TV - The Television Show Thread | Page 93 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

TV The Television Show Thread

Sanity Check

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
The Kenobi series will probably be de-canonized.

Its gone too far off the rails into generic fan fiction land.

:toc

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I am so hype for The Sandman. It's my favorite graphic novel of all time and they really, really seem like they might do it justice. Hearing all the cast talk about their characters and really get them, and hearing Neil and the show-runner talk about the performances and how they've worked on adapting the story... this could be amazing.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

AND they got Mark Hamill to voice Merv! Perfection!

Sanity Check

Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
My expectations for Westworld S4 are pretty low. Once the left the park that show just died for me.

Sanity Check

Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki

A recommendation for terminal list.

Going to check it out.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Ugh, just watched the first episode of the Netflix Resident Evil show. Might watch more or might not. It generally looks better than I expected but I still don't think it's good.

I don't understand why these screenwriters never even try to write a proper first act.

Is it too much to ask that the first episode of a show try to do something to convince me I should care about or be interested in the main character? I understand not everything uses 3 act structure but shouldn't it supply me with some reason to give a shit about it's protagonist? All you got to do is slip in some scene where she shows a single positive character trait. That's all they had to do.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation

So.. after looking at that.... YYYAAAWWWWNNNN. If i am not mistaken, it almost looks like what they are going for is sauron not being the one who forged the 9 rings of men and 7 rings of dwarfs? heresy.

Also have seen a couple episodes of the resident evil series. Seems pretty average for the most part.

Sanity Check

Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Sauron concealed his identity and called himself the Necromancer during the hobbit era?

In the way Gandalf was called Mithrandir?

What Sauron really needs is... their pronouns engraved on their armor and rings of power. That would be hilarious.

I was over them butchering classic content, awhile ago. :toc

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Looks pretty enough visually. Didn't really do a good job of showing what this story is supposed to actually be about aside from the title of the show. Or why I should be interested in actually watching it.

gnut

Reaction score
Country
United States
The Sandman is pretty good so far....

besides the gargoyle animation...love the show so far after 5epis...just thought the Cain and Abel bs was cringy

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
The Sandman is pretty good so far....

besides the gargoyle animation...love the show so far after 5epis...just thought the Cain and Abel bs was cringy
Definitely had some great episodes. Eps 1-3 were good, 4-6 were all great. The Rose Walker episodes (7-10) fell a bit flat, much due to the actress who played Rose tbh... idk how she landed that role. The Corinthian carried those episodes and made me push through. Then the bonus episode that released the other day was great as well. So yeah, a mixed bag, but I hope it gets a second season and that it's more consistent from here on!

Nervous about who they will cast as... well the lady in my avatar/sig. :grumble

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Definitely had some great episodes. Eps 1-3 were good, 4-6 were all great. The Rose Walker episodes (7-10) fell a bit flat, much due to the actress who played Rose tbh... idk how she landed that role. The Corinthian carried those episodes and made me push through. Then the bonus episode that released the other day was great as well. So yeah, a mixed bag, but I hope it gets a second season and that it's more consistent from here on!

Nervous about who they will cast as... well the lady in my avatar/sig. :grumble
That's pretty much where I landed. With a few more reservations, I guess. Though I'm a little less fond of the Neil Gaimen style and this is very much that.

Episode 6 was easily my favorite with death and the immortal guy. Though it annoyed me a bit that Death's best lines were lifted verbatim from the Terry Prachett book Mort. I know those two authors were pals so he probably had permission but come on, man. Don't do that...

Also just hate the casting of Jenna Coleman as Constantine. Not that I care about the genderswap. It's just that her version of the character doesn't have the rough downtrodden look. It's just weird to see any version of Constantine that doesn't look like they crawled out of bar at 2am the previous night. Not sure if I disliked the Rose Walker actress or just the storyline. Either way wasn't a huge fan of that part either.

z.5

Only Half Psychic
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Pratchett DEATH = best death
:invalid

The way you describe the series is, thankfully, making me look forward to watching it [when I finally get back home]

I was worried it might end up being poorly acted cheesy nonsense - but it sounds like my fears might turn out to be rather unfounded

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'll say this for it. It looks good enough that it almost seems like they were trying to max out Netflix's credit cards. Almost excessively good looking for a show.

And though I do have issues with some casting. The actors I thought all did great. The main guy is playing it pretty stoic emo but I feel like that fits the part in this case. Everybody is trying pretty hard. And not in a bad way.

Sanity Check

Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki

Was I the only one who mistook the landlord in Sandman.

For Gary Oldman in the 5th Element?

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
That's pretty much where I landed. With a few more reservations, I guess. Though I'm a little less fond of the Neil Gaimen style and this is very much that.

Episode 6 was easily my favorite with death and the immortal guy. Though it annoyed me a bit that Death's best lines were lifted verbatim from the Terry Prachett book Mort. I know those two authors were pals so he probably had permission but come on, man. Don't do that...

Also just hate the casting of Jenna Coleman as Constantine. Not that I care about the genderswap. It's just that her version of the character doesn't have the rough downtrodden look. It's just weird to see any version of Constantine that doesn't look like they crawled out of bar at 2am the previous night. Not sure if I disliked the Rose Walker actress or just the storyline. Either way wasn't a huge fan of that part either.
Yeah, episode 6 was pretty much flawless imo. Hm, I reread Sandman much more recently than Mort, so I just realized that almost all of Death's dialogue was pulled verbatim from various issues of the graphic novel... but the first installment with Death came out two years after Mort, so it's certainly possible Neil, er, "took inspiration" from Pratchett's one. Either way, I know Pratchett was very fond of Neil's version of Death so I don't think he took an issue, if so...

And yeah, Johanna was a little bit too... "Jenna Coleman" for Constantine, if you know the character and have expectations for it. My wife really liked the episode and her character though, so I think it's only an issue if you know what the character is normally like. She didn't do a bad job though, once you got used to the fact that they changed the character.

Was I the only one who mistook the landlord in Sandman.

For Gary Oldman in the 5th Element?

First thing that came to mind for me too! :lmao
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Pratchett DEATH = best death
:invalid

The way you describe the series is, thankfully, making me look forward to watching it [when I finally get back home]

I was worried it might end up being poorly acted cheesy nonsense - but it sounds like my fears might turn out to be rather unfounded
I mean, I liked it more than I liked Good Omens, in which I loved the Aziraphale and Crowley parts but found most else pretty cheesy and poorly acted.

I do think the story starting at episode 7 might give some people a tough time to go on, mostly because of the acting from the new characters introduced, but also because it's like a new season starts mid-season and some might find that off-putting. It also adapts what has always been my least favorite part of the story even in the comics.. you might find those episodes to prove your fears right, or maybe I'm just overly critical because it's one of my favorite fictional works of all time. :XD

In any case, I'd recommend anyone to give the show up to episode 6, at least, because eps 5 and 6 were both some of the best television I've seen the last couple of years.

Reactions: z.5

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, episode 6 was pretty much flawless imo. Hm, I reread Sandman much more recently than Mort, so I just realized that almost all of Death's dialogue was pulled verbatim from various issues of the graphic novel... but the first installment with Death came out two years after Mort, so it's certainly possible Neil, er, "took inspiration" from Pratchett's one. Either way, I know Pratchett was very fond of Neil's version of Death so I don't think he took an issue, if so...

And yeah, Johanna was a little bit too... "Jenna Coleman" for Constantine, if you know the character and have expectations for it. My wife really liked the episode and her character though, so I think it's only an issue if you know what the character is normally like. She didn't do a bad job though, once you got used to the fact that they changed the character.
I'm sure he had permission. Either before the fact or after. Since he and Prachett even wrote books together later on. But permission or not. I hear that dialogue and it takes me out of the Sandman story a little because I'm just thinking... "Mort was a good book." Because lets be real here the ideas that made episode 6 were almost all lifted from Mort. Maybe the dialogue was Gaimen's way of admitting that but I still feel like at the very least you can't take the "stacking chairs" metaphor. That's too sacred. I made a face when I heard that.

Sanity Check

Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Quit Lord of the Rings (Rings of Power) and Game of Thrones (House of the Dragon) after the first few eps.

Not liking what they've done with either franchise.

Cobra Kai season 5 is great, thankfully.

Although if season 6 sucks, I won't be surprised.

🥋

gnut

Reaction score
Country
United States
Idk Sho-kan....
HotD is finally starting to get dramatic...those politics are heating up...