Discussion - Things your tired of. | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Things your tired of.

WILDCARD 1 7

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Basically things you wish Oda would stop doing are at least tone down.
Cuz as much as I love this manga it not perfect. Like for example I'm really getting tired of rescue missions every single arc. I'm not talking about those save all the citizens ones but those save Momo, save Law, save Sanji EVERY SINGLE ARC theirs that one character we got to go out of are way to save. Some times it works really well like the whole wedding on WC that was great. But most of the time I think it gets in the way and thier for the sake of it. Oda needs to stop doing them every single arc (I know he's not).

Of course these are just opinions for you to air it and this thread is made just because I am bored and wanted too that is all. Not a hate thread so post a way.

Last edited:

Cortes

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
People being a dark shadow until the SH themselves interact with them. For Inu and the monster forms of the Five Elders I can understand to a degree but what was the point of the doing that with Oden?

Rescue Missions as OP already said.

The overall pacing seems to have slowed down. Wano was taking way too long in the end and I also think we have been wasting too much time on non-SH stuff lately. Though that might be because I care little for non-Vivi stuff outside of Egghead.

Uriel

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Pacing, mostly.

Sometimes I feel we have plot twists for the sake of it. I mean I love as everyone else some of the surprises we had, but I don't need to wait EVERY TIME for a reveal.

And I miss more fun adventures, everything scaled to such epic tales that I feel we have no time for things that are silly and fun. And now thanks to G5, when it's silly it's OP which I particularly dislike.

WILDCARD 1 7

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Something I also wish Oda would 🛑 with is what is basically the Nami clones and I mean this in two ways.
1. History wise they all have some deep dark secret or past that is connected to the bigger plot that's going to lead us into some very big moment with the villain Arlong, Crocodile, CP9, and Doflamingo just to name a few. And I'm going to bet if the villain of the next arc is going to some how somehow someway have too do with Bonnie. Like this is really getting old.

2. Design-wise every girl looks like Nami. Like I guarantee you if you put Rebecca right next to Nami you wouldn't know the difference in manga. Look I get Oda wants to draw attractive women and I do like them. But he should stop drawing every woman the exact same way with the only difference being height and hair color. Or at the very least put some muscle on on their arms.

Also I'm getting tired of the cry-baby finds their courage trope. I feel where get that from are secondary characters too much. I mean it's fine for them to be afraid of what's going on but there's a difference between that and being the crybaby it gets annoying.

And I wish Odo would shorten luffy's fights cause they are going on way to long now.

Last edited:

DeadlyBeast

Reaction score
Country
United States
If I were to list mine in order they'd be:
  1. Pacing needs to be better. By better I want it to be more consistent and to be decent speed without going too slow (for no reason) but not going so fast that we just cut to the end. I think best pacing was in earlier arcs where there weren't too many characters.
  2. Finding balance in how new characters are introduced. Oda tends to introduce dozens of new characters at once in a given arc and feels he must give them all some spotlight, resulting in poor showing for all of them. I want Oda to feel free to introduce lots of new characters as background without having to give them attention so characters that matter can continue receiving the attention.
  3. Countdowns. I'm tired of Oda having these nonsensical countdowns as a way to create tension. If Oda wants tension the best way is to create it organically so its actually engaging. Having an actual "bomb" (or something similar) every single arc where we know it doesn't matter just takes up panel and story time.
  4. Constantly running around. I think too much time in each arc is spent with characters just running. Like come on we don't need to see characters commute from point A to B. Just say they ran after they arrive and I'll believe it.
  5. Ditto with the constant rescuing of individuals or even saving of countries. They are pirates, how about an arc that's focused on them just progressing on their journey or finding treasure etc. Why does someone have to be suffering and need rescue every single arc. Can we have an arc that's more of a positive healthy competition among pirates (without it necessarily having to be silly like Foxy pirates).

catagon87

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Giving characters ridiculous heights for no reason.
It wouldn't even bother me if it weren't for it being so inconsistent. For instance, Katakuri is 509cm, and Luffy is 172cm. What does Katakuri being over 16 feet tall do for the plot? Not only that but if you read / watch the fight, he is clearly not consistently 3x larger than Luffy. I also feel like it gives the actual giants in One Piece a lot less meaning.

WILDCARD 1 7

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
5. Ditto with the constant rescuing of individuals or even saving of countries. They are pirates, how about an arc that's focused on them just progressing on their journey or finding treasure etc. Why does someone have to be suffering and need rescue every single arc. Can we have an arc that's more of a positive healthy competition among pirates (without it necessarily having to be silly like Foxy pirates).
Honestly this what I hope for when Shanks and Luffy fight. No whole Island is about to be destroyed but I just know that Oda will add something like that, not from Shanks (unless doing a fake out to get Luffy to real fight him seriously). Like Imu deciding to 🪓 Elbaf or where ever their at, or one of the natives deciding to do something stupid.

Last edited:

DeadlyBeast

Reaction score
Country
United States
Honestly this what I hope for when Shanks and Luffy fight. No whole Island is about to be destroyed but I just know that Oda will add something like that, not from Shanks (unless doing a fake out to get Luffy to real fight him seriously). Like Imu deciding to 🪓 Elbaf or where ever their at, or one of the natives deciding to do something stupid.
Yeah I would love for it to be a good fight like we saw with Roger and WB pirates, except in this case I'd want us to be able to see the fights. It would be great if the fight ends up being Shanks passing the torch fully to Luffy, a process he started when he first gave Luffy the hat.

No need for any idle threats, people in danger that need saving etc. Just a fight among pirates who respect each other and are fighting for pride/ambition.

WILDCARD 1 7

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Speaking of death I'm really getting tired character resurrections though this is more toward fiction in general. I mean some add nothing to the story and others of them just flat out break it for a brief emotional payoff versus logistical consistency. You know which ones I'm talking about. And it's really hard to get invested when death doesn't mean much.

And the Cowardly trios (Nami, Ussop, and Choppers) antics can get really annoying really fast when it being too cowardly. I'm looking at you specifically Ussop.

Last edited:

AldarionTelcontar

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Croatia
People "dying" only to then miraculously survive.

Either kill them or don't... this teasing gets boring after a while. I mean, very few people die in D.Gray Man but that doesn't detract from the quality of the series. We don't need deaths for series to be emotionally involving, especially if they are just going to be reversed later on by plot.

TitaniumOxide

Reaction score
Country
United States
I used to be tired of people complaining about "long boring flashbacks"

hokageji

Reaction score
Country
United States
i actually like flashbacks. I dont think there's a single flashback i've hated. If not for WB and Roger, Oden's would be close but it was still necessary and in the end, well done.

TitaniumOxide

Reaction score
Country
United States
i actually like flashbacks. I dont think there's a single flashback i've hated. If not for WB and Roger, Oden's would be close but it was still necessary and in the end, well done.
I share that thought dude except I rly liked Oden's uhh... gaiden. His was sad/good enough to qualify him for a spot on the SH ship.

Can some flashbacks be condensed and be shorter? Yes
Are they still awesome even if lengthy? Yes
Do they add a ton of substance to the plot and story? Yes
Will I ever get tired of them in OP? No.

Luke Beifong

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I really don’t like the trope of the false deaths and man, how I miss the Straw Hats. I love the world building in OP but I love the SH. Oda can focus a little more on them and less in others things. Usopp and Chopper never fight again. Franky, Robin, Brook, Nami… All of them are in the shadows and only appears for a few panels… Sanji is only a gag and Zoro serves just a fighter. I really see the SH fighting BB anymore. Aside from the big fighters, the rest of the crew really lack the strength to fight anyone now.

hokageji

Reaction score
Country
United States
World building hasn't been as interesting since the timeskip. Fishmen island was interesting, but since then nothing in the new world has seemed as impressive as paradise. Egghead does come close, and i hope to see some strawhats get some upgrades, specially the likes of Usopp and Franky.

Ziad

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Egypt
This is one of the most threads I've been waiting for a longtime.. let me cry out loud few of things.
(I LOVE onepiece but there are things that need to be reviewed and I will state many of them).

-HYPE HYPE HYPE and rapidly DE-HYPE! BigMom is the biggest victim of that pattern and Kaido .. Yonkous are supposed to be massively powerful Oda surrounded them with HYPE and later he made a joke of these hyped characters and destroy them..

-The clash of haki.. the lightening and the squeaky sound that comes out of it.. is one of the worst effects that he came up with.. the WORST idea and it is just stupid!

-Luffy and his annoying plot armor and how he is undefeated at almost every fight he take on, oda keep creating plot armor for him because he is the main protagonist ..people jump out of nowhere to help him... new power up.. new devil fruit and the latest one was the most ridiculous.

-Why every strong character LUFFY has to defeat him? Why not shanks? why not marines? why not akainu? why not CP-0? why not dragon and revolutioners? why Luffy has to be the one who defeat everyone? I mean we've never seen two strong characters clash like shanks vs BB or Kaido vs Shanks or Kaido vs BB

-Although gorosei mentions that Kaido is one of the few that capable of stopping BB, Oda insists not to make a fight between them and LUFFY has to take care of everyone in the world..

-The new voice actor of bigmom put an end to watch anime and the new animation as well. (I don't know why they praise it I prefer the marineford and old animation).

-NO DEATH in one piece.

-LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG arcs that can be completed in SHOOOOOOOOOOOORT time.
Oda has to make everyone scream and cry for 6 to 10 chapters.

-everyone fights against luffy has to be nerfed.

-We need to see some strong characters clash with eachother... Kizaru vs BB.. etc