Favorites - Top 5 Favorite Matches in the Series? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Favorites Top 5 Favorite Matches in the Series?

Atobe the king

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure this topic hasn't been made yet..i'll have to search later.

Basically what were your favorite matches?

You can use the anime too but none of the anime only matches were really that good imo..

1-Sanada VS Echizen
-Definition of playing out of your mind..it was Ryoma's first real match since Akutsu...he started strong and was immediately put in has place..was on the verge of being breadsticked..and then using Sanada's own techniques makes and epic comeback...i loved his attacking style in the match and wish the damn anime followed the manga.

2-Atobe VS Echizen
-The first really talented non-aura user giving mr. broken a run for his money and pwning his Muga Blitz with his own artificial Muga blitz.

Also...see Avatar and user name.

3-Sanada VS Tezuka
-Probably one of the most unrealistic matches in the series but it had everything you need for a good match

oh..and Rai pwns.

4-Echizen VS Akutsu
-Ryoma's first real test...againstly a beastly prodigy of an opponent..emphasizing that strategy bests raw talent in tennis.

5-Fuji VS Shiraishi
-I was on another PoT forum where everyone hated Ryoma and Loved Fuji...could never understand what the appeal was..if it was looks then a good amount of characters pwn him in that regard too.

Watching Fuji get smacked for his passive unmotivated play was sweet too. His come back was silly..but he deservedly lost in the end.

Oh and Shiraishi pwns.

Last edited by a moderator:

KuwabaraTheMan

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: Top 5 Favorite Matches in the Series (part 1)?

1. Ryoma vs Atobe:
Definitely the best match in the series. It was exciting from start to finish, with tons of amazing moments. Both characters gave it their all, and even though we knew Ryoma would win, Atobe put in an amazing effort.

2. Tezuka vs Sanada:
Another great match, and one which was a lot less predictable since it was the very first. This match also made me a fan of Sanada after not really caring about him previously. Both characters were really developed throughout the match.

3. Tezuka vs Kabaji:
Completely over the top, but that's why I loved it. Neither character wanted to yield an inch, and both of them played their minds out.

4. Fuji vs Shiraishi:
Agreed about Fuji getting what he deserves. I only wish that he had never even gotten back as close as he did. Shiraishi's play style was really great to watch, too.

5. Momoshiro/Kaidoh vs Koharu/Yuuji:
I imagine this will be an unpopular pick, but it was my favorite doubles match in the series. It was completely ridiculous and over the top, but that just made all the more enjoyable. Both pairs were using every trick in the book, plus some new ones, and it was awesome to see Momoshiro in full trickster mode coming up with the path to victory. The whole match was just ridiculously fun.

Bowser

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Yanagi + Kirihara vs Inui + Kaidoh
Total mind rape.

Golden Pair vs Niou + Yagyuu
Bastard Niou lol

Fuji vs Niou
Wow.

Kawamura vs Gin
The way it ended....bwahahaha

Momoshiro/Kaidoh vs Atushi + Dane
"What about him?" *Points at Momo*
"No way! That guy is dangerous! I heard last week in a match against St Rudolph...he killed someone"

Ones that come into my mind in no particular order.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany

1. Sanada vs Tezuka

It was completly crazy, both played to their fullest, simply amazing.
For me, the best match so far.

2. Fuji vs Shiraishi

I really liked the way everything turned out, with Shiraishi overwhelming Fuji in the beginning, the evolved counters and Fuji's close loss in the end.

3. Atobe vs Tezuka

I can't say much. It was simply a great match.

4. Nioh/Yagyuu vs Oishi/Kikumaru

At the point Nioh and Yagyuu revealed their trick, I nearly fell of my chair and this alone gives this match a spot in my Top 5.

5. Inui vs Renji

This match was incredible. Data against Data, the abandoning of data, the comeback using secret data. Great.

Sai

THE MH FOODIE
Tech
Reaction score
Country
Earth Kindom

1) Ryoma vs. Atobe
- Simply a great match that showed why Atobe is a truly top tier player who doesn't need to rely on a aura or anything.

2) Tezuka vs. Atobe
-Still one of the best matches from earlier on in the series. THis was the first match to truly stand out in the series. Plus this is the match Atobe unleashed his whole "Ore-sama no Bigi ni Yoi na!" line

3) Ryoma vs Sanada
- Just a great match. I would have ranked it higher if Sanada actually won. I think at this point in the series, Seigaku needed a loss and that would have built up the National Finals even more.

4) Fuji Vs Kirihara
- Awesome match. First one to really push Fuji.

5) Inui vs. Renji
- One of the few glimpses we get to see of Inui being a truly badass player. Too bad he usually gets demoted to comedic relief. I really hope he comes back in a blaze of glory

Fayte

Reaction score
Country
United States

1) Echizen vs Sanada
-I have yet to see a match that tops this one. The build up in the Kantou tournament to see what Sanada was capable of certainly didn't let anybody down when this match actually came up. Combined with the ruthless and sometimes sadistic personality of Sanada really made him the final boss of Kantou. Like Sai said, I think the series would have been way better if Seigaku got destroyed by Rikkaidai in Kantou. To be honest, it would have really put Rikkaidai's skill levels where it should be.

2) Fuji vs Shiraishi
-The second I saw how much Shiraishi looked and acted like me, I was like "I know he is going to be a beast." He certainly lived up to my expectations in this match.

3) Sanada vs Tezuka
-I don't know what was better, the match, or me getting proven right when I said Sanada would beat Tezuka in a match.

4) Tachibana vs Chitose
-I really enjoyed watching this match. Two great players going at it, and the first time you see what Chitose is capable of.

5) Niou/Yagyuu or Bunta/Jackal (Kantou)
-For someone who thought doubles matches were so lame in this series, these two made me stand corrected. The first time I saw Bunta play I was like "Okay, they are not beating that kid. He is hardcore." Then it was followed up by the bizarre tactics of Niou and Yagyuu. It was just beastly.

Sherlock Holmes

Reaction score
Country
Canada

1)Yagyuu+Niou vs The Golden Pair.
It was THAT PAGE. The one where Niou not only reveals his trick, but does it so with an arrogant smirk on his face. He is badass. It was the ultimate mind raping achieved in the manga.
2)Kirihara vs Krauser
VERY short match. But it had crucifixions and demons. Can you ask for more?
3)Niou vs Fuji
It proved that Rikkai REALLY IS THAT BROKEN. Niou got really close to Fuji through sheer mind raping.
4)Shiraishi vs Fuji.
Again, one of those "He's freaking awesome. Too bad he can't win against that g...HE WON? REALLY? HAHAHAHAH GO SHIRAISHI!"
5)Atobe vs Tezuka
I love arrogant bastards. Because I am one as well. Seeing Atobe, the bastard of the bastards, fight AND WIN against TEZUKA was awesome. I was rooting for him the whole time, but didn't actually expect him to win.

My favorite matches in part 2 so far are:

1)Atobe vs Hiyoshi
I hated Hiyoshi. Then I watched this match. Now I am his fan. It was THAT GOOD.
2)Niou vs Yagyuu
How, just how is it that the third Rikkai demon is Renji not those two? They are both insanely awesome.
3)Momo vs Oni
Yeah, Momo went all Zoro on Oni. But still, he was cool.

javimgol

Reaction score
Country
Spain

Well, it's really complicated, but...

1. Sanada VS Tezuka.
A pure show. Rai, In, Tezuka Phantom, Zero Shiki Serve. First Tezuka's and later Sanada's comebacks were really great. Sanada's final shout was really touching.

2. Fuji VS Nioh
Two chacters that had evolved a lot. Seigaku in the limit, losing 2-0. Nioh showing why, IMAO, he can beat EVERYONE in PoT. Yes, everyone. And then, the wind appears...and Hoshi Hanabi. Wow.

3. Golden Pair VS Silver Pair
Well, I love doubles. And that's best doubles match. If we could have seen a true Bunta & Jackal VS Golden Pair, that match could have been better (remeber, Golden Pair was toying with them until Ryoma's recuperation!).
Australian Formation VS Mirage, two ways of understand doubles...and Synchro

4. Atobe VS Ryoma
Two masters of mind raping. Two awesome characters. Two of my favourite players.True Atobe's style.Nanjiroh Zone...defeated by insight. Ice World. And why only numer 4? Because Atobe deserved to have won. Yeah, Ryoma's victory was sure because he is the main character. But Atobe, like Sanada before, give the kid a good lesson.

5. Golden Pair VS The Gentleman and The Trickster
A real doubles match. The grow of Kikumaru. The confirmation of who is the best doubles player thanks to a skill simple, real, effective and that could even be used in real life: Oishi Territory.
And of course, the lesson of "How to Mind Rape Your Opponent":p

Sea Dragon

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

Hmm... shame that I hated the match between Yuki and Echizen. They're my top two favorite players from PoT.

1. Atobe vs. Echizen - The match started with a bang (laughing in sync) and ended with a bang (Atobe, fainting and getting his hair shaved off). Very interesting and dramatic.

2. Fuji vs. Shiraishi - It gave me immense satisfaction to see Fuji lose. Not that I hate him, I actually like him a lot, but he gets even more room for development. Plus, I loved watching Shiraishi's playstyle. Very graceful.

3. Atobe vs. Tezuka - Very suspenseful and very touching at times. Also, Atobe's ego is very entertaining to watch.

4. Sanada vs. Tezuka - I loved the flashbacks, and I loved Sanada's new moves. I loved how they were both pushed to their limits. The only thing about this match that I disliked is Tezuka's recurring arm issues. You thought it was gone and it comes back. To some extent it makes you feel unsatisfied: "If that stupid senior didn't hit Tezuka's arm, Tezuka could have won..." "If this, if that..."

5. Bunta/Jackal vs. Momo/Kaidou - Lol, a match that seems to have come out of the blue, but I really enjoyed this match. I've watched this match the most out of any PoT match. I think it's because of a connection with real life. I really enjoy watching Bunta volley away, and as I do, I daydream about playing doubles like that in real life. Also, I like Bunta a lot, and this is... the only episode in which he actually WINS. Normally I hate it when one of my favorite characters loses... With the exception of Fuji vs. Shiraishi, it seems...

Atobe the king

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States

Hmm... shame that I hated the match between Yuki and Echizen. They're my top two favorite players from PoT.
Match was great...conclusion was not lol..that's why its not in my faves despite me being gay for Yukimura.

Sea Dragon

Reaction score
Country
United States

Match was great...conclusion was not lol..that's why its not in my faves despite me being gay for Yukimura.
Haha, yeah... I mean, when I said "I hated" I meant I hated the ending... I've watched the first half of the match a few times but I've always stopped at the point where Echizen unlocks PoP.

Atobe the king

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States

I see...that wasn't the weak part for me..it's that nothing was shown of PoP besides light speed serves and returns..

I expected us to show him giving Yuki YIPS type syndromes since all HIS balls were coming back as opposed to before.

The ova did it justice though.

Sea Dragon

Reaction score
Country
United States

Lol - the only reason I hated the PoP part was because of my fangirl-ish self. Yuki's my favorite character - I despised seeing him lose, and I loved the match up until the point where Yuki started losing.

Anyhow, I'm sure Konomi wanted to keep the match plain and simple so that there would be room for development in his new sequel.

Atobe the king

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States

Oh i get it now....well Yuki had to lose he was the big bad boss lol..

DavenSodan

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany

1. Atobe vs Tezuka
In the manga as well in the Anime: great match! It was tactical, long, well written with good character development and the frist crazy Tiebreaker. In addition not much unrealistic shots were used. Also that Tezuka actually lost made me love it even more.

2. Fuji vs Kirihara
Just one word: Unbelievable. First Fuji leads, then goes blind, then plays Tennis even better that way, then Kiriahara uses noises and activates Muga at match point Fuji... I still wonder why Fuji was so passive against Shirashi after this match, though.

3. Shirashi vs Fuji
I loved how Shirashi owned him at the beginning. And then his Final Counter thing. Never waited so desperatly for a new chapter. And Fujis comeback was good, after all, because a close lose even though you give it all lies WAY heavier on your mind than a quick 0-6, where you can always say "hey, I did nothing wrong, he was just better"

4.Momo vs Oshitari
I like it because there we get to see a new way of winning matches by using the sun, the wind, shadows, enviorment etc. for PoT standards it was quiet refreshing. And I loved the Pokerface thing combined with the "Man of the 1000" techniques.

5. Golden Pair vs. Silver Pair
First real match that were really really close the whole time. No comeback till 3-6 in the Tiebreak for Seigaku.

Top for Part 2:
1. Oni vs Momo
As I can remember the frist match were someone of Seigaku was beaten all the way down, really scoring no point, making NO comeback. Of course we have Tezuka/Echizen or FujiKawamura/PrefacturalFinalsteam (forgot the name), but there we did not see much.

2. Sanada vs Yukimura
I was "oh, so that is how you return Rai..." I wondered all the time till then. Also the end was as it should be.

Bowser

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

1)Atobe vs Hiyoshi
I hated Hiyoshi. Then I watched this match. Now I am his fan. It was THAT GOOD.
You only liked it cuz u predicted the scored correctly! 47-45!

My fav in part 2 though...

Renji vs Kirihara
Forget about returning 212kmh Waterfall, he returned a freaking Devil Knuckle Serve!!!

Krauser vs Richard
Short lived but....the ending was brilliant.

Krauser is my second favourite character now xD

Hirakoba vs Higashitaka
We didn't even get to see the match xD...go go Rin!

Sherlock Holmes

Reaction score
Country
Canada

You only liked it cuz u predicted the scored correctly! 47-45!
...Can you blame me? haha.

jelome1989

Reaction score
Country
Philippines

Here's mine. I ranked it by how well it was directed (anime).

1. Atobe vs. Tezuka
It was Atobe and Tezuka's 1st big match in the anime. The direction of the match is awesome. Very well done.

2. Echizen vs. Akutsu
Akutsu is one of my fav characters. (Loved the soundtrack used here, really really)
Again, the anime did well here (i wonder who the director is).

3. Momo/Kawamura vs. 'David'/Kurobane (ep 93)
Dash Hadokyou pawns.

4. Sanada vs. Tezuka
There is no dull moment.

5. Inui vs. Yanagi
Inui is also one of my fav characters, and former partner Yanagi is just the right opponent for Inui.

-Ken-

Reaction score
Country
Thailand

1. Echizen VS Atobe
Coolest match in my opinion. It’s just awesome.
2. Fuji VS Shiraishi
First time seeing Fuji loses. He’s my favourite character, but the way he invent the 5th counter is very cool. I don’t feel as excited when he announce the 6th counter because he done it before.
3. Inui VS Renji
My favourite match of Kantou final, don’t know why. Sanada vs Echizen would make it here if Yukimura didn’t mention things like Sanada ‘sealing’ his technique. My liking for that match just drop way down.
4. Tezuka VS Sanada
Tezuka phantom is just plain cool. I still think to this day that Tezuka should have won the match because he manage to put spin on the ball through. I don’t really like the way that Sanada win by shouting, just not make sense at all, unless his roar has enough shock wave or something like that to be enough to move the ball, in which case he should do it more often. But despite the ending, the match itself is great.
5. Momoshiro + Kaidou VS gay pair
I just like this one because of Momoshiro being a great trickster. Not much to say.

Jyten

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

I guess I should finally put mine down..

1) Sanada vs Echizen Anime style...I know its anime filler but it was SO FREAKING AWESOME to watch Echizen get pounded by Sanada. Made the whole anime series worth watchin. :) Little arrogant pipsqueak needed a firm spanking at least once in this series.

The rest simply because I have to fill 4 more spots...

2) Inui vs Renji
3) Taka vs Kabaji
4) Kikimaru vs Kai
5) Atobe vs Tezuka