Games - The RPG thread | Page 42 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Games The RPG thread

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
A Ni no Kuni movie is being developed :wtf

riki

Storyteller
Reaction score
Country
United States
New info about Persona 5: The Royal is out. Looks like new characters and scenarios, and it’s confirmed to be out next year for the west
:wtf

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
That looks like the perfect excuse to play Persona 5 again. Awesome.:pleased

riki

Storyteller
Reaction score
Country
United States
New Persona 5: The Royal trailer:
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

English trailer:
--- Double Post Merged, ---

More P5R info

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
This may not be quite as hype as Persona 5 Royal but Trails of Cold Steel 3 has been announced for western release.

Which I'm pretty excited for as the previous two were both quietly great JRPGs with a really strong story and world building component.

riki

Storyteller
Reaction score
Country
United States
Will you be getting the CE?

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Probably not. That does look cool though. I tend to only buy collectors editions when there is something in there I must have. Like the Yakuza 6 CE that came with these sweet whiskey tumbler glasses. I bought that.

Or Fate Extella Link which came with a bunch of Fate stuff.

It's resulted in me having a lot of odd things floating around my house like a Magic Emperor Galleon punching puppet from the Lunar Silver Star Story PSone collectors edition. :amuse
--- Double Post Merged, ---

The only collectors edition thing I'm looking at in the near future is the one for Catherine: Full Body because that evil sheep plush looks bizarre and awesome.

riki

Storyteller
Reaction score
Country
United States
LOL I got the Catherine CE just for the sheep plushie

Looks like there will be a third Persona evolution in P5R.

riki

Storyteller
Reaction score
Country
United States
New info on Persona 5: The Royal is out:

Goral

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Poland
Prestigious RPG Codex community has chosen the best 101 RPGs of all time, I recommend checkint it out:
Greetings traveler. I hope your mouse wheel / PgDown key are in good shape, because is this one MASSIVE piece of content!

About 5 years ago we made a voting to determine the Top RPGs of all time. We had 234 codexers voting on 223 RPGs. After we got the ranking, we asked people to write why short reviews for each title. That was the RPG Codex Top 70 PC RPGs, one of my favorite things of the Codex and what later led to the CRPG Book.

But new games are released every day now, and we decided to make an updated version, with the same rules. This time 361 codexers voted on 278 RPGs. And instead of a Top 70, we made a Top 101! With reviews!

You can check the full results of the voting HERE (plus a comparison with the previous poll), or just scroll down to start reading! OBS: Some entries share the same number, that's because they were tied in the voting.

Thanks to everyone who voted and wrote reviews, have a good reading!

Read the full article: The RPG Codex's Top 101 PC RPGs (With User Reviews!)

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
I don't know how you rank that many games at once, but seeing Witcher 3 at #15 somehow feels wrong. I guess you could say it's a ranking based on the true RPG aspects, but that doesn't really explain Dark Souls being ranked above it. Witcher 2 is somehow 40 places lower than the original game? Dragon Age Origins is lower than freaking ELEX? You have to go 60 places to find the first Mass Effect game, and they ranked Dark Souls 2 above Dark Souls 3? Seriously?

I'm not sure if their opinions are bad, their scoring is way off, or if it was a waste of time to rank 100 games in the first place.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
My feelings were similar. Like I want to cut these kind of lists some slack because obviously opinions vary but if you look at the order of that list and what's on it and what's not. It's a problem.

Like I don't even know where to begin with that thing, So instead I'll just point out that Skyrim isn't on the list yet Prey is which is barely an RPG. And Gothic III? No. Just no.

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Like I don't even know where to begin with that thing, So instead I'll just point out that Skyrim isn't on the list yet Prey is which is barely an RPG. And Gothic III? No. Just no.
I love Prey, but it being on the list as an "RPG" but Dishonored not? Give me as break lol.

There's a huge contingent of people who shit on ES after Morrowind... but that doesn't really explain why Oblivion made the list but not Skyrim. There seemed to be a shitload of old games on there that don't belong. I mean, you'd probably have more fun playing a paper and pencil game than half of those. And Icewind Dale being so low on the list behind a ton of old stuff I'm not even sure I've seen before cements my point IMO.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I love Prey, but it being on the list as an "RPG" but Dishonored not? Give me as break lol.

There's a huge contingent of people who shit on ES after Morrowind... but that doesn't really explain why Oblivion made the list but not Skyrim. There seemed to be a shitload of old games on there that don't belong. I mean, you'd probably have more fun playing a paper and pencil game than half of those. And Icewind Dale being so low on the list behind a ton of old stuff I'm not even sure I've seen before cements my point IMO.
Even more objectionable than that is the indie games and hipster type games, for me.

Like Expeditions Viking and Atom RPG. I enjoyed both. They do not belong in an RPG top 100. Neither does the first Neverwinter Nights. Neverwinter Nights II? That's a discussion. And Elex? No. Just no.

Goral

Reaction score
Country
Poland
I don't know how you rank that many games at once, but seeing Witcher 3 at #15 somehow feels wrong. I guess you could say it's a ranking based on the true RPG aspects, but that doesn't really explain Dark Souls being ranked above it. Witcher 2 is somehow 40 places lower than the original game? Dragon Age Origins is lower than freaking ELEX? You have to go 60 places to find the first Mass Effect game, and they ranked Dark Souls 2 above Dark Souls 3? Seriously?

I'm not sure if their opinions are bad, their scoring is way off, or if it was a waste of time to rank 100 games in the first place.
First things first, RPG Codex is a community of RPG experts as well as RPG amateurs, but all in all the ratio of experts is the highest of all communities. So you have here quite a few old guys (as old as me or older) who have played every great RPG from the 80's and later. Have you heard about Buck Rodgers? Pools of Darkness? Betrayal at Krondor? Dark Sun: Shattered Lands? Ultima? Wizardry? Well, these guys played them all so it's no wonder that games aimed at retards like Skyrim or Dragon Age or Mass Effect (with hand-holding, LGBTFAGS and other things for double digit IQ target) aren't high on that list.

Age of Decadence for example is a brilliant but underappreciated gem of a game that besides RPG Codex community no one has heard about and it deservedly got 11th place. You can be sure though that it wouldn't be considered in any other list like this made by mainstream media (like IGN, Gamespot, RPS or PC Gamer) because the game doesn't play itself and all of the negative reviews on Steam are of the "it's too hard" category. When a casual gamer goes from Dragon Age or Skyrim (where he easily becomes a demi-god) to AoD where he can't win even the first fight you can be certain that he won't recommend this game. But for RPG Codex the challenge and unique ideas in the game are precious, hence they prefer games like AoD or Jagged Alliance 2 or Fallout or Arcanum rather than Mass Effect, Skyrim, Oblivion or Dragon Age.

I agree though that some of the games on the list should be lower or much lower (like all Dark Souls games, Shadowrun: Dragonfall, Baldur's Gate series, Morrowind, etc.) and some higher or much higher (like Betrayal at Krondor, Dark Sun, Age of Decadence, Wasteland 1, etc.) but the point of this list is more about pointing RPG fans in the right direction rather than trying to be alpha and omega. Look at any other top 100 (or whatever number they can come up with) and see how many great RPGs they've omitted and look at this list to see the difference. RPG Codex has gems no other list has and that's its main advantage.

Also, I should point out, in case you've missed it, how the voting looked like. Everyone had 25 points to distribute but could assign no more than 5 points to a single title. So one could vote on 25 games or only 5 games, depending on his choice. That way it was impossible to downvote a game you haven't played or you didn't play (and knowing RPG Codex, Bioware and Bethesda games would end up even lower in such case because their titles would get many 1 ratings). That way you voted only on the games that you thought truly deserved the spot. Hence Witcher 3 didn't get the better place because objectively it's a much worse game than Planescape Torment, Fallout, Arcanum, Bloodlines, Wizardry 8 (although it got better place but that's mainly because many more people played W3 than W8) or Age of Decadence.

Even more objectionable than that is the indie games and hipster type games, for me.

Like Expeditions Viking and Atom RPG. I enjoyed both. They do not belong in an RPG top 100. Neither does the first Neverwinter Nights. Neverwinter Nights II? That's a discussion. And Elex? No. Just no.
lol
Top 100 is a lot, Expeditions: Viking and Atom are easily in the top 100. NN is super boring, I agree and NN 2 got so many points only because of brilliant expansion Mask of the Betrayer. I don't know what you have against ELEX though, IMO it's a much better game than any AAA title I know but if you want a casual list just go to any other gaming site and voila, you will have your wishes fulfilled.

TrienDarkform

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Interesting list. :)

I tend to look at 'best of'/'top ###' lists with curiosity but don't really think too much of them otherwise, since tastes vary all over, and I've got my own biases which oftentimes don't necessarily align with the more common view.

As mentioned in other places, I don't really make rankings per se, but as for games, if it's something that I'll pick up and replay somewhat frequently, just out of the blue for fun, even if I've got other games on the backlog, it's probably up there somewhere. :) So, let's see...

My personal favourite, Ultima VII, clocks in at their #30. It's combat system was terrible, but the game was one of the most immersive and interactive open worlds created, especially for its time. NPCs went to work, gathered at the local pub afterwards, and went home to sleep at night (and complained if you barged into their house and woke them up). Want to get on top of something? Stack crates and whatever else random objects, doesn't really matter what, to make something you can climb up. This is the game where you could literally pick up anything, even if it was totally useless, like random rocks on the ground, or seemingly useless, like the dirty diapers at the nursery... which as it turns out could be used on any NPC/creature in the game to send them running away in terror. :XD

Wow, Star Control II made the list at #81. This game has been brought to you by... Frungy, the sport of kings. A lot more polished than the Starflight games (predecessors in style and genre), smooth and fun spaceship combat, and an overall nicer package with a good sense of humour throughout; but Starflight II's scope of the game world and story rivals it in my books, even if it was a lot more primitive (but c'mon, the thing fit on 2 freaking 360kb floppy disks!).

Edit: P.S. I would be remiss to not mention that SC2 is available for free to download and play as 'The Ur-Quan Masters' at http://sc2.sourceforge.net/ (lacking the Star Control heading in the title for various legal reasons which amongst other things has been in the more recent news with respect to further sequels in the universe).

Last edited: