Question - What should of luffies first bounty been? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Question What should of luffies first bounty been?

john ellis

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Now knowing he is dragons son, garps grand son and the weilder of the sun god fruit. What should of luffies first bounty been as a pirate.
I think his starting bounty should of been 500m

Hannibal Psyche

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Way too much, bounties are given for 1 reason, you commit a crime against the WG or a crime that alters the balance of the world.
If you do not commit any crime, you get no bounty which is why Robin had no bounty increase for 20 years because they never found her since the age of 8 where she initially had a 79m bounty iirc, and Brook also had no increase for 50 years because he hadn't done anything to warrant an increase.

Ace also only had a 100m bounty or so for being Roger's son, but also he did defeat a Vice Admiral too. and a Shichibukai at some point. While being related to Dragon and Garp is a big deal, action is what really increases bounty - identity only adds a very little amount.

500m straight off the bat is way too much.

Most people are Pirates for 20+ years and their bounty hasn't gone past 300m despite the fact they're feared and renown Pirates.
Squardo had a bounty of less than 300m, and iirc, Whitebeard gave him command of his fleet because he was one of the most experienced, and 1 of the most powerful.

If you look at a Pirate's bounty increase average, most Pirates have like a 200-500m bounty over 20 years meaning they average between 10m - 25m a year.
Luffy's bounty is 3 billion over the course of 2 years, that's 1.5billion average a year.
Even Katakuri who is 48, let's say he'd been a Pirate since the age of r 18, his bounty would have only gone up 30m a year.
Supernova's bounty average a year is like 100m which is why they're known as the Worst Generation, they gained mad increases in extremely short periods of time.

Kid had a bounty of about 300m before the time skip, he had sailed for 3 years iirc meaning 100m per year; Squardo, let's say he was a Pirate for 30 years and his bounty is at most 300m... he's averaging 10m a year.

I'd say Luffy's initially bounty is high, and this is part of the reason why the WG started looking closely at Luffy after the East Blue saga, he gained a 30m bounty in a very short period of time.

500m right off the bat is way too much, I think one of the highest increases in bounty might be Caesar, think he was given 300m.

john ellis

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Way too much, bounties are given for 1 reason, you commit a crime against the WG or a crime that alters the balance of the world.
If you do not commit any crime, you get no bounty which is why Robin had no bounty increase for 20 years because they never found her since the age of 8 where she initially had a 79m bounty iirc, and Brook also had no increase for 50 years because he hadn't done anything to warrant an increase.

Ace also only had a 100m bounty or so for being Roger's son, but also he did defeat a Vice Admiral too. and a Shichibukai at some point. While being related to Dragon and Garp is a big deal, action is what really increases bounty - identity only adds a very little amount.

500m straight off the bat is way too much.

Most people are Pirates for 20+ years and their bounty hasn't gone past 300m despite the fact they're feared and renown Pirates.
Squardo had a bounty of less than 300m, and iirc, Whitebeard gave him command of his fleet because he was one of the most experienced, and 1 of the most powerful.

If you look at a Pirate's bounty increase average, most Pirates have like a 200-500m bounty over 20 years meaning they average between 10m - 25m a year.
Luffy's bounty is 3 billion over the course of 2 years, that's 1.5billion average a year.
Even Katakuri who is 48, let's say he'd been a Pirate since the age of r 18, his bounty would have only gone up 30m a year.
Supernova's bounty average a year is like 100m which is why they're known as the Worst Generation, they gained mad increases in extremely short periods of time.

Kid had a bounty of about 300m before the time skip, he had sailed for 3 years iirc meaning 100m per year; Squardo, let's say he was a Pirate for 30 years and his bounty is at most 300m... he's averaging 10m a year.

I'd say Luffy's initially bounty is high, and this is part of the reason why the WG started looking closely at Luffy after the East Blue saga, he gained a 30m bounty in a very short period of time.

500m right off the bat is way too much, I think one of the highest increases in bounty might be Caesar, think he was given 300m.
I’m not sure the WG new he was Roger’s son when assigning him that bounty. He surely would have gotten a 300-500m bounty if they knew. But on top of that, because being related to dragon/garp is probably as bad as being as related to Roger, luffy has the sun god fruit.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

@Hannibal Psyche i also think your arguments are weak and disprove your point more than they help at all. Roger and garp are clearly yonko level figures in the world.you mentioned kata, whose bounty is probably mostly attributed like most yonko crew pirates to being affiliated with a yonko .

Luffy is affiliated with dragon and garp, two arguably “yonkos” having someone with this lingage factor and connections is dangerous to the world government likewise being connected to a yonko’s crew. Nani’s bounty went from 66 to 366 purely of being connected to luffy. Being connected to a yonko is clearly worth 300m alone. Luffy is connected with dragon and has the sun god fruit. As such I don’t see why actions are as important then connections unless you want to justify why Nami is a bigger threat then post water 7 luffy.

Your second point just was off averages. Averages have no meaning here, luffy is so far beyond a reasonable average he’s possibly the most dangerous pirate or close to it to ever set sail. He has all the key ingredients of being an extremely dangerous pirate. That averages just are meaningless

Hannibal Psyche

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
I’m not sure the WG new he was Roger’s son when assigning him that bounty. He surely would have gotten a 300-500m bounty if they knew. But on top of that, because being related to dragon/garp is probably as bad as being as related to Roger, luffy has the sun god fruit.
They did know, in the Ace novel, part of the reason they wanted to make him a shichibukai and part of the reason for his bounty was due to the fact they realised he was Roger's son.

You just can't give someone a 500m bounty, it's way too much.

@Hannibal Psyche i also think your arguments are weak and disprove your point more than they help at all. Roger and garp are clearly yonko level figures in the world.you mentioned kata, whose bounty is probably mostly attributed like most yonko crew pirates to being affiliated with a yonko .

Luffy is affiliated with dragon and garp, two arguably “yonkos” having someone with this lingage factor and connections is dangerous to the world government likewise being connected to a yonko’s crew. Nani’s bounty went from 66 to 366 purely of being connected to luffy. Being connected to a yonko is clearly worth 300m alone. Luffy is connected with dragon and has the sun god fruit. As such I don’t see why actions are as important then connections unless you want to justify why Nami is a bigger threat then post water 7 luffy.

Your second point just was off averages. Averages have no meaning here, luffy is so far beyond a reasonable average he’s possibly the most dangerous pirate or close to it to ever set sail. He has all the key ingredients of being an extremely dangerous pirate. That averages just are meaningless
Not at all, you just have to understand how bounties work.

No one gets a bounty if they don't DO SOMETHING or COMMIT A CRIME.

When you look at a bounty, you have to ask 2 questions:
  • How long have they been Pirates for?
  • And what CRIMES (PLURAL) did they commit to get that bounty?

There's no one that just gets a 1 billion bounty off the bat, anyone with a bounty like that probably has been a Pirate for decades and committed a ton of criminal activity.

And you're wrong about averages, it is very important because it shows how active a Pirate is.

Nami's bounty actually proves my point:
  • She initially had a 16m bounty after Enies Lobby.
  • went up to 66m after Dressrosa, went up by 50m.
  • went up by 300m AFTER Wano.
So, no, it has nothing to do with connection, it's because she was part of one of the hugest crimes/incidents in history that she had such a bounty increase.

You don't get a bounty for association, you get a bounty for commiting a crime or being part of a huge incidident.

john ellis

Reaction score
Country
Australia
They did know, in the Ace novel, part of the reason they wanted to make him a shichibukai and part of the reason for his bounty was due to the fact they realised he was Roger's son.

You just can't give someone a 500m bounty, it's way too much.
I’m honestly surprised they didn’t want to execute him right away. I thought that news was only found out just before marineford, and Blackbeard was given a 2.2b bounty as a first bounty, zoro was given a 800m increase law and Kidd went from 400m to 3bil bounties. Ice former admiral will probably be given a 3b bounty. Like I just don’t see why 500m first time bounty is that unreasonable from the stories current view point. I understand from the view point 20 years ago but there has been an inflation on bounties to account for. Hence the warlords new bounties

Hannibal Psyche

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
I’m honestly surprised they didn’t want to execute him right away.
They knew quite early on, they tried to make him a Shichibukai when he got to Sabaody probably to lure him. They believed he was Roger's son because:
He was a D.
He was also growing in strength way too quickly.
They sent a Vice Admiral to fight him at a time he wasn't able to use Haki, but Ace grew in that fight, developed Haki and defeated the VA.

I thought that news was only found out just before marineford, and Blackbeard was given a 2.2b bounty as a first bounty,
He wasn't.

Bounties ONLY go up if you commit a crime.
  • Blackbeard became active over 2 years ago in the OP world, so probably 3 years ago.
  • After Marineford, he'd have received a bounty, and then he took over Whitebeard's territory, so he'd have received an additional bounty.
SO, it's absolutely impossible that he got a 2.2 billion bounty for his first bounty. More so, you can't be active for 3 years and not have bounty increases, you won't just have 1 bounty for 3 years.

zoro was given a 800m increase law and Kidd went from 400m to 3bil bounties.
Well, of course it went up, they just pulled off THE GREATEST incident the world has ever known in the last 2-3 generations. They defeated 2 Emperors! Of course their bounties went up into the billions, they changed the entire landscape of the world with that 1 incident.

Again, you don't just get a 500m bounty off the bat, bounties are something you accumulate over time. Even if you get a 500m bounty, it won't be for relationships, it would be because you must have done something that really shook the world.

The amount by which a bounty goes up is proportional to the size of the crime that was committed.

Like I just don’t see why 500m first time bounty is that unreasonable from the stories current view point. I understand from the view point 20 years ago but there has been an inflation on bounties to account for. Hence the warlords new bounties
No such thing as inflation in the OP world, if so, Robin's bounty wouldn't have been the same for 20 years, it would have changed value overtime to consider inflation.

500m as a first bounty simply for being related to someone is extremely unreasonable.

Like I said, unless you commit a crime or are part of an incident that warrants gaining a bounty of 500m straight off the bat? No one is getting such a bounty increase. The only person who could do that would be Yamato, she played a huge role in defeating Kaido and Big Mom, plus, I am not saying heritage and such don't play a role, but very minimally.

9 out of 10 times, anyone with a 500m bounty didn't just earn it from 1 crime/incident, they would have committed many crimes, been part of many incidents and very likely would have been Pirates for decades.

I understand from the view point 20 years ago but there has been an inflation on bounties to account for. Hence the warlords new bounties
Not at all, inflation didn't take 80m bounty to 2 billion, that's not inflation.
They just became an Emperor crew and are the leaders of it.

If that was inflation, Robin would also have a 2 billion bounty like Crocodile since she and Croc had the same bounty.

Bounties don't go up for inflation nor do they just go up because. They only go up for 1 reason:
Commit a Crime or are Involved in a major incident if it's know, it will go up, otherwise? No.

Reason Luffy didn't get a bounty increase after Thriller Bark for example was because it didn't make the news, and the WG didn't want people to know a Shichibukai was defeated which would make the WG look weak, so they swept those events under the rug and tried to dispose of Moriah during Marineford as to maintain their Warlord system as perfect and reliable.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

I'll just put it this way, your idea of earning a first initially bounty of 500m is like a 22 year old uni graduate earning a first pay check of $1 million a year. It's not reasonable in the sense that they're 22, it's unreasonable in the sense that most people have to be super educated, really contributing to a business or are just doing something really exceptional to earn that sort of money.

Is it possible for a 22 year old to earn a million a year? Yeah. Maybe they're geniuses who could gain a high level position in Google or Apple or Amazon. They'd have to be beyond exceptional.

An initial 500m bounty is like that, is it possible? Yes, but chances are anyone who has a 500m bounty or irl earns a million... has been active for years, extremely experienced veteran in whatever field they're in, they'd have to have achieved and done a lot of things.
Unlikely you're just born and boom.... 500m beri bounty, even Robin who holds the location and secrets to Ancient Weapons and capable of reading Poneglyphs... her first bounty was 80m which seems little, but consider this... even Luffy's first bounty was just 30m, and that's when the WG started looking at him.

Hannibal Psyche

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
What bounty did Luffy commit in Whole Cake or Wano?
Crime or Incident.
Crime against the WG or Incident that the WG see as a threat to their standing.
WCI was an incident, thus a bounty was given.
Infiltrated WCI, destroyed her base, defeated 2 commanders, allied with Germa, Jimbei and then escaped.

LIke the Manga has shown, bounties are only given after a known crime or incident.

john ellis

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Crime or Incident.
Crime against the WG or Incident that the WG see as a threat to their standing.
WCI was an incident, thus a bounty was given.
Infiltrated WCI, destroyed her base, defeated 2 commanders, allied with Germa, Jimbei and then escaped.

LIke the Manga has shown, bounties are only given after a known crime or incident.
There are people who do get offered 1 million dollar contracts outside of uni. It’s rare and you need family connections, however luffy ticks all these boxes. This is why I don’t like your arguement on averages, averages are meaningless when you’re looking at the top 1%, luffy is the top 1% of the OP world. He had lingage in garp and dragon, and a very broken mythical zoan.

for what it’s worth I think robins first bounty should of been 200-500m aswell. But like by every metric, luffy is the top 1% he had broken lineage factor, broken devil fruit. Took down the entire east blue within a week of starting pirating. Took down a warlord within a month. Declared war on the world government and blew up one of thete 3 main islands, insults thek at Marineford and became an emperor of the sea in a mere 2 years. It’s quite clear luffy is the most dangerous pirate on the seas.

Last edited:

Hannibal Psyche

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
There are people who do get offered 1 million dollar contracts outside of uni. It’s rare and you need family connections, however luffy ticks all these boxes. This is why I don’t like your arguement on averages, averages are meaningless when you’re looking at the top 1%, luffy is the top 1% of the OP world. He had lingage in garp and dragon, and a very broken mythical zoan.

for what it’s worth I think robins first bounty should of been 200-500m aswell. But like by every metric, luffy is the top 1% he had broken lineage factor, broken devil fruit. Took down the entire east blue within a week of starting pirating. Took down a warlord within a month. Declared war on the world government and blew up one of thete 3 main islands, insults thek at Marineford and became an emperor of the sea in a mere 2 years. It’s quite clear luffy is the most dangerous pirate on the seas.
Lineage means nothing mate, only thing that gives you a bounty is the crime you commit.

Name me one person who earned a bounty without a crime or incident? You'll have your work caught out for you.

Even Robin, the WG had to make up a crime she did to give her a bounty, they said she destroyed few battleships in order to get a 79m bounty, so again:
  • Name one person who earned a bounty without committing a crime or being part of an incident?

Because it seems you don't understand that no one gets a bounty without a crime or incident. You can have all the lineage in the world, it means absolutely nothing if you don't do anything.

Bounties aren't meant to be psychic.
You can't just look at someone and say 300m bounty, 2 billion bounty. Bounty isn't a speculative figure, bounty is an incremental figure that goes up only after a crime, not how dangerous you are.

Until you do something criminal, you can't get a bounty.
  1. So, Luffy did xyz... did the WG know he was going to take down East blue? No
  2. Did the WG know he'll enter Enies Lobby and declare war against the wg? No.
  3. Did the WG know he'd punch a CD, break into ID and fight at Marineford? No.
So, how should they then discern he should have a 500m bounty all the way from East Blue?

Handsight is 2020, it's easy to claim "oh yeah he should have 200 billion bounty" after he's done everything he's done,
You know what, I can win the lottery after the lottery has been won because I just have to say "I should just have written these numbers and I'd win"
It's easy for you to claim "oh yeah 200m minimum" after what, 3-4 arcs of committing so many crimes? They're not psychic, they can't know what he's going to do before he does it.

Robin's bounty is fine where it is, 79m as an 8 year old is high enough. Most Pirates don't even get 100m until many years later. I think you just don't value the numbers. Robin got a 79m bounty for 1 crime, that's high.
100m bounty seems small, but it is a lot. Only reason bounties seem low is because we're dealing with the elite of the elites, we're dealing with the .1% of Pirates who have crazy bounties.

No one just gets a 500m bounty just like that. Unless you're a subordinate defeating Emperors prior to your first bounty, you don't get a 500m bounty.

Also, bounty doesn't really state how dangerous you are, it only lets people know you're a criminal and have been in a bunch of crimes/incidents. Robin had a bounty of 79m, yet was said to be the most dangerous person in the world. Bounty isn't a summary of danger, bounty is a summary of all the crimes you've committed which is why:
  • After each crime/incident, bounty goes up.
Once people understand this fact about bounties, people begin to understand what bounties really are. Bounties never go up for any other reason.

Usopp having a 500m bounty doesn't make him more dangerous than Robin when she had a 79m bounty, it doesn't make him 6x more dangerous. As long as you commit a crime, a bounty will be given, and added to your original bounty.

Bounty is not a speculative figure where you guess what someone will do, and then give them a bounty,
Bounty is given based on what said criminal has done.

Do you know Burgess when first introduced only had a bounty of 20m, Zoro had a 60m bounty. Burgess already knew Haki and was someone capable of fighting/defeating most people in the New World. Zoro had no Haki, could barely defeat anyone in the New World but had a bounty 3x higher than Burgess... Bounties don't work how you think, bounties work based on the crimes you've committed, and the only reason Zoro's higher is because he's been associated with crimes of greater influence.

There is a lot of misunderstanding regarding bounty. People just think it's based on strength or danger. It's based on activity. A lot more nuanced than understood.

Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I don't think the WG would out of the blue give someone that gigantic a bounty and give him that much attention. So far the bigger first bounties we have seen round the 100 mil mark which is also framed as a milestone for rookies. So far 300 mil is framed as an amount which is difficult to go beyond and at 500 mil or so you are in the realm of legendary pirates... I don't see just existing getting someone a 500 mil bounty at least. To me it's also unclear whether the gorosei even care about bounties, so far they have been uninvolved in that though it's not unreasonable to assume they can simply issue bounties.

costicla

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania
Well, even if all his family connections and fruit were not taken into consideration, Luffy's first bounty should habe been bigger just because he also defeated Kuro and his crew, which I think the Marines did not know about at the time, since they thought they captured and executed Kuro (maybe they found out when they captured Jango in this cover story, but that was later anyway).

So Luffy's first bounty maybe coud have been maybe something like 40-50 million at first, though I don't know if the Marines would want people to find out Kuro was defeated by some rookie pirate, when he should have already been killed by the Marines.

john ellis

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Lineage means nothing mate, only thing that gives you a bounty is the crime you commit.

Name me one person who earned a bounty without a crime or incident? You'll have your work caught out for you.

Even Robin, the WG had to make up a crime she did to give her a bounty, they said she destroyed few battleships in order to get a 79m bounty, so again:
  • Name one person who earned a bounty without committing a crime or being part of an incident?

Because it seems you don't understand that no one gets a bounty without a crime or incident. You can have all the lineage in the world, it means absolutely nothing if you don't do anything.

Bounties aren't meant to be psychic.
You can't just look at someone and say 300m bounty, 2 billion bounty. Bounty isn't a speculative figure, bounty is an incremental figure that goes up only after a crime, not how dangerous you are.

Until you do something criminal, you can't get a bounty.
  1. So, Luffy did xyz... did the WG know he was going to take down East blue? No
  2. Did the WG know he'll enter Enies Lobby and declare war against the wg? No.
  3. Did the WG know he'd punch a CD, break into ID and fight at Marineford? No.
So, how should they then discern he should have a 500m bounty all the way from East Blue?

Handsight is 2020, it's easy to claim "oh yeah he should have 200 billion bounty" after he's done everything he's done,
You know what, I can win the lottery after the lottery has been won because I just have to say "I should just have written these numbers and I'd win"
It's easy for you to claim "oh yeah 200m minimum" after what, 3-4 arcs of committing so many crimes? They're not psychic, they can't know what he's going to do before he does it.

Robin's bounty is fine where it is, 79m as an 8 year old is high enough. Most Pirates don't even get 100m until many years later. I think you just don't value the numbers. Robin got a 79m bounty for 1 crime, that's high.
100m bounty seems small, but it is a lot. Only reason bounties seem low is because we're dealing with the elite of the elites, we're dealing with the .1% of Pirates who have crazy bounties.

No one just gets a 500m bounty just like that. Unless you're a subordinate defeating Emperors prior to your first bounty, you don't get a 500m bounty.

Also, bounty doesn't really state how dangerous you are, it only lets people know you're a criminal and have been in a bunch of crimes/incidents. Robin had a bounty of 79m, yet was said to be the most dangerous person in the world. Bounty isn't a summary of danger, bounty is a summary of all the crimes you've committed which is why:
  • After each crime/incident, bounty goes up.
Once people understand this fact about bounties, people begin to understand what bounties really are. Bounties never go up for any other reason.

Usopp having a 500m bounty doesn't make him more dangerous than Robin when she had a 79m bounty, it doesn't make him 6x more dangerous. As long as you commit a crime, a bounty will be given, and added to your original bounty.

Bounty is not a speculative figure where you guess what someone will do, and then give them a bounty,
Bounty is given based on what said criminal has done.

Do you know Burgess when first introduced only had a bounty of 20m, Zoro had a 60m bounty. Burgess already knew Haki and was someone capable of fighting/defeating most people in the New World. Zoro had no Haki, could barely defeat anyone in the New World but had a bounty 3x higher than Burgess... Bounties don't work how you think, bounties work based on the crimes you've committed, and the only reason Zoro's higher is because he's been associated with crimes of greater influence.

There is a lot of misunderstanding regarding bounty. People just think it's based on strength or danger. It's based on activity. A lot more nuanced than understood.
They marines literally wanted to wipe Roger’s lineage off the face of the world they went to great lengths to Pune any women who has had contact with Roger, they certain consider ace being Roger’s son and luffy being dragons son a crime. They certainly care about lineage factors. Ace would have been given a bounty at birth for his lineage factor and would have been executed. Garp went through lengths to hide him so did ace’s mother. The second they caught ace they pubically executed him. A somewhat rare event for pirates.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

I don't think the WG would out of the blue give someone that gigantic a bounty and give him that much attention. So far the bigger first bounties we have seen round the 100 mil mark which is also framed as a milestone for rookies. So far 300 mil is framed as an amount which is difficult to go beyond and at 500 mil or so you are in the realm of legendary pirates... I don't see just existing getting someone a 500 mil bounty at least. To me it's also unclear whether the gorosei even care about bounties, so far they have been uninvolved in that though it's not unreasonable to assume they can simply issue bounties.
I think they usually don’t care but they do when the balance of the world is question. I’m sure they were the ones to issue robins bounty, and would have issued baby ace with a bounty had they known. Also bounty inflation exists. The 300m statement was made nearly a decade ago I’m sure it’s less true today. Early bounties have been corrected by oda, the warlords having 500-2bil bounties make more sense then they do 80m-500m bounties. Robin’s bounty was probably equivalent to 400m of todays bounties. It’s just hard to evaluate a proper scale of your world 4 years into a 26 year world.

Hannibal Psyche

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
They marines literally wanted to wipe Roger’s lineage off the face of the world they went to great lengths to Pune any women who has had contact with Roger, they certain consider ace being Roger’s son and luffy being dragons son a crime. They certainly care about lineage factors. Ace would have been given a bounty at birth for his lineage factor and would have been executed. Garp went through lengths to hide him so did ace’s mother. The second they caught ace they pubically executed him. A somewhat rare event for pirates.
It is irrelevant.

If you don't commit a crime, you can't be given a bounty.

Again, provide an instance of a bounty given without an incident or crime?

Early bounties have been corrected by oda
That is false, they haven't been corrected. You're making this up, lol.
Bounties have only changed according to crime.

Also bounty inflation exists.
Absolutely false. Inflation has NEVER been a thing.

Just because 20 years has gone by IRL doesn't mean 20 years went by in One Piece, lol.

Robin's bounty went up by 1 MILLION after Enies Lobby arc which is only 20 years after Robin's initial bounty, so the idea that inflation is a thing in One Piece is absolutely false.
79m didn't become 80m after 20 years, Robin was involved in a huge incident/crime, so she got given a new bounty.

If the Warlord's bounty was increased due to inflation:
  • 79m becoming 80m would mean inflation went up by 1% in the span of 20 years.
By those metrics:
  • Crocodile's bounty won't be 1.9 billion after 1% inflation.
Your numbers aren't adding up, and the fact of the matter is your claims here are just plain false. No such thing as inflation and bounty only goes up according to activity.
Unless you want to now claim that inflation went up by 1% in 20 years, and then 2 years later, inflation went up by 2500%... what you're implying, the ramifications are just absurd if inflation is a factor in One Piece.

Last edited:

john ellis

Reaction score
Country
Australia
It is irrelevant.

If you don't commit a crime, you can't be given a bounty.

Again, provide an instance of a bounty given without an incident or crime?

That is false, they haven't been corrected. You're making this up, lol.
Bounties have only changed according to crime.

Absolutely false. Inflation has NEVER been a thing.

Just because 20 years has gone by IRL doesn't mean 20 years went by in One Piece, lol.

Robin's bounty went up by 1 MILLION after Enies Lobby arc which is only 20 years after Robin's initial bounty, so the idea that inflation is a thing in One Piece is absolutely false.
79m didn't become 80m after 20 years, Robin was involved in a huge incident/crime, so she got given a new bounty.

If the Warlord's bounty was increased due to inflation:
  • 79m becoming 80m would mean inflation went up by 1% in the span of 20 years.
By those metrics:
  • Crocodile's bounty won't be 1.9 billion after 1% inflation.
Your numbers aren't adding up, and the fact of the matter is your claims here are just plain false. No such thing as inflation and bounty only goes up according to activity.
Unless you want to now claim that inflation went up by 1% in 20 years, and then 2 years later, inflation went up by 2500%... what you're implying, the ramifications are just absurd if inflation is a factor in One Piece.
I’m not talking inflation in terms of the real world, early one piece oda wasn’t sure on the bounty cap and hadn’t ironed out what bounties should be. The warlord’s realistically should have all been yc1+ fighters logically in the native of the story. The inflation was caused by better world building and you can see the reflection in the warlords new bounties.

@Hannibal Psych according to your logic boa got a 1.6b bounty for merely evading being captured. You don’t get a 1.6b bounty off merely evading being captured even by an admiral. Otherwise luffy should have been given a 1.6b bounty wise pre time skip. So logical boa’s bounty war s bounty correction on top of avoided being captured and likely would of had a bounty correction even if she hadn’t avoided being captured as the marines said they were reissueinng the warlords bounties.

Hannibal Psyche

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
The warlord’s realistically should have all been yc1+ fighters logically in the native of the story. The inflation was caused by better world building and you can see the reflection in the warlords new bounties.
Sorry, but this is all nonsense, lol. There is no such thing as inflation or better world building.

You don’t get a 1.6b bounty off merely evading being captured even by an admiral.
Actually, you do, it's a crime to fight off against the WG.
A huge incident occurred which Boa was involved in with an Emperor and Rayleigh.
What happened there damaged the WG's image and they failed their objective.
Again, get this - BOUNTIES go up IF -
  • you commit a crime.
  • or are involved in a huge incident.
Oh wow, what ever could have happened? Blackbeard + Rayleigh + Pacifista and WG fleets and the WG failed. Suddenly, new bounty? Not that shocking... that how bounties work, do something, get bounty, simple.

likely would of had a bounty correction even if she hadn’t avoided being captured as the marines said they were reissueinng the warlords bounties.
You are wrong, lol.

No one gets a bounty or bounty increase without a crime. Once you grasp this, you'll be fine.

Not coincidence that Boa's bounty came after the WG came after them.
You can make up your non-fiction, but the fact of the matter is a bounty or an increase requires a crime or incident.

I’m not talking inflation in terms of the real world, early one piece oda wasn’t sure on the bounty cap and hadn’t ironed out what bounties should be.
What's your source, did he say this in an SBS or Magazine? Nope, you're making things up, sorry, that's just nonsense. Sticking to the facts.

TitaniumOxide

Reaction score
Country
United States
Luffy's first bounty was 30m. If the WG knew everything they did back then I'd say it can be 130m. The extra is by association. The name, Monkey D. Is Garp's and Dragon's name. The public may not know that at the time but Garp and Dragon were both part of the marines so they can connect the dots. I don't believe they'd let people join without at least getting their whole names. Like Robin, the crime would be "by association" kind of like how it is a crime to be alive and be a Lunarian. But that's it. 130m. 500 is too much even if he was exceptional but truth is, he wasn't at the time. Unlike BM who took out giants Luffy cannot do that then. His threat level was far lower even by association to his lineage.

Hannibal Psyche

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Luffy's first bounty was 30m. If the WG knew everything they did back then I'd say it can be 130m. The extra is by association. The name, Monkey D. Is Garp's and Dragon's name. The public may not know that at the time but Garp and Dragon were both part of the marines so they can connect the dots. I don't believe they'd let people join without at least getting their whole names. Like Robin, the crime would be "by association" kind of like how it is a crime to be alive and be a Lunarian. But that's it. 130m. 500 is too much even if he was exceptional but truth is, he wasn't at the time. Unlike BM who took out giants Luffy cannot do that then. His threat level was far lower even by association to his lineage.
You're a 100% right about 500m being way too much. I'd even say 130m is too much simply because what it takes to acquire that level of bounty takes doing some really crazy stuff especially if it is in one go.
  1. Kaido's first bounty was 70m iirc.
  2. Big Mom's first bounty was 50m.
  3. Hancock's first bounty was 80m which is why she got invited into becoming a Shichibukai.
500m is certainly too much like you said.

When most Pirates commit crimes, it's not like they're defeating warlords or breaking into WG facilities or direct attacks against the WG, when they get initial bounties, they're lucky if they get anything over 50m.

Luffy is literally the only Pirate that is as crazy as he is:
  • He defeated Crocodile, a warlord which earned him a 70m+ bounty increase.
  • Went on to defeat CP9 and shot a WG flag increasing his bounty by 200m.
  • Punched a CD, broke into Impel Down, Escaped with prisoners and then fought in Marineford for a 100m increase to get a 400m bounty.
  • He then defeated Joker, another Warlord.
I just don't see how anyone can justify a 500m bounty as a first bounty, makes no sense at all when they've hardly done anything to warrant such a bounty.

XXGenesis

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Turkmenistan
@Hannibal Psyche has made some good points about a crime against the WG is needed to be issued a bounty…..

So if we just insert the fact Luffy is Dragon’s son as common knowledge back when he gets his first bounty….Luffy’s Bounty at best goes to 50-60k.

At this point in the story Luffy’s crimes are very tame, pretty much flying a flag, causing/solving “trouble” in East Blue Islands and defeating other Pirates who had small bounties. His relation to Dragon would not make his bounty sky rocket….

.Luffy went from 300-400M not because of his relation to Dragon but for his shenanigans since Impel down to Returning to a ruined MF to send a message to the SH.

TitaniumOxide

Reaction score
Country
United States
I want to redact what I said.

You're a 100% right about 500m being way too much. I'd even say 130m is too much simply because what it takes to acquire that level of bounty takes doing some really crazy stuff especially if it is in one go.
You're right. 130m is too much. I thought 100m by association to Garp and Dragon is fair simply because how strong Garp is and Dragon is hyped to be a powerhouse too but that actually is incorrect. Robin's initial bounty was nearly 80m but that is because of her association not just to Ohara, but rather, the secrets of the void century because she can read secrets and truths that simply are indestructible. The contents of the void century staying a secret is of the utmost importance because knowing the truth will probably expose at least some details about Imu too. Garp and Dragon simply do not relate to the void century besides their middle initials and I am willing to bet they have no idea what D really means. Sure "D" always bring about big events and whatnot but so what? It doesn't compare to someone who can actually uncover the truth about "D" and the void century.

I would say Luffy's crime by association to his lineage should then be lowered to 50m if even that. Like the only thing they can find as a threat by association here is the obvious...oh he is Garp's grandson!? Wow he probably inherited similar strength which does makes sense but that type of educated guess pales in comparison to knowing that a child can actually uncover the secrets of the world which will probably be able to cause an uproar enough to threaten the grip of power of the World Government. That said, and this may be off topic, but now I feel that Robin should have a higher starting bounty.