Movies - What is your favorite Disney movie? | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Movies What is your favorite Disney movie?

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
The Jungle Book, all the way! :D Although The Lion King is probably the one I've seen the most times (and know every line from) and is a masterpiece in its own right, The Jungle Book is just unbeatable in my eyes. Pretty sure it was also the first one I ever saw.

And it's from the days when Swedish dubs for animated movies were still on par and sometimes better than the original. Today, when I watch a lot of the movies from the late 90's that I watched when I was little, I realize that the dubs are actually pretty darn sucky (and don't get me started on today's movies). I guess The Lion King was pretty much the last really good one when it comes to Swedish versions. Classic Disney from the 70's is still the best, though.

Not to mention the damn soundtrack! The Bare Necessities and I Wanna Be Like You are two of the absolute best movie songs of all time, and they're in the same movie! No long, cheesy ballads which seem pretty much obligatory for Disney features from the past 20 years or so. Just that jazzy, rag-time feel which I so miss in today's movies (sorry, Randy Newman. I like your stuff, but you can't beat the real classics!).

But yeah, ever since I first saw it, it's been my favorite Disney movie. It's got a nice feel-good atmosphere and feel to it, but at times it's suspenseful as hell. It's got Baloo, one of the most groovy characters ever who just lightens up every scene he's in, but it's also got one of the best Disney villains, Shere Khan. I just love how every time his name is mentioned, everyone who hears it just freeze. He's terrifying from the very beginning, even though he doesn't appear until like halfway through. That's a good villain!

Yeah, the animation is a little outdated and all, but that's very much the charm of it and to me it's always gonna be a timeless classic. :tem

destiny4ever

MH's Most Friendly Member
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
The Jungle Book, all the way! :D
“The Jungle Book” is fantastic! :cool: It has a little bit of everything and one of my favorite things about it is the friendship theme within the movie. My favorite character from this movie is Baloo. :) What is your favorite character, Organizized?

The Bare Necessities and I Wanna Be Like You are two of the absolute best movie songs of all time
The Bare Necessities…I know the lyrics of that song by heart. ^_^ Great song!

It's got a nice feel-good atmosphere and feel to it, but at times it's suspenseful as hell.
I haven’t watched it in a while, but I do remember that during the scene when Mowgli confronts Shere Khan my eyes were glued to the TV screen because I was anxiously waiting to see what was going to happen next.

HegemonKhan

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
as much as everyone likes the lion king, it just doesn't compare with Aladdin, in my view, because:

when Aladdin had came out in the theatre, and I was little then, it was EPIC for this (old) time period!!! No other Disney movie compared.. (except maybe Bambi*... as strange as that sounds, lol)

but, too new generations (seeing stuff with better graphics/CG/animations) who hadn't had this experience, can't really understand how it was so epic.

---------------------------------------

P.S.

*another childhood memory destiny, when I was little I couldn't watch the fire scene in Bambi, being the animal lover I was then and still am now (but I've gotten over not being able to watch the fire scene, lol. But, any mentioning of Micheal Vick... I need to change the channel fast or I'm going to have to buy another tv set/screen... V.V ... or those damned... abused dog charity/scam ads/commercials on tv at night... ARGH!!! "see no evil, feel no evil" I have to ignore and not think about it, or I'd just cry for the rest of my life!!! :crying and I hate seeing a dead dog when driving... or worse a dog still alive/walking on the street... ach, sob sob, I better stop this line of typing quick! :crying , making myself all despressed now!!!)

Last edited:

destiny4ever

MH's Most Friendly Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you for sharing another childhood memory, Hege! :) As for me, the scene that really touched me and I think I even cried was the scene when
Bambi’s mother is killed.
The fire scene was sad too. :( People can be so cruel towards animals; my heart aches every time I watch a scene/case of an animal that has been abused.

HegemonKhan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Land Before Time (the very first one), wasn't very "disney PC" either, it had death of little foot's parents, and so was very emotional/sad (and scary with T-Rex) too. It really churns your heart. I was watching it with my niece and I was choking up, lump in my throat, and eyes watery from it even at my old age now! And she pulled her hat down, lol. trying to hide that she was crying...hehe. it doesn't work well when you're leaning your body on me, lol, I can feel the sobs of her crying. but, I didn't say anything as she was trying to "act tuff" and not let me know she was crying/sad from it - she's quite a tomboy - (and I was too!, lol. so very emotionally touching movie!), of course :D. (it's sad how the later one's got so "toned-down", ughn!)

But, that what makes it so great, when your emotions are effected. If a show/movie/book/story/manga/anime can touch/change your emotions, it's high quality :D

----------------------------

I hate those abused animal charity/scam commericals/ads at night... can't watch them... can't think about them... pretend it don't happen...

personally, if you can/do abuse/murder animals, you can/do/will abuse/murder people, and you should be locked up as "a danger to society"... or preferably shot on the spot - I wish (as can be seen I'm a bit of a tyrant-extreme, when it comes to bad people, no mercy for evil/bad people from me. Some things done by people are NOT forgivable)

-------------------------

I don't mind animals having conflict/killing with/other animals, as that's the "wild - their real world of survival", eat or be eaten, kill or be killed, but humans need to keep to their world and not bring it to the animal world... dog fights do NOT apply to the "wild", they're our doing, our evil doing! now if free dogs fight with each other, that's fine as they're defending/invading their territories, and that's their world of survival. but gladiatorial-death matches of dogs trapped in an arena/cages by humans, is evil!

I hate human disasters or wars too (falling buildings from earthquakes, pets trapped at home during floods or fires), I always cry thinking about all the animals dead. When we drop bombs, I don't think about the poeple, I think about the poor animals... they're completely innocent, the "collateral damage", I just can't accept.

I don't mind people killing people, ya I know that's "inhumane", but we've been "writing our blood stained history ever since we first stood upright (Mobile Suit Gundam Wing*, hehe)", so I am not bothered when people die, as there's so many of us anyways, and it's our own doing, we deserve what we do to each other. We have only ourselves to blame for how we treat or what we do to each other. I have no sympathy for people. We're thee most violent animal, and even beyond that, we're evil. we go beyond survival, we kill for sport, we exterminate/erradicate beyond the single instance of conflict, we hold grudges/hatred that lead to later in time violence, we wage war, and etc.

*this is really an excellent manga/anime, as it tackles the ultimate issue dealing with humanity, our violence and wars with each other, how to actually end violence and war truly once and for all. So, ambitious an endeavor, and it does so quite well. It really should be watched by everyone. Heero Yuy truly has the answer:D Wars are people, "Anyone who fights is my enemy (Mobile Suit Gundam Wing)" and "How many times must I kill that girl and her dog? (Endlesss Waltz movie, sequal to Mobile Suit Gundam Wing)", so kill all the people who fight, and poof, no more war. And also, the failed attempt of the concept of a "world war":D We thought WW1 we be so awful it would end wars, obviously it didn't. Not because it was a failed idea, but because it wasn't actually a "war to end all wars". If we truly make a war so horrific and terrible, it can eradicate our desire for violence and war within our hearts, as that's the root cause, humans do violence and war, you have to eradicate that desire/evil within people, you have to burn it into people that violence and war are not options. It's not this simple... but it's an interesting idea-start, and it sure would be nice though if it was this simple.

but it breaks my heart when certain animals die. some animals I could care less about (like cows or whatever - insects**), though don't get me wrong, I'd not want to ever see/think about slaughterhouses even for the animals I don't care about)... but others are dear to me as loved ones (like dogs/wolves).

**Though, there was an old movie when I was little, Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, and it humanized the "good" ant against the "evil" scorpian, I so cried when the ant was killed by the scorpian, lol.

Last edited:

alice&uncas

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Bambi
A Bug's Life
Doug's 1st Movie
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
James and the Giant Peach
Lady and the Tramp
Peter Pan
Mighty Joe Young
The Princess and the Frog
Tangled

Hanihime

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Beauty and the Beast.
Best Disney movie IMO.

jorped

The True Ninja
Reaction score
Country
Portugal
When i was a kid there didn't exist a single film of Disney that i didn't see!!!

I loved them , and my favourites were:

The Lion King;
Aladin;
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs;
A Bug's Life ( even though it was not Disney );
Peter Pan;
The Jungle Book;

blai

Corporate
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
To me it was a surprisingly easy choice. I treasure and cherish so many old Disney movies and can watch Aladin, AristoCats, 101 Dalmatians, Snowwhite, The Jungle Book again and again but my favourite is, hands down, Lion King.

It's such a majestic piece that, I can't even describe it. That movie can teach a person everything he needs to know about life. I have been to South-Africa myself and seen everything you could see. Animals, remnants of apartheid, unjustice, luxury, sun city, etc. and while there I visited some nature reserves and to be truthful, the feeling I had when sitting on an ATV, driving through a herd of gnus while looking out over the savannah was the same as when I saw the intro for the first time. It's simply astounding.
And the graphics are splendid with one of the most powerful soundtracks throughout time!

That movie is just as good for adults as it is for children and one can learn more from that than school.
Seriously, I can laugh and cry at the same time throughout the whole movie.

I get this feeling being home when I watch that movie... *sigh* I'm born in the wrong continent...

Last edited:

britain

Reaction score
Country
United States
guys cartoon or Disney movies always entertain every one thats why many people love to watch them and i also like some these movies like -
Doug's 1st Movie
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
James and the Giant Peach
and i also like some cartoon based movies like Rango movie which has released now these days i love to watch

Aazholh

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Fantasia - the part with the devil on the mountain. Good stuff.

fleshcut

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
the fox and the hound the entire movie is so sad :D i love it

clamche

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
The Lion King, but only the first movie. And maybe the Hakuna Matata movie too

RaveDragon

Reaction score
Country
Malta
A disney thread :O hooray xD
I'd say disney is pretty much a family all age kind of company so i'm proud t love it!
I cant say i have a favourite but The Lion King, Lady and the tramp and the animal ones are really love them but also Mulan is awesome, Mushu for president =D, and Hercules especially as i am a fan of mythology ^^

Also i think Tangled is worth mentioning, it has some classic charm in it and i just love Pascal and Max's expressions ^^

HegemonKhan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Disney did Prince of Persia right, or no? (too lazy to look it up, lol). It was disappointing... sighs... :(

Did anyone like Prince of Persia (if it was done by Disney) ??

For me... it just was too... bland, dull, and corny... Disney really dropped the ball on this... (if it was Disney that done it, lol)

Last edited:

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Oh yeah I think it was my favorite, too!

Apart from movies: They made the coolest (non-anime) tv series of all times: Gargoyles. It really scared me when I was young, but it was incredibly cool at the same time :D

HegemonKhan

Reaction score
Country
United States
yes, Gargoyles was absolutely awesome, they practically over the series, told all of the legends, myths, and fantasies within the all past countries of our the world.

"Oberon does not compromise, Oberon COMMANDS!"

It was THEE "forerunner" to Claymore, lol :D

so, if you like Gargoyles, you got to check out Claymore, hehe :D

---------------------

it's sequal (second season), the Goliath Chronicles, was lame though.

Last edited:

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
yes, Gargoyles was absolutely awesome, they practically over the series, told all of the legends, myths, and fantasies within the all past countries of our the world.

"Oberon does not compromise, Oberon COMMANDS!"

It was THEE "forerunner" to Claymore, lol :D

so, if you like Gargoyles, you got to check out Claymore, hehe :D

---------------------

it's sequal (second season), the Goliath Chronicles, was lame though.
I haven't ever watched that so I won't bother doing so in the future, either :XD

Perhaps I kinda preserved that taste... from Gargoyles to Berserk? Kinda makes sense I think ;)
I might check out Claymore, too, then.

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
I second to this. My most favourite one closely followed by the jungle book and the lion king

indieRokker

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Lion King I & II. Always has been, always will be. Though Pinocchio comes close to it in a way, but still, Lion King was one of the first disney movies I watched.