School - The Major Thread | Page 4 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

School The Major Thread

Tuppenny

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm a freshman majoring in Asian Studies, though I might double major in English or Psychology or something. AS fits my extremely scattered interests very well, since it's basically a little bit of everything, but with an Asian flavor.

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Well things have certainly changed this time around. After graduating from Architecture, I am now studying culinary arts. I'm in my first year, and I haven't decided on a major/specialty yet. :s

cHaotix8

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Computer Engineering major, which means I get a minor in Electrical, Computer Science, and Math easily. Might Grab a minor in Music and Business as well, though I was recently thinking of taking more art courses. Which would be suicide at this point.

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I think suicide is an understatement, chaotix. -_- you got all these sciences, and then a minor in music or some other art. hehe. It goes together I suppose. but maybe you don't need to take them as minors.

blai

Corporate
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I'm taking international relations next semester :) Looking forward to it. Along with Bio-chemistry

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
er.. what do you do with international relations? I heard about that, and I think in our school it's called International studies. I honestly don't know what they do. :s

blai

Corporate
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I'm not sure, either it's how the countries relations are as in like which countries like who and who's which ones cousin and if someone are adopted and stuff like that... Mainly like OC.....

naah i dunno, but i've heard it's a good subject to take and I like subjects that aren't focused on local stuff like.. Swedish Geography, but I wants global stuff!!! Yehey!

Isn't it how countries affect each others? For example the crisis in the states, how it affects the other countries money and why.

reinen

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Literature with concentration on Visual Design Major, I'm hesitate whether I'm moving to another major (IT, which I really like..) or not...

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Literature with visual design? I guess when you combine the two it becomes major in manga and comic books? hehe.

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Multimedia Technology, I have 5 Modules this year:

Video Production
Audio Visual Tech
Media Production Management
3D Modelling and Animation
Authoring Techniques

I don't really know what I'm gonna do with all that but it's quite varied and mixes well so guess I'll have a few options after I finish, which hopefully should be next year

blai

Corporate
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Gold, my friend in Bristol is taking
Video Production
Audio Visual Tech
3D Modelling and Animation

and he's making soooo cooooool stuffs i wish i could take those subjects :(

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Isit? wow, yeah I'm not all that good at animation yet but i'm hoping to improve on it and make it one of my main skills.

So tell me more about this international relations course you do??

blai

Corporate
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Well let's say that the conditions for international peace and security as well as human security is always in change and new cooperation- and conflict-patterns both on regional and global level is growing. My program is mainly about those processes and it's about learning analysing and reflecting over the central questions in the international relations of today. It is a lot of politics in it, which is awesome but we haven't had the course for so long and I'm taking it another two semesters until I graduate so it is a lot to learn!
Basically (iirc) I'm gonna learn about how the international relations of today works and what the central development-tendencies are. Also what prominent theoretical perspective and central concepts the subject is based on and like learn how to use it in the real world. It's also a lot about human rights, which has a development that both affects and is affected by the development of the global politics. It's mainly a theoretical course that is supposed to prepare me for studies in International Relations on adv. level -> Politic based.

Did that help you? :-D

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's great to see that there's still young people out there who genuinely find politics interesting and want to contribute to solidifying/building/improving relations between nations.

:faint Wow, that's amazing. So do you fancy yourself as a politician once you're finished? or is there a particular area in that field you hope to work in?

blai

Corporate
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Hehe yeah well even though a lot of young people find it boring, it is essential for a working country to have stable relations with countries.

Idk really.. I want to work with immigration and human rights, but also with our environment and the global warming.

As in, increasing the amount of immigrants, both fugitives and immigrants who wants asylum to start working here, increase that along with investing in green energy that really needs to be streamlined and whoops we have new jobs for example. Also we need to change the infrastructure, invest in the same type of trains that Japan is using, stop with the domestic flights because of the pollutions, the public transports need to stop using petrol and start with biogas and ethanol etc.

There is a lot to do and you can't do it all so I'll see in a couple of years.

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah that's pretty much all that's going on in most developped countries. I think the issue with the environment needs to be further underlined and stressed as I fear many people don't get the severity of what we're going to be dealing with in the coming years; not just us but our children and the generations to come.

There are so many things that need to be done, but that can't be done by one country or one person, international relations are key if we are to salvage anything from the current global situations...

blai

Corporate
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Yep, it all makes sense and it all fit together and that's why the EU is so important for the climate, globally!

Really looking forward to take my diploma in that so i can continue with further studies and then focus more on politics... somehow it've become cool. Everyone helps you in whatever way they can and i mean, i've been having friendly convos with persons like Carl Schlyter that's in the E-Parliament and ridden the same taxi so it doesn't feel like they are top prio and you are dirt, they want you to succeed and become interested... gosh i wanna be like him :pmg

I played Civ 4 with the mouthpiece for Green Party that is one of the bigger parties in the parliament. Note to self - Don't win, she hates to loose.

And because everything sticks together and is depending on other factors that's why i wanna study "IR" and immigration, integrity and human rights politics together with the global warming one.

illusionsfool

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Gosh, seeing all the chemistry and biology majors makes me feel dumb. :blink I'm doing a Linguistics major with minors in Japanese Studies and Chinese Studies. I'm already making plans to go to Osaka and do an Education Master's program in Teaching English as a Second Language.

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That's not dumb...I've always wanted to learn Japanese, is it hard? I still actually wanna learn, both speaking and writing..

blai

Corporate
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I'll learn japanese next semester :) Jay

And you don't have to be smart to be a med student... look at me lol