The MangaHelpers Manga Awards Discussion Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

The MangaHelpers Manga Awards Discussion Thread

destiny4ever

MH's Most Friendly Member
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to The MangaHelpers Manga Awards, an awards competition where you, the fans, nominate and decide what is the best of the best in the Manga world.

General Rules

The nomination process

Nominations are now closed!

Who will submit the nominations?
The nominations will be submitted by members of the staff and by you, the members of the site. In that way, all the members of the site will come together to decide what is the best of the best. :)

How to submit a nomination
Submit a nomination for the different award categories by posting in this thread and by explaining why said series/character/event deserves to be a nominee for that award category. The explanation cannot be longer than three lines.

- You don’t have to nominate for all the award categories, but you can only make 1 nomination for each award category.

-Out of all the nominations for the different award categories, only the 5 nominations that earn the most votes become the official nominees.

- To vote for a nomination, the only thing you need to do is to you write a post in this thread indicating your support for said nomination by writing: “I support *inserts the name of the nominee* for the *inserts the name of the award category*

-The nomination process will take place from now until the next two weeks; you can edit your nomination and your vote at any time during that period.

- Once a series/character/event has been nominated, it doesn’t need to be nominated for a second time. If you agree with said nomination, show your support by voting for said nomination.

-Please respect the opinions and nominations of others. It’s okay if you don’t like a series or a character or an event that another person nominates and it’s okay if you don’t agree with said nomination; but please do not bash the character, or the series, or event, or the person who posts the nomination. The purpose of The MangaHelpers Manga Awards is to do something as a whole community while having fun, not to initiate any kind of drama or fights.

-In case an award category doesn’t have enough nominations, the rest of the nominees will come from a panel of experts and members from the staff.

Awards Categories

Best Male Lead

Best Male Supporting Character

Best Female Lead

Best Female Supporting Character

Best Shoujo Manga

Best Shounen Manga

Best Josei Manga

Best Seinen Manga

Best Hairstyling

Best Costume Design

Best Villain

Best Fight

Best Kiss

Best Color Page

Best Double-Spread

Best Chapter

Best Couple

Best Full Cast

Best Artwork

Best WTF Moment

Best plot-twist

Best new series

Best Manga Overall

The Voting Process

-After 5 nominees have been selected for each one of the different award categories, the voting process will begin. The voting will be poll-based and separate threads will be created for each one of the different award categories.

-You don’t have to vote for all the award categories, but you can only vote for a category once. So please make sure you are voting for the series/character/event you really want to vote for before clicking on the poll.

-Once you have cast your vote, please feel free to continue the discussion about the nominees and who you think will be the winners of this contest.

-The winners of each award category will be the ones that earn the most votes.

-The voting process will take place from the moment we have enough nominees for the various award categories until the following two weeks. The results of the MangaHelpers Awards will be posted four days after the closing of the voting process.

-If you have any questions about the awards competition, please feel free to contact me or any of the following moderators via PM.

benelori
HegemonKhan
M3J
saladesu

Information about the manga series the nominees of the MH Manga Awards come from:

All credit for the links goes to M3J and naruto-niichan. Thank you very much for you great help guys!

Berserk

D.Gray-man

Psyren

Vagabond

Gintama

21st Century Boys

Fairy Tail

Naruto

Fist of the North Star

Dragon Ball

Great Teacher Onizuka

Bleach

Yakitate!! Japan

Hunter x Hunter

Beelzebub

The Big O

Hajime no Ippo

Ouran Koukou Host Bu

Bakuman

Tegami Bachi

Soul Eater

Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer

Kekkaishi

Eyeshield 21

Vinland Saga

Fullmetal Alchemist

Monster

Shin Angyo Onshi

Saint Seiya - The Lost Canvas

Liar Game

Death Note

Gantz

One Piece

Hellsing

Trigun Maximum

Kimi ni Todoke

Dr. Slump

Chrno Crusade (and yes, it is not a typo of "chrono," like I initially thought. <_<)

Seirei no Moribito

Suzuka

Kaichou wa Maid-Sama!

Planetes

xxxHoLic

Nurarihyon no Mago

Change Guy

I"s

Mobile Wing Gundam Wing: Battlefield of the Pacifists

Kimi no Iru Machi

Kochi Kame

20th Century Boys

Medaka Box

Yotsubato!

Urusei Yatsura

Lovely Complex

FLCL

Battle Angel Alita

Black Lagoon

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

Vampire Knight

Fruits Basket

Nana

X/1999

Hana no Kimi

Shinshi Doumei Cross

Trinity Blood

Cardcaptor Sakura

Magic Knight Rayearth

Shingeki no Kyojin

Muhyo to Rouji

Yu Yu Hakusho

Guyver

Pandora Hearts

Nodame Cantabile

Amatsuki

Kuragehime

Kimi wa Petto

Landreaall

Pumpkin and Mayonnaise

Honey & Clover

Saiyuki

07-Ghost

K-ON

Dogs: Bullets & Carnage

Blame!

Real

Akira

Imuri

Holyland

Noramimi

Me and the Devil Blues

Blade of the Immortal

Aiki

Until Death do us part

Yu-gi-oh!

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

Shiki

Hatsukoi Ltd. (Limited)

History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi

Veritas

Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicles

Code:Breaker

Kuroshitsuji

Otoyomegatari

Worst

Arakawa Under the Bridge

Ragnarok

Wofl Guy - Wolfen Crest

Rurouni Kenshi

Shigurui

The Breaker

Aria

Nabari no Ou

Mobile Suit Gundam 00f

Zatch Bell

Oyasumi Punpun

Slam Dunk

H2

Solanin

Cross Game

Shoot!

Spice and Wolf

Superior

Samurai Deeper Kyo

Durarara!!

Umineko no naku koro ni Episode 3: Banquet of the Golden Witch

Ultra Heaven

Air Gear

Ao no Exorcist

Mahou Sensei Negima!

The World God only knows (Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai)

Old Boy

Enigma

Oumagadoki Doubutsuen

The Breaker: New Waves

Ikusa no Ko - Oda Saburou Nobunaga Den

Doreamon

Haruka na Machi e

Mukashi no Hanashi

The Music of Marie

House of Five Leaves

Pika Ichi

Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

D.N. Angel

Team Medical Dragon

Hana yori Dango

Koroshiya Ichi

Fate/Stay Night

Last edited by a moderator:

ashher

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Re: The MangaHelpers Manga Awards

I go first :)...i nominate "Johann Liebert" from Monster as the best villain. He is so good (i mean bad) that he really makes good and bad look irrelevant.

Next i nominate L from Deathnote as the Best Supporting Male. There are many worthy choices in this category...but let us all go for THE L, for sheer cool factor.

Last edited:

destiny4ever

MH's Most Friendly Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

Thank you the nominations, ashher!! :) I have added them to the opening post.

I haven’t read Monster but I have heard it is an awesome series, and I have a feeling Johann Liebert has a lot to do with Monster being the great manga it is. :cool:

I have read Death Note so I can agree that L is a very worthy contestant for the nomination of Best Male Supporting Character. One of the reasons why Light was able to brightly shine (as a character) throughout the series was because of L. L was able to bring out to the max all the things that made Light into the interesting character he is, and being able to do that it is one of the characteristics of an awesome supporting character, IMHO.

Last edited:

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania

Great choice ashher, for both...Johan is an extremely appealing villain, I could say...nice choice:thumbs

My first entries are for Best villain: Orochimaru...the style, the snake symbol, the character design, and his overall presence in the manga makes him my overall favorite...

Then for Best male supporting character is Inspector Heinrich Runge from Monster...the best thing apart from his incredible intelligence, was that subjective memory process he used, and the gestures that followed it...and he kept me thinking for a long time that Tenma is the villain:XD

Next is Best Male Lead...this was probably my easiest choice, besides Orochimaru, so I nominate Gutts from Berserk...he is just the main driving force of the manga, and his development throughout the story is just brilliant

The next two categories share a single title...Blame! by Nihei Tsutomu for Best Artwork and Best Seinen...the art is one of the most complex and detail oriented arts I've seen in a manga, not to mention the imagination behind it...and it's the only manga that I've read in one go, because for me it was pretty breathtaking

Another title that will share to nominations: Full Metal Alchemist for Best Full Cast...the importance, the relationship between the characters, and the fact that I liked every character are the main reasons...and Ed & Winry for Best Couple...probably as hyped as NaruHina, but in the end it worked out:clap

It's really hard to remember details about all the mangas around...but a very good plot twist was, or the Best Plot-twist for now is
Aizen revealed as villain
in Bleach...probably the main reason why the SS arc is considered the best in Bleach til now

Best Shounen: Naruto...I like the characters, I like the universe that has been presented, the fights have great ideas behind them...NR.1:D

One moment that got me very excited and eager to continue the story was [mod=HegemonKhan](see the spoiler below)[/mod] ...so Best WTF moment goes to
L's media stunt on Kira in Death Note

yukilove21

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

hello :) Awesome choices to the both of you XD
Best Male Lead - Allen Walker from D.Gray-man. He is a nice, strong guy who cares for the ones he loves and fights for them and the demons called Akuma.

Best Female Lead - Misaki Ayuzawa from Kaichou Wa Maid Sama. She is... Awesome... She a Student Council President and a Maid. How better can that get?

Best Shoujo Manga - Now here is my calling~! I am caught between three really great ones. But hands down, Fruits Basket. The plot-line, the Characters. Everything. It is probably one of the best manga's created. Well, in my opinion.

Best Shounen Manga - Aaaaa.... Death Note. Hands down! The plot is original, the characters are very smart (and good looking. Just saying.) and I was attracted to the story from the very beginning.

Best Seinen Manga - K-ON. Come on! The characters are awesome. The plot attracts both guys and girls. And I named by guitar after Yui's guitar.

Best Villain - The Millennium Earl from D.Gray-Man. He is freakin' scary!! That smile! It reminds me of Peniwise the Clown from IT... Other than that... He is a pretty cool bad guy.. He is trying to over-throw god, which lets readers wonder why.

Best Fight - Bleach, Ichigo VS Ulquiorra Final battle. I love that fight, I was on the edge of my seat while reading that battle...

Best Kiss - Hehehehehe..... http://www.mangafox.com/manga/kaichou_wa_maid_sama/v07/c032/46.html hehehehehe. need I say more?

Best Color Page - http://www.mangafox.com/manga/naruto/v52/c503/2.html this actually is my favorite one ever. It is just so amazing, and I would have loved to see that really happen. Minato's face just makes it better :D

Best Double-Spread - http://www.mangafox.com/manga/bleach/v47/c420/12.html ... Hehehehe.... An awesome scene. I was like all, "NO WAY!" When I read it. (cause Ichi got even hotter.)

Best Couple - Since yoai won't get as much votes as I hope, and I am in love with this couple, Orihime Inoue X Ulquiorra Ciffer from Bleach. So many good moments... Then he has her heart in his hands (Not literally, but still)! EEEE!!! oooo, I am such a fangirl...

Best WTF Moment - *Sigh*....
Aizen's changing forms
... I know that I ma not the only one that went like this: o.O

Best plot-twist -
Finding out that Ace's father was Gol D. Roger in One Piece. I am still enjoying that Plot-twist... It was unexpected... And since I didn't read One Piece all the way through yet, and I skipped up a hundred chapters or so, I thought that Dragon was both Luffy's and Ace's father.. And I'm rambling...

Best new series - Enigme by Sakaki Kenji. It is great so far! I love it!! It is one of those series that I just love! It is just... Wonderful! I suggest everyone read it :3

Best Manga Overall - .... Kuroshitsuji by Toboso Yana. It is wonderful. The Art, The plot, The Characters. Every month, I die while I wait for a chapter. Each arc is a joy to read, unlike some manga's, where it gets troublesome, and sometimes contradicts itself.
Even though this manga is a big contradiction itself. It makes it even more interesting.
I would say that it is indeed one of my favorite manga's ever. And I know that their are a lot of fans, lurking...

Hehehe...

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden

Because someone has to say it...

Best Shounen: One Piece. The characters are priceless, the humor beats most series, the fights are intense and inventive and at many points it will even make you teary-eyed, all while maintaining an adventurous and heartfelt feeling. Not to mention the universe that has been built up throughout the series and the way Oda ties everything together so perfectly will make your jaw drop over and over again.

One Piece: It's an epic story as it is told best, mixing humor with intense action and emotional moments, taking us on a though-out and downright awesome adventure, and making us love every minute of it.

HegemonKhan

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

My Manga Nominations:

Best Villain in a Manga:

Priscilla in Claymore. She's more "Aizen" then Aizen is in Bleach, she's so wickedly cruelly evil, and she so is "Kefka's* twin sister"! "Pissy Prissy Priscilla the Psychotic Princess of Power". Priscilla the "Dark Fairy". But, she's no physically weak D&D fairy class. Oh, and she's hawt :D

*Kefka is the villain in (Final Fantasy 3 U.S. = Final Fantasy 6 Jap) game. He was (and maybe still is) the top ~1-3 villain for a long time in many gaming polls. So, a.k.a. crazy, psycho, insane, madness, and etc.

Best Manga Overall:

Claymore by Norihiro Yagi, FTW! If you like Berserk, you'll love Claymore. It's a masterpiece of literature. It's extremely deep, sophisticated, complex, and complicated. Everytime you read it, you learn something new. It's very fast paced. If you want a "kiddie", cliche, and "happily ever after" manga, then Claymore is not for you!

Best Kiss in a Manga:

Clare kissing Raki in Claymore. Clare slowly holds his head in her hands, leans forward just as slowly, lips parted and eyes dreamily barely open, Raki's eyes dilate, he gulps, his heart pounds, Clare's luscious lips plant against his lips, and stay lingeringly locked and pressed together, she pulls away but keeps looking at him with intense but so soft and loving big beautiful silver eyes of hers. It was love then and forever! But, Yagi is so cruel ....

Best Plot Twist in a Manga:

Priscilla decapitating Teresa and then Awakening in Claymore. This sets up the entire manga, and completely hooks you to it. As it's such a shock to you if you haven't been already spoiled, so totally unexpected! And oh do you HATE Priscilla for this! And how you so want Clare to get her vengence on Priscilla! "Priscilla must die!"

Best Male Supporting Character in a Manga:

Haji from Blood+ manga. Saya's faithful "servant/slave and lover" uber powerful chevalier. He's always there for her, in his stoic obeident usual silence. Her guardian angel always watching over her. At first he didn't like her as he was her slave and she was selfish and rude. But, that quickly changed, and he has loved her ever since, always being there for her, when she needs him the most. As a protector or just a chest to cry into and arms to hug her as she sobs her tears away.

Roy Revant from Solty Rei. ...

(they both are considered as Lead characters, so that's why they're scratched out)

Best Female Lead in a Manga:

Clare/Claire in Claymore. Clare is extremely complicated and complex, yet so simple too at the same time. Clare has got quite a life story that'll cause you to fall in love with her, as you follow her on her "journey" and slowly learn about her and then more and more about her! Oh, you so will fall so deeply in love with her! *Grins* :D

Best Female Supporting Character in a Manga:

*Dorothy Catalonia from Mobile Suit Gundam Wing*

Dorothy R. Wayneright in Big O. Roger Smith is first introduced to her as part of his job as a contractor. But, this android, will constantly come to his rescue and help him. They'll also fall in love with each other, and have really great and witty dialogue between them. Dorothy R. Wayneright: "You're such a louse, Roger Smith." (Dorothy R. Wayneright from Big O, is considered a Lead character, so that's why she's scratched out)

Best Male Lead in a Manga:

Alucard in Hellsing. If you know Hellsing, Alucard needs no explanation as to why he's the Best Male Lead :D

Best Couple in a Manga:

Kraft Lawrence <3 Holo the Wise Wolf in Spice and Wolf. Holo is such a dominant alpha female smirking and extremely witty tease towards Kraft, but he's also a tease back in his own way. Their interactions and dialogue between each other is so witty and awesome! And Holo gets so jealous and competitive towards other females!

Best Full Cast in a Manga:

Claymore. There's so many significant characters who get a huge role/part in Claymore and you get to know them all so well and deeply! The character development and relationship intimacy with them in Claymore will simply leave you breathless! You won't believe how well you get to know these characters of Claymore!

Best Fight in a Manga:

Clare vs Rigardo (the entire fight between them) in Claymore. Claymore readers/fans will fully understand this. It's truly an epic fight! I don't want to spoil it for those who don't know yet, hehe. Let's just say you see Clare's nightmarish "dark side". And to quote Rigardo himself right before he's killed by Clare: "Superb!"

Best Artwork in a Manga:

Claymore. Yagi is both the author and artist of Claymore! The artwork is different, as it is uniquely his, but oh is it breathtaking! The scenery is gorgeous and the battles are fabulously drawn! But most of all, the characters themselves. HK covers his heart with his hands: Galatea, Flora, Teresa, Alicia+Beth twins, Priscilla, Luciela, Irene, Ophelia, Clare, Clarice, Audrey, Yuma, Anastasia, and etc, and gasps huskily: B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L-! :D

Best Costume Design:

Claymore. The clothing in Claymore is awesome! From the standard Claymore uniforms to Irene's unique outfit to Alicia+Beth's unique black uniforms to the Ghosts' outfits to the Black Coats outfits to Priscilla's unique clothing to the jaw-droppingly gorgeous ruffled dress of Luciela, but most of all, dun dun dun dun dun ...
having the "Top Supermodel of the Goddesses" Galatea fighting in that nun outfit of hers! WOLF WHISTLES!

Last edited:

ashher

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh

Well let me be the 1st to vote someone else's nomination as well :). So i hereby solemnly pledge my support to FMA for 'best cast'..great choice Ben.

Now i my 2nd vote goes to Blame! for artwork.(another fabulous choice from Ben). No one will ever believe that the artwork in a goddam manga can be this good. Insane details, unbelievably expressive art(many pages don't even have a single dialogue), such intricate designing of his post-apocalyptic world, vast and suffocating at the same time that makes you feel the claustrophobic silence. Anatomy at times feel strange...but soon one realizes that it was intentional. Never seen a manga rely on art this much.

It makes me really sad to think that despite all the great mangas out there, One Piece is gonna end up taking the cake of the best Manga. Its not even the best shonen,a award that is even more certain to go in favor of OP. Even naruto is better than that, and with the manga like FMA and Deathnote out there...its gonna be just another proof that democracy is often does up choosing quantity over quaility.

Last edited:

Fomano

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil

Best Male Lead - Yoshina Ageha. His inner conflict of doing the right thing as a good guy or doing the right thing as a bad guy to definitely solve the problems was really one of the best things in Psyren. His power were pretty amazing and showed his conflict.

Best Female Lead - Claire, Claymore.

Best Shoujo Manga -

Best Shounen Manga - Psyren. Great art, characters, plot and especially the emotional development of the protagonist Yoshina Ageha.

Best Seinen Manga - Vagabond. Takehiko always make good stuff, but in Vagabond he is perfect. Great story, Exceptional art, Exceptional Protagonist and many other things that I can't put in 3 lines.

Best Villain - Aizen. One of the most evil guys in any media. He is as merciless as Darth Vader and as cinical and manipulator as Hannibal Lecter. Any villain that share something bad in common with those two deserves the top.

Best Fight - Miyamoto Musashi (Shinmen Takezo) vs Yoshioka School. A lesson of how to kick 50 asses alone. Vagabond.

Best Kiss - Claire kissing Raki, Claymore.

Best Color Page - http://www.mangafox.com/manga/naruto/v52/c503/2.html
I have even cried thinking of Naruto being orphan with parents so cool.

Best Double-Spread - http://www.mangafox.com/manga/bleach/v47/c420/12.html
Can't even explain how fantastic was the transformation

Best Couple - Yoshina Ageha and Amamiya Sakurako from Psyren

Best WTF Moment - http://www.mangareader.net/103-57801-19/one-piece/chapter-598.html
Fake Robin with the cucumber.

Best plot-twist -
Finding out that Roger was Ace's father.

Best new series - Enigme by Sakaki Kenji. It reminds me a little of Psyren. So far the mistery is the best thing about Enigme.

Best Manga Overall - Psyren by Toshiaki Iwashiro. Great art, characters, plot and especially the emotional development of the protagonist Yoshina Ageha.

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
Reaction score
Country
Morocco

Here I go:

Best Male Lead: Miyamoto Musashi from Vagabond.
This character showed a dramatic change during the progress of the story. His philosophical view of the world along with his monologs make him a great lead male character.

Best Male Supporting Character: I support ashher for the nominee "L" from Death note.

Best Female Lead: Clair from Claymore.
She has quite the story. She's a great fighter and even if she's weak she still struggles to reach her goals. I would like her to be the winner of the best female lead.

Best Shounen Manga: One Piece.
No one hates one piece. That's the best aspect of this manga. The writer has a great imagination and makes the stupidest idea look awesome when he uses it in the story. I really don't see any shounen manga that can beat One Piece here. (I am actually a naruto fan. But when it comes to nominations, one has to be honest).

Best Seinen Manga: Berserk.
I'm sorry but there is no manga in the universe that can make me change my mind here. There are surely alot of good seinen series out there ut Berserk is something else. The art, The story, the action, the violence, the emotions... everything is maxed out in this masterpiece.

Best Hairstyling: Bleach.
When it comes to hairstyles, Bleach has alot of different hairstyles and they all look awesome combined with the artist skill in drawing human faces.

Best Villain: I support Ben for Orochimaru from Naruto.

Best Fight: Sandaime VS Orochimaru from Naruto - part1
This fight was amazing in all aspects. It was the first fight to the death in Naruto series. Greed and Desire vs Sacrifice and victory.

Best Artwork: Berserk.
No need to explain, just go take a look at the latest Berserk chapter :) no need to point a certain chapter ... they are all masterpieces!

Best Manga Overall: Berserk.
The almighty mangaka and his masterpiece. The story that you can read so many times without getting tired of it, the characters that have unique traits and superb design. The art that no one can beat, and the long life this manga has! Just imagine your nominee in 10 years from now :) no one will like it then. But look at Berserk, it survived 20 years and still kicking! and even if I age to 60, my opinion wont change :D

This is it for now, I may add/edit things later.
Shin.

Last edited:

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden

Best Male Lead: I second Shinsatsu’s nomination of Miyamoto Musashi from Vagabond.

[mod=HegemonKhan]he changed his nomination of Best Male Lead to Vash the Stampede from Trigun, so that's why it's scratched out above[/mod]

Best Male Supporting Character: While I do feel like I should second the nomination of L in this category, for the sake of competition I’ll nominate Niizuma Eiji from Bakuman.

When he first appeared, Eiji looked to be a future villain. From the start, he was introduced as a threat to the protagonists, being a ”young genius mangaka” just like them. As the series progresses, though, he turns out to be a really likable, if somewhat ”special”, kid. He does remain the main rival of our heroes, but a respectable and lovable one. He’s competitive and hell-bent on staying #1, but still cares for his competitors and wants to see them perform as well as they possibly can. Most of the time, though, he’s just a quirky and hilarious character, and a perfect fit for this category.

Best Artwork: Vinland Saga by Makoto Yukimura. Now, if you haven't read this series, don't use the early chapters for reference. The art had some serious upgrading when the series moved from a weekly to a monthly magazine. And maaaan, did it upgrade. The detail Yukimura puts into each and every panel is just amazing. I don't know what else to say except go check it out for yourself. You won't regret it.

zura113

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Japan

Hello!! :D

Okay my entries
Best villain - Takasugi Shinsuke from Gintama, because as far as I've seen and read, he is cunning, personality fits to be a villain (mysterious etc etc), he would do anything to reach his goals and his appearance is (Y)

Best Shoujo manga - Hana Kimi (Hanazakari no Kimitachi e). Well it's quite old but to alot of those who've read Hana Kimi out there, its their all time favorite, mine too. I read quite alot of shoujo mangas, and Hana Kimi is the best when taking the art style into account, the story, the developing romance between the characters.

Best Seinen manga is DOGS Bullets and Carnage because the plot is amazing and original. Not to mention, the characters are unique. Naoto and Haine to be specific. The way the story goes on, the characters' roles and involvment in the plot is (Y)

Best Shonen manga - In my opinion, its Fullmetal Alchemist. by Arakawa Hiromu Epic, and the most original plot I've ever come across. Characters involvement is great, art style is simple and quite attractive.

Best Male Lead- Sakata Gintoki from Gintama. His personality is what I find attractive. Laid back most of the time, cares deeply for those close to him, great sense of humor etc. Character design is great too, quite unique. I haven't really seen many characters with silver hair, permed :D .

Best Male Supporting character - Kanda Yuu from D.Gray Man. His character design, quite simple yet great :) Background story is quite touching too, and his personality, lovely.

Best Female Lead - Yato Kagura from Gintama. Really, she has a unique personality. Though she can be selfish, that's one thing that is attractive, along with her attitude, caring for those close to her etc. Her strength, physical, is unique too. Fighting with an umbrella. Superhuman strength and speed. Oh and her sense of humor :D

Best Full Cast - Fullmetal Alchemist cast, in my opinion. All characters, personality wise and design wise, unique and amazing. The character involvment in the plot, and the relationships between characters is brilliant :)

Best manga overall - Kuroshitsuji by Yana Toboso. It's just wonderful. Amazing. The plot, art, characters and the setting, fantastic :) . I just get thrilled when waiting for a month after each chapter, and every arc is very interesting.

That's all I have to say right now. To be honest there are several other equally amazing choices in my mind and it was really hard to choose.
I might edit later.

May the best ones win.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire

No genre categories? I mean like sports/comedy/drama. Not to every little thing thing like neopunk, but those big three atleast.

Okay, here we go.

Best Male Lead - I nominate Kenji Endo from 20th/21st Century Boys. He is so easy to relate to, he is just like one of us. As a boy he wanted to save the world, as a teen he wanted to be a rock star and as a adult he is a manager of a franchise minimart. However, when forced to corner, he slowly yet steadily grows into a rockin' hero, only one with the strenght and support to deny villanous Friend.

Best Male Supporting Character - As much as I like Runge and L, I still nominate Wolfgang Grimmer from Monster. The man is so caring, despite his own claim that he has no feelings. Sub-conciously denies them due to childhood trauma. But perfectly feelingless person wouldn't be so nice, righteous and heroic.

Best Female Lead - I nominate Gally from GUNNM(aka. Battle Angel Alita)/GUNNM: The Last Order. Professor Ito saves the head of a beatifull female cyborg from the trash heaps. His dream was to just make her beautifull and live happily, but the stubborn lady drifts into the world of fighting and killing, muchly lead by her unknown past she has herself forgotten. The cyborgs growth as a person is splendidly told and very heart touching, and as bonus she kicks some bad guy ass pretty damn effectivly.

Best Shounen Manga - I support One Piece, but I'd like to see someone nominate HxH or FMA. Oda has done a splendid job on building a universe
and characters that just yell "Adventure!" out loud. Also very special case in Jump, as time to time you jaw drop as you notice, that he has had this moment/character done in his mind since the beginning.

Best Seinen Manga - I nominate Naoki Urasawa's Monster. The way the athmosphere builds up in this mystery is just astonishing. The web of mystery and how its slow unveiling changes the characters during their journey is spectacular. The grande finale made me shiver like crazy, and all of it is done without need to rely on supernatural plot devices. In theory, this could have really happened.

Best Villain - I support Johan Liebert from Monster. The name of the manga sound silly at first, but as the reader gets to know who is Johan, and how he became the person he is, the title makes undeniable sense. The most frightening monsters don't have jaws, claws or several limps.

Best Fight - I nominate Thorkkell's duel with Thorrfinn in Vinland Saga. It was just so awesome.

Best Couple - I nominate Rock and Revy from Black Lagoon. The japanese salaryman and crazy violent mercenary lady just have some amazing chemistry, which is on of the things which makes this series so entertaining.

Best Full Cast - I support Fullmetal Alchemist here. Not only does it have plenty of amazing characters, but well built social networks and reletions between them.

Best Artwork - I'm between Vinland Saga and Vagabond here. I'll decide later.

Best WTF Moment -
Revelation of Duval's identity in One Piece.
Totally WTF?!?! and funny as hell also.

Best new series - What counts as new? I'd like to nominate Beelzebub, but it has been running a while for now.

Best Manga Overall - The best overall manga must be something that surpasses genre and age. This is why I nominate Yotsuba&! A slice of life series, that never fails to make the reader smile. The realistic daily 'adventures' of an eccentric little girl and his family and friends are fit to reader of any age. If you do not enjoy this, your heart must be made of ice.

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Nominations:
Best Male Lead: Gatsu of Berserk (by Kentaro Miura). He is totally badass to the amount of beeing the possibly coolest character ever and has several -not too simple!- character changes over the story.
Best Male Support Character: Gauche Suede of Tegami Bachi (Letter Bee) by Hiroyuki Asada. He doesn't actually appear very often, although he is a most central character. He has a great optical design, great dreams, a sad fate and a good heart.

Best Female Lead: Seras Victora of Hellsing. An awesome fate, great optical design and a lovely character finding her way in a mad world.
Best Female Support Character: Fee of Planetes (by Makoto Yukimura). Seemingly beeing a serious, disciplinary character in the beginning, she shows other sides later; finding and enjoying beatiful moments of life (often revolving about her desired cigarettes) and, finally after questioning the constraints of adult life, gaining back the freedom of childhood and starting a rebellion against the system.

Best Shounen Manga: Tegami Bachi (Letter Bee) by Hiroyuki Asada. It's a really fantastic scenario with great artworks and cool characters and visual design. It's a little off the Shounen mainstream in regards of the design of the universe, storyline and atmosphere, making it more unique than many other Shounen.
Best Seinen Manga: Berserk (supporting Shinsatsu) by Kentaro Miura. It really uses the possibilities of Seinen very well, without overdoing them. For a monthly released Manga, it's very old already and still exeptionally good.

Best Costume Design: Tegami Bachi (Letter Bee) by Hiroyuki Asada. The winter clothes in general and Bee uniforms in specific look awesome and stylish.

Best Villain: "Nosferatu" Zodd of Berserk (by Kentaro Miura). A most impressive barbarian, his forearms are massive as a cannon barrel. His face, clothes and arms are most crude and archaic even for a medieval scenario. He's a relentless fighter and maybe the most powerful demon of Berserk. He's an absolutely wild beast.

Best Fight: Thorkell vs. Thorfinn (supporting Ustegius). Including Thorkell's famous demonstration of power and the "where is Thorfinn?"-Scene. (page reading direction is from left to right, panel direction from right to left on these images)
Best Kiss: Gatsu and Caska (Berserk)

Best Double Spread: Berserk Vol. 8 Page 190 - Gatsu vs Griffith

Best Couple: Hachimiki and Tanabe of Planetes (by Makoto Yukimura). Coming together suddenly and unexpected, they're a romantic, young and playful couple with big hopes and dreams nonetheless. In all of this, I think that the way they came together was extraordinarily low on cliche and pathos, which often weaken love stories. Also, it's neither too much nor too less emotional.

Best plot-twist: The Eclipse in Berserk (by Kentaro Miura).
In a moment of madness, the previously tortured and crippled (his muscles are degenerated, his tendons and tongue cut) Griffith pushes the horses of the carriage he's been lying on after beeing rescued, and falls into a river. His friends of his mercenary troup follow to save him. In the river he finds a long lost trinket, which has been "waiting" for this moment, and summons a living hell of demons. The four almost allmighty "God Hand" appear on top of this and declare Griffith to be the long awaited fifth God Hand. He is beeing transformed into one of them, while his old comrades and friends are beeing slaugthered by the demons as a sacrifice for Griffith's rebirth. Griffith accepts this, because he already accepted that sacrifices were necessary to accomplish his dreams and aims of an own kingdom.

Gatsu, who is the strongest fighter amongst the mercenary and Griffith's closest friend, enters a berserk rage when he sees his friends beeing slaugthered and Griffith taken by the demons and slays dozens of demons. Apart from him, only his girlfriend Caska -who was unable to decide between her love for Gatsu and Griffith- survives, because another mercenary gives his life to safe her for a moment.

When Griffith is fully transformed and now is a powerful beeing, the demons capture Gatsu and Caska and Griffith rapes the woman in front of Gatsu's eyes, who, still raging, slashes on the demon holding his arm until his sword breaks, and then cuts off his own arm with the broken sword, only to be captured again and loosing an eye.

Both Gatsu and Caska survive, but Caska loses her mind after the events. The overall twist:
-Before: Griffith is stripped of all his previous power, glory and ambitions, while Gatsu and Caska finally thought to have found their places in life and within the mercenary troups, who follow them and feel ready for a new life.
-After: Griffith is a godlike beeing, Gatsu lost everything of value to him, Caska effectively doesn't exist anymore, the mercenary army is dead; The story has a full reset.
Best WTF-Moment: Thorkell and Willibald - "Whichever created Liquor" (Vinland Saga)

Best Manga Overall: Berserk (supporting Shinsatsu) by Kentaro Miura. Stunning arts, great characters, an epic but unpredictable story and using the possibilities of Seinen Genre over Shounen to their best.

Last edited:

ashher

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh

You know what, i don't think the two male leads that are leading so far are really worth it. Gutts is almost a flawless character...not in the sense that he is perfect, but in the sense that he is always doing his things, even the things that should've been revolting, in a crowd pleasing way. For example, i remember him using a girl as hostage to defeat his father-demon early in the series. The elf sounded disgusted with the tech, but did the reader feel the same? Did you feel the same? Honestly we all felt that he is being 'badass'. This is the case with almost everything he did...he almost always inspires awe and admiration, and almost nothing else. I believe that the writer needs to let his hero do things at times that truly makes the reader feel dislike, disappointment, pity or look down upon that character. Musashi is much better in this regard...at times he annoys, disappoints, makes me want to shake him from his cowardice, or his other flaws. You truly dislike him at those times, and so those flaws are real flaws. However the problem with him is the general problem of Vagabod...that the writer very often likes to 'tell' philosophy instead of 'show'...the amount of self-analysis that Musashi and other characters do leave little room for any interpretation from the readers. A good read should leave scope for different meaning/interpretation/effect, varying from reader to reader.

Judging from these points of view: naruto, light and lelouch(in the CG anime, i haven't read the manga)...are better. I would've nominated Lelouch, but i need to read the manga 1st to be sure if he is the same in manga as well.

Last edited:

Newkerzy

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia

I vote for the Namikaze (Uzumaki) family color spread as Best Color spread. (Naruto)

I vote for EdxWinry (FMA) as Best couple. You just can't hate them & their interactions. They even became canon at the end. Hell, Ed's proposal was awarded as the best line for proposing in Japan.

I also nominate Royai (RoyxRiza) of FMA as Best couple. I would've picked Kakashix Hanare from Naruto fillers (I mean, c'mon Kishi!!! cut the guy some slack, will ya!!??) but I decided to go for Royai since it's more established.

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania

@ashher

Honestly when I saw that scene, I thought...this is one crazy manga:D...but Gutts has gone through such changes...he was never flawless, and almost his entire life he was in the shadow Griffith...so he really worked for everything we see in the latest chapters, and he's been through a lot of hardships...the strength and determination of his character, and the sheer force of his appearance make him one of the best candidates for Best Male Lead...emphasis on the word Lead

ashher

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh

@Benelori its not that i doubt the qualities in Gutts to be liked, its the lack of the features that i can dislike in him is what bothers me. But your right that he is the LEAD that drives this manga. However so is lelouch for Code Geass, and light for death note...

Xman

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada

Best Male Lead
Gutts from Berserk, he just don't give crap, he just want to kill Griffith and get done with the insanity that he is living.

Best Male Supporting Character
Black Star from Soul Eater, this is the kind of best friend you need, out-going, always with you on whenever you want to do.

Best Female Lead
Haruko Haruhara from FLCL, Can I have a GF like her pleases? out-going, crazy about Tasuku "Naota's Big Brother"

Best Shounen Manga:
One Piece, well, as a fan boy, and 2nd, the best selling shounen so far. story dynamic is smooth, the Mangaka knows where he is going and knows how to go from the point he is at pretty good, the character isn't that much nor too few, characters always kept in mind, no matter how minor they are, I can say the Mangka is really experienced and well aware of character development.

Best Seinen Manga:
Berserk, 21 years of awesomeness, story is just epic, art is insanely and beyond awesome. I swear I don't have the words to describe it.

Best Hairstyling:
Zetsubou Sensei, I would kill to get a hair like that. simple, not that complicated and pretty awesome.

Best Costume Design
Berserk Armor, "when the helm is on"

Best Villain:
Griffith, he sacrificed his friends, the hawks, people who grew up with and loved. just for his own sake and his kingdom without even thinking twice.

Best Fight
This is pretty hard to decide to be honest, I'm between fights from Berserk, Gantz, One Piece, Soul Eater and Hellsing

I would go with Alucard vs Anderson, the last fight. both of them went to the last straw and then Alucard got really pissed off about what Anderson did at the end. I don't want to jump with details in case of spoilers

Best Double-Spread
1st time Gutts used Berserk Armor and came out of that monster
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090917202531/berserk/images/a/a5/Berserk_v26_201.jpg

Best Couple
Black Star and Tsubaki Nakatsuka, the unique about those couple, even thought it seems they don't fully understand each and both of them has a totally different personality, they work together perfectly.

Best Full Cast
Soul Eater, every character has a unique aspect in personality and fighting style. and they work as a huge team awesomely.

Best Artwork
Berserk, the details that he spend time working with is astonishing, the buildings, the places, the fields, everything he think of he design it with passion.

Best WTF Moment
One Piece: Ace son of Gold D. Roger, I've gone blank about that for a whole week.

Best plot-twist
Berserk Chapter 290,
Hellhound "Gutts Inner Demon" promising Gutts to get him where it hurts the most when he let his guard down someday. the double-page got me jizzed.

Best new series
Ao no Exorcist, great plot, characters, the basic idea is used up but the way the mangka presented was really great, and they've announced the anime to be made, really looking forward to it

Best Manga Overall
One Piece, read Best Shounen