Question - Who is the mc of FT? Natsu or Lucy? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Question Who is the mc of FT? Natsu or Lucy?

Natsu or Lucy?

• Total voters

randimari

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
guys I've been wondering this for quite some time... with FT ending soon I was rereading old volumes looking excerpt from Hiro on this topic but couldn't find one. Who is the actual main character of FT? To you guys at least?

Lord Ainz

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
Both of them according to Mashima's interview in 2016

Doughboy

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
It's Lucy. I can't remember which interview Hiro said it in but someone asked what made you want to have female main character this time around. He might of said that in a volume though. I've always looked at it like Natsu is the cover character of FT but the story is told in the eyes of Lucy, why we have so many monologues regarding her talking in her head.

Jean Grey

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
It's Lucy. I can't remember which interview Hiro said it in but someone asked what made you want to have female main character this time around. He might of said that in a volume though. I've always looked at it like Natsu is the cover character of FT but the story is told in the eyes of Lucy, why we have so many monologues regarding her talking in her head.
nope.

he outright stated in one of the volumes that Natsu is THE MC.

and its obvious considering what he is doing lately.

Star Frost

Reaction score
Country
United States
He recently said it's both of them in his Interview back in France last year

PeanutButterJelly

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
Natsu is the leading male and Lucy is the leading female protagonist

Reebi

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Lucy, all the plot revolves around her and on the official websites she's in the summary.

Axiomus

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Both Natsu and Lucy are the main character, but if you absolutely had to pick one it would probably be Natsu. This is because the original concept for Fairy Tail started with Natsu working various jobs in a courier guild. So the original concept had Natsu as the main character. Later on, when Hiro was explaining how he named the characters, he again referred to Natsu as the main character. The first image is from volume 1. The second image was from either volume 2 or 3 (I cannot remember, and it's not my picture).

But again, it's perfectly fine if you consider both of them the main characters. They compliment each other after all.

xXCHILLEYXx

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Pretty much the way it has been is -

Main male hero - Natsu
narrator - Lucy
Main female hero - Erza

Lucy is really the one who is telling the story while Natsu and Erza is the ones doing the hero act.

Crescent Jinx

Reaction score
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
He said recently in an interview that both Natsu and Lucy are the protagonist and that he looks at the two equally

Clearly a lie.....But...

Previously, Mashima had said that's Natsu was the protagonist/hero just like Haru was for Rave (versions of this were said a few times) and the original concept was based around Natsu.

Now I believe in the beginning of the fairy tail anime, Lucy's VA had more lines than Natsu's and it seems to follow her more because of narration and internal thoughts. With also things like the first movie and majority of the filler arcs literally being about Lucy.

Going back to Rave, the story could not have been without both Haru and Elle, even tho the story tended to lean toward more Haru-centered. Especially because we started the story with Haru. Plus we saw the story more from his point of view until the Hardner arc.

Now in FT, Lucy tells the story, plus we see inside her head more than Natsu. And like Elle, who was secretly extremely connected to the Rave stones (being Reisha and all), Lucy/her magic/Heartfilia women are connected to eclipse gate/Dragneel men/Igneel/dragons.

Now Erza as a female has more action sequence than Lucy but she is rarely connected to the main plot outside of the ToH arc and Irene shenanigans. In volume 9 Mashima was asked who is the main female.... Lucy or Erza and he said he would let the audience decide.

To me the reason why Mashima isn't clear for the Mc is because of the roles of these characters are blurred based on Mashima writing himself into the story.

Mashima was asked what character he was like or which he identified with..... He said he was more like Lucy but he would love to be Natsu or Erza.

When asked what inspired Natsu, he said his childhood.

So I believe these three characters represent 3 sides of Mashima and are all protagonist in their own right.

Lucy is the struggling writer who wants adventure and has to grow up and has to make money (rent being an early metaphor for Mashima's own bills) and a "noble loser" (like in the flare battle) who is a bit of a good ball klutz. She represents the present. In the beginning she was more light heated and fun which is what Mashima wanted the story to be like. Now she's more serious, emotional, with occasional forced humor.... Just like Mashima.

Natsu is the ADHD hero who wants to play video games and draw pictures for twitter. He is sporadic and cares deeply about his friends but also dreams of fighting Kubo and Oda. He represents Mashima's childhood/childish nature and dreams of wanting to grow up. Also he wants to impress his own father (a rather unattainable goal) who died before seeing Mashima become a successful artist.

Erza represents what Mashima's values... focused and determination. Like how he's always praised to be one of the most dedicated and hardest working mangakans. I think she represents Mashima's future of wanting to come out ahead. She also has the ability to stand up even after defeat even against unrealistic odds because he himself wishes to do this.

So you can look at the story as a balance of three characters that really should be one character.

These three characters also tend to have more favoritism shown to them by Mashima (Lucy having the least) and these characters tend to be called Marin Sues more (Erza and Natsu for battle moments with Lucy for nonbattle moments).

I really feel like I should get a reward for psycho-analyzing Mashima. It's a scary place to be for a female.

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah Jinx you're looking at it too deep :D. I think when Hiro said who was his favorite character he said it depends on his mood. But we're talking MC. Erza ain't the damn MC of FT, where are people getting that? Now I'm about to find that interview where he said it was Lucy cause I'm interested now.

Star Frost

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah Jinx you're looking at it too deep :D. I think when Hiro said who was his favorite character he said it depends on his mood. But we're talking MC. Erza ain't the damn MC of FT, where are people getting that? Now I'm about to find that interview where he said it was Lucy cause I'm interested now.
Probably because she gets more fights than Lucy do is probably why some think she is.:neutral His interview in France clearly stated Lucy and Natsu both are the main characters

Takeover twin

Reaction score
Country
Fairy Tail
But if you guys actually think about it the story of Fairytail is pretty much told by Lucy which makes her the main character
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Lol yeah she's queen of plot armour

xXCHILLEYXx

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Here's the way i've always seen it when it comes to FT's main characters. (I don't believe/care about a word that comes out of Hiro's mouth since most of what he says and writes is BS)

If we are taking about MC's, Both Natsu and Lucy are dual MC's.

Now if we were too talk the main HERO's, that's where Erza comes in.

For the most port when it comes too rules in the story -
(Lucy is the narrator of the story, She is the one who is telling the story. When it comes to fights, she gets little to no fights, so she is more of a side hero.)
(Natsu is the main male hero of the story, He is the one who everyone looks up to and the one who gets the most screen time.)
(Erza is the main Female hero of the story, She like Natsu is someone who the guild looks up too and one who shares the most screen time with natsu when it comes battles. Though she doesn't not tie into the main plot much, Hiro does find a way to make her one of the most important and relevant to the story compared to other side main characters. {like making her connected to the Dragon Slayers thus making her most likely to play a rule in the ACNO fight with Lucy being in the back ground.)

In the long run, Natsu and Lucy are the most important and relevant characters when in comes to the story BUT when it comes to the battles, screen time and the HERO's of the story, that's Natsu and Erza who are the main hero's of the story. -

Importance to the story/MC's - Natsu and Lucy - they are the ones who the story centers around.
Importance to the battles/Screen time - Natsu and Erza - they are the ones who gets the most fight's and the most important ones and get the most screen time. in terms of fight's.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Natsu and Lucy are concurrent Main characters. Hiro Mashima stated it himself.

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Lucy's the MAIN character, but she and Natsu are the main characters. However, the focus would be mainly on Lucy as we've seen, yeah? Or at least, I've seen Lucy get more focus out of fights than Natsu.