Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump (2024) - News and Discussion! | Page 461 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump (2024) - News and Discussion!

iker_03

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #26
Nue's Exorcist (Cover & Lead Color Pages; 1st Anniversary)
WITCH WATCH
One Piece
Blue Box (Color Page)
Psych House (23p)
Jujutsu Kaisen
Me & Roboco
Super Psychic Policeman Chojo (Color Page)
Astro Royale
SAKAMOTO DAYS
Kyokuto Necromance
Akane-banashi
The Elusive Samurai
Mission: Yozakura Family
Kill Blue
Kagurabachi
Green Green Greens
Dear Anemone
My Hero Academia (Absent)
Undead Unluck (Absent)

Weekly Shonen Jump #27 (2024) - Preview
Cover & LCP: SAKAMOTO DAYS
Cp: Undead Unluck; Super Psychic Policeman Chojo

Last edited:

coldmess

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Cringe's exorcist go full plagiarism mode this week and it made me laugh so damn hard

I wonder if there are still some retards defending this ?
I see we've moved on from Undead Unluck slander. Well, it was fun having you back for 2 days.

Psych House is fun! I hope it stays more slice of life and doesn't go full battle shonen.

Meanwhile Astro Royale needs to do something different soon. I'm kinda losing interest.

Mankichi Togawa

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Spain
I really think My Hero Academia is having the best war arc in the entire story of Shonen Jump. This is me, but I'm greatly enjoying it way more than Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Toriko, Black Clover, Kimetsu and Jujutsu Kaisen war arcs. The manga is harvesting the fruits seeded now and it's being a fantastic and emotive experience.

Also, MHA having the page of the week for me too:

pennycryman

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
But what made the most impression on me was Deep Raputa/Laputa right next to it on M+. I admit, I haven’t been caught up to the J+ thread, so I didn’t see this series coming. But if this premiered right next to Cycle Biyori, it would have serious competition. Deep Raputa is either going to be a success or a disaster, but I feel like this roller coaster ride of seeing whether this series will survive is going to be amazing.
It sort of reminded me of that one Gonzo show in the 00s, with a lot less edge. I think it was called Saikano? I'll admit, it could do some cool stuff if it plays into it. Cycle Biyori is cute, and that's all it needs to do. Vibed with it a lot more than the other 2 series.

JBC008

Reaction score
Country
I take it back, Psych House started on the right note. I will get into it along with giving a review of Astro and Necromance, but in all honesty, it wasn’t so bad. Blew my expectations. But that is just the first chapter, we still have more.

Enjoyer

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Cycle Byori had the strongest first chapter of its batch.
Nemuru is endearing, and the art is definitely a highlight.
Excited to continue reading.
Meanwhile, astro is completely sucked, there are no hooks.

They need to learn that bringing in big hit veterans doesn't make anything better.

Thehoennhippo

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was going to come on here and make a playful Eva joke but it seems that conversation has already happened...

Was so ready to finally drop Dear Anemone but what the hell is going on with the last page will have me reading for one more week.

I liked Psych House a lot.

SlamMonster

Reaction score
Country
Hungary
Psych House was nice. I was afraid it would be simple slice of life or formulaic gag manga, but it did its own thing and I enjoyed. It does seem like it will be mostly slice of life, but it also hinted at more purpose. There is room for improvement, though, both the art and the script could be more charming.

Astro has been cool but also super disappointing after its debut, just a waste of its premise with fight after fight and non existent world building. Its been so primitive since then. Its like Wakui is unsure if he even wants to do a fantasy story, because so far it's just another simple gang story with simple superpowers just for the sake of it.

Necromance actually had a decent chapter that made me interested in more. I liked the characterization and the direction of the premise, now if only the author would start showing creativity in the compositions too, because the art is just so one dimensional, and the author isn't even trying making the conversations look remotely visually interesting, it's all so flat.

I really think My Hero Academia is having the best war arc in the entire story of Shonen Jump. This is me, but I'm greatly enjoying it way more than Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Toriko, Black Clover, Kimetsu and Jujutsu Kaisen war arcs. The manga is harvesting the fruits seeded now and it's being a fantastic and emotive experience.
It's really not doing it for me exactly for this reason. It tries to be extremely cathartic and emotional, but it doesn't work if you're not invested in the characters, which I am not at all. I really didn't enjoy much of the manga since Kamino arc, and without that connection, this arc just feels like a nonstop series of clichés and platitudes. Easily the worst out of the other battle manga for me.

Newkerzy

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
It sort of reminded me of that one Gonzo show in the 00s, with a lot less edge. I think it was called Saikano? I'll admit, it could do some cool stuff if it plays into it. Cycle Biyori is cute, and that's all it needs to do. Vibed with it a lot more than the other 2 series.
Not sure what the show is called, but this concept has definitely been done numerous times before. Except that the world we live in is vastly different from the one 25-30 years ago. Humanity has never been closer to fully-realized AI, so the fact that this is coming out right now is excellent timing and will definitely grab some readers’ interest. The character writing is on point too. There could be some minor improvements here and there, but overall, it’s done enough to make me invested.

Serinox

Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
Psych House was okay, though the resolution with the store owner was a bit too cliche for my taste.

Overall, my enjoyment of the newbies so far is:

Astro Royal >> Psych House > Necromance

Broseph

Reaction score
Country
United States

Also, MHA having the page of the week for me too:

I won't say it's the best since I'm going to soak it in first and don't want to fall to recency bias but IMO it has been fantastic. The pacing can feel off at parts due to breaks and shorter chapters for a bit but reading it all in one go, it moves at a cool pace, does a great job integrating its massive cast into the battle, and delivers very emotionally resonant moments. If there's one thing I would add, it'd be a higher stake since AFO hasn't really felt threatening in a while but the pros absolutely make it up for me. I'm looking forward to seeing this conclusion and I think it'll be even better in the anime when 3-4 chapters can be adapted in a single episode.

TheRealTravisty

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Gonna put my 5 here this week so I remember to vote for them.

My Hero Academia, Sakamoto Days, Undead Unluck, GGG and…Psych House. I know, I’m surprised too. I wasn’t a big fan of the artwork at first, but seeing it in black and white did make me get used to it. The colour page is beautiful too. I’m shocked by how much I liked this first chapter.

I’ll give a runner up to Ruri Dragon, because I like seeing my girl grow. If it wasn’t for Psych House, I might have given it to Witch Watch, because that was hilarious. Damn it, now I’m conflicted!

The last few pages of Dear Blahblah did make me sit upright and wonder what the hell was going on.

There were good moments sprinkled throughout this week. Even though I’ve been bored by The Elusive Samurai, I did like the moment between Tokiyuki and Akiie.

Velx

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Ukraine
After reading the last one of the newbies I can finally say it - axing MamaYuyu and Two on Ice for this batch was a mistake. Astro is ok (interesting concept, but manga itself is kinda meh), but Necromance and Psych House are super boring.

Magister Xehanort

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Hulu apparently has info on the next two episodes of Yozakura Family:

And it looks like they didn't translate the extra chapter of Yozakura Family.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hulu apparently has info on the next two episodes of Yozakura Family:

And it looks like they didn't translate the extra chapter of Yozakura Family.
Finally a service treats anime like real TV shows.

JBC008

Reaction score
Country
Okay, so given that we have our 3 new series, I am going to give my review on all 3 of them for this weeks chapters. But the one thing I won’t do is give my pecking order of what I like yet. It is still to new and I want Psych House to have more time to grow with 2 more chapters. So here are my thoughts on the new series today.

-Astro Royale: I do think it is having a good setup for the arc. But one constant complaint I had is this need to always show the names of these characters. It always feels like we need to constantly be reminded on who these characters are and it is t taking the time for us to register them more. Was this always like this in Wakui’s previous works to hammer the names of these characters? One of the things that threw me off was the fact that one of the brothers knows about this gang group that just started and that we could have gotten it from the town’s civilians. But then again, it could have been Terasu who knew as he is like the Tom from the Corleone family in The Godfather. As for what else happened, to me, I think this series is struggling with its tone in both having some light hearted comedy by being in the serious tone of the series. I say that due to how I am seeing Hibaru making his way through the club. But the one thing I am curious is going to be the fight with Kou. Although one of my concerns is that we might be jumping into things way too quick.

-Kyokuto Necromance: The chapter itself feels slow and awkward. But yet at the same time, it does make sense with what is happening. I think this is more of a small build introductory chapter that follows the 3 chapter structure as we are now getting familiar with the organization and setting up the first arc after the intro. But this is interesting for Kaoru as he is learning about his father he never knew about along with some mystery with Yoji. Another aspect that I am starting to see is why Naba is structuring his paneling despite being flat. One thing that told me that Naba is thinking was when we go directly to the empty cassette tape to the toy block as I can see a disolve (sorry film terminology) as a transition. I am curious about the next chapter with the Level C. But the one thing I am most concerned is if it makes the same mistakes as what Doron Dororon when we face the monster that took the parents loved one. We have seen it done before in other series, but for its effectiveness, that is depending on how well they execute it. But with that talk about a possible revenge plot if we learn more, then that could give me more incentive to see the story push forward.

-Psych House: For a new series that I thought had no hope for. I was genuinely and utterly surprised. How touching and endearing it was to learn about these characters. I really do like Kotone, and learning about her predicament. And Nemuru has this heart of gold that makes it hard not to like him. But one thing that could have improved was how Kotone had shown her ability than just showing it to her friends, cause then it wouldn’t have been predictable. But what made up for it is understanding the dilemma she is in being somewhat homeless without a guardian, dealing with massive debt, her mother, and hunger. I hope chapter 2 is just as good as chapter 1 cause this could act as RuriDragon’s replacement in the magazine due to that series current situation not being in the main magazine. This recruitment of Psych people feels like a more SoL version of X-Men due to learning about people with these powers. And I really do think there is potential if it goes on the right path.

And that does it with these new series. So far not to bad, but some are weaker than others. But would I have taken them over MamaYuyu, Two on Ice, and Shadow Eliminators, yes, yes I would have. Though I really wouldn’t have gone for Astro Royale to be perfectly honest. And with that I will come back once I finish reading the rest of the chapters for the review.

Last edited:

Kurama58

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
France
Astro royale might be the worst manga of the new batch, The kid with the bucket has surprisingly the best chapter from this batch