Hangout - The Gamer by Sung Sang-Young | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Hangout The Gamer by Sung Sang-Young

Astral_Shive

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
Demographics:Shounen
Genre: Action,Comedy,School Life,Supernatural
Publishing Status: Ongoing
Writer: Sung San-Young
Artist: Sang-Ah
Groups Editing: BAP Scans, Mangacow

Story:
What would happen if your world suddenly turned into a game? If you could level up and raise your stats? An adventure of a life-turned-game.
Han Jee-Han, a normal high school student, suddenly develops a special power where his entire world is shifted into a game-like setting. He can see the power levels of people, look at the stats of a seemingly normal item, get abilities, and even level up! Follow Han Jee-Han as he discovers how to use this power, and maybe even where it came from.

Personal Note
It's a new Manhwa, started about 2 months ago, however it has great potential to become one of the top manhwas out there.
Mega funny and I'm just waiting for the main character to become superbadass!!

You can read it here : http://www.mangapanda.com/the-gamer

Last edited by a moderator:

shaheer

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Re: The Gamer by Sung San-Young & Sang-Ah

Thanks Astral for this webtoon, this is an awesome piece of work the story is generic but the power of the main is too innovative. Really am looking forward for the development of the main chara.

kidopitz27

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

it's like the protagonist is already OP if he use and train his skills correctly

working , studying ,exercising or everything he do = EXP

i love his inventory box hahahaha imagine carrying a lot of baggage and you put it on the inventory hahahaha

Astral_Shive

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind

it's like the protagonist is already OP if he use and train his skills correctly

working , studying ,exercising or everything he do = EXP

i love his inventory box hahahaha imagine carrying a lot of baggage and you put it on the inventory hahahaha
Haha I like the idea, but knowing life - he is probably limited to how much he can carry...(For now at least) :D

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

I thought this is rather cool story, or at least lead character, all his expression, determination, and design makes him so lovable. Was confused though on if he is the only one with his ability which seems to span multiple physical and support attributes.

shaheer

Reaction score
Country
Singapore

The story and the pacing is generic shonen, the only thing that excel is the power of the main chara. I really would like for this manhwa to go mainstream as in the big 3 of manhwah ie TOG breaker and noblesse

kidopitz27

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

i really like what happen on Chapter 10 - i mean he just grabbed a book and it went like " LEARN SKILL?" holy crap i mean i think he will try to touch a lot of books after this one :D

but maybe the limit will be like his stats - like to learn this skill you must have this "XX Str to learn" or something like that

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

Managed to read it before the next chapter was out but it was worthwhile. Highly hilarious storytelling, excellent colours, and the gamer ability/comparing everything to it reminds me of dreams long ago and what not. Continuing to see this idea explored in such a story is rather pleasing.

Leveling up for his close friend alone is commendable and touching.

shaheer

Reaction score
Country
Singapore

i really like what happen on Chapter 10 - i mean he just grabbed a book and it went like " LEARN SKILL?" holy crap i mean i think he will try to touch a lot of books after this one :D

but maybe the limit will be like his stats - like to learn this skill you must have this "XX Str to learn" or something like that
you know when we get a scroll of attack in games we use it to learn some moves, I loved it when similar stuffs happend
this webtoon has the potential to go far like TOG, lets just hope it will do that

kidopitz27

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

you know when we get a scroll of attack in games we use it to learn some moves, I loved it when similar stuffs happend
this webtoon has the potential to go far like TOG, lets just hope it will do that
in some games a Scroll of ______ (thunderbolt , fire , etc) is just a 1 time use item (there is a term of that too i forgot) and you can't learn it while the skill books let you learn skills

i hope in the following chapters he will look for scrolls and books

i really hope that his mother is one of the powerful character in this webtoon :D

LoS

Reaction score
Country
Isle of Man

His mom probably is based on her reaction to finding out his friend was hurt, and the sons reaction immediately after about her question marks. His father might have also been some strong person, since we haven't seen him. He might have been killed off in the past, involved in some organization etc..

btw, the newest raw has already been posted. Pretty humorous how he obtained the skill simply from opening the book, and he also has a kamehameha mana blast now it appears.

Last edited:

shaheer

Reaction score
Country
Singapore

when does the raw of Gamer come out? So far the scannalations havent uploaded, is the frequency of this manga like Ability coming once in 2 weeks?

LoS

Reaction score
Country
Isle of Man

It comes out Thursday mornings in the US, I think. And the Edited Manga group doing this series has been doing weekly uploads, but it's still a relatively new series so who knows how it will all play out.

Wowzers

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Canada

This looks like it will be fun! :)

There is usually limitations on inventory, whether it be the number of 'slots' or you are limited by weight. He seems to have slots from the way his inventory is organized. Usually, with this kind of layout, each individual item counts to occupy a slot.... in other words, you can't pack a suitcase with many items and put the whole thing in one slot. You might be able to get more slots though by putting an appropriate 'bag' or 'container' in a special slot.

If it was organized by weight, the stronger you are, the more weight you can carry.

As for that book, I would think it is more like a 'tome' than a scroll. You learn skills from tomes.

Yeah, I've spent too much time gaming myself. :)

kidopitz27

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

hahah i was correct the skill book needs stat :D he needs 15 INT + 15 VIT lols :D but the weird thing is his friend said that there is a prerequisite skill to learn and yet he can learn the skill only if he get the stat which is pretty easy exercise + study

i hope he use Heal to those zombies :D - Ragnarok Online damage undead with heal :D

Last edited:

Astral_Shive

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind

Energy Bolt, Energy Bolt!! - hahaha I Hope he will learn some bigger techniques like Fireball or something( Flame wall, Energy Wall). Overall a really good chapter I liked his friend reactions, he was just confused about everything that the main character did :D

shaheer

Reaction score
Country
Singapore

LOL did you guys check with a soul stone the recovery is 50 LOLZ the author must be a mad gamer to be that specific. I liked the concept of energy bolt ut i dont like the idea of him being a healer. I hope he is more like a combatant than anything.
Ne way there should be a catch when it said soul is burned etc prolly the main will get tired after he uses it too much or sth and need to rest.

Last edited:

LoS

Reaction score
Country
Isle of Man

For those of you that do game, what are typical level caps? Are they usually maxed out at 100? If that's the case we have already seen people who are mid-level type players with that guy in the 40's.

Wowzers

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Canada

I've been on games where the level cap was as low as 20 and as high as 100. There are some games that don't have a cap, but the exp requirement goes up exponentially, so eventually you would reach an effective limit where you could game all year and not level.

Important question: What happens when his character dies?

Most games have a system for resurrection or Rezzing. There are usually some kind of negative consequences, but they usually can be overcome... ie: in an old MUD I used to play, you rezzed back in town with no armor or weapons and lost everything in your inventory AND lost a level. You could get most of the armor, weapons and items back if you ran back to your body and looted it... BEFORE someone else looted your body.

Needles to say there were a lot of naked people running out of town as fast as they could. :XD