TV - The Television Show Thread | Page 91 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

TV The Television Show Thread

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been catching up on all the Marvel TV series now that one came out that seems interesting in the Loki one.

Wandavision was ok. It was different and I liked that about it but on it's own merits it was a little... boring. It often times felt to me like a rejected movie script they padded out into a TV show. It's a short show and they could have easily cut 3 episodes out with no impact.

Falcon and the Winter Solder so far, and I'm not far in, seems not good. It looks good and I always find Anthony Macky to be charismatic. The story just seems subpar. Maybe it will get better as I go though because I'm only a couple episodes in.

Loki though has been great so far. Owen Wilson and Tom Hiddleston are just so entertaining. It's a weird but fun story with more that almost Thor Ragnorok tone to it. Where it embraces the comic book weirdness. Big fan of that.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Wait, you actually watched it?

I didn't bother. It looks so horrendous.
I actually watched The Watch. Tried to go into it with an open mind and was gonna give it two episodes at least, before dismissing it completely… I forced myself through 15 minutes of the first episode before my body acted on its own accord and violently turned it off. It’s just as horrendous as it looks.

Faust

Artist
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Loki though has been great so far. Owen Wilson and Tom Hiddleston are just so entertaining. It's a weird but fun story with more that almost Thor Ragnorok tone to it. Where it embraces the comic book weirdness. Big fan of that.
Love the Blade Runner, Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse vibes on this episode :kreygasm

Last edited:

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, it's just great and keeps getting better.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Well, season one of Loki is done. I'd probably call it the best thing I've seen this year and by far the most interesting thing to be set in the marvel universe.

In fact I would say Loki is the best Doctor Who episode of all time.

FetherMan

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Loki: Season 1 - 8 / 10 :hip

This show is how I kinda of felt about with "WandaVision", the only difference was it's only 6 episodes with decent pacing. Not sure if, the pandemic is the reason for a lot of dialogue between two characters being carried out through the entire season. The final episode finally gets to the overall point of the series and why, everything exists the way it is. Then, there's the obvious set up for future projects in the MCU, so it's all fan-based and cool, but I just wish the shows were more fulfilling on their own and not just made to "set things up" for something better later.

Dr Death
- 9 / 10 :hip

The first show on the Peacock streaming service I actually enjoyed. Good to see, Joshua Jackson back on the screen in a role that really brings out his acting talents. This show is based on real life events and it's basically, House M.D. meets Dr. Giggles, only the doctor thinks he's being helpful in his practice and blinded by his gift in research and intelligence with medicine. Only 8 episodes and each one gets better towards the conclusion. If you get time to binge, I highly recommend it.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Holy shit.. that animation style... Did they really give the star wars license to Trigger?!:gwah

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire

@Ustegius How many times have you watched this trailer?
Just once. I don't want to over do it because it's just a episode per studio (mostly, I presume Trigger and Saru got 2 eps), so trailer of that length out to have most of the sweet stuff already in it.

But this is good idea from Disney. Teenaged Usts dreams coming true. Heard from previous teaser mini-doc that they have no obligations to stay canon or fit it anywhere on the timeline and pretty much free hands with the franchise. I'm expecting some wild stuff. Especially from Trigger, Kinema Citrus and Science Saru.

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Holy shit.. that animation style... Did they really give the star wars license to Trigger?!:gwah
Not sure which is weirder, Trigger working on this or the Cyberpunk series that's supposedly coming out next year

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
So much good TV going on right now. I got Wheel of Time, The Witcher, and this Hawkeye show which is turning out be pretty fun.

Though Wheel of the Time is the most interesting one to me right now. Just because I read the books and the adaptation is so weird. Like these prestige TV writers really can't let any opportunity go by to ratchet up drama or make things more horny. As a result I have this alternating sense of being horrified and entertained the whole time.

And I'm only a few episodes in but I'm liking Witcher season 2 more than season 1. The first episode adapted one of my favorites stories from the books and in general it's kept a better balance with the sorceress stuff.

z.5

Only Half Psychic
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Witcher Season 2 seems pretty good from 1st episode

Hate the acting in the WoT (but also loved the books)

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Witcher Season 2 seems pretty good from 1st episode

Hate the acting in the WoT (but also loved the books)
I'm ok with the acting but there are some pretty weird decisions in there.

They cut pretty much all of Rand's content and put a bunch of dramatic filler in there for everybody else. Like Perrin having a wife, then killing before mentioned wife. Or Mat having siblings or stuff about his dad or Mat leaving the group.. All the sex scenes including the Moraine X Suan lesbian stuff. Then the eye of the world being the same as dark ones prison, which... that's not going to make sense.

I feel like the guy who is playing Rand got sort of a raw deal for most of this season because..

A: They cut all the Rand content after the first episode.
B: He looks sort of like Hayden Christensen which immediately triggers everybody's prequel PTSD.

Also maybe if you're going to have a bunch of gratuitous nude scenes. Don't cast Rosamund Pike in that role. Who may be a wonderful person but, unfortunately, looks a full decade older than she actually is. That was a bit of a bold move.

ninjabot

Reaction score
Country
United States
I read the first Wheel of Time book over the summer. Bought the first 3 books in a bundle and had no idea the show was coming. And yeah, it's hard not to bristle at the changes from Book 1 alone, but I'm still enjoying myself a lot. Waiting to binge Hawkeye though.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
As much as it bristles me too sometimes, I'm still enjoying it very much. It actually makes me want to reread the WoT. It's sitting on my shelf so that may be something I try to do.

Hawkeye is just fun. It's actually very Christmas-y. Which may play into when you should consider watching it. A lot of the soundtrack is great Christmas music and it's just a collection of likable characters. The girl who's playing Kate Bishop is incredibly charismatic too. She plays the character in an enthusiastic way that make's her so immediately likable.

Last edited:

gnut

Reaction score
Country
United States
WoT I'm digging it...but it's frustrating how it sets up another level of intrigue and then takes a step back...just look at how newest episode started then how it ended....

Plus my man Perry aint getting showcased like all the others...fuk when will he wolf out lol

Hawkeye is cool that it's using Clint to introduce a bunch of cool female human heros....like Nat....sorry not much of a spoiler but incentive to watch to see xD

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
The best character in Wheel of Time is..

..Mat. 100 times out of 100. Let the dice roll!

The other two aren't far behind in their own way. Though poor Perrin is pretty mediocre until his true wife shows up and drags him kicking and screaming to greatness.

The worst character now and forever shall be Egwene. Feel like the show is doing a good job of capturing her unlikablity. Not sure if it's intentional or not but, if it is, good job by them.

gnut

Reaction score
Country
United States
You guys catch Hit Monkey and Super Crooks....I thought both were good watches.

Highly anticipating The Boys S3 snd Invincible S2