Games - The Final Fantasy Thread! | Page 58 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Games The Final Fantasy Thread!

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'll just sound bitter if I talk about it, I think. I just don't believe in what they're doing on a lot of levels.

The visual style doesn't look bad I suppose. That's about the only nice thing I have to say about what I'm seeing honestly.

Reactions: Nii

TrienDarkform

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
FF7's soundtrack is one of the less memorable FF soundtracks for me, but still had enough decent tracks that I added it to my collection, including the Reunion Tracks CD.

That trailer, on the other hand... the music choice did not make me think of FF7 at all...

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
That means the first episode right, not the entire game? Guess we'll find out later today at Square's press conference...

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
FF7's soundtrack is one of the less memorable FF soundtracks for me, but still had enough decent tracks that I added it to my collection, including the Reunion Tracks CD.

That trailer, on the other hand... the music choice did not make me think of FF7 at all...
They lost the composer sadly.

That means the first episode right, not the entire game? Guess we'll find out later today at Square's press conference...
Almost certainly the first episode. They confirmed pretty recently that it will be released in parts. Everyone is assuming that it's just the Midgar part.

TrienDarkform

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
They lost the composer sadly.
Doh. I thought he was onboard still, but didn't catch the more recent news that he was no longer working due to health issues.

At least with his former involvement, they likely are able to reprise the older themes.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
So apparently the Remake is just going to be the Midgar part of FF7 and the physical edition is going to have 2 discs. For just the Midgar part. Yikes.

riki

Storyteller
Reaction score
Country
United States
More info including about the different collectors’ editions. I think I'll order the deluxe edition

Sky

Otaku Overlord
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
We will have to wait (probably) for the Tokyo Game Show to get actual information about the game.

Apart from that.

Oh my god.

Tifa.

:sky2

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Have to admit after hearing and seeing much more about the combat of FF7 Remake it doesn't look bad.

I still have plenty of concerns but, considering the style they are going with, it doesn't look like I was afraid it would. My fear was that it would be like FF XV or Kingdom Hearts. And it doesn't look like that. Seems like they are leaning heavily to time pausing mechanics to allow for the use of more varied abilities and tactics like materia and such. Which is interesting to me.

I still wonder how they are going to solve the issue of control of a full party and I'm not at all confident in the story additions but on the gameplay side I'm not hating what I'm seeing. And I honestly expected to.

Nii

First Shield
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Have to admit after hearing and seeing much more about the combat of FF7 Remake it doesn't look bad.

I still have plenty of concerns but, considering the style they are going with, it doesn't look like I was afraid it would. My fear was that it would be like FF XV or Kingdom Hearts. And it doesn't look like that. Seems like they are leaning heavily to time pausing mechanics to allow for the use of more varied abilities and tactics like materia and such. Which is interesting to me.

I still wonder how they are going to solve the issue of control of a full party and I'm not at all confident in the story additions but on the gameplay side I'm not hating what I'm seeing. And I honestly expected to.
During combat, you can switch between party members with one click. Outside of combat, you always use Cloud from what I heard. You're also allowed to deactivate the slow motion if you prefer a more swift fighting style (choosing the ability you want to use beforehand), but I really like that element, so I doubt I'm going to do that.
It really looks like a lot of fun, and I only see people praise the combat, so it honestly seems to be a lot better than I first expected.

As for the story, yeah... that can be hit or miss. Could go wrong in a lot of ways and I fear that's what's going to happen, but for now it at least looks like it will be a fun game, gotta stay positive (until the inevitable disappointment).

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
During combat, you can switch between party members with one click. Outside of combat, you always use Cloud from what I heard. You're also allowed to deactivate the slow motion if you prefer a more swift fighting style (choosing the ability you want to use beforehand), but I really like that element, so I doubt I'm going to do that.
It really looks like a lot of fun, and I only see people praise the combat, so it honestly seems to be a lot better than I first expected.

As for the story, yeah... that can be hit or miss. Could go wrong in a lot of ways and I fear that's what's going to happen, but for now it at least looks like it will be a fun game, gotta stay positive (until the inevitable disappointment).
Well the specific concern I have is about party member switching as a substitute for the full party control of the original system. Like in Dragon Age Inquisition they had a similar challenge and the result was that it massively simplified the combat and made the combat encounters simplistic and a bit boring. Which they had to do because your tactical control wasn't as good. And so the AI has to take over for most of you party most of the time. Party member switching doesn't necessarily help that. The real issue is that the AI will be controlling the rest of your party most of the time. Which causes them to move out of position or take stupid damage or use the wrong abilities or all kinds of stuff.

I'm not sure how they get around that problem. So I'm curious what thier answer to that is going to be.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
What I am most curious about, even above gameplay mechanics like which character controls or turns, is the materia system. I could live with a game that builds on FFXV (I'd rather not but still) but the core of ffvii gameplay was without a doubt the materia system and that is what they should be primarily building on. Limits are important as well of course but materia was also crucial to the plot and gameplay should reflect that. Getting materia, improving materia and most importantly combining materia. Ideally a FFVII would allow for many more materia combinations than before while simultaneously not making the game too easy (which is what kinda happened in ffvii once you gave cloud the materia to attack 4 times in a row for instance).

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
What I am most curious about, even above gameplay mechanics like which character controls or turns, is the materia system. I could live with a game that builds on FFXV (I'd rather not but still) but the core of ffvii gameplay was without a doubt the materia system and that is what they should be primarily building on. Limits are important as well of course but materia was also crucial to the plot and gameplay should reflect that. Getting materia, improving materia and most importantly combining materia. Ideally a FFVII would allow for many more materia combinations than before while simultaneously not making the game too easy (which is what kinda happened in ffvii once you gave cloud the materia to attack 4 times in a row for instance).
The gameplay impressions I heard didn't sound like they actually got to play with the material or inventory systems.

What they did say was it's not nearly as action-y as it looks since your basic attack isn't really how you fight (much like in the original). You just do that while your waiting for the ATB part to freeze time and with that you use the actual magic and such. Though it sounds like they borrowed stuff that were limits to flesh out the combat system so I wonder if they will do the same with command materia. Like for example Braver isn't a limitbreak in this. It's just a power attack. I could see them doing the same with materia like "Death Blow".

The important thing, I think, in maintaining FF7's original feel is going to be keeping magic crazy strong. Because in the original game much of it was resource management. Like you could end most regular battles in one shot with an All material + and Element Materia. But if you do that your not going to be able to beat the boss because you'll have no MP and Ether's were made intentionally rare and expensive.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
The gameplay impressions I heard didn't sound like they actually got to play with the material or inventory systems.

What they did say was it's not nearly as action-y as it looks since your basic attack isn't really how you fight (much like in the original). You just do that while your waiting for the ATB part to freeze time and with that you use the actual magic and such. Though it sounds like they borrowed stuff that were limits to flesh out the combat system so I wonder if they will do the same with command materia. Like for example Braver isn't a limitbreak in this. It's just a power attack. I could see them doing the same with materia like "Death Blow".

The important thing, I think, in maintaining FF7's original feel is going to be keeping magic crazy strong. Because in the original game much of it was resource management. Like you could end most regular battles in one shot with an All material + and Element Materia. But if you do that your not going to be able to beat the boss because you'll have no MP and Ether's were made intentionally rare and expensive.
Maybe I am misremembering the games but I don't think I've ever suffered from a lack of eithers. Of course, they are rare but.... that's why I play around that and use them as little as possible. But the result of that is that I end up with most ethers I find in my inventory until the point where they are not quite necessary. Ethers in general are more important at the start of the game and quickly become less and less important... I am not sure if making this about resource management makes this interesting or fun. I'd rather this be about some sort of combat alchemy than the ethers and potions in my inventory.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Maybe I am misremembering the games but I don't think I've ever suffered from a lack of eithers. Of course, they are rare but.... that's why I play around that and use them as little as possible. But the result of that is that I end up with most ethers I find in my inventory until the point where they are not quite necessary. Ethers in general are more important at the start of the game and quickly become less and less important... I am not sure if making this about resource management makes this interesting or fun. I'd rather this be about some sort of combat alchemy than the ethers and potions in my inventory.
Depends on how you play to some degree. Obviously you end up with more ethers later but by the time you do your MP requirements make them meaningless. Then you need hi-ethers, etc, etc.

It was the only thing stopping the player from running through the game just using spells like Enemy Skill: Trine to roll through everything. Which you could do but it burnt through reasources to the point that you couldn't keep doing it because you don't make enough gil doing it to pay for the ethers you use.

My point though was that magic was extremely strong relative to everything else , even more so that other JRPGs, and that's intrinsic to FF7.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

To illustrate the in game balance. In FF7...

Potion = 50 gil
Hi Potion = 300 gil
Phoenix Down = 350 gil
Ether =1500 gil

Sky

Otaku Overlord
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
No FF7 in march.
The game has been postponed till April 10th.

Nii

First Shield
Reaction score
Country
Germany
@Jammin did you play the demo? Or anyone else here? Thought it was a lot of fun. More challenging than I thought even, but that was part of the fun. Think they're pretty much nailing it so far, hopefully they can keep this level for the whole game.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have not played the demo yet but I intend to. I've certainly heard a great many good things and the odds of me playing it went up a lot when i heard there would be more turn based mode. Because I'm not an action JRPG guy.

Probably won't play it for a bit though because Persona Royal and Mount & Blade: Bannerlord are coming at the end of March.