Question - What should of luffies first bounty been? | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Question What should of luffies first bounty been?

Fox666

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Crime or Incident.
Crime against the WG or Incident that the WG see as a threat to their standing.
WCI was an incident, thus a bounty was given.
Infiltrated WCI, destroyed her base, defeated 2 commanders, allied with Germa, Jimbei and then escaped.

LIke the Manga has shown, bounties are only given after a known crime or incident.
How is that a crime?

If a civilian defeats pirates, they are rewarded.

If a Marine defeats pirates, they are promoted

If Luffy defeats pirates, his bounty increased because he commited a crime.

???

TitaniumOxide

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
How is that a crime?

???
It's just the way the One Piece world works and by extension, our world too. You might have some truths there though. Luffy defeating Arlong and Alveda...may not be a literal crime but as a pirate doing that it puts you into the spotlight and shows your threat level. The threat may actually be higher but they can only judge you based on actions they know of such as the defeat of Arlong and Buggy. That said, he also took down Axe Hand Morgan who is an actual marine so that definitely is a crime even if he was a corrupt asshole.

If you are a marine or world gov operative killing a bunch of people perceived to be criminals be it back alley crooks like Duval or actual pirates, you are promoted because you are doing your job and doing it well. No threat there. It's pretty logical. If I was a good samaritan and stopped an armed robbery at Jack in the Box I might go on the news and be asked why I did such a brave thing. I might even get free Tacos and Jumbo Jacks for a year (lol I wish) as a show of appreciation. Again, no threat from me either. Pirates are allowed no such incentives. They are just branded to be even worse criminals than the ones they took down. Well maybe if they are celestial dragon descendants...but those are exceptions but even then Shanks still probably has a really high bounty meaning if you are a pirate, you will be treated as such.

Last edited:

Hannibal Psyche

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
How is that a crime?
I'll quote myself since you didn't read what I said properly.
E.g. Anything DONE directly against the WG.
or Incident.
Any incident that occurs irrespective of being a WG agency or not e.g. WCI was an Incident, Wano was an Incident.

Crimes are against the WG.
Incidents are any events that show that the SH crew is a threat... they defeated Kaido in Wano and tore down Big Mom's territory, those are incidents.

Again, read what I said:
I said CRIME or INCIDENT.

It's just how it works in One Piece.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

It's just the way the One Piece world works and by extension, our world too. You might have some truths there though. Luffy defeating Arlong and Alveda...may not be a literal crime but as a pirate doing that it puts you into the spotlight and shows your threat level.
Exactly this, which is why I said:
  • Crime - being anything done directly against the WG like defeating a Warlord, breaking in ID, Marineford, etc.
  • Incident - not against the WG, but shows how much of a threat they are - e.g. Wano, WCI, etc.

DeadlyBeast

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'd say Luffy's bounty is exactly as it should have been at that point in the story. 30m in East Blue was super generous and normally even with the people he defeated/crimes he committed I'd think he'd have topped at around 20m similar to Arlong. But the fact he did all of those things in a super short window of probably a month or two is why he got the 30m bounty which is a solid showing.

XXGenesis

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Turkmenistan
How is that a crime?

???
Why are you confused? You made the clear distinction with your Post.

Luffy is not your average citizen, he’s a pirate. He flys a Jolly Roger on his ship. Pirates are illegal.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I think they usually don’t care but they do when the balance of the world is question. I’m sure they were the ones to issue robins bounty, and would have issued baby ace with a bounty had they known. Also bounty inflation exists. The 300m statement was made nearly a decade ago I’m sure it’s less true today. Early bounties have been corrected by oda, the warlords having 500-2bil bounties make more sense then they do 80m-500m bounties. Robin’s bounty was probably equivalent to 400m of todays bounties. It’s just hard to evaluate a proper scale of your world 4 years into a 26 year world.
I don't think inflation is that much of a thing in OP. Brook had a bounty way back in the day and it held out today. I suppose you could argue a plot based inflation but I don't think that's a thing. Power levels are inconsistent in OP of course but bounties are framed and contextualized as "threat level" which is a fairly subjective view. Outside of crocodile's bounty I don't think they stop working if you look at previous bounties through the lens of more current events. Even luffy's first bounty of 30 mil was the result of that random marine pushing it out of a grudge.

I'd also make the case that the gorosei probably don't see the just any nika user as a massive threat. The nika fruit is a threat when awakened and nika is fully unleashed on the world. And from the gorosei perspective it's a short lived threat as most fruit users are burdened with normal lifespans and an exceptionally dangerous lifestyle.