Others - The Nintendo Switch Thread | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Others The Nintendo Switch Thread

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
:rofl
oh my god @Hardy , even nintendo consider the Wii U as a failure, nobody bought that. just sell it and have hardy buy you a switch :p
It's a fantastic console and very easy to mod, with it you can play anything from nintendo ever '-'/

It was mostly awful marketing and Nintendo being terrible to worth with for 3rd parties, something they've changed now. The games are so good that 50 % of the switch "exclusive" library are Wii U exclusives '-'

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
So good and so few...
They aren't, really. What doomed the Wii U, as I said, was marketing choices and 3rd party support. It had a really good 1st party line-up (not in the first year, which is a bit part of "marketing" I guess).

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
As I said, to me the number of good games available for the console was quite limited compared to others.
You can go ahead and share a link of well received first party games to support said claim '-'/
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
https://gematsu.com/exclusives/wii-u

For reference, check how it's almost 100 % red or orange. Then move to the Xbox One, a direct competitor. In terms of exclusives the Wii U was on pair with the PS4 (or a bit better/worse depending on your taste) that was not a factor on the console failing.

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
The N64 had a ton of loved party games o.o
The 3DS has a gigantic library of appealing games of all kinds. I'm not complaining solely about party games, those wouldn't be the ones I'd invest in anyway.

And af caus Nintendo always has a good amount of exclusives '-' Milking Mario and Pokemon is profitable. You should have noticed I compared the Wii U with other gens, not competitors.

GrySun

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Japan
I enjoyed plenty of different Party-like games on the WiiU. Granted, some were Wii games, but still played a ton of party games with friends on WiiU. Compared to that the Switch actually still has less games and less options :grumble But, the Switch had some more significant releases lately with Mario Party, and will have more with Smash soon. So it‘s getting there slowly..

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
The N64 had a ton of loved party games o.o
And lost pathetically against the ps1 and became number 2 in a market they had almost monopolised, amazing.

Nintendo always made awful choices, people just have rose tinted glasses and think the 64 and the gamecube were amazing shit when in reality they both kept fucking nintendo in the ass. The Wii U was more of the same. It had great fun exclusives but little else to offer (which I don't mind as the market has changed and pc gaming is bigger than ever and only growing).

The argument I'm making is that I hardly see the point in buying a console to play the latest FIFA or CoD when you can buy those on Steam that you can easily boot on any pc (that is a cheaper and more powerful option than any console) for a third of the price if you want them (a more casual or... Rich audience surely doesn't care though). Same with games like the Witcher (the price difference being even more considerable for us southamericans). This wasn't possible a decade and a half ago, now it is. That part of the library is absolutely irrelevant to me.

To Nintendo's merit, they seem to finally have understood how casual gaming works and how big it is, and are trying to capitalise on it (for the most part, for instance pokemon is getting more casual every day). I am not using casual as a derogatory btw, just in case...

Edit: in any case, this is the switch thread, sorry for going very offtopic. I like the idea of the Nvidia Shield console really, but the current library doesn't appeal me at all at the moment for the reasons I've given. Pretty unfair to judge this early however.

Last edited:

scav

MH's Most Passionate Member
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
not sure why @Hardy is hellbend on defending the Wii U. the reason it didn't work is because that console had no appeal.
1st most of the wii users didn't upgrade for a Wii U, if you look at the wii games that sold the most beside couple of mario games, the majority of games sold by the wii are :wii sports (most sold game on wii by far, 87millions), wii sport resort, wii play, wii fit, wii fit plus and such. That should tell you about what kind of audience bought the wii and what appealed them with the wii. Yeah they have wii sport on the Wii U but why would they buy another hardward for a game that is already basically the same as what they already have and they're surely already bored of those games.On the other side PS3 users upgraded to the PS4 and Xbox 360 users to the Xb1
2nd compared to his competitor Wii U is just meh. while sony was preparing the PS4(2013) and microsoft the xbox one(2013), nintendo launched the Wii U(2012). For gamers that's a joke, what will you take between the PS4,XB1 and the Wii U? Only now with the Switch that they have a hardward that is comparable to the PS4 and the XB1, that show how far behind Nintendo was, that console didn't appeal to gamers. Exclus turn over to exclus, what console doesnt have exclus? they gave what seemed like a small upgrade to the wii while people were expecting a new gen.
3rd you mention that many of the Switch exclus are Wii U port. Once again that's because nobody bought the Wii U so they're porting the best games. And that's why games like zelda and mario kart are selling like candies after being ported to the switch and still sold at full price. People wouldn't buy those games on the switch at full price if they already had them on the Wii U.
4th you're right, the marketing was poor. but once again it didnt matter gamers were aware of the Wii U but it seriously can't be compared to the PS4 or the XB1 so it was brushed aside.

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
Poopie you summarized what we talked about on WhatsApp '-' Won't repeat everything I said there. Imo the Wii U lack games, I'm not comparing it with its competitors, I simply felt I had little to invest on and I feel the switch will be the same. Up until now, it doesn't call my attention.

scav

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
The argument I'm making is that I hardly see the point in buying a console to play the latest FIFA or CoD when you can buy those on Steam that you can easily boot on any pc (that is a cheaper and more powerful option than any console) for a third of the price if you want them (a more casual or... Rich audience surely doesn't care though). Same with games like the Witcher (the price difference being even more considerable for us southamericans). This wasn't possible a decade and a half ago, now it is. That part of the library is absolutely irrelevant to me.
not gonna dive into the meaningless and endless debate of Console vs PC gaming, but why can't you just understand that some people prefer playing on consoles than on PC :cookiehand
I simply felt I had little to invest on and I feel the switch will be the same
you have 2 kind of games on a console: the exclus made to encourage hardware sales and the others games (which represent the majority). Switch is already a huge success and sold more than the GameCube and if it's selling major publishers will releases their games on it. Publishers weren't interested in the Wii U (it didn't sell and the hardware was lacking), that's why you don't have many good games on it beside the exclus and now Publishers are coming back due to the switch success. That's why you have a big waves of PS4/XB1/PC games being ported on the switch recently such as monsters hunters, diablo eternal, rocket league, elder scroll, doom, darksouls etc... so you're already wrong saying the switch gonna be the same than the Wii U. Beside games that require a lot from the hardware and can't be compressed like RDR2, expect most of the games released on PS4 and XB1 to be also released on Switch

Last edited:

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
not sure why @Hardy is hellbend on defending the Wii U. the reason it didn't work is because that console had no appeal.
1st most of the wii users didn't upgrade for a Wii U, if you look at the wii games that sold the most beside couple of mario games, the majority of games sold by the wii are :wii sports (most sold game on wii by far, 87millions), wii sport resort, wii play, wii fit, wii fit plus and such. That should tell you about what kind of audience bought the wii and what appealed them with the wii. Yeah they have wii sport on the Wii U but why would they buy another hardward for a game that is already basically the same as what they already have and they're surely already bored of those games.On the other side PS3 users upgraded to the PS4 and Xbox 360 users to the Xb1
2nd compared to his competitor Wii U is just meh. while sony was preparing the PS4(2013) and microsoft the xbox one(2013), nintendo launched the Wii U(2012). For gamers that's a joke, what will you take between the PS4,XB1 and the Wii U? Only now with the Switch that they have a hardward that is comparable to the PS4 and the XB1, that show how far behind Nintendo was, that console didn't appeal to gamers. Exclus turn over to exclus, what console doesnt have exclus? they gave what seemed like a small upgrade to the wii while people were expecting a new gen.
3rd you mention that many of the Switch exclus are Wii U port. Once again that's because nobody bought the Wii U so they're porting the best games. And that's why games like zelda and mario kart are selling like candies after being ported to the switch and still sold at full price. People wouldn't buy those games on the switch at full price if they already had them on the Wii U.
4th you're right, the marketing was poor. but once again it didnt matter gamers were aware of the Wii U but it seriously can't be compared to the PS4 or the XB1 so it was brushed aside.
1 is part of marketing.

2 is subjective as hell, and the switch will be behind the "ps5" as much as the wii u was to the ps4 (actually, more, it currently CANNOT compete with consoles from a generation before to the point that games have to be downgraded to run on the switch), what's your point?

3 is not a point, doesn't invalidate anything I said either.

4 ik I'm right.
not gonna dive into the meaningless and endless debate of Console vs PC gaming, but why can't you just understand that some people prefer playing on consoles than on PC :cookiehand
No point in turning it into console vs pc as pc always wins, yeah.
--- Double Post Merged, ---
Beside games that require a lot from the hardware and can't be compressed like RDR2, expect most of the games released on PS4 and XB1 to be also released on Switch
Downgraded as it cannot compete with the power of old consoles, yeah.

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
That's why you have a big waves of PS4/XB1/PC games being ported on the switch recently such as monsters hunters, diablo eternal, rocket league, elder scroll, doom, darksouls etc... so you're already wrong saying the switch gonna be the same than the Wii U.
If those are the extra games that the Swtich is getting, then I'll stick to the computer instead. I'm not like you, I don't have a preference of consoles over computer. So yeah, I don't need a new machine to run those @.@

scav

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
1 is part of marketing.

2 is subjective as hell, and the switch will be behind the "ps5" as much as the wii u was to the ps4 (actually, more, it currently CANNOT compete with consoles from a generation before to the point that games have to be downgraded to run on the switch), what's your point?

3 is not a point, doesn't invalidate anything I said either.

4 ik I'm right.

No point in turning it into console vs pc as pc always wins, yeah.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Downgraded as it cannot compete with the power of old consoles, yeah.
marketing have nothing to do with lack of appeal

ps5 wasn't released one year after the switch, if the ps5 was out right now do you think people would still buy switch? i dont expect the next gen til 2020 at least

can't argue with biased and irrational people :errr

rather than having a top hardware they choose one that allow you to travel with and to switch between Docked and handheld mode. that's part of the switch appeal, thinking about buying rocket league on it despite the fact that i already have it on XB1 just to be able to play it on handheld. The problem is the switch capacity is 32gb, so games have to be compressed before being ported. It's fine for most games but a 107GB game like RDR 2 can never be compressed for the switch. that being said they announced a new Switch for 2019

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
If those are the extra games that the Swtich is getting, then I'll stick to the computer instead. I'm not like you, I don't have a preference of consoles over computer. So yeah, I don't need a new machine to run those @.@
The thing is, sooner than later nintendo nintendo will cease working on the 3ds (gladly) and focus only on the switch and the less costly mobile gaming market. The switch is an attractive and easy to work with piece of hardware (as it's literally just an nvidia shield) even if not powerful. With that, all the series that had been exclusive to handheld systems (pokemon, smt, recently fire emblem, etc) will be developed for the switch, making the library bigger and more attractive.

Not yet the case, however.

scav

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
i mentioned those because you seemed to be focused on exclus and nintendo is doing well on that side so i thought the lack of games you mentioned come from those others games.

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
The thing is, sooner than later nintendo nintendo will cease working on the 3ds (gladly) and focus only on the switch and the less costly mobile gaming market. The switch is an attractive and easy to work with piece of hardware (as it's literally just an nvidia shield) even if not powerful. With that, all the series that had been exclusive to handheld systems (pokemon, smt, recently fire emblem, etc) will be developed for the switch, making the library bigger and more attractive.

Not yet the case, however.
That's why I wrote "up until now" before "it doesn't call my attention" '-'
i mentioned those because you seemed to be focused on exclus and nintendo is doing well on that side so i thought the lack of games you mentioned come from those others games.
It's the overall. That's a part, yeah, but a bit of exclusives + what I get on steam alone won't charm me. Let's see if they'll indeed also move things we currently have on the DS to the Swtich and I'll also wait to see if the overall game library in the Switch will indeed become remarkable.

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
marketing have nothing to do with lack of appeal

ps5 wasn't released one year after the switch, if the ps5 was out right now do you think people would still buy switch? i dont expect the next gen til 2020 at least

can't argue with biased and irrational people :errr

rather than having a top hardware they choose one that allow you to travel with and to switch between Docked and handheld mode. that's part of the switch appeal, thinking about buying rocket league on it despite the fact that i already have it on XB1 just to be able to play it on handheld. The problem is the switch capacity is 32gb, so games have to be compressed before being ported. It's fine for most games but a 107GB game like RDR 2 can never be compressed for the switch. that being said they announced a new Switch for 2019
It does. From the very beginning, many people didn't even know that the wii u was a console because of the stupid name. Some considered it an addon of the wii ffs.

It's not the next gen, it's the current gen. 2019/2020 doesn't change a thing. Don't be surprised if nintendo released a switch+ soon (which has been actually confirmed iirc? Edit: ah yeah you mentioned it... Which kind of goes against your whole point, why would we buy a console that will be obsolete in a couple of years as the hardware was outdated BY THE TIME IT WAS RELEASED).

I'm not irrational at all. You can easily set your pc to display on your tv and you can play from your couch/bed. Comfort is hardly an argument, it's really easily done (but well, humans ARE lazy). If anything, you are, and as usual you have your hivemind mentality and make moot points or strawmans your arguments. Amazing discussion '-'/

scav

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I'm gonna ground you both '-'
:lmao
you deal with him, i'm tired lol. All that to defend the fact that he made you buy a dead console