Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump (2024) - News and Discussion! | Page 422 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump (2024) - News and Discussion!

Your Favorite Chapters of Issue #22/23 of 2024 (5 Choices At Most)

• One Piece 1113

• My Hero Academia 421

• Black Clover 370 & 371

• Jujutsu Kaisen 258

• Mission: Yozakura Family 224

• Undead Unluck 205

• Me & Roboco 183

• Sakamoto Days 164

• The Elusive Samurai 155

• Witch Watch 154

• Blue Box 147

• Akane Banashi 108

• Kill Blue 51

• Nue's Exorcist 48

• Kagurabachi 31

• Green Green Greens 21

• Super Psychic Policeman Chojo 12

• Dear Anemone 11

• Astro Royale 3

• Kyokuto Necromance 2

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

JBC008

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
I want to ask peoples thoughts on the anticipation of Togo and Matsuura’s upcoming one-shot. Is everyone excited to see it. I mean the art and idea from the one-shot looks good. But the one thing I hope for is that Togo steps up in the writing department. Cause that has been my main criticism of his where I can only give praise to Matsuura.

SunPillar

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I want to ask peoples thoughts on the anticipation of Togo and Matsuura’s upcoming one-shot. Is everyone excited to see it. I mean the art and idea from the one-shot looks good. But the one thing I hope for is that Togo steps up in the writing department. Cause that has been my main criticism of his where I can only give praise to Matsuura.
I don’t want to get into the debate again, but I think you should cut Goto some slack. If shueisha and Matsuura are willingly working with him again he can’t be as bad as you make him seem.

However to answer your question, yes, I am. I think mysteries are one of his strong suits. Like I thought the mirror chapter in Phantom Seer was fun, and if you read the Kurose focus chapter in the final volume, I think the answer to the main villain’s origin was a good one and if he had the time pay it off like he wanted it would have been really rewarding.

monstera11

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I really want to see a new work that shamelessly go full force with the Yaoi fanservice tbh. I don't think Astro will be it. It seems that Wakui will be playing it safe with the shonen battle manga aspect instead of Fujo aspect.

By the way, Jump Giga has Akira Amano's pretty men as the appendix. I love Amano's pretty men. We really don't have pretty men series in wsj now.... I thought ruirui will fill that niche, but it was not meant to be. No, no, Kill Blue won't count and i won't call astro a bishonen manga (yet). Idk, I think Wakui's design feels like a fashion disaster sometimes. Akira Amano's men are the truly stylish heart throb ones

tirakai

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Scotland
If you want to see a battle shounen going all out with the BL teasing, Jump SQ has a couple of those.

coldmess

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I really want to see a new work that shamelessly go full force with the Yaoi fanservice tbh. I don't think Astro will be it. It seems that Wakui will be playing it safe with the shonen battle manga aspect instead of Fujo aspect.

By the way, Jump Giga has Akira Amano's pretty men as the appendix. I love Amano's pretty men. We really don't have pretty men series in wsj now.... I thought ruirui will fill that niche, but it was not meant to be. No, no, Kill Blue won't count and i won't call astro a bishonen manga (yet). Idk, I think Wakui's design feels like a fashion disaster sometimes. Akira Amano's men are the truly stylish heart throb ones

People are already shipping Astro characters regardless. A lot of TR fans have moved over. Also, I see a lot of love for the Sakamoto Days men especially Nagumo. Apparently Nagumo and Shishiba are a popular pairing.

Mankichi Togawa

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Spain

Well, didn't expect Kill Blue in my country already

JBC008

Reaction score
Country

Pietro

Reaction score
Country
Italy
I almost forgot it existed... It's so bad to wait that much for a chapter

Franz

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy

JBC008

Reaction score
Country
ONE PIECE Lead Color Page
One of my favorite spreads, it really shows that Oda really want's Robin to have brown eyes vs blue.

galaxy-juice

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don’t want to get into the debate again, but I think you should cut Goto some slack. If shueisha and Matsuura are willingly working with him again he can’t be as bad as you make him seem.

However to answer your question, yes, I am. I think mysteries are one of his strong suits. Like I thought the mirror chapter in Phantom Seer was fun, and if you read the Kurose focus chapter in the final volume, I think the answer to the main villain’s origin was a good one and if he had the time pay it off like he wanted it would have been really rewarding.
Not mysteries, but he is good at suspense. Goto has his strong suits. Matsuura's work would be unrecognizable without Goto's style.

People are weird about duos in general. If an artist flops, even if they have the most mid art imaginable, people will say "Oh man, he should pair with a writer". And if a duo flops, even if the writer is clearly more polished than the artist, people will say "Oh man, he should pair with a better writer".

I don't know why people think there is a secret vault of expert writers. The writers we get are the best writers there are. If someone likes the vibe an artist or duo have, they need to understand that changing the writer would completely erase that vibe into something else. If you want an artist or duo to succeed, support them normally unless you think they have zero ability to tell an interesting story whatsoever.

Broseph

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
We're in a real different generation when bitchy imoutos aren't on the trend. Back in my day, people would simp over little sisters no matter how nasty they were to the protag, as long as they were nice every once in awhile. Here I thought tsunderes were still trendy. This geezer needs to get with the times...

I'm pretty much 50/50 on whether it'll stabilize or not. Current arc looks to be training arc, leading into a confrontation with the main antagonists. And... I just feel like Kawae's not ready to try more battle-focused arcs as he is. If he simply charges in and brings the same performance as the village arc, it's game over. I was really expecting a filler arc full of shenanigans to give more breathing room before trying again... I wouldn't say it's over for Nue, but it definitely needs to ground its center now more than ever.

If you ask me, just cash in hard on the girls and fanservice, that's what's making it trend. Where the bunnygirls and maids at? The axed series at least threw that out with their dying breath. A simple boobtouch is tame compared to whatever the Heisei era brought. Chojo's a huge breakout on the comedy front, KGB is grabbing all the action nuts. Taking full advantage of the one aspect it has over those series is probably the best way to stabilize.
Yeah I get the feeling that what made Nue do so good at the start was the harem shenanigans with all the girls. Again, I'm not reading Nue so I'm not sure how battles are done but how big of a role do the girls play a role in them? I get the vibe this is like one of those shonen romcoms where a lot of readers are interested in them over the MC so the lead showing up without the girls doing anything could lose their interest

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
HUNTER×HUNTER NEN IMPACT Gameplay Trailer:

Wow who'd have thought this day would ever come. Anime fighters can do a different style of gameplay. Hope we get more like these. Looks incredible

JBC008

Reaction score
Country
Not mysteries, but he is good at suspense. Goto has his strong suits. Matsuura's work would be unrecognizable without Goto's style.

People are weird about duos in general. If an artist flops, even if they have the most mid art imaginable, people will say "Oh man, he should pair with a writer". And if a duo flops, even if the writer is clearly more polished than the artist, people will say "Oh man, he should pair with a better writer".

I don't know why people think there is a secret vault of expert writers. The writers we get are the best writers there are. If someone likes the vibe an artist or duo have, they need to understand that changing the writer would completely erase that vibe into something else. If you want an artist or duo to succeed, support them normally unless you think they have zero ability to tell an interesting story whatsoever.
Exactly, especially when we had the example over a year ago with Nisoisn. As well as Inagaki who not only made 2 successful titles in Eyeshield 21 and Dr. STONE. But also their artists in Murata and Boichi. And even with Takeshi Obata who has worked with may different artists in Yumi Hotta, Tsugumi Ohba, and the new one with that Showa Shoten series (I hope I am saying that last one right). And they all have good relationships. Like what we saw with Ohba and Obata, as well as the Food War! duo with Tsukuda and Saeki. As So there is a friendship and trust there, and we will always associate the duo together unless something happens.

Bulju

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
HUNTER×HUNTER NEN IMPACT Gameplay Trailer:

See, the problem with newer fighting games like DNF Duel is that they are too polished. This is a proper kusoge, like in the good old days. It looks like total dogshit, give me ten copies.

Last edited:

iker_03

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Yearly Oricon Top 50 (November 21,2022 - November 19,2023)
By Series:

2. Jujutsu Kaisen: 8 541 411
3. ONE PIECE: 7 197 532
6. Slam Dunk: 4 968 484
8. My Hero Academia: 3 528 423
17. SAKAMOTO DAYS: 1 382 447
18. MASHLE: 1 363 377
23. Blue Box: 1 171 020
25. Haikyu!!: 1 122 890
40. Kimetsu no Yaiba: 756 294

By Volumes (Top 200):
1. ONE PIECE #105: 1 912 008
2 Jujutsu Kaisen #21: 1 717 867
3. ONE PIECE #106: 1 690 973
4. Jujutsu Kaisen # 22: 1 643 782
5. Jujutsu Kaisen #23: 1 456 419
7. ONE PIECE #107: 1 300 580
8. Jujutsu Kaisen #24: 1 191 177
11. My Hero Academia 37: 790 758
13. My Hero Academia #38: 702 953
27. My Hero Academia #39: 492 648
37. ONE PIECE #104: 437 349
78. Jujutsu Kaisen #20: 337 261
124. Jujutsu Kaisen #19: 211 829
173. Blue Box #8: 182 764
181. My Hero Academia #36: 179 184
184. Blue Box #9: 175 721
187. SAKAMOTO DAYS #10: 175 200
199. Black Clover #34: 166 126

Last edited:

Magister Xehanort

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Estou praticamente 50/50 sobre se vai estabilizar ou não. O arco atual parece ser um arco de treinamento, levando a um confronto com os principais antagonistas. E... eu simplesmente sinto que Kawae não está pronto para tentar arcos mais focados na batalha como está. Se ele simplesmente atacar e tiver o mesmo desempenho do arco da vila, o jogo termina. Eu realmente esperava que um arco de preenchimento cheio de travessuras desse mais espaço para respirar antes de tentar novamente... Eu não diria que acabou para Nue, mas ele definitivamente precisa firmar seu centro agora mais do que nunca.

Se você me perguntar, apenas lucrar muito com as garotas e o fanservice, é isso que está virando tendência. Onde estão as coelhinhas e as empregadas? A série cortada pelo menos jogou isso fora em seu último suspiro. Um simples toque no peito é inofensivo em comparação com tudo o que a era Heisei trouxe. Chojo é uma grande revelação no campo da comédia, a KGB está conquistando todos os loucos por ação. Aproveitar ao máximo o único aspecto que tem sobre essas séries é provavelmente a melhor maneira de estabilizar.
I really don't understand these comments about Nue that I see, because I noticed that for some reason there are several posts about Nue and ecchi together. What is the reason for this? Everyone already knows that the series is not ecchi. The series is a battle shonen. Nue goes weeks without any ecchi, in fact I think maybe you can count on your hands all the chapters in the series that have ecchi scenes, and when they happen it's a single scene in the chapter. A normal chapter of One Piece has much, much, much more ecchi than Nue and I don't see people calling the series ecchi. Does anyone know the reason for this?

Renvent

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looking around some forums, I noticed that certain points from one of my posts is getting repeated in other sites. Specifically this post:
The idea that color pages don't matter is unfounded. Series that receive a color page are safe for roughly 8 issues at least. Given that the rounds are usually only 10-12 chapters apart that means most series that receive one are safe for that round. That hasn't changed even for the most recent batches. MMA was canceled 8 weeks after getting its last color page though actually 10 issues because of the double issues. MMYY was canceled 8 issues after it's CP exact. TOI's last color page was 13 issues ago and it is almost certainly getting axed next week. GGG last received a CP 4 issues ago. It's going to survive this round. Meanwhile SE hasn't received a color page at all since it's 2nd chapter and it's likely going to be axed after TOI. Chojo received two CP's and ranked 5th. Dear Anemone hasn't received any since it's debut and is ranked bottom 3.

This is true for older batches as well. Cipher Academy was axed 9 weeks (11 issues due to the double weeks) after its last CP. Ichinose 20 issues, Gill 18 issues, Fabricant 100 13 issues. Tenmaku 19 issues, Do Retry 17, Ichigoki 17. Ginka 16 issues, Tokyo Demon Bride 20 issues. P6 8 weeks, 10 issues. Literally all of the axes for last year, never below the 8 issue mark. Most more than 10 chapters after. This was true for 2022 too.

Sure, Jump gives color pages for promotion but it's abundantly clear when it does because the whole batch usually receives one vs when they do for actual popularity. And yes, some series don't get color pages because the author is overworked and can't do them however one thing is clear: Jump doesn't give color pages to series it's planning to axe soon.
It's hard to tell if someone else reached the same conclusions independently or the general information is just getting spread around. Feels weird.
I really don't understand these comments about Nue that I see, because I noticed that for some reason there are several posts about Nue and ecchi together. What is the reason for this? Everyone already knows that the series is not ecchi. The series is a battle shonen. Nue goes weeks without any ecchi, in fact I think maybe you can count on your hands all the chapters in the series that have ecchi scenes, and when they happen it's a single scene in the chapter. A normal chapter of One Piece has much, much, much more ecchi than Nue and I don't see people calling the series ecchi. Does anyone know the reason for this?
People conflate romcom and harem with ecchi. Now the two are often tied together but not always. But when people see one they often assume the others there together. Like you said Nue doesn't really traffic much in fanservice. Romcom? It has plenty of romcom shenanigans but ecchi? Not much. But since the two genres are often tied together in people's minds, people assume Nue has a lot of ecchi as well.

Heck, technically Nue isn't even a harem yet. There's only two established love interests: Suou and Shirogane. Shitotsu and Gakuro's relationship has been platonic so far while Nue hasn't shown any romantic interest in him (trying to ship him together with the other girls). It could easily change in the future but so far it's a love triangle, not a harem.