Year Round - The Tennis Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Year Round The Tennis Thread

rtyd1

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just noticed we dont have a thread for tennis so i decided to create one, i hope some people post on this unlike the snooker one.
The Rome masters has started,
Draw here http://www.atptennis.com/en/common/T...08/416/mds.pdf
Live scores here http://tennis.com/livescores/index.aspx

I'm backing Federer to win this won since Nadal is going to be tired after playing Monte Carlo and Barca back to back. For a dark horse winner id go for David Ferrer who took Nadal to 3 sets in Barca and should have taken hime to 3 in Monte Carlo

None of my predictions have come true and Novak Djokovic and Stanislas Wawrinka (the swiss number two and as of now the world number 10) in the final which means Rome will have a first time champion.
If you have been watching Rome and know of all the retirements going on during the week then feel free to diccus the hectic ATP schedule and predict who will be the first to retire in the final, my guess in on Djokovic due to all his high profile retirements over the past two years

No one quit in the final and Djokovic took the match 4-6 6-3 6-3 to win his tenth career title and his third this year.
Come on someone make a post so i dont have to talk to myself

Last edited:

SoulReaporKoul

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Re: The Tennis Thread

Now you're not talking to yourself :D.

I would have thought that with PoT's popularity it would have made more people start getting into Tennis, guess I was wrong.

Anyway, I'm kinda pissed that Novak won, actually, I mean it's quite an accomplishment to win 4 ATP Masters Series (but still behind Federer by like 10 I think?) at his age, but I just don't like that guy (partly because he achieved so much with being just 1 year older than me, and partly because I paid to watch the Montreal Masters hoping to see Federer win LIVE).

I was actually hoping Nadal with win (Top 3 fav players now: 1) Federer 2) Nadal 3) Roddick, Ok, I know you're wondering how can I like BOTH Federer and Nadal? well, that's because without one, the other wouldn't be as great and the Tennis itself would suffer immensely if either of these two men vanished, wow.. that was a lot more prophetic and deep than I wanted it to be), because I both like him and I would have loved to see him win the Rome Masters 4 years in a row AND it's on clay, Nadal's playground.

I'm actually quite pissed now as I'm not quite keeping up with Tennis as I used to, mostly due to me moving to a new place that DOESN'T have cable as part of rent and so I have no TV and sport channels, so I end up just reading results, which isn't quite as fun as having Federer schooling opponents (I LOVED the US Open Finals match, I'm pretty sure he couldn't have planned it, but the way it played out with Federer continually coming back from 5 - 2 t'ill winning 6 - 7 felt like he was telling Novak, "I could have beaten you any time I wanted to, but simply chose not to").

Now that Rome is over, on to Hamburg Germany, and then FRENCH OPEN, hopefully Federer will get out of his slump this year.

rtyd1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Hamburg Masters Series draw here http://www.atptennis.com/en/common/.../www.atptennis.com/1/posting/2008/414/mds.pdf
Nalbandian, Gonzalez, Hewitt, Ferrero, Baghdatis and Haas are officially out. Roddick withdrawn as well after the draw. Nadal and Djokovic are in the same half of the draw so could play each other in the semis. There´s a potential Federer Ferrer QF an a Federer-Davydenko in the SF.
Again ill go with Federer since he has the easier draw and Djokovic will be tired after winning Rome and Nadal wont be fully fit on account of his blisters.

Theres nothing wrong with liking both Federer and Nadal, i do too. They tend to bring out the best in each other (Rome 06 and Wimbledon 07) and are humble. I would say Gasquet is my favourite player to watch since he has an incredible backhand among other things

French Open draw is out http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/scores/draws/ms/index.html
Djokovic - Nadal and Davydenko Federer semis like last year
Nadal Has a potential QF clash with Nalbandian
Fed has a potential QF with Wawrinka, a 3rd round vs Seppi and 4th vs Monaco

Last edited:

KnuckleheadedNinja

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria

So the French Final is going to be: Nadal vs. Federar. I'm picking Federer to win his first french open.

hatsuharupeace

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Australia

Hmm.. I think Nadal will beat Federer again, his form has been pretty good as of late. Beating Djokovic isn't that easy, while Federer had a tough time against Monfils.

I say Nadal beating Federer.... 6-4 7-5 4-6 6-3.

rtyd1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Federer season has been built around taking his 1st french open title but with Nadal playing him on clay its going to take his very best. My head says Nadal in four with Fed taking the first set 6-3

Djokovic played poorly in the 1st two sets and has been below par for most this tounament while Monfils played an amazing aggressive game which he is not known for in the last three sets against fed. If monfils played djokovic that day he would have had a great chance of beating him since his defence on clay is up there with Nadal and Federer's

sk.nite

Banned
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Argentina

Wellm since nobody has commented on this I'll do it. Federer got a giant can of whoop ass this time against Nadal. I'm not entirely sure, but I think that this was his worst defeat since he's #1. And as much as I hate Nadal (I wish he broke both arms and legs. Yeah, that much =) ) I've got to recognize he's unbeatable in clay. Djokovic showed that he's still at a different level tham those two.

Lelo

Reaction score
Country
Lebanon

why cant Federer win on clay against Nadal, at least come close. He got killed

KnuckleheadedNinja

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria

Nadal just won his first title on grass.

Lelo

Reaction score
Country
Lebanon

I hate Nadal, he is such a hot shot, but he is pretty good with a racket

KnuckleheadedNinja

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria

I'm picking Federar to win his 6th wimbeldon.

Santho

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
India

I'm tired of seeing Federer win.It's so boring.Hope Nadal wins this time.After watching last year's really close final,and the way Fedex has been playing this year,there is a good chance for Rafa to show his true potent.,now that Djokovic's been knocked out(pretty surprising)

KnuckleheadedNinja

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria

^^ i don't mind Federer win all the time, i want him to win every time. Also on the women side the No. 1 seed Ivanovic is out.

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I cried when Ivanovic was knocked out, I thought she would at least get into the second week...but oh well

as for federer and nadal final, it's increasingly becoming apparent that they are gonan meet...I hope for the love of God that Federer wins but last year's final showed us that Nadal has improved exponentially on grass since he began, he pushed Federer to the end and only lost coz Federer had such a fantastic serve percentage. But this year will be different, because they are both playing so well til now, but my money's still on the Fedex to take it home

KnuckleheadedNinja

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria

The finals are going to be:
Nadal vs Federar again(i hope Federar win, again)
S. Williams vs. V. Willians, the Williams sister are back(i hope Serena win)

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

NO!!!! FEDERER!!!! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!!!???

no, but it was an amazing match from a neutral point of view, I still can't believe he lost though, has anybody realised that he hasn't won a grand slam nor a masters championship this year? damn it federer!!!

PS: THE WILLIAMS SISTERS ARE BACK!!!

KnuckleheadedNinja

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria

^^Yeah, Nadal vs. Federer was one for the ages. But i still can't believe he lost either. I thought he was going to win.

Ghetto_Kid

Banned
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

i was really disappointed to see the fed-express loose but, i was still kinda happy to rafa win because he deserved it...... moving on, i have no idea of what is happening to federer lately he just lost to gil simon that french twat, i don't think cum the end of the season he will remain as number 1, i think since loosing to djokovic in australia really messed him up, aalthough even afterwards he didnt play that bad against nadal in the clay finals, but i reckon he's lost faith in himself.

Gecko Moria

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
New Zealand

out with the old and in with the new would be appropriate here. federer seems to be getting worse and worse hes not even making it into the finals now...

blai

Corporate
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Sweden

F*cking wicked game last night. Soderling played awesome! Though I'm afraid he've already used his A-game and will have a rough time vs Davydenko who played calm and steady last night vs Verdasco (even though idk wth Verdasco was doing the 2 first sets)

Hope it'll be a game worth remembering tomorrow! Awesome, aaand i have the day off as well.. great!