Seinen - Vinland Saga by Makoto Yukimura | Page 37 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Seinen Vinland Saga by Makoto Yukimura

Purity of Magi

The Witch of Miracles
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
England
Final Arc started it seems

Oh, so it's really entering it's finally arc, hm. Well, not quite surprised actually, especially seeing how the last recent chapters has been executed. I kinda wish it didn't had a time skip yet and that we could slightly have a screentime as how Thorfinn and Gudrid relationship got developed during their trip. However, I am glad to see that they are together in the end tho (which was expected because history). The reunion and all was quite adorable and the interaction with Thorfinn and Ylva was just the usual. xD I liked the chapter overall, nothing much to say about it actually lol. Looking forward how the author is going to execute the trip to Vinland. Hopefully, during this trip there won't be any time skips or something along the lines. I want to see a nice full journey arc to Vinland!

Also here, for those that prefer the MS translation of the chapter: https://readms.net/r/vinland_saga/166/6311/1

Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Naming the third arc "Eastern Expedition" despite us never even seeing Miklagard feels kind of goofy now. I mean sure, Norway and Denmark are Easter of Iceland and Britain, but it does seem sort of unfortunate that we won't see much else. Maybe Yukimura is only starting work on the last arc now and we might have some exposition or flashbacks for the next few chapters or so, not sure.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
Really sad on seeing Thorfinn still suffering from Trauma

Gudrid will be the one to save him,nice Gudrid Thorfinn moment.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
I guess we somehow missed the new chapter last month? That and MangaStream closing maybe let it slip under the radar? I'm actually surprised... lol

Anyways, nice to get some little tidbits through a flashback. Also, pretty sure Halvor has to be related to Thorkell.

Super late post though, I guess ch169 will be out in some days.

Static

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
India
At least Vinland is consistent in being bad nowadays.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
The insistence on this anti-sword thing is annoying, but I think it's also deliberate. If Thorfinn really insists on this hardline stance, he's going to regret it.

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At least Vinland is consistent in being bad nowadays.
I don't know if I'd say the story is bad, but the writer is certainly taking their time to either develop characters that will be important on the journey to Vinland or resolve things before Thorfinn's departure.

The pace is definitely slow for me, which is why I come back to it every few months or so but I do still enjoy the chapters; in particular ch171 with Hild helping out the villagers and Gudrid's jealousy towards her. That was funny, leading to ch172 and Gudrid's perverted ways towards Thorfinn at the end.

@xi0 I feel he's being a bit naive in taking all those people there with no real plan in how to diffuse any violent situation without using weapons. Also at the "thing" I don't think he mentioned that there might other settlers there, did he?

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
@xi0 I feel he's being a bit naive in taking all those people there with no real plan in how to diffuse any violent situation without using weapons. Also at the "thing" I don't think he mentioned that there might other settlers there, did he?
You mean other settles already there? I don't think so. But tbh I'm not sure what Yukimura will do in regards to that. I imagine they're going to meet more people at Greenland, but unsure about Vinland itself. It's tough to know how much historical accuracy is going to be included, because in reality Thorfinn didn't even know Gudrid until he met her in Greenland.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Now it's beginning! Holy shit that moment felt amazing after all these years - now they are on ship headed to Vinland. Thorfinn looked badass so determined.

I also cried a little over Cordelia crying over the traditional dress she got from the village ladies. Very touching.

I'm curious what's gonna happen next. What is the "Goddess"? Will we time skip to Greenland, or even the coast of America or will we spent some time sailing (hopefully not as long as Guts & Co. if that's what gonna happen)? How will the eventual conflict with weapon smugglers go? Will we only see the early times of arrival and colonizing, or will we follow Thorfinn so long that we'll eventually fitness history happening as it happened, and he'll have to yield and retreat back to Greenland and eventually Iceland.

Woop woop. Can't wait see where Yukimura-sensei takes the story next.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
I am really hyped for this arc.

Sachsenhesse

Reaction score
Country
Germany
so i watched the anime and man... they didnt give askeladds death the justice it deserved. Kinda disappointed not gonna lie.