School - The Major Thread | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

School The Major Thread

miyi

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
You don't HAVE to have you PhD, I have a few professors who only have their Master's. But the PhD is probably preferred.
thanks for that info...actually that's also what I've heard from some of my professors, but they almost always encourage for you to get your phD, it probably won't hurt you, they say.

I've noticed there's a lot of people here who plans to teach...

Is it only me, or are you thinking the same way I do, when I'm making a habit of borrowing teaching techniques from some of my best professors?

SoulReaporKoul

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I started off Majoring in Physiology (life sciences) found out I hated it and am now switching to Computer Science and Physics (Which I love :))

BlueChild

Undercover Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I've noticed there's a lot of people here who plans to teach...

Is it only me, or are you thinking the same way I do, when I'm making a habit of borrowing teaching techniques from some of my best professors?
Well, i guess it's kinda hard to copy a professor's technique for me, since i'm going to teach at school. If i try to use the professor's ways of teaching on a 5th grade student, i don't think it wwill be of much use. but yeah, since my requirement for my studies is to go into school from time to time, observe and try to give lessons, i do observe the way teachers teach and try to memorize it for the future =)
I think it's the best way of learning anyway. The techniques we are taught in seminars are sometimes...a bit "stupid" as it seems. Methods for groupwork...if i used such methods in the higher grades (11-13 or so), they'd just have very good laughs at me. So i try to learn from teacher's experience =)

Nantalith

Proofreader
Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Major in Communication Science with an English minor but changing to Linguistics next year. As I stand I'm a qualified legal office assistant but that's not what I do *shudders*

blai

Corporate
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Nature Science - Medicine, as in pre-med school in Swe.

hashikei

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Computer Engineering, 4 years (←in Canada)

Annoying requirement- Apprenticeship for 4 years, then take the 'Professional Engineering Exam" thing before getting a license... (-__-) (I think there's more...it just varies....I think)

segua

Reviewer
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
You don't HAVE to have you PhD, I have a few professors who only have their Master's. But the PhD is probably preferred.
As my English Professor once said, he preferred to be called Master than Doctor lol.

arslan

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
I am a pre-med student with an undecided major:(. I am confused between, chem, bio-chem, biology, or physics. But I do know I will be a math minor because I only need three more courses to do that. Any advise as to what major should I choose is welcome :)

blai

Corporate
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Physics is horrible! Go for bio-chem! It's soo much fun. I've just started my bio-chem course now (we do that 2nd year in high school in Swe) and it is awesome compared to physics.. It might be because i cant remember all those formulas!!!:@

SoulReaporKoul

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I am a pre-med student with an undecided major:(. I am confused between, chem, bio-chem, biology, or physics. But I do know I will be a math minor because I only need three more courses to do that. Any advise as to what major should I choose is welcome :)
It really depends on the med school you want to go to as well as the type of person you are, and what complementary courses you want to take.

Most (if not all) med schools don't care what Bachelors you get as long as you have taken all pre-requisites as well as any qualification exams they want (this is where exams like the MCAT and TOEFL come in). That being said, some schools will accept/reserve more seats for CERTAIN majors meaning you will have more chances at getting in (The downside to this might be that a lot more pre-med students switch to those majors creating more competition thus making other majors less competitive and thus easier to get accepted, it basically depends on who ELSE is applying as well a what you're qualifications are).

The second part with being what kind of person you are is simply asking whether your good at, or enjoy memorizing facts and just regurgitating them (Mostly in Bio, and less but equally prevalent in Bio-Chem), or whether you enjoy understanding concepts and applying those concepts (and yes formulas) to PROBLEMS (This has a lot more manipulation and is found A LOT and mostly in Physics, and to a much lesser degree in Chem).

The last part deals with what complementary courses you need to take, with Bio, Chem, and Bio-Chem, most complementary courses lend to each other with mostly only having the core courses being different. Physics on the other hand is COMPLETELY Different, your complementary (as well as core) courses are either MATH, PHYSICS, or COMPUTER SCIENCE (The last one only applies for SOME minor conc. and is usually a popular elective rather than a forced Complementary).

If it was me, and because I'm the type of person that I am, I would choose physics, simply because I GET IT, as well as I love that I get to manipulate or play with information, I love problem solving (I get a high every time I solve a problem), and the assignments really help to hammer in details and learning/memorizing seems a lot easier (Trust me, formulas are easier to learn if you've been using the same ones to answer 20 questions a night...ok..not that much but you get what I mean), also, on Exams there is also a way to get partial marks, whereas with Bio and the rest, it's pure memorizing random facts (and latin names) to regurgitate info, and Exams become whether you know the answer or not.

Hope this post helps

rhapsody blue

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
yay another pre-med major! now you can suffer through the pain i've endured for the last four years.

you can major in anything you want as long as you take your one year of biology, one year of general chemistry, one year of organic chemistry, and one year of physics.

out of the majors you listed, go with biology. it's more applicable and relative to medical school out of all the majors. physics is one of the hardest majors out there and a low gpa in a hard major isn't going to help. i was a biochemistry major before switching over to biology; the subject is really interesting but you'll have to take physical chemistry which is one of the hardest courses offered in college (most people do poorly in this class). besides, biochemistry will only help you with one semester/quarter of med school. biology is more helpful since it helps prepare you for the mcat and for the medical courses.

blai

Corporate
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Rhapsody blue - I'm currently reading all those subjects now... So if i go to college in the states i will read all those subjects again? woho. :p

As for physical chemistry we've divided it into course A and B, I merely passed the first course...

EvilGenious

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
how come i've never seen this thread before...

okay...i just graduated with a bachelor of arts in geography, with an emphasis in natural resources and the environment. i have a minor in geology (earth sciences to those who dont know). the worse part about my school was that anyone working on a BA had to take 2 years of a languages (exception being international studies and foreign languages, who took 3-4 years). my degree program required me taking calculus 1 (which i passed with a D, mind you!). i also had to have 3 courses in sciences, which didnt bother me at all, because geology counted in that area.

i would have to say that my favorite class of all time was digital cartography (aka computer map drawing)

redcometfm

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Double Major in History and Cinema Studies as well as TEFL Certificate. Plan on going on to get my MA in History. Hopefully a 2nd degree in Film. Abroad most likely.

Paper

Reaction score
Country
Earth Kindom
Back in college. I'm planning on doing a double major on Culinary Arts and Hotel Administration.

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
that's cool, paperboy! let's meet sometime and go head to head, like iron chef or something. After we've earned our degrees. heh.

Paper

Reaction score
Country
Earth Kindom
Haha! You cannot beat my kung-fu! :p

blai

Corporate
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Medicine and Biology > all

hkloo83

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
i major in computer science

FuuRinKaInZan

Reaction score
Country
Bahamas
My major is Asian studies with a concentration on the japanese language. Im also thinking about doing an international relations minor. I love learning about japan and its language and I also find the language classes easy and fun although some say its hard.