Travel - Travel Abroad & Tour Guide | Page 12 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Travel Travel Abroad & Tour Guide

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Re: The Abroad Thread

i'm planning to go to mexico in July and then go to Europe ..
Anywhere in particular you plan on going to in Europe? It's a big place...

carlosgmsousa

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Portugal

I was born in Venezuela to portuguese parents. At age 4 I moved to Portugal and have been living there ever since. I've visited Spain, the UK and Ireland. My dream is to visit Japan someday. I would also love to visit the USA, Australia and French Polynesia!

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I was born in Venezuela to portuguese parents. At age 4 I moved to Portugal and have been living there ever since. I've visited Spain, the UK and Ireland. My dream is to visit Japan someday. I would also love to visit the USA, Australia and French Polynesia!
We've got similar countries of interests carlos. Where in Ireland and UK have you visited? and have you been back to Venezuela since you were born?

carlosgmsousa

Reaction score
Country
Portugal

We've got similar countries of interests carlos. Where in Ireland and UK have you visited? and have you been back to Venezuela since you were born?
I went back to Venezuela on a holliday trip 17 years ago! So that's a long time! I still have family there but unfortunately I never got back since that trip. But the family still visits Portugal every year. In the UK I've visited mainly the south cities of Brighton and London. In Ireland mainly the west coast and the north, Dublin, Drogheda, Navan, Kells, Dundalk, Portadown, Belfast and Antrim.

---------- Post added at 04:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 AM ----------

Congo-Kinshasa(DR Congo, formerly Zaire). Ah Pointe Noire is in Brazzaville if I remember correctly. It should be okay but don't take my word for it, I dunno the situation over there. Even my country has calmed down now in terms of civil wars and protests and stuff but I wouldn't really recomment it. Heck, I've never been back once in the 12 years since I left :sweatdrop
How long have you lived there? And do you know any native congolese language? I've never been to Africa...

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I went back to Venezuela on a holiday trip 17 years ago! So that's a long time! I still have family there but unfortunately I never got back since that trip. But the family still visits Portugal every year. In the UK I've visited mainly the south cities of Brighton and London. In Ireland mainly the west coast and the north, Dublin, Drogheda, Navan, Kells, Dundalk, Portadown, Belfast and Antrim.
17 years? Woah that's a long time. I was only in Dublin for a few days but it was a brilliant city, I found. Yes, it wasn't cheap but the people were real friendly and the surroundings and weather just made it lovely. We visited most of the typical places; the Guiness storehouse, Phoenix park, Viking museum, wax museum, and a few others. We bought this 2 day ticket for attractions entry and transport as we landed at the airport. It's something I'd recommend if you are planning to see a lot of things in a short amount of time, as we did and turns out we saved a bit of money on it.

How did you like these cities in Ireland? The only other place I know to visit is Cork; I've a family friend that lives there and has invited me next time I'm around the country.

I've never been Brighton myself, a few school friends of mine moved there for uni from London and they've told me it's a nice city; quite student orientated.

How long have you lived there? And do you know any native congolese language? I've never been to Africa...
In Congo? since my birth til about '99 then I've been in the UK ever since. I know my native congolese language, yes. Would you like to travel to the continent one day?

carlosgmsousa

Reaction score
Country
Portugal

In Congo? since my birth til about '99 then I've been in the UK ever since. I know my native congolese language, yes. Would you like to travel to the continent one day?
And what language is that? Lingala? Kikongo? I am a bit of a philologist... I like the study of comparative languages. I mainly concern myself with the Indo-European family (because of my background in Archaelogy) but I like other language families too, like the Bantu family. But I guess I'm going off topic here...

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I've answered your post in the language thread. Tell me Carlos, are there any particular cities you want to visit in US and Japan?

Iceiphoenix

Hunter x Queen
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Let's see... So far, I've been to places along the east coast of Australia (eg. Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Gold Coast), and I would like to go to the west of Australia one day. :D
As for places abroad, I often go to China for holidays and to visit my relatives. Usually, I go to Shanghai, Hong Kong and Macau... I would like to visit Beijing, Chongqing and Hainan one day. Beijing for the historical sites (Great Wall, Forbidden City, Temple of Heaven, etc), Chongqing for the spicy food, and Hainan for the tropical resort experience. :XD
Other than China, I've been to Toronto, Canada, to visit my uncle. I don't really remember much, since I was only a kid, but I do remember going to see Niagara Falls.
Recently, I went to Korea, specifically Seoul, the 3rd tunnel in the DMZ, and Jeju Island. It was winter when I went, so it was my first time enjoying the snow! :D (Actually, I've been to the snow when I was 3 or 4, but I didn't enjoy it, cried and stayed in the car. :oh So yeah, that doesn't count. :3c) I went with a tour group, so most of the places we went to were for tourists and duty free shopping centres. We mainly shopped in Seoul, but I felt as if I didn't really experience much of the culture. All the places that we went to for meals were specifically for catering tourists... Well, at least we managed to go have a Korean bbq. :zomg Anyway, at the DMZ, we went down the tunnel and also went to the viewing platform. I actually managed to see a North Korean soldier through the binoculars. As for Jeju Island, we went shopping, up one of the mountains and went to a spa. :XD

Oh, and for places I would like to go visit in the future, they would have to be Japan, Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam, the UK, France, Italy, Spain, Germany, and the US. :D There are other countries too, but those are the main ones I would like to visit.

Aaannnnddddd that concludes my rant. :bye

k-dom

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France
So you haven't been to uluru and the coral rief ? It's funny those two are the big journey I made in Australia because I thought they were must see.

Also for big cities, there is an association called greeters. A volunteer makes you visit the area he lives or one he likes for free. It's really an original way to discover a city andyou generally make a nice encounter.

Iceiphoenix

Hunter x Queen
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hahaha, I kind of fail as an Australian. :lmao Though honestly, I don't really have much of an interest in Uluru. In the past, tourists were allowed to climb up Uluru, but I'm pretty sure that they've stopped those climbs due to erosion or something. However, I do want to go to the Great Barrier Reef in the near future. I've heard from a friend that it's not as beautiful as it used to be, so it's best to go see it before it's too late. :s

Ooooh, nice!! Thanks for the info! :D It would be awesome to see where the locals love to go and experience the culture. :XD Have you ever volunteered or have been shown around by one?

k-dom

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France
At the time I visited it was still allowed but I didn't do it because aboriginals prefered us not to and I wanted to respect their wishes. Instead I made a guided tour arround the rock and I didn't regret my choice. The sunset is also quite a funny experience. You see hundredth of people taking a picture every 2s :-)) but i must say it makes some really beautiful photos in the end.

For the greeters, a friend of mine and myself volunteer in Paris. She has done some in germany and I will meet soon a nice couple in Vancouver which I encounter thanks to the association.

David Rose

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
When I was still in school, my class made a study trip to Scotland. While normally this is about visiting museums and such we got to wander along the whisky trail. Our teacher back then was pretty cool.
In my opinion it's a fascinating place in gerenal, espcially the landly parts and the people there were very heartwarming and friendly. From a german's perspective i can also recommend the beer there and you ought to visit a destillery, just for the free probes at the end (it's still interesting enough, trust me). :D

If you ever have the opportunity to get there, visit the Walkers factory sale and buy loads of these:

And never ask a real Scotsman if he's naked under his kilt. Unless of course you really want to find out (we did). And try Haggis, it wasn't that bad for me. :P

nyamonyamo

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
I've been to India specifically Bangalore. Its a nice place to visit if you want to buy beautiful fabric/cloth/silk for very cheap price. Its also 100 times better than all the major cities in India you won't see squatters or millions of people in small space. They got beautiful gardens and grass/greenery even though they exist but pretty rare and usually fenced. You can see huge cows almost everywhere in the city. The police there wear cowboys hat. Entering a shopping mall is like going into airports, they screen you and check your bags for explosive. Mode of transportation around the city is auto-rickshaw a 3 wheeler bike. its fun when the weather is cold and nice but hell if its hot and dusty. And they will always try to cheat you ;) just be firm and ask for meter. Only eat in a proper establishment never road side and even then you still have to worry about food poisoning. Leather attire are cheap, high in quality and very nice.

CeyGree

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Gaaad, would lvoe to go to India. My Aunt used to live there and my mum visited quite a bit. Brought back lots of stuff, but never took us kids! One of these days I just want to get aone way ticket there and see what happens. Dont want to be rushed whenever i go.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Re: Ideal Vacation Travel Locations & Places I have Visited Already Thread!

Birmingham is okay if you mind the slow pace, there's quite a bit to do, shopping here is really good; shops are huge and prices are quite good compared to London and the night life is good too....depending on where you go. .
I have spent many a-bawdy night on Broadstreet in Birmingham

Freya

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
I have visited China and Taiwan so far. Went to china for student exchange program and to Taiwan to visit my friend who I met in China ;)
In China I stayed for 1,5 month, mostly in Foshan city. It's near Guangzhou so usually I went there on weekend. I also went to Beijing and Shanghai for a week.
In Taiwan I stayed in Taipei and Hualian. Hualian is a small city, I think. But Taroko National Park is indeed a recommended place to visit. I also visited Jiu Fen which called as "The Real Place Spirited Away". I went there because I love that movie and curious to see that place :^_^
both have similar culture but I love Taiwan more especially Taipei city. The city and the people are very neat. What I love the most is the foods and how so many Japanese tourist were there. It healed my pain for not able to go to japan at that time LOL
Also singapore and malaysia for transit to China and Taiwan if that counts :XD

Now that I got a job I am saving my money to do more travelling abroad. I am planning to do solo backpacker to Japan next year. My friend also invite me to join her to do backpacker trip to Europe in 2018 but we still haven't decide wether we're going to Iceland only or go around to some countries in West Europe (without Iceland). I hope it's not just a plan;)

My travel wishlist:
Iceland - (Its scenery. Beautiful. I want to do road trip on Iceland one day. and to see northern light/aurora!), Austria, Netherland, UK, India, Pakistan, Egypt, Iran (which once called Persia! ), (of course!) Japan, and....

I LITERALLY WANT TO GO EVERYWHERE BECAUSE I AM SO INTERESTED IN KNOWING OTHER CULTURES! :hearts

Does anybody here have done solo backpacking abroad? ;)

John Flume

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just wrote this in another thread, but I'd absolutely looooove to go to Berlin :)

Akalia390

Reaction score
Country
Vandenreich
Last summer I was in Tbilisi, Georgia and I really think this is the best travel experience I've every had - I felt so comfortable there. I liked it in the town as people were lovely and the local cuisine suited me just fine. And then we really enjoyed visiting local sights, it was great, I was so interested in the local culture as well as in gorgeous mountains nearby. We got a tour for cheap on https://onewaytour.ge/incoming-tours/colourful-and-hospitable-georgia/ and it all went good.