Hangout - Tournament General Discussion/Hangout Thread | Page 9 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Hangout Tournament General Discussion/Hangout Thread

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Still leaning towards =, as stated in my post and going off what current Natsu has shown. Speculation has no weight in discussion And declaring he can use DF half-way through the tournament, but having to leave it "up to our speculations" is already infringing on limitations of certain other characters.
As for the Dragon Force declaration, I'd like to point out that we did have things written in the thread regarding rules and info etc. that characters who had shown Dragon Force etc. could use it, so I think the issue with that was that maybe there wasn't enough emphasis on people reading the info page so they had everything straight before they jumped in as it seemed like most of the complaints here were from people who didn't read it. Everyone does make mistakes though :P
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Lol I think I've seen some funny fan art with Natsu as a girl dressed like Lucy :)

But we all know Bradish μ of Alvarez will win best female character, with her coat on. Without her coat she stomps.
Don't forget my girls Ultear and Kagura man. Ultear has all those assets ( :P ) that really grab your attention and Kagura is a great grill as well (best portrayed in my Jegura fanfic which I need to get back to writing sometime xD) with that Kimono and all.

Jean Grey

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Croatia
Natsu with DF is waaaaaaaaaay to OP. it should have been banned. Natsu with DF can stomp pretty much everyone with low diff. the only thing that can defeat him is probably Abyss Break and Fairy Law but it takes time to charge those attacks.

Last edited:

Doughboy

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
if we're talking battling of pure strength Jellal should win cause he's Wizard Saint level. But Natsu has DF, FKDM, LFDM etc. I'll take Natsu getting smacked up alot before finishing Jellal off like how he did in the ToH arc, something like that would be fair

Kiki

Ruin me, Ruan Mei
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
Lol I think I've seen some funny fan art with Natsu as a girl dressed like Lucy :)

But we all know Bradish μ of Alvarez will win best female character, with her coat on. Without her coat she stomps.
Don't forget my girls Ultear and Kagura man. Ultear has all those assets ( :P ) that really grab your attention and Kagura is a great grill as well (best portrayed in my Jegura fanfic which I need to get back to writing sometime xD) with that Kimono and all.
I am giggling right now.

Brandish? Ultear? Kagura? I feel like I am in heaven.

Beware of the newcomer, Irene Belserion.

Ebony Maw

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Sunspear
Are we doing another tournament after the "stars" competition? If so I think the rules need reviewing as there's a rule that's giving a character an unfair advantage and I think there are other rules that could be reworded or changed for fairness and simplicity sake.

Beefcakes

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
How about mah boi Laxus for Best Male this time around? He may have his worthy rivals in the battlefield, but he'll surely stomp here.

As they say, all bets are off when the coats come off. Dem muscles, tho. Got enough manliness in them to (literally) power a country for ages.

:datass

Rain Cloud

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
For future scenarios/tournaments, I've set up a poll regarding whether or not God Serena can eat Natsu's flames.
It's still on-going (Well I can't post the link for some reason), but as of right now 20 people say yes, 1 person says no and the polls only just started. I think that is quite unanimous to be considered that we change the rules in that case, that all God Slayers, Dragon Slayers, and Devil Slayers can eat the same element of their respective slayer types for future tournaments.

Ebony Maw

Reaction score
Country
Sunspear
How about mah boi Laxus for Best Male this time around? He may have his worthy rivals in the battlefield, but he'll surely stomp here.

As they say, all bets are off when the coats come off. Dem muscles, tho. Got enough manliness in them to (literally) power a country for ages.

:datass
Nah Sting and his tears of manly-ness are winning best male. Laxus can lift some more weights while Sting collects his award.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
For future scenarios/tournaments, I've set up a poll regarding whether or not God Serena can eat Natsu's flames.
It's still on-going (Well I can't post the link for some reason), but as of right now 20 people say yes, 1 person says no and the polls only just started. I think that is quite unanimous to be considered that we change the rules in that case, that all God Slayers, Dragon Slayers, and Devil Slayers can eat the same element of their respective slayer types for future tournaments.
I voted Natsu because LFD is allowed in this tournament and God Serena didn't show any thunder element.It will be similar to Gajeel defeating Rogue with ISD.

Holt

#1 Ranker
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Are we doing another tournament after the "stars" competition? If so I think the rules need reviewing as there's a rule that's giving a character an unfair advantage and I think there are other rules that could be reworded or changed for fairness and simplicity sake.
Hopefully, we'll have another tournament but it won't be too soon.

Certainly, improvements can be made. We'll revaluate all the rules and restrictions, and also consider suggestions made. Seems some things weren't clear enough. I do think the character restrictions and info were pretty fair though

Crimson Ice

Reaction score
Country
Vandenreich
Threads stay getting closed when I'm not on.

Nemispelled

Reaction score
Country
United States
Alright, this is completely ridiculous.

In the past, I said that this tournament is relatively fair, but as of now, I change my stance on it.

My major problem with this tournament up to this point is Jellal Fernandes.

To be real honest, I didn't like it when he defeated Mira's Macro and Mard Geer. But I let it slide... and it was a mistake that I did.

After Jellal won against Laxus, I need to address the major problem.

First of all, I don't know why it got here in the first place, but I do not think that Jellal Fernandes should be able to use Mirror Water in this tournament.

For a couple reasons:

1) That was borrowed magic from Mystogan. Jellal is an entirely different person and this tournament was supposed to be based on judging Jellal himself.

2) Jellal put in no further effort to obtain Stave Magic. He didn't work for it and he didn't train for it. It was practically handed down to him on a silver platter.

I think this is completely unfair for Laxus, and now it is being used against Natsu.

Mystogan is Jellal's counterpart, they are not the same person and I see no reason why Jellal should have it when it is borrowed magic.

Faust of Edolas was Makarov's counterpart and in this tournament, Makarov didn't get to use Dorma Anim and Dragon Chain Cannon.

Because this tournament is near its end and Laxus already suffered his fate, I understand if you still want to push for Jellal being able to use Mirror Water for the remainder of the tournament.

But in no way do I think this is fair.

My Official Review of this Tournament:

Pros:

The basis of the tournament was relatively fair. I have no problem with the way it was set up and organized, from the discussions to the polls.

The restrictions and limitations were extremely helpful. I think the participants of this tournament was also relatively fair-game.

There was a major lack of feats for some characters, but the moderators had no control over that, so they cannot be blamed for it.

Cons:

Obviously Jellal's borrowed magic was a major part of this.

To be honest, I don't think all of the characters' spells were judged and considered fairly.

In the case of borrowed magic or hax magic, the rules should have been stated clearly from the start.

Although I do appreciate clarification, it would be best not to add/change certain conditions during the battle of the tournament.

I'll leave it at that. I don't want to sound like I'm hating. I just really despised Jellal's Mirror Water. I also believe certain conditions regarding other character's spells could have been done better as well.

Of course, at this point, we can't ban Mirror Water for Jellal vs. Natsu because that would be unfair to Laxus.

In conclusion:

Nemispelled's Rating of this Tournament:

86% ------- (86 pts / 100 pts)

Still pretty damn good in my book. For the first Fairy Tail Tournament, I say it earned a well deserved B+. Obviously, I had some disagreements and problems with it, but this is the first time. No need for me to be harsh and everyone tried their best.

As I said from the beginning, I'll keep my word that my rating of the tournament will be judged regardless of the winner. In accordance with that, may the best victor reign champion.

XXEliteXXAceXX

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Alright, this is completely ridiculous.

In the past, I said that this tournament is relatively fair, but as of now, I change my stance on it.

My major problem with this tournament up to this point is Jellal Fernandes.

To be real honest, I didn't like it when he defeated Mira's Macro and Mard Geer. But I let it slide... and it was a mistake that I did.

After Jellal won against Laxus, I need to address the major problem.

First of all, I don't know why it got here in the first place, but I do not think that Jellal Fernandes should be able to use Mirror Water in this tournament.

For a couple reasons:

1) That was borrowed magic from Mystogan. Jellal is an entirely different person and this tournament was supposed to be based on judging Jellal himself.

2) Jellal put in no further effort to obtain Stave Magic. He didn't work for it and he didn't train for it. It was practically handed down to him on a silver platter.

I think this is completely unfair for Laxus, and now it is being used against Natsu.

Mystogan is Jellal's counterpart, they are not the same person and I see no reason why Jellal should have it when it is borrowed magic.

Faust of Edolas was Makarov's counterpart and in this tournament, Makarov didn't get to use Dorma Anim and Dragon Chain Cannon.

Because this tournament is near its end and Laxus already suffered his fate, I understand if you still want to push for Jellal being able to use Mirror Water for the remainder of the tournament.

But in no way do I think this is fair.

My Official Review of this Tournament:

Pros:

The basis of the tournament was relatively fair. I have no problem with the way it was set up and organized, from the discussions to the polls.

The restrictions and limitations were extremely helpful. I think the participants of this tournament was also relatively fair-game.

There was a major lack of feats for some characters, but the moderators had no control over that, so they cannot be blamed for it.

Cons:

Obviously Jellal's borrowed magic was a major part of this.

To be honest, I don't think all of the characters' spells were judged and considered fairly.

In the case of borrowed magic or hax magic, the rules should have been stated clearly from the start.

Although I do appreciate clarification, it would be best not to add/change certain conditions during the battle of the tournament.

I'll leave it at that. I don't want to sound like I'm hating. I just really despised Jellal's Mirror Water. I also believe certain conditions regarding other character's spells could have been done better as well.

Of course, at this point, we can't ban Mirror Water for Jellal vs. Natsu because that would be unfair to Laxus.

In conclusion:

Nemispelled's Rating of this Tournament:

86% ------- (86 pts / 100 pts)

Still pretty damn good in my book. For the first Fairy Tail Tournament, I say it earned a well deserved B+. Obviously, I had some disagreements and problems with it, but this is the first time. No need for me to be harsh and everyone tried their best.

As I said from the beginning, I'll keep my word that my rating of the tournament will be judged regardless of the winner. In accordance with that, may the best victor reign champion.
Jellal doesn't need Mystogan's magic to win his fights. The only reason why I use it against Laxus and Natsu is because Jellal was constantly being downplayed in durability and denied feats. Some didn't think he is comparable to Laxus in defense. Fair enough. But don't claim that his durability is very low (fodder level). To make it even worse, some say Natsu has better durability when I can clearly prove it wrong. Most people don't view Jellal muscular which is fine but I don't see the logic in saying that Laxus looks bulkier so he's tankier.

Also, take note that there are people who refuse to let Jellal use Sema, Abyss Break, and Altairis.

As for Three Layered Magic Circle: Mirror Water, it is not borrowed magic. When Jellal said it in the GMG, he was referring to the staves. He borrowed the staves. But the MP in the attacks were still his. He still had to channel his magic into the staves for it to work (the staves already ran out of MP back in the Edolas Arc). That is why Jellal's version looks slightly different when you compare it to Mystogan's version. I would agree with you if you said it was borrowed weapons.

Makarov cannot use the Dorma Anim or the Dragon Chain Cannon because he was never seen to possess such "weapons". Meanwhile, Jellal has.

I know you don't like that Jellal can use Mystogan's magic but I have no choice but to use this as my argument especially when I too believe that there were some unfair aspects regarding the characters and their hype in previous matches.

Last edited:

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Jellal won because this tournament has too many of his fanboys/gals ;)

I don't think Jellal won because of Mirror water. It's not an impressive spell anyway, it just became a discussion point. It's a spell I doubt Jellal will ever use again, because he doesn't walk around with staves.

Jellal won on the merits of HB magic imo. I don't think he stacks up feats wise to Laxus, but it's not a big deal considering Jellal's probably one of the strongest in Isghal.

Ebony Maw

Reaction score
Country
Sunspear
Jellal won because this tournament has too many of his fanboys/gals ;)

I don't think Jellal won because of Mirror water. It's not an impressive spell anyway, it just became a discussion point. It's a spell I doubt Jellal will ever use again, because he doesn't walk around with staves.

Jellal won on the merits of HB magic imo. I don't think he stacks up feats wise to Laxus, but it's not a big deal considering Jellal's probably one of the strongest in Isghal.
Honestly deciding between Jellal and Laxus is a bit like splitting hairs, they're too damn close too each other. That should have been the final match IMO.

Last edited:

Holt

#1 Ranker
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
@Nemispelled
When we put the restrictions on the characters, it wasn't to entirely negate their hax Magic, but to put if at a level where the other character can actually fight. For Dimaria's age seal for example, we restricted that because the opponent simply cannot fight of time has been stopped. In cases where there was a possibility of the opponent not being entirely helpless, no mater how slight the possibility was, we'd allow it because we weren't trying to overly restrict any character or take away from their abilities. So with that, we wouldn't simply remove hax magic. It's part of each character's repertoire and frankly shouldn't simply be restricted on a whim.

About borrowed magic, it's something that could be considered for next time. I guess it's probably better to disallow that in case of next time. However, if that's to be done, it'll be based on if the character still had the borrowed equipment/spell at the time of the tournament.

Nemispelled

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Nemispelled
When we put the restrictions on the characters, it wasn't to entirely negate their hax Magic, but to put if at a level where the other character can actually fight. For Dimaria's age seal for example, we restricted that because the opponent simply cannot fight of time has been stopped. In cases where there was a possibility of the opponent not being entirely helpless, no mater how slight the possibility was, we'd allow it because we weren't trying to overly restrict any character or take away from their abilities. So with that, we wouldn't simply remove hax magic. It's part of each character's repertoire and frankly shouldn't simply be restricted on a whim.

About borrowed magic, it's something that could be considered for next time. I guess it's probably better to disallow that in case of next time. However, if that's to be done, it'll be based on if the character still had the borrowed equipment/spell at the time of the tournament.

Maybe you misunderstood me.

But I was never against banning hax magic. In fact, I listed that placing restrictions/limitations in the "Pros Section".

The ban on hax magic, I never disagreed or had a problem with it.

The major problem that I had was more about borrowed magic rather than hax magic.

Natsu was banned for being able to use Igneel's power in this tournament.

The reason why Natsu can't use Igneel's power in this tournament is because that would be considered borrowed magic. It was given to Natsu by Igneel.

I don't see a reason why Jellal can use borrowed magic when Natsu can't. Practically, Jellal's Stave Magic was passed on to him by Mystogan, which is not fair.

Again, I'm not fighting to get the rules changed. I'm just giving my honest review.

For the hax magic part, it was taken care of pretty well in this tournament.

For the borrowed magic part, I think some things could have been changed.

XXEliteXXAceXX

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Maybe you misunderstood me.

But I was never against banning hax magic. In fact, I listed that placing restrictions/limitations in the "Pros Section".

The ban on hax magic, I never disagreed or had a problem with it.

The major problem that I had was more about borrowed magic rather than hax magic.

Natsu was banned for being able to use Igneel's power in this tournament.

The reason why Natsu can't use Igneel's power in this tournament is because that would be considered borrowed magic. It was given to Natsu by Igneel.

I don't see a reason why Jellal can use borrowed magic when Natsu can't. Practically, Jellal's Stave Magic was passed on to him by Mystogan, which is not fair.

Again, I'm not fighting to get the rules changed. I'm just giving my honest review.

For the hax magic part, it was taken care of pretty well in this tournament.

For the borrowed magic part, I think some things could have been changed.
I don't think it's quite as unfair as you're painting it to be. Jellal should be able to use Mystogan's magic because of Rule #5...

Tournament Rules5. Characters
Because the plot is moving forward and certain characters are being developed, they can only be considered as they have been "shown" (pic or text) capable of in the manga, except for the few characters that we have imposed a limit on. Take a look at the spoiler a few steps down.

The reason why it is allowed is because it was shown.

Natsu cannot use Igneel's power because that is not his own MP.

On the other hand, Jellal has to use his magic to make Mystogan's staves work. It wasn't borrowed magic...

Think of it like Jacob's knives. Are we going to ban him from using weapons and just allow him to use CQC?

Not trying to start an argument about this. I'm just here to state my point in accordance with the rules. Besides, at this point, I gave up in arguing who the winner will be. Only time will tell...