Discussion - The Japanese Study Thread | Page 17 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion The Japanese Study Thread

Niffer

Translator
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Saithan!

If you want to improve your vocabulary I highly recommend Memrise.com, it's a website/app that's basically a flashcard program with the flashcard decks made by you and other people. And it uses gamification to help you study so it's fun! I still study new vocabulary and kanji, you can never stop really. (I find it helps to aim for a JLPT level, even if you're not going to take the test). Don't forget grammar as well as kanji/vocab ;)

But if you want to get stuck into your seinen manga right away then I suggest getting an app on your phone that lets you draw the kanji into a JP <-> EN dictionary. I always use mine when translating seinen manga or novels. Making a note of vocabulary that comes up and then studying it helps too ^^ You find yourself getting more knowledgeable on the manga world and vocabulary used in it, meaning later chapters are faster to translate (in theory haha).

Hope that was helpful!

Saithan

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Denmark
heh, already got the apps for studying and such. But I have to admit that reading and watching (or rather listening) to japanese is what I make do with. At least I don't get too rusty this way.

Thanks for the advice though I'll try to brush up for JPLT 4-3.