Light Novel - Sword Art Online by Kawahara Reki | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Light Novel Sword Art Online by Kawahara Reki

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Sword Art Online
Genre: Action, Romance
By: Kawahara Reki
Art By: abec
Publisher: ASCII Media Works
Serialized In: Dengeki Bunko Magazine

The year is 2022. Mankind has finally perfected virtual reality. And within the VRMMORPG (Virtual Reality Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game) Sword Art Online, there was a player called Kirito. While he was enjoying the world of SAO, he and the other 10,000 logged-in players all received a frightening message from the Game Master—that the only way to escape from that world was to clear the game, and that a game over within the game would mean their death in the real world.

That was the frightening true story behind this game.

Kirito was one of the first players to accept this “truth”, and began his solo play, refusing to form a party, as he threw himself into the never ending battles that lay before him…

Spectrum

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I just finished watching the anime last week. It's the best anime in its genre. Loved so much, i could watch and watch again :D

Yesterday i downloaded the light novel. I wanted so bad that SAO were licensed in english T.T

I must confess i'm completely addicted to SAO

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Canada
It is confirmed that there going to be a special episode for Sword Art Online which going to air on the end of this year:

Tamerlane

=D
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
That is wonderful! I watched the anime but I had no idea that there was novel about it and that there will be another episode. Now to see about getting that novel...

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
That is wonderful! I watched the anime but I had no idea that there was novel about it and that there will be another episode. Now to see about getting that novel...
Yes, SAO is based on Light Novel :) You can find it somewhere on the internet, the novel is popular enough to receive stable updates.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Started v5 (speed read the first four volumes, wish that underworld story had been animated), it takes forever to pick up, does Sinon ever get better character design wise?

Will definitely buy when yen releases it in the us next year (accelworld too)

Spectrum

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I already downloaded 9 volumes but didn't read anything yet.

I'll definitely buy when releases in english next year too. I'm expecting some high quality stuff, though.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
I already downloaded 9 volumes but didn't read anything yet.

I'll definitely buy when releases in english next year too. I'm expecting some high quality stuff, though.
I would probably say to lower expectations at least for the first two volumes. One can tell he was a really amateur then, but did pick up good storytelling rather fast for ALfheim Online (V3 and v4).

I wonder how many volumes will the next anime try to cover.

Spectrum

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I would probably say to lower expectations at least for the first two volumes. One can tell he was a really amateur then, but did pick up good storytelling rather fast for ALfheim Online (V3 and v4).

I wonder how many volumes will the next anime try to cover.
I see... well, the first two volumes are about aincrad so i'm ok if it isn't that good.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
I see... well, the first two volumes are about aincrad so i'm ok if it isn't that good.
Its good concept and story but I guess its the writing style or something that made me feel it was basic level, odd. Though that could be because I read a few other LNs before Sao. Will be interesting to hear your take on it once you read.

I think the side stories were done better here than in the anime, especially Lisbest.

Spectrum

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Its good concept and story but I guess its the writing style or something that made me feel it was basic level, odd. Though that could be because I read a few other LNs before Sao. Will be interesting to hear your take on it once you read.

I think the side stories were done better here than in the anime, especially Lisbest.
I will read, definitely, but it'll take some time i guess... when i read it, i'll come by and share my feelings! I never read a LN before, but i love reading so i'll be very critical on this reading probably lol

I seriously hope this LN fulfill my expectations :crying

Kaizou 10

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Canada
The special illustration for Sword Art Online was released on Yomiuri Newspaper to celebrate the new year.

Last edited by a moderator:

stephen12

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
I've just watched it.. but never reading it's novel type. I'm just curious what is the difference between its novel and in anime.

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I've just watched it.. but never reading it's novel type. I'm just curious what is the difference between its novel and in anime.
I've never read Sword Art Online's novel, but if we're talking about in general sense, usually novel has slower pacing, better explanations on the story line compared to anime adaptation.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
The anime rearranged events to make them chronological. Volume 2 of the novel was all side stories so the anime put these events in order to be in a chronological time frame with the main story. The anime then also didnt adapt one major event of Alfheim Online which was rather disappointing.

Other wise it was a very faithful adaptation of the first four volumes.

Leoat12

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
The anime then also didnt adapt one major event of Alfheim Online which was rather disappointing.
Did you mean those events in that cave with high level monsters (I don't remember the name now). It's a nice moment, but not that important for the sake of the plot. If I had to cut something to make the anime more compact, I would cut this part, too.

Almost finishing volume 7 and I have to say that only this volume could be a great movie. The best volume in SAO until now IMO.
I hope that they do this after GGO, although it is a crazy idea regarding anime market and its peculiarities.

Kaizou 10

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I think SAO fans will become crazy over this; it is the 3D crystal art.

Leoat12

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Awesome. A fan did it? :zomg

Kaizou 10

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Awesome. A fan did it? :zomg
No, this is an actual merchandise for SAO.

---------- Post added at 11:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 PM ----------

Here's another version of video (it has more clear image than above).

Leoat12

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Probably it's not for sale, but I'd like to have this on my shelf to eternize SAO, which a like very much. :)
If it were for sale, it would be expensive, I couldn't afford that anyway. XD

Last edited: