School - The Major Thread | Page 5 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

School The Major Thread

Forever_Melody

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I wish I could pick a major lol :p

illusionsfool

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Japanese, I would say, is one of the more challenging languages to learn. I've learned English (obviously, haha, my native language is German) and Spanish (not fluently, but I took about 5 years of it) and Japanese has definitely been more difficult than either. I'm learning Chinese right now too and I'd say Chinese is harder than Japanese, at least when it comes to writing, but grammar-wise, Japanese is more difficult. Some people may not think Japanese is difficult but even as a person who's been learning languages since childhood, it has been challenging for me. I also heard once that people who are good at math tend to be bad at languages because it uses the same part of the brain. I personally believe it because I'm decent at languages, but can't do math to save my life. :darn So that could be a hint as to how easy a person may find it, I guess.

aprilapple

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'm in molecular biology and biochemistry... It's a long name but it's pretty useless unless I continue on to graduate studies. I see many poor grad students in labs being paid minimal wage lol.... the tragedy --- TA for life LOL
I noticed I really enjoy chemistry... I might switch --- but that would require me to take more calc (which I have forgotten).
It all comes down to... WTF are you going to do with your degree?!?! hahahaha

blai

Corporate
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Is molecular biology and biochemistry any fun? I'm senior high now and studying Nature Science - Medicine which is basically that plus a lot of calc and physics... but the thing is that I'm taking biochemistry the last semesters but if it's like.. not fun i'll switch and go for more biology-economic courses instead... What's biochemistry like? I've heard it's a lot of laboratory experiments and that you need to write very good reports.. I don't like writing reports ;/ (because I'm not kick-ass with it ofc, or else I'd love it :p)

aprilapple

Reaction score
Country
Canada
You learn biochem in senior high? I never did that lol...
You probably learned photosynthesis in biology. A biology course would talk about the more general structural/functional/evolutionary significance... A biochemistry course would look at glycolysis and explain how each reaction occurs on every organic molecule: heavy organic chemistry and memorization. Of course, if you're into genetics ... biochem is the way to go.

I can't give you much input, I'm only starting my 2nd year in the fall. I'm volunteering in a biochem lab at the moment, and it's mainly dealing with the genetic analysis of C.Elegans. Doing DNA experiments may sound theoretically exciting, but .... it's not easy even though it's just a lot of pipetting lol.... =.=

But I can't see how you can do biochemistry in high school. You would need a organic chemistry background (they don't even have an AP exam for that). Do you just mean biology and chemistry courses separately?

blai

Corporate
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Sounds cool! No, I've already taken two biology classes and two chemistry classes, it's biochemistry now. Taking it with biotechnology... it's just a basic course innit though.. But it sounds cool :wtf

aprilapple

Reaction score
Country
Canada
lol.... wtf what sort of high school do you go to...??? If it's just intro... there probably won't be any organic chem? It'll definitely be fun! biotech? lol.... In university (at least around here)... biotech's course load is essentially a double major in comp sci and biochemistry haha
The lab next door to mine is a bioinformatics lab... they program the computer to do a lot of protein folding with the genes they map --- sounds cool!

blai

Corporate
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Haha lol, idk, it's a private high-school, but I think there are some other schools in Swe that offers you those courses at high-school... Of course you can take 'em in Uni as well...
I know our biotechnology course will be filled with eDNA (electronic DNA), we are going to grow our own group of bacteria's and make them antibiotic resistant, work with enzymes in fruit, and then work a lot with the enzyme Catalase. We're also going to role-play and make a debate about genetic modifications and gene-tech in general.

Going to be a very interesting course.

Gcat88

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I want to major in helping people choose their major. xD

Black Lagoon

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Morocco
That's not dumb...I've always wanted to learn Japanese, is it hard? I still actually wanna learn, both speaking and writing..
Me too, Iwanna learn Japanese but I always find an excuse to not do it

Rainier

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Dominican Republic
I'm going to study Telematics Engineering :D

I'm a bachelor in Spanish Literature and Science.

Last edited:

Rejuvenation

Reaction score
Country
United States
Economics and hopefully will double major in Psychology.

Akiyama

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm studying mathematics. I have a fetish for numbers and calculations. ^_~

Dive

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm currently undeclared. I'm thinking about business, though. No idea on a minor.

LoneLobo

Reviewer
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I'm currently studying "Anglophone Studies" (focus on literature and culture) and "German Studies: Language, literature, culture and communication" (focus on literature and communication). Will probably have my bachelors degree this summer. =)

Gcat88

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I JUST GRADUATED!!!!

Strider's♥Death

Reaction score
Country
United States
Currently trying to major in Chemical engineering.

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Major is business, I might do marketing. I'm interested in it.

My desired major is medical, doctor or surgeon, but I"m too lazy to take the classes and I'm not an optimal surgeon as my hand isn't rock steady. I believe I'm intelligent enough to be in the medical field though, but this could be arrogance/self confidence talking.

Rainier

Reaction score
Country
Dominican Republic
^Your hand would be trained, so that is not such a huge problem.

strawhatsarah

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm graduating soon with a degree in English Literature! Then I'm moving on to major in Publishing :D