Voting Round 1 - Vagabond vs. Shokugeki no Soma | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Voting Round 1 Vagabond vs. Shokugeki no Soma

Who wins?

• Vagabond

• Shokugeki no Soma

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia

Vagabond
Takehiko Inoue

-

Shokugeki no Soma
Yūto Tsukuda, Shun Saeki

Rules

- You are allowed to vote for one Manga
- After 5 days, the Manga with the most votes will proceed into the next round
- In case of a tie, a staff pick will break it

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Now, I know there are some people probably thinking "Why should I vote for Shokugeki no Soma?" or maybe even "What is Shokugeki no Soma?" so I'll try and give you some reasons why you should at the very least consider reading it if you're not, and perhaps consider voting for it too.

SNS follows Soma Yukihira, a fifteen year old boy who has a burning passion for cooking and dreams of taking over the family diner which his father runs one day and plans to study cooking there once he finishes middle school. However, that changes when his father suddenly closes the restaurant and sends Soma to the finest cooking school in the country, Totsuki Academy to further his study of cooking.

Now, this may sound like a slice of life manga, but here's where we get to why it's a Shounen battle manga; At Totsuki Academy, the students participate in intense food battles, often called "Shokugeki" which is used to decide many things such as status at the school to even developments etc. that could go ahead on campus. Simply put, it's a way of life just like cooking for the students. Getting back to Soma, on his journey you'll meet a variety of different characters that are colourful and each have their own charm which adds to your enjoyment of the story as you follow Soma as he aims to become the best chef possible.

Shokugeki is a fun and entertaining manga that I'm sure you will enjoy if you give it a try! It boasts:
- Intense and Interesting Food Battles
- Incredible art drawn by Saeki Shun
- A story that's fun, enjoyable to read and has it's own interesting twists and turns along the way.
- A large and colourful cast of characters, each with their own charms and quirks that draw you in to their story
- Gag moments including the stapled 'foodgasm', used to show off the impact the incredible dishes that have been made

Personally, out of the manga that I'm currently reading I believe Shokugeki is the best manga that's currently running that has consistent releases. This is because the story is fun and never a bore to read, it's colourful cast of characters each bring their own things to the table that add to the enjoyment that's to be had and it boasts quite possibly some of the best art that's currently around. This is why I believe you should consider Shokugeki as the manga you vote for here.

Thank you for reading this short-ish post about the manga I'm most passionate about. I hope that if anything, it might help convince people to give it a chance because it deserves a chance to be read by everyone, no matter how you think it won't sit well with your taste as you might just find it's your next favourite manga ;) Thank you again for reading!

P.S: I'll post some art later from the series to show it off some more :D

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
SnS is a lot of fun, with a good cast. The fanservice can be a bit misplaced but generally it doesn't bother me :P

However Vagabond is a much more comprehensive experience, and easily gets my vote here. Probably the best MC in this war. The art low-mid diffs SnS. It has been on hiatus for a while, which is a big strike against it imo with the battle still to come...

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
Oh please, SnS does the Vagabond thing better than it's own series.

Zasz

Bishoujo Collector
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
I got attached to SnS and I can't just leave it behind.
DAT fanservice is dope after all. :hurr
But jokes aside, this manga has a nice cast and more than anything it is pleasant to see delicious dishes being cooked! :blush

Nii

First Shield
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Well Shokugeki is your average story full of bishounen and hot/cute girls. It's genuinely funny at times, and can be entertaining too. I actually like the fanservice, exactly because it used to be pretty "unique" lol, but I feel it's way less creative as it used to be.

Vagabond is a much more mature and complex story in my eyes, it's simply on another level. I'm not really that much into either manga, but Vagabond just has that much more quality.

Demonspeed

The Rampaging Noble
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Not voted yet, I only read SnS. But @TotalEcon has very good arguments :hurr. I like SnS more for the characters than the story. It would have been pretty good as a SoL manga.

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
Well Shokugeki is your average story full of bishounen and hot/cute girls. It's genuinely funny at times, and can be entertaining too. I actually like the fanservice, exactly because it used to be pretty "unique" lol, but I feel it's way less creative as it used to be.

Vagabond is a much more mature and complex story in my eyes, it's simply on another level. I'm not really that much into either manga, but Vagabond just has that much more quality.
The series is called Vagabond. In the US, Vagabonds are homeless people who easy targets for serial killers.

Your series looks edgier than a Linkin Park Video. I am sorry my dude, but that doesn't make it more mature.

At the end of the day, I am sticking to my comfy, food manga than sword waving hobos.

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
Looks pretty shallow to me.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
You also forget @niichan that SnS is illustrated by a ****** artist, there's nothing more mature than that.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Vagabond has had years to flex its might among manga. Look at the sales of a manga on a very long hiatus compared to a weekly Shounen Manga serialized in the most popular magazine for manga in the world...

Shokugeki is really good at what it does. A SoL Shounen series. But in terms of character development, Engagement, art and setting, Vagabond just excells at all of the things I pay attention to when appraising... a masterpiece.

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
Vagabond has had years to flex its might among manga. Look at the sales of a manga on a very long hiatus compared to a weekly Shounen Manga serialized in the most popular magazine for manga in the world...

Shokugeki is really good at what it does. A SoL Shounen series. But in terms of character development, Engagement, art and setting, Vagabond just excells at all of the things I pay attention to when appraising... a masterpiece.
Oh it's on hiatus? Must be too poor to fight the fresh Shokugeki no Soma.

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
Reaction score
Country
Australia

Did you not read my post? Shokugeki isn't a slice of life. That's almost like saying Tokyo Ghoul is a shounen.

Static

Reaction score
Country
India
SnS is a lot of fun, with a good cast. The fanservice can be a bit misplaced but generally it doesn't bother me :P

However Vagabond is a much more comprehensive experience, and easily gets my vote here. Probably the best MC in this war. The art low-mid diffs SnS. It has been on hiatus for a while, which is a big strike against it imo with the battle still to come...
Tell them, its not even a question for which to vote!

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
Did you not read my post? Shokugeki isn't a slice of life. That's almost like saying Tokyo Ghoul is a shounen.
Of course not, but then again he called a series who's best feature is a gritty art style a masterpiece :yodawg
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Tell them, its not even a question for which to vote!
Correct, that's why everyone should be voting for SnS.

Zekiel

Reaction score
Country
United States
The series is called Vagabond. In the US, Vagabonds are homeless people who easy targets for serial killers.

Your series looks edgier than a Linkin Park Video. I am sorry my dude, but that doesn't make it more mature.

At the end of the day, I am sticking to my comfy, food manga than sword waving hobos.
Lol hahaha.....Te with the Burns!!xd. I voted sns too however if it were kingdom i wouldve voted for kingdom

Status
Not open for further replies.