Discussion - The Japanese Study Thread | Page 16 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion The Japanese Study Thread

cmertb

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
You always need a dictionary when translating, no matter how well you know the two languages. But if you're just reading, you don't necessarily need one, even if you don't know every single word. I think you can start reading average manga without a dictionary around N2 level.

Ominae

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I've been reading RAW manga for about 7 years now and I still use a dictionary regularly. I wouldn't suggest thinking that that is something your going to grow out of any time soon. Sure, you might go 10 pages without looking up a word, but it's still necessary.

I do use paper dictionaries, since no dictionary has everything you need, but my main dictionary is a software one that I bought a long time ago, and it's freeware now. Here is a link, if your interested: JQuickTrans I recommend typing in Kana and disabling Romanji conversion, it will filter out a lot of garbage results.
I don't have my paper dictionary with me right now, so this may be the next best thing for me. Thanks, I'll go have a look around.

I guess being schooled in a Catholic school with Mandarin Chinese-based curriculum is still helpful after all these years. XD

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I don't have my paper dictionary with me right now, so this may be the next best thing for me. Thanks, I'll go have a look around.

I guess being schooled in a Catholic school with Mandarin Chinese-based curriculum is still helpful after all these years. XD
Over the time you would realise Chinese is much more similar to Japanese than you might think at first :D
Especially kanji... For example,
in Mandarin pinyin, jing = 鏡 京 境 競 經 景 敬 警, xing = 型 興 形,
Cantonese ging = 京 境 競 經 景 敬 警, hing = 興 輕 慶 兄 卿, ying = 型 形
while in Japanese, kyou = 鏡 京 境 競 興 兄, kei = 経 景 敬 型 形 警 軽 慶 兄 卿.

A lot of the sounds are very similar, and fall into the same 'category' of pronunciation. In effect, you can make a very accurate educated guess of the on'yomi for many Japanese kanji if you have a good knowledge in Chinese, and vice versa :XD

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania

I use tangorin as an online dictionary, and it never failed me in translating manga or just reading the raws

Ominae

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look at that too when my day isn't hectic ever since my dad's not making me head back to uni (I have a community college degree) in order to make me work. -_-;;

RinGO321227

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Hi, guys! Recently, I received an electronic dictionary (SHARP BRAIN PW-G5300-W) and since it's all in Japanese, I dont know how to use it. It sucks, I know. So does anyone here knows how to use an e-dictionary?

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, guys! Recently, I received an electronic dictionary (SHARP BRAIN PW-G5300-W) and since it's all in Japanese, I dont know how to use it. It sucks, I know. So does anyone here knows how to use an e-dictionary?
It looks like a very nice e-dictionary.
The quick guide: pdf format [ link ] (2 pages) is what you need to read. If you have any specific questions, it may be easier for other members to answer your question.

はじめてお使いになるときは  7.  <--- First time set up: I hope you made a correct selection at least. It's after you set your date&time. Select "アルカリ乾電池" alkaline battery if you put the enclosed batteries.

Maybe other members use the same model as yours. Good luck.

Ominae

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Alrighty folks.

Old man decided to put me (thanks to mom's advice) in a Japanese language center in Manila to brush on whatever elementary-based Japanese I have before I could go to Waseda for more Japanese language training.

I'm reviewing the hiragana/katakana stuff for assessment. Anything else to take note?

If you got something that can be useful via link, post it here. I may be missing something since I only have the hiragana/katakana charts and I don't have the study guide with me from Vancouver. :(

Ominae

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Busted my ass off and I failed the simulated test. Back to Elementary Japanese again. :-_-

Least it can help refresh whatever Japanese is left in me brain.

vicious001

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Re: Japanese Learning Resources

ok, can someone help me, about this "nandayo", "ndayo", "nodayo" thing, it is kind of confusing

Darjaille

Custom Title
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Slovakia

ok, can someone help me, about this "nandayo", "ndayo", "nodayo" thing, it is kind of confusing
I assume you know what da yo means (the verb of existence? being? plus particle of emhpasis).
No, n, nan, nano (well, only "no" really) in this place of the sentence means explanatory tone. If it's a declarative sentence/answer, it carries the nuances of "I'm explaining" or maybe confirming. In a question, you're asking someone to explain/confirm. If you're attaching "no" to a noun or na-adj you have to add a "na" making it "nano". And in speech, the "no" gets shortened to "n" often as it's easier to pronounce. You also don't have to add the "desu"/"da" at the end, in declarative sentence not using "da" does sound kind of feminine.

明日は水曜日なの。 (Ashita wa suiyobi na no - Tomorrow it's wednesday! [feminine explanatory undertone])
明日は水曜日なんだよ。(Ashita wa suiyobi nan da yo - Tomorrow it's wednesday! [normal explanatory undertone])
外は寒いの。 (Soto wa samui no - It's cold outside [feminine explanatory])
外は寒いんですよ。 (Soto wa samui n da yo - It's cold outside [normal explanatory undertone])

I feel in many cases it doesn't really matter whether you use it or not, I mean saying
この先食べに行くんだよ。(Kono saki tabe ni iku n da yo - After this ends I'm going to go eat [explanatory tone])
or
この先食べに行くよ。 (Kono saki tabe ni iku yo - Same but without explanatory particle, just announcing)

- it doesn't really matter too much, it depends on the person who's saying it. If the person wants to add the nuance of "I'm explaining this to you!" then they will add it. In a polite question, it does hold the nuance of "please explain this", but in casual questions, "no" is actually used only to imply the question itself.

明日試合を見に行くんですか。(Ashita shiai wo mi ni iku n desu ka - Are you going to watch the match tomorrow? [polite inquiry, "ka" is the question marker])

明日試合を見に来るの? (Ashita shiai wo mi ni kuru no? - Coming to watch the match tomorrow? [casual question, "no" makes the question instead of "ka")

I'm sorry if I wrote something wrong or unclear:ninja

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
Reaction score
Country
United States

Verb/Adj + no/n + da/desu.

When you want to use verbs or most adjectives followed by da/desu, you add "no (or colloquial n)."

The last "yo" does not mean much, but it softens the tone of voice.

Edit/Add:

When you use nouns, add na before no/n + da/desu.

Last edited:

Ominae

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Something to share it's related.

I found it weird that I was headhunted by a company for a Japanese language position despite my certification for N5 last year. I was told that salary is 25K pesos in Manila or 562 American dollars.

I need to make a decision later since I relocated to Manila from Vancouver with no job in sight, it's my first job offer. Of course, I'll be assessed on how far my N5 studies go. Probably will need to ask on how the company's going to help me improve my Japanese skills if I decide to take the offer.

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Something to share it's related.

I found it weird that I was headhunted by a company for a Japanese language position despite my certification for N5 last year. I was told that salary is 25K pesos in Manila or 562 American dollars.

I need to make a decision later since I relocated to Manila from Vancouver with no job in sight, it's my first job offer. Of course, I'll be assessed on how far my N5 studies go. Probably will need to ask on how the company's going to help me improve my Japanese skills if I decide to take the offer.
How much does it cost to live in Manila per month? Can you live with $562/month (before or after tax?) ? Can you find any overseas English instructor jobs that might pay you more?

YumaKuga

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Does anyone know a good japanese dictionary of kanji? I use an old Kodansha dictionary, but kinda think its outdated.

Leoat12

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Last edited:

Saithan

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Re: [JP] The Official Kanji Ask-for-Help Thread

I couldn't really figure out where to post this question regarding translating, so here goes :)

How long does it take a translator to write the sentences in japanese word processor before doing the translation of a chapter ?

I have always just done the translation in notepad, but now I'm working on a chapter of a seinen manga, and as you know there aren't any furigana which makes the kanji recognition and writing a lot harder.

cmertb

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: [JP] The Official Kanji Ask-for-Help Thread

I used to do that only when I was a beginner. I don't see the need to retype jp text anymore. As for how long, it depends entirely on how many unknown words and kanji are there. If you know all of them, it'll take you as long as it would take to retype English text. Basically, if you feel like it's taking too much time, improve your vocab.

Saithan

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Good point, and quite a few of the kanjis are basic so I need to learn them. Perhaps this is just a beginners challenge. The kanjis I learned are more or less all from when I studied japanese, and for some reason the kanjis were quite easy to memorize back then. I think this was due to the kanjis being used in simple ways and everyday use that made it easy to recognize later on.

thanks for the advice though.