Question - The Ape Titan (aka Big Foot) | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Question The Ape Titan (aka Big Foot)

The Ape Titan is...

• ...human-based.

Votes: 79 62.7%
  • ...a pure titan.

Votes: 47 37.3%

• Total voters

Knifeshade

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
So this guy has made quite a few appearances now. What with showing up with his own posse and throwing everybody into a panic thinking the wall has been breached. He's definitely different from the normal titans, not killing/eating humans outright, having a different appearance to the rest, and almost like he's on a mission of some sort.

What do you think his goal is in infiltrating the community inside the walls? And more importantly, do you think the Ape Titan is human-transformed....or could he actually be a pure titan?

Last edited:

aeruz

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
muscled titan hairy titan flesh titan.. maybe theres some meaning to it

but that ape titan dont know whats 3d manuever is so maybe he came outside and his a legendary titan that is been alive for thousand of years and a disease carrier hhehehehhe just my guess

Limit

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
From what we know, he's an ape(obviously), he can talk normally(no struggles talking or anything), and that he knows nothing about the current technology of the military(commented on it talking like he knew nothing). So with that we can assume that this is either the first time he's been into the walls or that he hasn't been there for a very long time.

What I always thought was that Titans are based off humans, so maybe this was a prototype/new experiment. There's also what Hamy said in the chapter discussion thread, that the titan was made just so that he can penetrate the wall, this time by climbing it instead of destroying it.

teioh

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
This could be like in Ridley Scott's Alien?

Human -> Normal Titan
Ape -> Ape Titan

Than we will meet Dog Titan, Horse Titan and so on... I hope not!

Knifeshade

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
What I always thought was that Titans are based off humans, so maybe this was a prototype/new experiment. There's also what Hamy said in the chapter discussion thread, that the titan was made just so that he can penetrate the wall, this time by climbing it instead of destroying it.
The thing is, what's the point of climbing over it? The colossal titan and the armored titan poked a hole in the wall so the fodder titans could flood in and over run the humans. Seeing Big Foot climb over doesn't make much sense in contrast to them, titans aren't going to rush in and kill off everybody (if you discount Connie's villagers).

From what we know, he's an ape(obviously), he can talk normally(no struggles talking or anything), and that he knows nothing about the current technology of the military(commented on it talking like he knew nothing). So with that we can assume that this is either the first time he's been into the walls or that he hasn't been there for a very long time.
My take on this whole thing is that for humans to experiment on creating titans from humans, you'd need something to base it off. You need an original, essentially speaking. Which is why I brought up the question of whether Big Foot is a pure titan and not human-transformed.

The way he spoke to Mike, it's like it's the first time it's made contact with a human. Its ignorance to the 3D maneuver gear. An authority-like ability it has over the fodder titans (leading them like a pack, and possibly creating them as well). Big Foot is different from the others in more ways than one.

Aldrich

Manga Editor
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
France
The thing is, what's the point of climbing over it? The colossal titan and the armored titan poked a hole in the wall so the fodder titans could flood in and over run the humans. Seeing Big Foot climb over doesn't make much sense in contrast to them, titans aren't going to rush in and kill off everybody (if you discount Connie's villagers).
I don't think he cares about getting the human territory overrun by titans unlike Reyner and Annie's faction, then of course the question is: what's his goal? Why did he climb the wall, turn the population of a small village into titans, and then stole Mike's 3D gear. I think for the moment there's not enough elements to explain his actions. In true titan fashion his motivations are completely mysterious and unexplainable for the moment.

My take on this whole thing is that for humans to experiment on creating titans from humans, you'd need something to base it off. You need an original, essentially speaking. Which is why I brought up the question of whether Big Foot is a pure titan and not human-transformed.
I think it's more likely that something went wrong during the process of creating and spreading the titan mutagen and that it somehow affected an ape who turned sentient after turning into a titan. I think it'd be pretty stupid if it turned out titans are a race of demon monkeys that humans had to copy or something. Sounds like some sort of B movie version of Planet of the Apes.

The way he spoke to Mike, it's like it's the first time it's made contact with a human. Its ignorance to the 3D maneuver gear. An authority-like ability it has over the fodder titans (leading them like a pack, and possibly creating them as well). Big Foot is different from the others in more ways than one.
It seems like most sentient titans have a degree of authority over lower, mindless ones, like Annie ordering all those titans to devour her in the forest of giant trees. Then it's probably a matter of mastery over this power. Remember this is still a shonen, and even if it's done in a smarter and more subtle way than in other manga for the same demographics, you still have different abilities that need to be trained such as the titans hardening technique or control over lower titan grunts.

gnut

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
to me,him cimbing the wall...was like a kid who snuck out and was sneaking back in before his parents woke up and discovered he was gone.

i think he lives in the community or atleast frequents it...no damage to the wall and taking advantage of a night where there isn't even any moonlight.or maybe it's as simple as he has a contact within the walls...i still find it odd that his appearance coincides with the capture of annie and the revelation that the walls are made from titans....

Reactions: nat

lolnameless

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
wait...i think it's pretty clear that pure titan is human based...

KetchikanAKGantzer

Reaction score
Country
United States
Since nobody posted it, I just want to say I think the giant is off to save Annie.

Reclaimer

Reaction score
Country
United States
Since nobody posted it, I just want to say I think the giant is off to save Annie.
Given that it is going the wrong direction (it just crossed Wall Rose and is in the territory of Wall Maria. We don't know where Annie is, but I doubt the scouting legion would store her outside of the territory controlled by mankind) and should have no way of knowing where she is (unless it has some way to "sense" her), I'm going to say this is doubtful.

teioh

Reaction score
Country
Italy
It's a stranger. He didn't know about 3d gear so he can't be Annie's friend. It's from another "faction". Actually I'm curious if he will join the fight.

0Xellos

Reaction score
Country
Slovakia
I vote pure. At least I don't think he's human based. Something about him just feels... fundamentally different.

momotaro84

Reaction score
Country
Yugoslavia
Doesn't it seem like he crossed the wall solely to investigate? In addition, he is very cautious and is aware that humans have the means of slaying titans which is why he creates a distraction by turning villagers he knows would be helpless into titans (which so obviously seems to be his power).

However, when engaging soldiers he's still cautious not to approach them because it could spell his doom and the mechanism in which he transforms people into titans might be fairly involved.

teioh

Reaction score
Country
Italy
A stupid question: can he be an ape from the very begginning? An ape mutated in a similar way as Reyner & Co. so he can transform into a titan form and learn how to speak too.
Maybe a failed experiment that now move on a own will?

gnut

Reaction score
Country
United States
i tend to believe he is a level above eren,annie,bert,etc...no other titan has spoken besides the one that said ymir...and even that was baby jibberish.the ape titan actually has intellegent thoughts and speech...

i think he is evolved past the others...another thought of mine is...the titans in the walls could be the same as him.

---------- Post added at 02:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

just wanted to say...the ape titan may just be the original race of titans.we are now seeing that a majority of titans are humans that can control the transformation or are infected somehow(ex.connie's mother/ymir titan)...

humans may have used this ape titan dna/cells to make these titan tanks that they wear...but in the process created or purpose or by mistake an infection/chemical agent so to speak.eren's father will hold clues to the origins of these titan weapons or atleast the basement of their home does....

Last edited:

Beatrice

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
That Ape Titan...I need some music to think about this./BGM-Endless Nine

Climbing or crossing over the wall....
At first it makes one wonder why it does so, if I see him for what he is it makes sense being an Ape.
But that's way too easy and lacks an actual explanation.

Flipping over the chessboard:
By climbing over, there is no breach in the wall, yet Titans got in.Humanity is in uproar cause they believe the wall is breached sending the Stationary Guards.
Upon investigation, no breach was noted.
In other words, if word got out Titans got in, Humanity would of course believe there is a breach and it's only natural people are sent out.

Yet at the same time, if there is no breach, then that means the Titans haven't gotten in from the outside but from within the walls.
I flip the board again.
That Titan is one of high intelligence, it should know it can't do much alone even without knowledge of the gear, so climbing over by itself makes no sense unless it actually knows it has a chance.

So that Ape must have come up with a plan to be able to take on Humanity.

The Titans came from within the walls and the Ape acts like their boss.

Ok something like this:

The Ape Titan climbed the walls for the reason of there being no breach, he somehow managed to turn Humans into Titans to attack from within and make Humanity believe there is a breach.
This sends out stationary guard, afterall they guard the walls, at the same time, those Titans as we saw are taking the soldiers apart.
If it wasn't for Ymir, they'd all be dead.I daresay a half-titan is something the Ape didn't calculate.
The stationary guards need their time to arrive, we saw what happened, Nanaba,Mike,Rene all died.
If it wasn't for Ymir, the majority of the Titans would still be on the loose and could have picked apart the Stationary Guards weakening Humanity cause as said, the Ape climbs over Walls, Stationary Guards guard the Walls.
Mikasa,Hanji and Eren came in, yet that really was by chance timing.

Just my two cents on this.

gnut

Reaction score
Country
United States
well...i like your post...but annie also climb the walls...this is not a trait that the ape titan only possesses...
(ex.eren in recent chaps)

my point of bring up the walled in titans was...how did humans manage it and who were these colossal titans from 100yrs ago.

i'm thinking the walled titans are apetype titans and humans managed to build/manufacture/create titan suits from the ape titans to fight the ape titans..

annie seemed like she was in control of the titans also...but in reality she was only making the herd stampede the humans...i feel the ape titan did the same thing in this castle invasion.
in the instance were he talked to the titan before killing it doesn't exactly show or say that it understood him...that may be why it continued to attack...idk

to me...it seems as if this ape titan is on a whole other level than eren and annie

Beatrice

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
well...i like your post...but annie also climb the walls...this is not a trait that the ape titan only possesses...
I'm not saying it is, I'm saying the reason why it did.

Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Based on his behavior he definitely is not like eren or the others.... My first thought was that animals were being transformed into versions of titans however that stopped making sense when he did not actually look entirely deformed or mutated as normal titans. More so, he was able to speak although he didn't seem entirely sure of doing it right which indicates he is not very familiar with humans as a whole. Perhaps this guy is the origin of titans? Maybe the manga just takes place in a distopic future and monsters from legends of the past are simply early titans which were too few to be properly documented. Slenderman could easily be a titan lol.

teioh

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Slenderman?