TV - The Television Show Thread | Page 94 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

TV The Television Show Thread

greyssy

Banned
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Just started watching the latest Simon Reeves travel series. South America. 5 episodes all now on Iplayer. Always a good watch.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Gotta say, she-hulk is almost surprisingly bad. I was almost excited when watching the first episode and it went about being a lawyer show but the lawyering in this is outright awful. And the fourth wall breaking is just bad. And the while thing is almost comically unfunny in general.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
I actually loved She-Hulk, it was fun, light-hearted, yet topical and relatable. That was until the last episode. The ending twist was just... confusing. Like I didn't get the point at all. It felt lazy. Unsatisfying. "Drama and big final fight action is so predictable and generic, that let's make a funny self-conscious season finale without drama and big action"... suure... but that's just boring, because it wasn't really that funny or smart. Such disappointment after the previous episodes being so nice. Still though really loved how they portrayed She-Hulk and can't wait to see more of her in MCU.

The Power Rings on the other hand held until the end. I was kind of indifferent the first 1-3 episodes, but kept watching for the production value and certain characters, but it kept getting better, I kept getting more invested in the storylines, and the finale didn't disappoint, despite it not being really surprising and me predicting the big twist few episodes before.

I especially enjoyed the Harfoots storyline (very cute), Durin (also very cute), and Galadriel (pretty hot, and they didn't even need sex scenes or nude shots to establish that)

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Ok, finally got around to seeing the final episode of she-hulk. I am not sure of what this was. It was not fun, it was not interesting. She-hulk went "The storylines don't make sense and all of this is repetitive". 110% agreed, I am on board. Then she goes "let's change this generic stuff, get me a love interest, get emil to be help accountable". And then.... the series skips right to that, nothing in between. This is almost as awful as lawyering in the show.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Man, these Witcher show people have put themselves in a hell of a fix.

It's this funny mix where they have a successful show. But Cavil's leaving. And I think everybody felt like he knew the Geralt character far better than the creative team behind the show. Who have pretty consistently done things to get on the nerves of people like me while not really owning up past mistakes.

Like I'm not big on the whole internet rage thing, I want them to succeed so I have a good show to watch if nothing else. Liam Hemsworth isn't a bad replacement either just visually (acting we'll see). And I'm sure Cavil was probably leaving no matter what they did and to thier credit they've mostly done really well with casting. I feel like Triss was they're only strikeout.

Yet when the showrunner says this...

"I have great respect for Beau, and the episodes he wrote! The striga episode is one of my favorites. He wrote the one where people came to Kaer Morhen and Eskel died, which had a lot of backlash, but he was brave in telling the story he wanted to tell. It takes a lot of balls to do that. I respect that." - Lauren Hissrich

That's kind of a problem because it shows they haven't really learned anything. Part of the process of improving is recognizing where you fucked up. That's just life. Like the striga episode was terrible because they cut the striga fight with Yennifer's transformation. That just did not work, I think most fans agree about that. And the Eskel was just a bad move that I think most if not all fans of the show wish they hadn't done. But they don't seem to know that. Which just adds to the impression that the people making the Witcher show don't really understand what people like about the series. Now granted she said those comments in defense of the exwriter who had said they had mocked the source material. But just don't go there. Surely she must know those things she's pointing to aren't things fans of the show actually like.

It really does feel to me like without Cavil the enthusiasm for the show is just going to die. And that's a shame.

Last edited:

Kylenhangen

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Turkey
The Boys season 1 will be better than the other seasons (include unreleased season 4 and Gen V spin-off) in my opinion. I'm still watching season 3 but I'm not sure this season will be good. I'd to be honest Antony Starr's acting was excellent and was showing the Homelander's emotions perfectly.

Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I am kinda surprised no one has brought up rick and morty here. To me it kinda looks like the show is now dead.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I've followed it a little. Sounds like they are looking around to recast Rick. They have more writers so I think it will probably continue on.

Anyway, only show I watched recently was Wednesday on Netflix. Which... I actually ended up liking a whole lot. Thought it was just a good fun show. Sort of Nancy Drew as a sociopath. Had one bad episode where the characters "got in touch with their feelings", which kind of didn't belong given the way the rest of the show is, but aside from that it was a really fun watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: z.5

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Last of Us episode 3 was so goood. Nick Offerman is so goddamn amazing.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
So, justin roiland had all charges dropped against him. I know everyone hated working with him but given how things turned out it'd only be fair if he sues everyone and wins. No idea if the way his contracts were structured would allow that though.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
A few things of note about shows I'm watching.

Picard Season 3 is... not horrible so far. In fact, I'd even call it good. Which was quite a surprise for me given how absolutely godawful season 1 and 2 were. What makes it better than the previous seasons comes down to better writing and that the various Star Trek TNG actors they're bringing in are all better at reprising thier roles than Patrick Stewart is at reprising his. So they give him that boost he needs at his age to be the center of a show like this.

Mandalorian Season 3 has also been pretty great. Sounds like it's ratings aren't doing amazing, which is a shame because it deserves to have great ratings. It's not doing anything epic so far but aside from one dull 30 min stretch where they cut to an over indulgent subplot in an episode, it's been just a good space adventure with all the aspects that reminds me what I liked about Star Wars originally. It's just fun sci-fi.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
I thought the first two episodes of Mando S3 were boring. Lot of pointless going back and worth. Maybe those things will be revelant later, but for now it felt, but for now it felt they are really stretching it. Still intend to catch up though.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I thought the first two episodes of Mando S3 were boring. Lot of pointless going back and worth. Maybe those things will be revelant later, but for now it felt, but for now it felt they are really stretching it. Still intend to catch up though.
Really? Can you elaborate at all. I'm really interested in why you feel that way. Because I'm absolutely loving it. Especially the slow burn mandalorian culture stuff. That world building really appeals to me.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Still absolutely loving the Mandalorian. Sounds like there are quite a few out there that don't feel the same way about it, which is a shame, but I'm having a blast.

Xadyu

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Cocos Islands
Really? Can you elaborate at all. I'm really interested in why you feel that way. Because I'm absolutely loving it. Especially the slow burn mandalorian culture stuff. That world building really appeals to me.
Definitely agree with this.

Still absolutely loving the Mandalorian. Sounds like there are quite a few out there that don't feel the same way about it, which is a shame, but I'm having a blast.
But sadly I started disagreeing with this.

I liked the third season, I don't think it's bad. But it's definitely not up to par with the previous seasons, besides the weird ep about the cgi Doc, it was a decent season. There's just something.. off.

Had the same feeling with Ahsoka. Rebels is probably my favorite Star Wars, and it's the thing that finally brought me to love the franchise (always liked it, never loved it). Ahsoka is basically a new season of Rebels, an epilogue perhaps, and I should love everything about it, but it's just... not it. That's the same feeling I have with Mando 3.

In theory, I like everything on paper, all of the live-action shows. Boba was just a shit-show, but the other shows aren't, yet there's something off in the feel of the shows, at least for me. I don't know how to properly explain it either, it's just that it doesn't feel right.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm with you on Ahsoka. Except I'd even go so far as to say I actually hated that one. Some friends and I were talking about that the other night actually.

My short review on Ahsoka goes like this. I like the villains. RIP Ray Stevenson because he was terrific and it's a real shame he can't reprise that role. Thrawn is good. The apprentice girl was good.

But there were too many problems.

The first is a performance issue. Rosario Dawson was terrible in that show. No idea why. I though she was fine in Mando as Ahsoka. But in this show she was really bad. Not sure what happened exactly but she comes across as apathetic throughout the show. You can't have your protagonist look like they don't care. Mando emoted better and he was a stuntman with a helmet covering his face with ADR'd dialogue.

The second are a lot of writing issues. You can't have a Sabine betray the good side for personal reasons and never pay a price or be called out for it in any way. I don't even know how that happens. You can't fall back on "the force" to provide plot armor over and over. Or if you do you need to disguise it or it spoils any sense of tension the show could have had and makes everything boring because the heroes are invincible and the action scenes stop mattering. You can't set a goal, preventing the return of Thrawn, then act like that goal doesn't matter in the last 3 episodes.

The third is that it's a big problem when the most heroic character in the show is one of the bad guys. The asian witch lady does a heroic last stand and sacfices herself fighting a battle everybody knows she can't win in order to allow her allies to escape. When a fascist villain is the most heroic person in your show that's an issue.

It was just a bad show. What I suspect happened was they repurposed a script meant for the animation of a new Rebels season. But they must have been rushed because it needed like 2 more drafts at least to work the rough parts out. As it was even the action is boring. Too childish to be serious. And too serious to be lighthearted adventure. It's just bad.

Last edited:

Sanity Check

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki

Ahsoka ^

Season 1 of star wars rebels was 14 episodes long.

Season 1 of Ahsoka cut down to 8 episodes.

They slowed the pace of the story to shoot fewer scenes. (Perhaps to cut production costs.)

Teh shrinkflation is realz.