Who is a better written character guts or griffith | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Who is a better written character guts or griffith

Who is better written?

• Guts

• Griffith

Results are only viewable after voting.

SamuelDean

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
I would say they are both written well.
Griffith s feelings and thoughts are potrayed well, but you have to keep attention.
Guts character might be easier to grasp...But that also is up to the individuum, because many topics are very subtle...like Griffith s suffering or Guts reasons for thinking he had no aim. His deepest wish couldn t be fulfilled...at least that is what he was thinking at that time.

Futomimi

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Both are great characters. My favorite thing about them is that they really do have similar backstories - even though we don't know much of Griffith's past, it's strongly suggested he had humble beginnings. Both characters realized they had to do for themselves, but in the early manga Gattsu is like a wild animal and Griffith is more willing to "play the game" to further a greater vision. Early Gattsu has absolutely no vision, he's all about the present. Even now, he's just looking for a way out, a path to peace.

IMO Griffith was made out to be the hero of the story - he saves Midland, he leads his comrades to glory, but then in his defining moment, when everything is on the line, he reveals his true nature. Gattsu was in many ways a villain. He's presented as the protagonist, but he kills hundreds of men (not apostles) partly to survive but mostly just to find himself. As readers we know the true nature of Gattsu, but it's understandable that the rest of the world sees him as an antisocial monster. So I actually think Gattsu has a lot of depth like Griffith, but we're so used to seeing him as a hero we forget how grey he is.

My favorite Golden Age Gattsu moment is him coming to rescue Griffith from the tower. For Griffith, I liked when he imagined Gattsu and Caska taking care of him and how it mirrored Gattsu seeing Griffith after he assassinated the king's brother.

Also I really liked Caska, and could never get over the new Caska - really hope Miura doesn't disappoint this winter.

SamuelDean

Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
Both are great characters. My favorite thing about them is that they really do have similar backstories - even though we don't know much of Griffith's past, it's strongly suggested he had humble beginnings. Both characters realized they had to do for themselves, but in the early manga Gattsu is like a wild animal and Griffith is more willing to "play the game" to further a greater vision. Early Gattsu has absolutely no vision, he's all about the present. Even now, he's just looking for a way out, a path to peace.

IMO Griffith was made out to be the hero of the story - he saves Midland, he leads his comrades to glory, but then in his defining moment, when everything is on the line, he reveals his true nature. Gattsu was in many ways a villain. He's presented as the protagonist, but he kills hundreds of men (not apostles) partly to survive but mostly just to find himself. As readers we know the true nature of Gattsu, but it's understandable that the rest of the world sees him as an antisocial monster. So I actually think Gattsu has a lot of depth like Griffith, but we're so used to seeing him as a hero we forget how grey he is.

My favorite Golden Age Gattsu moment is him coming to rescue Griffith from the tower. For Griffith, I liked when he imagined Gattsu and Caska taking care of him and how it mirrored Gattsu seeing Griffith after he assassinated the king's brother.

Also I really liked Caska, and could never get over the new Caska - really hope Miura doesn't disappoint this winter.
In Berserk it is all about fate. Griffith s fate was to become a Godhand, that is why he was brought in a situation it was very likely for him to choose that way.
So not really he was a villain from the start.
Besides I think Guts killed nearly just as much people and I have real problems to find a "pure and innocent" person in that manga.

Franckie

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
In Berserk it is all about fate. Griffith s fate was to become a Godhand, that is why he was brought in a situation it was very likely for him to choose that way.
So not really he was a villain from the start.
Besides I think Guts killed nearly just as much people and I have real problems to find a "pure and innocent" person in that manga.
I've seen people make a convincing case that Griffith was manipulated into becoming Femto since the IoE and the Godhand were manipulating him prior to his conception. But what happened afterwards, like Femto raping Casca in front of Guts, is to highlight that Neo-Griffith is not a good man... err, demon. This is reinforced with Griffith's ruthless demeanor after his reincarnation. Old-Griffith is a saint compared to his current self, like how Neo-Griffith mercilessly cuts down retreating soldiers (his old self didn't do this). This is highlighted by Rickert pointing out the Crest of the Band of the Hawk under Neo-Griffith is different compared to Old-Griffith. Neo-Griffith is still a villain through and through. The major problem with his character is his lack of antagonism during Guts' party. Antagonists who fail to antagonize (or harm) the main cast lack plot importance and are boring. Hopefully Elfheim will correct this dynamic.

SamuelDean

Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
[QUOTE="Franckie, post: 4642950, member: 45522"
]I've seen people make a convincing case that Griffith was manipulated into becoming Femto since the IoE and the Godhand were manipulating him prior to his conception.
It is depicted in the manga like this, that fate/gods/godhand intended for Griffith to become one of them.
Though he was not innocent and it was his free decision.
But the circumstances under which the decision arised, are an important factor, since I doubt Griffith would have made the same decision given different circumstances.
Why? Because he had to sacrifice the people he loved. The Band of the Hawk, especially Guts and Casca.
Going back to the Blackswordsmith arc, when Griffith made his first entry, we learn, that a sacrifice is just possible, if you sacrifice somebody you love. It is even explained, that it has to be the most important person/people.

But what happened afterwards, like Femto raping Casca in front of Guts, is to highlight that Neo-Griffith is not a good man... err, demon.
That is obvious. Griffith lost his human side, his feelings and attachments for the people he cared before. Rickert even states, that he feels much more like Griffith, than the human Griffith, since he now clearly is the embodiment of the image, everybody projected onto him before.

By the way...it is not important,if it was before or after Guts...he was raping Casca. That is bad enough...like Guts nearly raped Casca in her critical state of mind...

This is reinforced with Griffith's ruthless demeanor after his reincarnation. Old-Griffith is a saint compared to his current self, like how Neo-Griffith mercilessly cuts down retreating soldiers (his old self didn't do this). This is highlighted by Rickert pointing out the Crest of the Band of the Hawk under Neo-Griffith is different compared to Old-Griffith. Neo-Griffith is still a villain through and through. The major problem with his character is his lack of antagonism during Guts' party. Antagonists who fail to antagonize (or harm) the main cast lack plot importance and are boring. Hopefully Elfheim will correct this dynamic
No. But I have even problems putting Guts in the hero category. Clearly "good people"...are maybe just parts of Guts entourage.
Though Griffith fails to be a villain through and through, some of his deeds are rather beneficial to many people. Sure he is not a "true hero" or anything like this. But I would rather call him grey, than pitch-black.

Futomimi

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Just rewatching the old anime and thought Id weigh in. I forget if all of this is canon in the manga, but based on the last few chapters it seems Miura must have had it on his mind.

I really liked Griffith in the Golden Age, and Gatsu can be very frustrating but more complex than we give him credit. Where to start.. none of the hawks, or even the other soldiers and mercenaries in the story had an easy ride, but its strongly suggested no one had it worse than Gatsu. I think after the Chudar campaign is over he says these last 3 years have been like a party. It was hard to watch Gatsu be so clueless about how much Casca or Griffith cared about him, but understandable because he had never experienced that. So I feel like with Gatsu youre watching someone find themselves on the battlefield. He’s always looking for something deeper in all of this and he’s questioning his role. I love how much he cares for his comrades even if he doesn’t expect to be a part of their life. But ultimately he’s flying higher and farther away than Griffith. Casca becomes his answer and I think that was beautiful and makes everything all the more tragic because she was in front of him the whole time. What keeps me reading is the hope that they can find each other again.

I think Griffith is heroic and I hate what that world did to him. Casca talks about how Griffith gathered the hawks in the villages and took them from a life of enduring and surviving to fighting and winning. His vision was always to make a better world not just sit in a castle like a king, which is half implied in the eclipse. You can see that in falconia where the neo band of the hawk is still out slaying monsters and protecting the kingdom, rescuing the people from the horrors of war/monsters. It’s like he’s stuck in a perpetual dream that couldn’t be, still stuck in that cell and mask - and Gatsu and Casca are trapped in Griffith’s dream in a way too because they couldn’t leave him behind when it was over. I just felt for him after Gatsu left because that was the only person he considered his friend and equal, who was strong like he had to be. It’s foreshadowed after Gatsu kills Jurius when Griffith says “one’s dream is to explore the world another’s is to rule that same world. A friend wouldn’t help my dream but live out his own dream and destroy me if I was in his way.” I don’t know why, I’d seen that so many times and I didn’t realize he was talking about Gatsu. When Griffith sees Charlotte and she talks about how hard it has been worrying about him, I think he sees how alone he will be in that castle and justs cracks. Who else could understand him but Gatsu?

Of course the whole band of the hawk is great, I especially like Corcus and Pippin. I haven’t been as much of a fan of the new characters but I like Serpico, I’m okay with the comic relief.

Ultimately, Gatsu has to defeat Griffith, but it won’t be for revenge. It will be to set Griffith free and so Casca and him can finally have peace.

Most of the hawks had already been killed before the time of the eclipse, and their dream was crushed not by Griffith but by the royalty - or fate. With all the fantasy at this point I see Gatsu and Griffith as two kinds of avenging spirits, two types of dreams, to win or to live, and It’s got be Gatsu who prevails. Only way to do the hawks justice.

I had the thought that the eclipse was in a way revenge against the hawks from all the people they killed in battle, but it’s probably just a metaphor for how this world treats it’s warriors when they’re “no longer useful”. I think Griffith rules the apostles because he was the only one with a true dream, not just for power but to stand above even the most wicked men.

Ahh maybe I’m just excited about chapter 360.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

[QUOTE="Franckie, post: 4642950, member: 45522"
It is depicted in the manga like this, that fate/gods/godhand intended for Griffith to become one of them.
Though he was not innocent and it was his free decision.
But the circumstances under which the decision arised, are an important factor, since I doubt Griffith would have made the same decision given different circumstances.
Why? Because he had to sacrifice the people he loved. The Band of the Hawk, especially Guts and Casca.
Going back to the Blackswordsmith arc, when Griffith made his first entry, we learn, that a sacrifice is just possible, if you sacrifice somebody you love. It is even explained, that it has to be the most important person/people.
I just noticed how strange it is that Gatsu and Casca survived this long. It makes me think Griffith never fully committed himself in the eclipse - the two most important people he couldn’t let go. His jealousy runs pretty deep but with all the literal hand of God chance occurences in this story that can’t be coincidence. Makes me think Griffith - or is it Femto? - will have some redemption, like he needs Gatsu and Casca to put him out of his misery/fulfill his dream of crushing the tyrants/apostles.

smokeesid

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
India
I am amazed that there is no poll here. I would say Griffith

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
I think Griffith is heroic and I hate what that world did to him.
Griffith did and has done heroic deeds, but I don't know if I'd label him heroic. Griffith's ambition was to have his own kingdom and he sacrificed his loved ones in order to make that happen. Most of what happened to Griffith was his own doing, by thinking he "owned" his friends, succumbing to his own lust, and mocking his captor. But again, according to prophecy all of this was supposed to happen anyways and Griffith is where he is right now because of it.

I just noticed how strange it is that Gatsu and Casca survived this long. It makes me think Griffith never fully committed himself in the eclipse - the two most important people he couldn’t let go.
He did fully commit though, as they were both marked. The only reason they survived is because of the Skull Knight. He had no reason to pursue them after that because he got what he wanted.

SamuelDean

Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
Griffith did and has done heroic deeds, but I don't know if I'd label him heroic. Griffith's ambition was to have his own kingdom and he sacrificed his loved ones in order to make that happen. Most of what happened to Griffith was his own doing, by thinking he "owned" his friends, succumbing to his own lust, and mocking his captor. But again, according to prophecy all of this was supposed to happen anyways and Griffith is where he is right now because of it.

He did fully commit though, as they were both marked. The only reason they survived is because of the Skull Knight. He had no reason to pursue them after that because he got what he wanted.
Actually I do consider none heroic in the original sense, not even the protagonist "Guts". He has done horrible things...it is all a pool of grey in that manga.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Actually I do consider none heroic in the original sense, not even the protagonist "Guts". He has done horrible things...it is all a pool of grey in that manga.
When considering someone a hero or not you should consider their motivations for what they do as well. Griffith has established Falconia but we don't really know his true purpose for it. Is it simply to be some sort of God King and be benevolent? None of it feels "real" to me. And just look at what he had to do to get there, sacrificing the people that loved him.

Guts on the other hand has spent his life since the Eclipse trying to fight back against the darkness and protect those affected by Griffith's choice. It's fair to call him an anti-hero instead, but he's downright heroic to me compared to Griffith.

And I'm not really sure what you mean about Guts doing "horrible" things. He's certainly capable of horrific violence, but who is his sword pointed at? Not the innocent.

SamuelDean

Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
When considering someone a hero or not you should consider their motivations for what they do as well. Griffith has established Falconia but we don't really know his true purpose for it. Is it simply to be some sort of God King and be benevolent? None of it feels "real" to me. And just look at what he had to do to get there, sacrificing the people that loved him.

Guts on the other hand has spent his life since the Eclipse trying to fight back against the darkness and protect those affected by Griffith's choice. It's fair to call him an anti-hero instead, but he's downright heroic to me compared to Griffith.

And I'm not really sure what you mean about Guts doing "horrible" things. He's certainly capable of horrific violence, but who is his sword pointed at? Not the innocent.
Guts has no real drive to protect greater parts of population and is driven by revenge...I don´t think consider nearly raping a woman is a heroic feature and yes horrible deeds absolutely count if you consider somebody a hero or not. Oh and by your definition the original Griffith has to be a hero since he actually wished to establish a country where not only birth mattered.

Hermit123

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
India
I've seen people make a convincing case that Griffith was manipulated into becoming Femto since the IoE and the Godhand were manipulating him prior to his conception. But what happened afterwards, like Femto raping Casca in front of Guts, is to highlight that Neo-Griffith is not a good man... err, demon. This is reinforced with Griffith's ruthless demeanor after his reincarnation. Old-Griffith is a saint compared to his current self, like how Neo-Griffith mercilessly cuts down retreating soldiers (his old self didn't do this). This is highlighted by Rickert pointing out the Crest of the Band of the Hawk under Neo-Griffith is different compared to Old-Griffith. Neo-Griffith is still a villain through and through. The major problem with his character is his lack of antagonism during Guts' party. Antagonists who fail to antagonize (or harm) the main cast lack plot importance and are boring. Hopefully Elfheim will correct this dynamic.
Because neo Griffith didn't care for that shit. He didn't come to antagonized someone. He came here to achieve his ambition. He is someone who is unknown and can't be achieved like you guessed it a god or a perfect being. That's why he is showed like that. I think you didn't even understand a point about him after golden age.

Just rewatching the old anime and thought Id weigh in. I forget if all of this is canon in the manga, but based on the last few chapters it seems Miura must have had it on his mind.

I really liked Griffith in the Golden Age, and Gatsu can be very frustrating but more complex than we give him credit. Where to start.. none of the hawks, or even the other soldiers and mercenaries in the story had an easy ride, but its strongly suggested no one had it worse than Gatsu. I think after the Chudar campaign is over he says these last 3 years have been like a party. It was hard to watch Gatsu be so clueless about how much Casca or Griffith cared about him, but understandable because he had never experienced that. So I feel like with Gatsu youre watching someone find themselves on the battlefield. He’s always looking for something deeper in all of this and he’s questioning his role. I love how much he cares for his comrades even if he doesn’t expect to be a part of their life. But ultimately he’s flying higher and farther away than Griffith. Casca becomes his answer and I think that was beautiful and makes everything all the more tragic because she was in front of him the whole time. What keeps me reading is the hope that they can find each other again.

I think Griffith is heroic and I hate what that world did to him. Casca talks about how Griffith gathered the hawks in the villages and took them from a life of enduring and surviving to fighting and winning. His vision was always to make a better world not just sit in a castle like a king, which is half implied in the eclipse. You can see that in falconia where the neo band of the hawk is still out slaying monsters and protecting the kingdom, rescuing the people from the horrors of war/monsters. It’s like he’s stuck in a perpetual dream that couldn’t be, still stuck in that cell and mask - and Gatsu and Casca are trapped in Griffith’s dream in a way too because they couldn’t leave him behind when it was over. I just felt for him after Gatsu left because that was the only person he considered his friend and equal, who was strong like he had to be. It’s foreshadowed after Gatsu kills Jurius when Griffith says “one’s dream is to explore the world another’s is to rule that same world. A friend wouldn’t help my dream but live out his own dream and destroy me if I was in his way.” I don’t know why, I’d seen that so many times and I didn’t realize he was talking about Gatsu. When Griffith sees Charlotte and she talks about how hard it has been worrying about him, I think he sees how alone he will be in that castle and justs cracks. Who else could understand him but Gatsu?

Of course the whole band of the hawk is great, I especially like Corcus and Pippin. I haven’t been as much of a fan of the new characters but I like Serpico, I’m okay with the comic relief.

Ultimately, Gatsu has to defeat Griffith, but it won’t be for revenge. It will be to set Griffith free and so Casca and him can finally have peace.

Most of the hawks had already been killed before the time of the eclipse, and their dream was crushed not by Griffith but by the royalty - or fate. With all the fantasy at this point I see Gatsu and Griffith as two kinds of avenging spirits, two types of dreams, to win or to live, and It’s got be Gatsu who prevails. Only way to do the hawks justice.

I had the thought that the eclipse was in a way revenge against the hawks from all the people they killed in battle, but it’s probably just a metaphor for how this world treats it’s warriors when they’re “no longer useful”. I think Griffith rules the apostles because he was the only one with a true dream, not just for power but to stand above even the most wicked men.

Ahh maybe I’m just excited about chapter 360.

I just noticed how strange it is that Gatsu and Casca survived this long. It makes me think Griffith never fully committed himself in the eclipse - the two most important people he couldn’t let go. His jealousy runs pretty deep but with all the literal hand of God chance occurences in this story that can’t be coincidence. Makes me think Griffith - or is it Femto? - will have some redemption, like he needs Gatsu and Casca to put him out of his misery/fulfill his dream of crushing the tyrants/apostles.
So you like band of hawk even though story didn't focuses on them. And their symbolism is very subtle. But you dislike new group which has far more growth and character development in most of its character like shierke, serpico and farnesse and even Isidro. Yeah Isidro didn't develop that much. But he is very ambitious boy who try his best to become something in this harsh world. We see one of the theme of Berserk in between guts and Isidro which is fatherhood. How his life and his perception of viewing is developed because of the mature understanding of world by guts. How we see that he understands the existentialism of world by his relationship with old man in Enoch person but he didn't spoil his ambition with something vague like that which didn't serve any purpose in his life. He literally show the true childish beauty of running for what you desired. Well I take huge time to discuss him because he is often misunderstood. So those character are much more developed. And then you people said something vague like ‘this show is bad because of lack of character development and growth of them’. Even though you yourself forget growth is not something suddenly happened and didn't even need to happen. A person can be affected by many opinions and still believe what he believed. Just like you all didn't change yourself suddenly and possibly never.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

It's because he lacks depth. His character is very simplistic and straight forward. He doesn't shoulder any plot-changing or meaningful metaphors within the plot itself. That would be Griffith. You take Griffith out of the plot and there is no plot. That is how weak a character Guts is as the entire slew of causalities are created, crafted and set to revolve around Griffith and Griffith only. It's also interesting that Griffith now influences the causalities within the manga as well as this is what GodHands do. An almost fourth wall kind of affair.

Another factor that is really offputting is the consistent rise in Deus Ex Machina for this character. It has left Naruto as a character in the dust in this regard. I am not even trying to be funny here. The very first is the Behelit itself. Guts doesn't seem to have lost it (no matter how comical the situation) and the author has offered no reasoning as to why a key that is already used once can be used again in any manner. It makes little sense given the powers it provides. Skull-King seems to have a trove of it and it makes the whole thing even more laughable. Femto doesn't seem to be too concerned with SK's comical collection so far as well (the point till where I have read anyway; albeit, I am aware of Falconia's plotline and that makes it even more absurd).

Then we have the troll arc. The armor just appeared out of nowhere in just the nick of time to aid Guts. But wait, it was wielded by SK as well. It allows him to harness an awesome power and fight an apostle whose physical strength was far more enhanced than ordinary ones. The reasoning for the armor is so flimsy that I cannot stress it enough as to how much the writing faltered there; it was badly crafted comedy on pages. The armor even fixes his bones during the fight. His strength got so magically enhanced that the apostle was forced to assume his true form and still he was struggling. He, apparently, has an inner demon as well. And the icing on the cake is that he has to lie outside the tale (when he already does lie in the shallow stratum) to beat Griffith. I do not think this can get any worse than this. Slan has magically shown an interest in him as well. Why? Because she wants him to plunge his "big, thick sword into her." Or so we are told, because it's so "es-pha-shal!"

Schierke is this ... bottomless bag of solutions. She has the answer to everything. She also has this puberty lust thing going on for Guts and it's just plain disturbing. Honestly, everything about this one-dimensional character is off-putting. Whenever a problem appears, she defeats it nearly always. She's his go-to armor; an impenetrable one. Griffith just doesn't magically decide to go to her mistress himself to kill her when he can control Time and Space. He just leaves everything to his weaker subordinates, when they were hardly the strongest apostles at that time. No valid reasons are given for this stupidity, when the man is a god.

Their child he chose to merge with just maintained his consciousness. Why? No reason, but just another causality defying nonsensical Deux Ex Machina for Guts to exploit later on, as a god was not able to extinguish a consciousness of a mere child that only got corrupted with a bit of his sperm ... or err something. I am sure I will find others if I think hard enough, but this is terrible enough. It exhibits how flimsy and utterly horrendous a character Guts is.

Every single encounter feels the same; he takes his giant sword out and starts swinging and blood is splattered everywhere. Full stop. You have an idiotic, caricatural motley bunch that stand in a state of stupor (mostly) as he does so and offer "ooohhs and ahhhhs" every single time. And Schierke chants mumbo-jumbo and they are saved, because she is just this impossible juggernaut of magic. There is no stopping the Schierke train. It's like a constant loop of the same kind of nonsensical garbage over and over and over again ... and I have grown weary of it. Guts' inner demon struggles feel like something straight out of the poorly written lyrics of a Tumblr girl with much less talent. It's a comedic affair ... as it is outwardly personified in the worst kind of ways; I mean, a hell hound? Really?

The facial expressions, poses and grunts that accompany it make it seem like he's endeavouring his very best to pass a long overdue stool hibernating in his posterior for a month; it feels like a mundane routine affair. And it's almost the same damn face! The same damned struggles and the same damned tedious show of Bruce-McGruff hyper-masculine rubbish. People actually like this? I am baffled!

The bunch that aids him aren't any less ridiculous. Good Lord, was Miura ever serious with Farneze? She's the pinnacle of human stupidity and bad penning in every single manner, and she will also become a magic user; another powerful addition in Guts' OP belt ...

Griffith, on the other hand, can be summed up in this manner (I will just copy-paste my post from another thread):

Honestly, there is just no contest. Guts is everything that is terrible with cooke-cutter representation of characters across various medias and genres and manga in general. There is just barely enough material to even make him bearable ...
That is one the stupidest argument I ever seen about a great show. You don't try to understand a thing about this show. You call Griffith great and guts bad even though both experiences same situation in different and the one who truly succeeded in satisfactory way and find his own happiness is guts not Griffith. Your criticism of inner beast is very lackluster. A inner demon is present in every human being and fantasy truly manifest it to show that. It is not problem. The problem is how it is shown. But in the case of guts and Griffith also. It is shown very realistically. Griffith only run from his true desire. He try to run from his desire of true friend as guts even though at that guts had not any ambition but he truly understand him and care about him. He want to run from his despair and his vulnerability. He want to become a perfect being who have not these weaknesses in his person i.e hawk of the light. He try to supress his true emotions but in the end his inner desire exploded and he sleep with princess. He is attracted towards guts because of his own destructive and vulnerable nature. And that's why his hate toward his desire increases. And in the end, he sacrifices those valuable being which is the reason of his inner desire which he hated now. And he then become his ideal self by completely become a perfect being i.e femto. Now about guts, Guts is far more understandable and never ignore what his inner self say to him. Griffith is wrong because he is consumed by his ambition. He only driven by his ambition like he think his ambition defines what he is. But in reality human are complex, they are not become for some predestined destiny or objective. They are complicated being who are technically have not purpose but they create their own purpose. And then throw it in trash after they convinced themselves or understand that they are not want to be like that. Similarily, Guts didn't cling with an ideal. He evaluate his desire and dream and try to understand what his ambition is and did he even needed it? He is true to his emotions. He didn't ignore or suppress what he feels but he learn some lessons from and try to implement it in his behaviour. Yes he love sword but he also care those he truly loves from his heart. He loves to destroy things he didn't consider right to give the opportunity to create it in better way. He loves to destroy but he also love to care other. His inner beast is just his one desire which try to consume him but do you know what he opposes it but didn't try to suppress it at all. In reality it is not difficult for human to suppress his emotions just like Griffith but he is not fool. He know it will consume it in much greater way if he try to suppress it. This inner beast is very different to any other fantasy I ever see. This inner beast is not some external being who resides inside of him or a true beast inside him. It is none other than gut's own desire, his inner desire. And if he want to truly understand he has to understand it and integrate it in his own behaviour. And he actually think it as a different beast. That's why he still didn't understand it completely. It is shown as a unknown being who resides in him but in reality it is his own depression that make him believe him like that. That inner desire is his destructive nature to only destroy. The reason why this beast exist because guts hate himself. Guts now hate his inner desire to destroy after his more calmer approach in his situation. But he had to understand that is this desire truly his own. And the thing is he think exactly think like that in deep inside of him. But guts didn't force himself in one way but he try to evaluate every situation. He try to see every approach that what he truly is. Yes that is the reason why guts never accomplish anything in his life. But he is always satisfies with his situation but still try to find his values in life by taking risks like berserker Armor. It is not difficult to him to not use it but he want to explore himself and protect his loved ones. That's why he chose it. If he didn't choose it. That inner beast never able to control it but yeah it will someday consume it and do something what destroy him completely. That's true for everyone. Oyasumi punpun is the great example of it. How in the end punpun really become that alien looking figure which cannot be described. Because he is impulsive and completely driven by his inner emotions. He is weak and completely lost his whole faith in life by depending only on his inner demon and judgement of others. He also become his own inner demon. Guts is the true opposite of him. Even though he hate himself in that he never loses his will of living and protect his values. He is true inspirational and on the other hand, Griffith is what you shouldn't be even though perfect it is.

Franckie

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Because neo Griffith didn't care for that shit. He didn't come to antagonized someone. He came here to achieve his ambition. He is someone who is unknown and can't be achieved like you guessed it a god or a perfect being. That's why he is showed like that. I think you didn't even understand a point about him after golden age.
I doubt you understand basic storytelling. It would have been one thing if Grrifith was the protagonist of the story, but he's not. Griffith's purpose in the story is to cause harm, or antagonize, Guts, which he lost interest in doing so since the Eclipse. It means he doesn't cause any conflict on his own with Guts and it makes for a very boring story.

Riker

Artist
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
India
I think Guts is better written. Griffith fells like a wooden plank to me.

Griffithpt

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
I'd say that they're equally well-written during the Golden Age arc, but after the Eclipse, Guts received a lot more development whereas Femto has remained more or less the same character.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
I'd say that they're equally well-written during the Golden Age arc, but after the Eclipse, Guts received a lot more development whereas Femto has remained more or less the same character.
Well I mean, Femto has, yeah. But the Griffith we have now isn't just Femto, it's him inhabiting the body of Guts' and Casca's child. And if you look at the story through that lens, he's had much more development than initially thought. We saw that in this last chapter. But I guess it might also be the last of it...

But yeah, that aside, obviously there's been a lot more content with Guts

Griffithpt

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Well I mean, Femto has, yeah. But the Griffith we have now isn't just Femto, it's him inhabiting the body of Guts' and Casca's child. And if you look at the story through that lens, he's had much more development than initially thought. We saw that in this last chapter. But I guess it might also be the last of it...

But yeah, that aside, obviously there's been a lot more content with Guts
If things are as you have interpreted them to be then I completely agree. I have never considered Femto to be Griffith and I explain why on the other thread about him, but it's hard for us to know for sure, how being the moon child has affected this Griffith, and what this form of Griffith actually is.

On one hand I'm sad we'll never know, but on the other hand, I think that perhaps by ending this way we can have a bit more hope for what the future of these characters would have been other than a journey to revenge.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
If things are as you have interpreted them to be then I completely agree. I have never considered Femto to be Griffith and I explain why on the other thread about him, but it's hard for us to know for sure, how being the moon child has affected this Griffith, and what this form of Griffith actually is.

On one hand I'm sad we'll never know, but on the other hand, I think that perhaps by ending this way we can have a bit more hope for what the future of these characters would have been other than a journey to revenge.
I think the differences you see might be because at his core, the Griffith we know now is the child of Guts and Casca. Before it was confirmed that the Moonlight Child was Griffith, it wasn't really clear what kind of effect him inhabiting this body had on him, but obviously it's confirmed now that the two aren't really separated much at all. I would still say he's not exactly the Griffith before the Eclipse though, even if Danan wants to say he's a pure being.

Griffithpt

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
I think the differences you see might be because at his core, the Griffith we know now is the child of Guts and Casca. Before it was confirmed that the Moonlight Child was Griffith, it wasn't really clear what kind of effect him inhabiting this body had on him, but obviously it's confirmed now that the two aren't really separated much at all. I would still say he's not exactly the Griffith before the Eclipse though, even if Danan wants to say he's a pure being.
If I were to take a guess, Femto took all of Griffith's ambition and malice and the Moonlight Child kept everything else, it's the last of Griffith's humanity and feelings.