Others - The Nintendo Switch Thread | Page 5 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Others The Nintendo Switch Thread

GrySun

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Japan
With there only being two odd months left in the year, what has been everyone's favourite Switch release so far this year?

For me it's been Dragon Quest XI by far. Just finished it today and I have to say it's been ages since I've really enjoyed and gotten into a game this much. Enjoyable story, excellent gameplay and a superb soundtrack have put it well above other releases like Link's Awakening and Fire Emblem Three Houses (would rate FE3H higher than LA), albeit I had a diminished experience with FE3H being spoilt for me by a friend.
Still didn‘t have enough time to play DQXI :feelsbadman So far my answer would be Three Houses as one of the few 2019 games I could play.
Glad to hear that DQXI is good and appreciated, will totally get on it. Curious whether it can enter my top 3 DQ games or if it‘s not that great a DQ title, in comparison.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

That said, The Hero in Smash is so fun to play. Especially for DQ fans they went wild with stuff for fans to enjoy.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
With there only being two odd months left in the year, what has been everyone's favourite Switch release so far this year?

For me it's been Dragon Quest XI by far. Just finished it today and I have to say it's been ages since I've really enjoyed and gotten into a game this much. Enjoyable story, excellent gameplay and a superb soundtrack have put it well above other releases like Link's Awakening and Fire Emblem Three Houses (would rate FE3H higher than LA), albeit I had a diminished experience with FE3H being spoilt for me by a friend.
I might return to this question in a month, after Pokemon is out and I've had more time with Luigi and RingFit (I don't think there are any major titles coming out after Pokemon this year?).

But as of now, just about 4 hours into the game, I'd say my personal Switch game of the year is Luigis Mansion 3.

It looks gorgeous and atmospheric (the lighting system is incredible!). It's fun to play. Wrecking havoc after the ghosts never gets old. Has first time for LM game enough of mechanics to feel that you variety of things to do. And for me personally spooky thematics and games that rely heavily on exploring every book and cranny have always hit the spot.

Other that, my games of the year on Switch are RingFit Adventure, Links Awakening, Fire Emblem and GRIS in no particular order.

I also want Dragon Quest so bad! Loved the demo. But with the end of the year being so busy with new releases, that's the one I've needed let wait. And I likely wouldn't have the time for another 60h+ game right now :D

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Still didn‘t have enough time to play DQXI :feelsbadman So far my answer would be Three Houses as one of the few 2019 games I could play.
Glad to hear that DQXI is good and appreciated, will totally get on it. Curious whether it can enter my top 3 DQ games or if it‘s not that great a DQ title, in comparison.

That said, The Hero in Smash is so fun to play. Especially for DQ fans they went wild with stuff for fans to enjoy.
Aye! DQXI was my first Dragon Quest and I'm still loving it heaps, so glad I kept playing past smacking the big baddy too as it's made the game even better for me. I don't want to rush a replay of it as I've enjoyed it so much so I'll let it age like a nice, fine whisky before coming back to it but I absolutely love it to bits. If only I loved Fire Emblem Three Houses and had the drive to play that more :emocat

I might return to this question in a month, after Pokemon is out and I've had more time with Luigi and RingFit (I don't think there are any major titles coming out after Pokemon this year?).

But as of now, just about 4 hours into the game, I'd say my personal Switch game of the year is Luigis Mansion 3.

It looks gorgeous and atmospheric (the lighting system is incredible!). It's fun to play. Wrecking havoc after the ghosts never gets old. Has first time for LM game enough of mechanics to feel that you variety of things to do. And for me personally spooky thematics and games that rely heavily on exploring every book and cranny have always hit the spot.

Other that, my games of the year on Switch are RingFit Adventure, Links Awakening, Fire Emblem and GRIS in no particular order.

I also want Dragon Quest so bad! Loved the demo. But with the end of the year being so busy with new releases, that's the one I've needed let wait. And I likely wouldn't have the time for another 60h+ game right now :D
I've always wanted to play a Luigi's Mansion but never have, and hearing good things about 3 makes me want to pick it up. I grabbed the Phoenix Wright Trilogy on the eShop the other day so once I properly finish off DQ and then the Ace Attorney Trilogy I'll likely have a fang on Luigi's Mansion.

afromarco005

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
France

3 houses
Dragon quest 11
Pokemon shield
Astral chain

scav

MH's Most Passionate Member
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
The Wall

3 houses
crash team racing nitro fueled

I heard the opposite about DQ XI soundtrack, apparently it's the same damn track over and over again. one track for the wild, another one for villages. I lent my copy to a friend (playing astral chain and dead cells atm) and he said he started playing the game muted due to the repetitive soundtrack :lmao

afromarco005

Reaction score
Country
France
3 houses
crash team racing nitro fueled

I heard the opposite about DQ XI soundtrack, apparently it's the same damn track over and over again. one track for the wild, another one for villages. I lent my copy to a friend (playing astral chain and dead cells atm) and he said he started playing the game muted due to the repetitive soundtrack :lmao
I agree its a fantastic game but they reuse the same tracks waaay too much at least they are ochestrated in the switch version.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Btw, if anyone is playing the game - we are doing Animal Crossing New Horizons Top 10 Villagers at the Top 10 game at Fun Forum: Please join! You can PM your Top villagers to me :

Also, I just noticed I never came back for my final decision about Switch GotY 2019. For me, it is a tie. I can't choose between Luigis Mansion 3 and Ring Fit Adventure.

LM3 is the better game in a traditional sense, bit RFA takes on the already good legacy of Wii Fit, but elevates to it to completely new level. It makes the training actually fun and engaging. No thing has motivated me that long for keeping up with the exercise. And the game just became a notch better in 2020 with the addition of rhythm game and jogging mode. The two game thrive for just different things, that I simple can't choose one over another.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
So what about that ne Direct eh? My Top picks from it:

1. Splatoon 3: Fuck yes. This series has been so much fun, happy to see the saga continue. It seems like more customization and new lore to the world. Seems fun still.
2. Mario Golf Super Rush: I love fun Mario party and sports games. I have also missed Wii Golf, which this seems to bring back to an extent, and all the new modes seem like superfun multi-player chaos.
3. Project Triangle Tactics: I absolutely loved the visual of Octopath Traveler, but I never finished the game because old-school JRPGs are so tenuous. But now, this style with the core idea of Final Fantasy Tactics-series, one of my all time favorite turn-based franchises,is pure gold. Holy shit I'm excited to try the demo soon.
4. Skyward Sword HD: This will do while waiting for BotW2. I'm that weirdo who enjoys motion-control gimmicks, so this might be a fun experience. I haven't played the original. I might also need to get the new Joy-Cons. Absolutely stunning.
5. Pyra/Mythra in Smash: I haven't played Smash in ages and I'm not the hugest Xenoblade fan, but this release trailer made me smile. I love it that it is just the girls, and Rex is just supporter. Good flip from the OG game.
6. Mario Stuff in ACNH: I need to get back in to AC just to gather all this stuff.

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Was mostly interested by Skyward Sword HD and the Ninja Gaiden Collection.

I never played Splatoon. Maybe I should.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Well it's a shooty thing that gives an edge to young and healthy players who still have prime reflexes. But I've found it still very approachable and fun. It has the tactics angle to it, when it is not about who kills the most, but who covers the most area. As far as multi-player focused games go, it's super fun.

Aizen

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
I thought the Nintendo Direct was solid overall despite very few games that interested me haha.

I tried out the Triangle Project demo yesterday knowing it was probably not going to be for me. I don't really like JRPG or turn-based tactics games all that much. It was pretty cool though. I always liked the aesthetic in Octopath Traveler and this follows in the same vein. Will definitely please those turn-based fans.

I will consider picking up the new Mario Golf game. I have not played one in ages and the Mario sports games are usually fun.

Ninja Gaiden was nostalgic. I played the heck out of the second entry on Xbox 360 years ago. I don't think I will pick this collection up but it is nice to see it get a re-release.

I really like Smash but I only play it with friends. I don't even own a copy myself. Therefore, the new character is not much of a hype inducer for me.

Was disappointed with the Zelda announcements. I wanted a Zelda collection similar to the Mario one last year because I have yet to play many of the titles in the series. Skyward Sword is one of the games that does not interest me sadly. I am also one of those heathens who did not care for BOTW all that much, so I was fine with the lack of news on the sequel front xD. I know that was a big disappointment for others though.

Finally, I have never played Splatoon. I can't really comment on that one. I am aware it is a heavy hitter for many, so cheers to that. Was also nice to see Hades get a release on the Switch. Had a blast with that one last year.

Last edited:

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
I just played the Triangle Tactics demo, and as fan of the genre, I absolutely loved it. Good stuff.

I'm also a bit disappointed that no news on Twilight Princes and Windwaker. Shouldn't be too much of an hassle to port those from Wii U, and sells would be guaranteed.

Hades has already been released on the Switch as well, it's just a physical copy. Neat extras though.

Aizen

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
I figured as much. I have a friend who is going to be in heaven with Trangle Tactics I imagine haha.

Windwaker was the one I really wanted. OoT and MM would have been cool too.

Oh that is right xD. I spaced that it had already been released. As you said, neat extras.

scav

MH's Most Passionate Member
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
only 3 things caught my attention:
- splatoon 3, but the 2022 at the end was the cold shower
- triangle tactics
- zelda skyward sword. but not sold yet, i hate motion controls gimmicks unlike ust and using right stick to swing feel weird.

As for smash, i remember telling a friend who's a big fan of the franchise that my problem with xenoblade 2 was Rex being too childish and cringe as an MC and that shulk from the 1 was a lot better. Not surprised they choose to bring Rex blades instead of rex, dude is just too cringe :lmao

I figured as much. I have a friend who is going to be in heaven with Trangle Tactics I imagine haha.

Windwaker was the one I really wanted. OoT and MM would have been cool too.

Oh that is right xD. I spaced that it had already been released. As you said, neat extras.
yeah windwaker, ocarina or majora mask would've been dope. but they bring the one with motion controls :lmao
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Finally, I have never played Splatoon. I can't really comment on that one. I am aware it is a heavy hitter for many, so cheers to that. Was also nice to see Hades get a release on the Switch. Had a blast with that one last year.
I don't own splatoon but i played the 2 and it's really a shiton of fun. what made me not buy the game is that i gave up on nintendo online. Took it for one year because of smash and felt like i was being robbed, the service is trash. let alone it doesn't provide online save for games like splatoon 2.

Suck that such a good game is being held back by a trashy online service.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Got a Switch thanks to a recent Top 10 Game. Haven't owned something like this since a Gameboy. For now I'm playing some of the SNES/N64 games that come with the online expansion. I bought Super Mario Odyssey and Gris but haven't opened them up yet.

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Got a Switch thanks to a recent Top 10 Game. Haven't owned something like this since a Gameboy. For now I'm playing some of the SNES/N64 games that come with the online expansion. I bought Super Mario Odyssey and Gris but haven't opened them up yet.
Hope you enjoy!

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Nintendo Direct thoughts:

- Fire Emblem fuck yeah
- Meh, lot of ports
- Fist of the North Star dancing/boxing game?!? That's hilarious
- The aging and offspring mechanic in Harvest Moon OG seems interesting
- Splatfest, called it. Gear, grub or fun. I think grub.
- Octopath Traveler 2 looks pretty as always, but I never finished the first one either...
- it is a robbery to take extra money to get Melodies of Life to the FF rhythm game
- I loved the first Mario+Rabbids. Definetly getting the second as well.
- ﹰSoo many variations on farming games
- And grindy RPGs
- Ooh, Golden Eye, Mario Parties and Pokemon Stadiums make me almost wanna update to Online+
- Strikers update, nice, nice!
- Wave 3 <3 Called it
- Switch Sports update, called it
- Pikmin Bloom buff was odd, just let it die nobody cares. Pokemon Go is just superior version of AR walking game
- Pikmin 4, I know people have been waiting this! Maybe it'll be my first game of the series
- Bayonetta 3, called it. Looks cool, but I never really got into these
- Raincode seems interesting
- Will RE Village really run on the Switch?
- Sifu has an interesting age mechanics as well, but doesn't really seem my type of game
- Kirby is so cute always
- ZELDAAA! Tears of a Kingdom. I like the sound of it. May release? I know what I'm asking for birthday present.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Now I get why Nintendo UK didn't live stream it :D

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
How do I get into Fire Emblem again? @GrySun I have never played one.