. That's why it's ignorant.
"Coward" here is the antonym of persevering, not brave, so,no, it's not a case of being brave.

Suicide is a way of dealing with things for someone, who is basically unable to cling to anything, a "coward". Cowardice here is not a literal meaning. It is what I call people that have their will to live blocked by other stuff, which might be trivial or significant.

I don't think generalizing that every suicidal people merely act on the basis of fear and despair and hollowness and bleakness or whatever is on point. Sure, there are many people who killed themselves because of trivial things did not go according to their ways, but the reason why clinically depressed people want to commit suicide, in fact, can be more complex than a simple feeling of unbearable hopelessness. That's why I advised that depressed people who have started taking medicine to be more cautious about themselves, since you are going to start to see the world differently once you start taking your medicines.
I wouldn't bring the word "hope" into this context at all. And there are many people who commit suicide even when things are supposedly going their ways, so, it is indeed an ill-advised criteria, to begin with. I'd guess it's most likely due to the fear of status quo, that their lives won't ever be any different, and the things that are troubling them will never go away, is the factor that drives them into a corner, but it doesn't and it won't go beyond being a wild guess at best.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I'm not saying it's just "depression," but more than that in many cases. It's no doubt an ignorant generalization, but again, that's how I feel, as I only know of people committing suicide because they gave up.
Wait, did you just admit to your opinion being "an ignorant generalization" but then still stuck to it? How? Why would you stick to an opinion which you know in fact to be wrong and unjustified?

Pat

Lost and Found
Reaction score
Country
Gotei 13
My cousin said she had attempted suicide to get her parents' attention. Another cousin's friend committed suicide because of unrequited love. There may be many different reasons why someone may want to end his or her life, I guess most of these problems can be solved with psychological or psychiatric support though since the decision may come at a moment of stress and confusion.

Reactions: M3J

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I wouldn't bring the word "hope" into this context at all. And there are many people who commit suicide even when things are supposedly going their ways, so, it is indeed an ill-advised criteria, to begin with. I'd guess it's most likely due to the fear of status quo, that their lives won't ever be any different, and the things that are troubling them will never go away, is the factor that drives them into a corner, but it doesn't and it won't go beyond being a wild guess at best.
Yeah, but unfortunately this "fear" - so-called the Reason to commit suicide - does not even exist in some cases. In some circumstances, your mind just goes blank and bam! you're done. In fact, I met some depressed people who have this tangible and concrete and solid reasons why they have suicidal tendencies yet they are also the ones who are still willing to persevere, to see the silver linings behind the clouds in life. I am not denying the fact that maybe, for most people, Fear haunts them so badly they would rather jump from a bridge but here I am just trying to offer a new.. perspective that it's not always the case. You don't always need a reason; even if you have something to cling to, things can still go really bad, really fast.

My cousin said she had attempted suicide to get her parents' attention. Another cousin's friend committed suicide because of unrequited love. There may be many different reasons why someone may want to end his or her life, I guess most of these problems can be solved with psychological or psychiatric support though since the decision may come at a moment of stress and confusion.
Even after the help from psychiatric support, one should be very careful when it comes to overlooking relatives with suicidal tendencies. Once the medicine kicks-in in your brain, the hollowness and hopelessness are going to be replaced with.. consciousness and awareness that you can do something. Unfortunately this motivation to do something doesn't always lead to something positive, some of them can lead to self-destructive behaviors or worse, suicide.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Wait, did you just admit to your opinion being "an ignorant generalization" but then still stuck to it? How? Why would you stick to an opinion which you know in fact to be wrong and unjustified?
Because most cases I've heard of or read about has led me to believe what I do, and I find it an ignorant generalization because it's not like I know about tons of different cases.

kannazuki

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I don't understand the impulse to call someone who is suffering "cowardly?" It certainly is not an easy thing to end one's life, but beyond that, what purpose does such a judgment accomplish except to make people feel even worse than contemplating death already makes them feel (and that's on top of whatever problems got them to that point in the first place)? The reasons a person is suicidal are irrelevant. Suicidal people need situation-appropriate help, hope, and social support rather than ostracization/stigma/isolation. Literally nobody chooses to feel that way.

If you don't understand, then at least ask about it respectfully rather than jumping to ill-informed conclusions.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
This is not an impulse, it is a view based on limited knowledge as to my knowledge, many people who commit suicide do so because they don't want to face challenges anymore or because they give up instead of continuing to fight.

People only feel worse if you tell them that. Why the hell would I mention that to anyone contemplating suicide? Anyone who does that is an idiot, honestly. Reasons aren't irrelevant, they're just as important because if not for those reasons, suicidal thoughts can cease. It's hard to help a suicidal person when you don't know what's going on with them. Obviously not that many people choose to feel suicidal. It's a shitty, horrible feeling where you feel no hope.

what

Hakuteiken

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
I don't understand the impulse to call someone who is suffering "cowardly?" It certainly is not an easy thing to end one's life, but beyond that, what purpose does such a judgment accomplish except to make people feel even worse than contemplating death already makes them feel (and that's on top of whatever problems got them to that point in the first place)? The reasons a person is suicidal are irrelevant. Suicidal people need situation-appropriate help, hope, and social support rather than ostracization/stigma/isolation. Literally nobody chooses to feel that way.

If you don't understand, then at least ask about it respectfully rather than jumping to ill-informed conclusions.
I believe I made a clear enough statement what "cowardice" meant in my own view, so, I'm not going to go back to it.
Fair point that the perspective does not accomplish anything. But not every perception of a human being brings anything beyond the natural chain of thought out. What suicidal people need and how another human's way of thinking may or may not effect the person in question is of no concern, as far as the inherent value of the thought is considered.

There is no such thing as not jumping to ill-informed conclusions. We are not talking specific people or their specific ways of thinking. We are, in fact, bound to make assumptions, and be wrong at them, so, I don't see what is there to be asked about.