The MangaHelpers Manga Awards Discussion Thread | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

The MangaHelpers Manga Awards Discussion Thread

Newkerzy

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Re: The MangaHelpers Manga Awards

Err... you might wanna edit Lucy's category. She's not a supporting character. She's the female lead.

Oh yeah, I'd also like to nominate Naruto chapter 436 as Best Chapter. It totally changed the outlook of the world to a lot of fans and sparked one of the best debates ever in MH history.

Last edited:

CBlitz

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States

Best Male Lead

Guts from Berserk!

Best Male Supporting Character: [mod=HegemonKhan]L from Death Note is his nomination choice[/mod]

Does Akiyama from Liar Game count as a supporting character? If not, L from Death Note (but isn't he a main character as well?)

[mod=HegemonKhan]Akiyama is considered a Lead Character, so your nomination is L from Death Note, as he is considered a supporting character[/mod]

Best Female Lead

also nominating Gally/Alita from GUNNM, very awesome lead

Best Female Supporting Character

Alice from Pandora Hearts!

Best Shoujo Manga

Shinshi Doumei Cross/The Gentleman's Alliance Cross

Best Shounen Manga

Narutooooooooo :p

Best Josei Manga

Nodame Cantabile, can't think of a better one

Best Seinen Manga

Berserk, no other answer can possibly be right

Best Hairstyling
Yu-Gi-Oh!

....they got some wicked hair >__>

Best Costume Design
Otoyomegatari

it doesn't get much more elaborate and amazing than this

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/28/otoyomegatarichapter101.png
http://img574.imageshack.us/img574/1610/otoyomegatarichapter102.png

Best Villain
Johann Liebert from Monster

amazing, amazing villain. Easily the best

Best Fight

Naruto, Naruto vs. Pain :p

Best Color Page

Aria -...forgot the chapter >_>
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/7192/aria4.jpg

Best Chapter

Naruto Chapter 430

Best Couple

Ed & Winry from Fullmetal Alchemist

Best Full Cast

Fullmetal Alchemist (6 votes)

Best Artwork

Umineko Episode 3: Banquet of the Golden Witch by Natsumi Kei (the other episodes are done by different artists and aren't nearly as well drawn)

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/9554/22240539.png
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/9249/3031n.png
http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/1849/85510775.png
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/6805/18218041.png
http://img574.imageshack.us/img574/5893/75228745.png
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/3552/30305052.png
http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/5918/86357515.png

Best WTF Moment
Thorkell and Willibald - "Whichever created Liquor" (Vinland Saga)

Best plot-twist
Berserk – The Eclipse

Best Manga Overall

Berserk of course

Last edited by a moderator:

predsfan

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

I probably don't read as much manga as the rest of you, but anyway here goes (if it's not listed, it means I couldn't be bothered to find page/chapter or I just don't care about the category):

Best Male Lead
Goku from Dragonball - honestly, he's the prototype for the modern shounen protagonist.

Best Shounen Manga
One Piece - I'm sure it's already been stated somewhere

Best Double Spread
Nurarihyon No Mago ch. 86 http://www.mangareader.net/456-41895-10/nurarihyon-no-mago/chapter-86.html - I just really like how badass a random fodder is made to look in this page.

Best Couple
Ko and Aoba from Cross Game - As opposed to some on the list, they are an actual couple and Adachi does a wonderful job building their relationship. Plus it would be a shame for Adachi not to get a single mention in Manga awards

Best Full Cast
One Piece - obvious answer is obvious, plus skeleton with an afro, 'nuff said.

Best Art
Nurarihyon no Mago - see double spread above. I wasn't going to nominate this b/c I'm sure there are seinen out there that have way better artwork, but I don't read much seinen and of the few mangas I do read Mago has the most unique and interesting art of them. A mix of old time Japanese art and normal manga.

Best WTF Moment
I'll second Duval's reveal in One Piece b/c seriously WTF Oda? There's no way anyone could have predicted that, plus :rofl.

Best Manga Overall
One Piece - it is my favorite manga afterall :p.

Sorata

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Portugal

BEST MALE LEAD
Onizuka Eiikichi from Great Teacher Onizuka, this one was really tough for me, Kenshiro, Guts, Luffy, Sakuragi Hanamichi, Goku and many others are great main characters, but Onizuka is the type that can erase the line between shonen and seinen, the very best imo.

Best Male Supporting Character
Hiruma Youichi from Eyeshield 21, he´s not one of my favorites, but i have to admit, this guy is probably the greatest manga character i have ever seen in the 400 manga i have readen so far, because of that my vote goes to him.

Best Female Lead
I normally find the female main characters boring, so i´m going with one from a very old manga: Lum from Urusei Yatsura, she´s my second favorite female character and my favorite main female character.

In here i´m going with my all time favorite female character: Jegal Mihyang from Change Guy, she´s just awesome, i feel in love with her lol.

Best Shoujo Manga
My vote goes to Kimi no Todoke, it´s original and have 2 awesome main characters.

Best Shounen Manga
One Piece takes this one easily, i read tons of shonen, specially the battle ones and One Piece is in a league of his own, GTO, Slam Dunk and Dragon Ball are awesome too but One Piece is just too much.

Best Josei Manga
I only read 3, so my vote goes to Kimi wa Petto, the relationship between both characters is very peculiar.

Best Seinen Manga
This one goes to Berserk, the gap here is even bigger than the one in the shonen category, there are tons of awesome seinen, but Berserk is imo the god of mangas, just perfect in every way, no match at all.

Best Hairstyling
Yu-Gi-Oh, the hairs in this manga turned some characters into the epitome of awesome: Kaiba Seto, Marik Ishtar and Ryo Bakura are a great example of that.

Best Costume Design
I go with Worst, i love deliquents and the outfits this guys have are just too cool to let pass.

Best Villain
Yami Marik Ishtar from Yu-Gi-Oh!, the guy is just a psycho murderer, but he´s so cool and confident that most people just find him awesome, my vote goes for him.

Best Fight
I had a hard time choosing between Takamura vs Hawk from Hajime no Ippo and Shin Jin-Ho vs Kwon Shin from Change Guy, but my vote goes to Takamura vs Hawk, there´s no fight that involved me so much as this one, the greatest fight in manga imo.

Best Color Page
The perfect player from Eyeshield 21: http://www.mangareader.net/134-6992-3/eyeshield-21/chapter-217.html

Best Double-Spread
Sakuragi and Rukawa claping hands from Slam Dunk: http://www.mangareader.net/119-5958-3/slam-dunk/chapter-276.html

Best Chapter
One Piece chapter 485 - Member of the Strawhat crew: Pirate Hunter Zoro: http://www.mangareader.net/103-2592-1/one-piece/chapter-485.html , this chapter is so emotional and strong, i have no words to describe how awesome it is.

Best Couple
Lum and Moroboshi Ataru from Urusei Yatsura, i just love the both o them, really a great couple.

Best Full Cast
Coin toss between One Piece and Eyeshield 21, but i´m gonna go with Eyeshield 21, so many great characters and you end up caring for most of them, and that´s something very hard to acomplish in a manga.

Best Artwork
Berserk gets my vote, but Vagabond, 20th Century Boys and Tenjou Tenge are great too.

Best WTF Moment
The true identity of Duval in One Piece, lolol, no one saw that one coming.

Best plot-twist
The identity of Ace´s father and White Beards true intentions towards Ace´s future in One Piece.

Best new series
This one is hard, i haven´t seen any great manga lately, but if we talk about the last 2 years i give my vote to Beelzebub.

Best Manga Overall
My vote goes to Berserk, just read my explanation in the best seinen section.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden

Best Seinen Manga: Vinland Saga. Just like for the Artwork category, this was a close one between Vagabond and Vinland Saga for me. Both series are visually incredible and engaging story-wise, and tied in most aspects, so I just had to go with the one I personally liked more. A series about vikings just feels more refreshing than one about samurai, even if it's easily the best samurai manga out there.

Best Couple: I support Ed x Winry from Fullmetal Alchemist. Not the typical lovey-dovey relationship. This is the one that, in any manga, felt the most real to me. I really believed the romance between these two.

Best Shoujo: Nana. This is borderline josei I guess, but it's serialized in a shoujo magazine so... Anyway, while this one has lost its appeal to me somewhat as the series has progressed, it's still the shoujo manga I've followed the longest and actually enjoyed (guilty pleasures ftw!). The story, though cliché at points, is strangely gripping. I like a lot of the characters and the art is pretty as well. This was a pretty easy choice since I don't read much shojo, but all the more reason it should get my vote.

Best Cast: Fullmetal Alchemist, seconded.

p1xel

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Poland

Best Male Lead-Yoshina Ageha. Nice character development in a nice manga.
Best Male Supporting Character-L from Death Note. Smartest character i`ve seen. Niizuma Eiji was close:P
Best Female Lead-Clare from Claymore. Nice character, and I don`t know other^^ Beacuse most shonen lead characters are male...
Best Shonen Manga-One Piece. Masterpiece. FMA also was awesome,but OP delivers an awesome adventure.

juUnior

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Poland

Best Male Lead
Onizuka Eiikichi from Great Teacher Onizuka - just for being the badass of the badass lead characters, for his humour and seriousness, and for being so awesome 'teacher' xD

Best Male Supporting Character
Gaara from Naruto - just for the sake of being the biggest fan of Gaara I put a vote for him in this category <even though I'm not sure whether he's a REAL supporting character in this case :p>

Best Female Lead
Seras Victora from Hellsing - she's a vampire, she appears in one of my favourites manga, she's blonde and she's "connected" to Alucard, what else to say? xD

Itsuki Akiba from I"s - she's a fantastic girl, she was portrayed so awesomely by Katsura that at some point I was really voting for her <if you know what I mean xd>

Best Shounen Manga
Naruto - there may have been better choices out there like OP or DB, but Naruto is the one which brings much more fun to me than any other fighting shounen. And only here is the best of the best, Gaara <3

Best Seinen Manga
Berserk - for brutality, gore, sex, violence, and so on. Though.. I didn't read too much of seinens xP

Best Costume Design
I"s - I love all of them, especially those which the main protagonist - Seto - wears. They are so good that at some point I tried to mimic his clothes, for real.

Best Villain
Freeza from Dragonball - the epitome of being the best badass of the villains out there. Every gesture, monologue or power is cool in him <3

Best Fight
Bleach
Kurosaki Ichigo vs Kuchiki Byakuya from Bleach - their 3rd and final encounter, the best fight in this manga for me.
<though I wanted to put sth from Naruto, I picked sth from Bleach just for the sake of it, was much simplier :p>

Best Color Page
Naruto / chapter 377 - I love the way it was drawn and coloured by Kishi. Its so unique, so different and yet beautiful:
http://www.mangafox.com/manga/naruto/v41/c377/2.html

Best Double-Spread
Naruto - there are many here, but I put chosen sth really fast with Gaara xd

Best Couple
Shoot! - Toshi x Kasumi - I just love them when they are together, and how Toshi thinks about her, and so on and so forth <3

Best Full Cast
Naruto - its not only about great characters, its also about Gaara in the ranks of those great characters xDXDXD

Best Artwork
I"s - Masakazu Katsura is for me god of artwork and drawing mangas so "real".

Best WTF Moment
Bleach
Aizen changing forms in Bleach
- just because it was out for place from some time to some time <without spoilers> Too much even for me xd

Best plot-twist
Bleach with
Aizen revealed as villain in Bleach
- its one of those elements of this manga which is uber awesome.

Best Manga Overall
I"s - its masterpiece, the best non-fighting shounen out there, the best artwork and the best humour, and the best characters, and the best suspense, and.. etc. <3

Last edited:

Newkerzy

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia

Is it okay for me to vote for a category that I've already nominated??

For example: I nominate A but later on I decided to vote for B. But does my nomination get to keep the nomination??

Sama_al_Azraq

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia

Best Male Lead: Yoshina Ageha from Psyren

Best Male Supporting Character: Thorkell from Vinland Saga

Best Female Lead: Yotsuba from Yotsubato!

Best Female Supporting Character: Oikawa Tsurara (Yuki-onna) from Nurarihyon no Mago

Best Shounen Manga: Shingeki no Kyojin

Best Shoujo Manga: Kimi ni Todoke

Best Seinen Manga: Imuri

Best Josei Manga: Landreaall

Best Costume Design: Otoyomegatari

Best Plot-twist : Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai
Kanon got stabbed right after she was confirmed to possess a goddess

Best New Series: Oumagadoki Doubutsuen

Best Manga Overall: One Piece

saladesu

in absentia
Reaction score
Country
Singapore

Is it okay for me to vote for a category that I've already nominated??

For example: I nominate A but later on I decided to vote for B. But does my nomination get to keep the nomination??
No, your original nomination will be annulled. This is because votes and nominations in this round are essentially the same thing. The votes are just there so people don't have to repeat the description and find the links etc, and just have to say "seconded" :amuse

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania

!!When posting a nomination for Best new series, please check the date when that said series started.

For a nomination to be accepted for this category, the start date must be 2010. So titles like Beelzebub(february 2009), Bakuman(august, 2008), etc...won't be counted, even though they are relatively new series

Last edited:

saladesu

in absentia
Reaction score
Country
Singapore

Just to add to bene's post, you can always check the start date of a manga at MyAnimeList or MangaUpdates, so please do that before posting your nominations for Best New Series.

For those of you who had earlier nominated series such as Ao no Exorcist, Beelzebub and Bakuman, you may like to edit your earlier nominations. You can do so by editing your earlier post then posting again to alert us to the change :)

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
Reaction score
Country
Romania

Best Hairstyle:it's a hard choice here, but I will just show my support for Bleach for now...Ichigo's changing hairstyles were cool, along with Byakuya's, not to mention Orihime after timeskip:hurr
Best Costume Design:I never really payed attention to this, but the one thing I noticed was the Kubo was doing these doublespreads with his characters dressed up in real life clothes...if that counts then I nominate Bleach for this category as well

Nii

First Shield
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Germany

He would make an incredible nominee for the MH Manga awards :cool:, but since he is one the protagonists of Liar Game you can’t nominate him for the best male supporting character category. Sorry. :( But you can nominate other character for that award. :)
I thought so but it was worth a try :)

I originally nominated this:

Akiyama from Liar Game for Best Male Supporting Character

but, now I want to change it to this:

Shikamaru Nara from "Naruto". For the same reasons I voted for Akiyama.

[mod=HegemonKhan]It's been changed and added[/mod]

[mod=HegemonKhan]His final nomination after many changes, is Askeladd from Vinland Saga[/mod]

Best Couple: My vote goes to Saiko x Azuki from "Bakuman". Such a old-fashioned but pure love is really rare these days, that's why I support them :worship

Best Full Cast: Fullmetal Alchemist, just because every character is kind of loveable and unique.

Best Artwork: As Bleach is already mentioned, my vote goes to Katekyo Hitman Reborn. Amano's drawing style is awesome :hurr

Best WTF Moment: From "Vinland Saga", when
Askeladd beheaded King Sweyn

Best Plot-Twist: [mod=HegemonKhan]His final nomination is the Vinland Saga one[/mod]

I second juunior's nomination,
Aizen revealed as villain was completely unexpected and epic at the same time.

Best new series: Enigma, because it looks really promising. It has some nice art and the story's good so far + it's not just the typical shounen action.

Best Manga Overall: Well, tbh it's Berserk for me but it already has two votes and there are other very good mangas out there. It's very hard to decide for one because they all have their strong points and shortcomings. That's why I want to nominate Death Note, it's really unique, epic and well thought-out.

ashher

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh

Well one good thing that this award contest is doing to me personall is that i am finally getting charged up to read the mangas that i've been meaning to for a long time :p. Few questions for the veterans here: 1) was the Code Geass manga written before the anime, or was it adopted from the Anime? 2) How much different is the Code Geass manga from the anime? I mean different enough to downgrade Lelouch's character from what it was in the anime(like the case of Spike from Cowboy Bebop) and was the manga ending less amazing(meaning ANYTHING different in this case) than the anime season 2 ending? 3) was the Neon Genesis Evangelion manga SIGNIFICANTLY different from anime ?(for clarification Monster anime and manga would be what i call NOT significantly different) 4) Is anyone up to date with Shamo here so that he/she can tell me whether the Lead, Narushima is as amazing as he was in the beginning?

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
Reaction score
Country
Romania

Well one good thing that this award contest is doing to me personall is that i am finally getting charged up to read the mangas that i've been meaning to for a long time :p. Few questions for the veterans here: 1) was the Code Geass manga written before the anime, or was it adopted from the Anime? 2) How much different is the Code Geass manga from the anime? I mean different enough to downgrade Lelouch's character from what it was in the anime(like the case of Spike from Cowboy Bebop) and was the manga ending less amazing(meaning ANYTHING different in this case) than the anime season 2 ending? 3) was the Neon Genesis Evangelion manga SIGNIFICANTLY different from anime ?(for clarification Monster anime and manga would be what i call NOT significantly different) 4) Is anyone up to date with Shamo here so that he/she can tell me whether the Lead, Narushima is as amazing as he was in the beginning?
I can tell you about Code Geass...the anime is the original story, the manga are just like fillers...basically alternate stories, which could even have elements that are not existent in the anime...

And I agree about the first sentences...there are a lot of titles here, and some of them are highlighted by the number of nominations...I will certainly think again and try rereading some of the series, but I'm looking forward to the seinen categories...

I'm wondering...does anyone think that the popularity of Berserk should've brought up Griffith's popularity as villain, or maybe as Femto?

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden

Best WTF Moment: From "Vinland Saga", when
Askeladd beheaded King Sweyn
I would like to not second this vote, but nominate this particular moment for the category "Best Plot Twist" instead, in which I find it fits better. :) I was seriously gasping loudly when it happened.

[mod=HegemonKhan]I added this for the Best Plot Twist[/mod]

Best WTF Moment:
For this one, I second the revealing of Duval's identity in One Piece. I was literally yelling "WHAT THE F---" when reading it, while gasping for air from laughing so much. :D

Best Costume Design: My vote goes for Tegami Bachi for this one. The clothes they wear in this series always looked friggin' awesome. I kept thinking "I'd totally be a Letter Bee if it meant I'd get to wear clothes like that!".

Also, I would like to change my vote for Best Male Lead:

I originally seconded the nomination of Musashi Miyamoto from Vagabond. I'd instead like to nominate Vash the Stampede from Trigun.

[mod=HegemonKhan]it's been changed and added[/mod]

This character rocks on so many levels. He's one of the most goofy and hilarious characters out there, yet he manages to also pull of being one of the coolest. He puts on a humorous attitude most of the time to lessen suspicions of him actually being the vicious killer his reputation speaks of. However, when he knows he has to (especially when protecting people), he does get serious and that's when the kickass side of him is revealed. Even in the most heated of moments, though, he makes sure he never kills anyone. And the fact that he so easily could, but is too good-hearted to actually do it, makes him even more awesome.

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France

About the color spread, I would like to nominate chapter 516 from One Piece. When I did a thread on that topic in the one piece forum I think, it took the leads and I agree with everyone.

Can we nominate the groggy ring of One Piece for best fight ? I just love this battle and since so much people hate this arc, I would really enjoy if it has some votes.

Concerning the vote, my only other one is for the best double spread. For the others it would be unfair since I don't know all of them
So my vote goes to Oyasumi Punpun, I don't know this serie but I love this spread (Thanks Mr Prince)

Otherwise, my best manga of all time would be Haruka-na machi e from Jirō Taniguchi since in just 2 volumes, you get a perfect story.

Nii

First Shield
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Germany

I would like to not second this vote, but nominate this particular moment for the category "Best Plot Twist" instead, in which I find it fits better. :) I was seriously gasping loudly when it happened.
You have a point there. It would fit with the Best Plot Twist as well, but when I read it, "wtf" was going through my head and that's why I nominated it for this category
(and because I don't think that killing off Askeladd was an awesome plot-twist).
That's if this "wtf" moment isn't bound to be a funny/hilarious moment but also can be something serious. Clarification by one of the mods would be appreciated :)