Question - Who is the mc of FT? Natsu or Lucy? | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Question Who is the mc of FT? Natsu or Lucy?

Natsu or Lucy?

• Total voters

Axiomus

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Why did Natsu play the largest role in these arcs, though? It's because he's a main character (but secondary) who is very strong and is supposed to beat the bad bosses. I acknowledged all that, but Lucy is still the one narrating the story and getting quite a bit of non-fight focus. How often do we see Natsu out of missions without Lucy? It's usually when he and Happy are walking and discussing something, otherwise we almost always see them with Lucy. We see Lucy a lot, especially in her everyday life. We have even seen her residence and her landlady. I can't recall seeing Natsu's residence, if he even has any, or even where he sleeps. We get more focus on Lucy's life out of fights and missions, whereas Natsu gets more focus in missions and/or fights as he's the other main character who's strong and is supposed to get stronger and all. If Natsu and Lucy weren't friends, Natsu would probably not be as much focused-upon character or main character, except for fights and missions, just because Lucy wouldn't know him much. FT isn't told solely through Lucy's view, unless she has knowledge or omnipotence.

After the timeskip, Lucy not only got the first focus, but she also "talked" to us. Just seems we get more from her point of view, and that she's central to the story much like Watson is as without them, we may not get the respective work as we do. Does that make sense?
Why did Natsu play the largest role in these arcs? I would say because he's the hero of the story and the main character, because that's what Hiro himself says he is. Sherlock Holmes is the main character of Sherlock Holmes. The narrator is Watson and the story is told through his perspective. However, there story itself is about Holmes. Likewise, Lucy is the narrator of Fairy Tail, and we are meant to see the story through her eyes. However, the story itself is about Natsu. Even if we are meant to see the story through Lucy's eyes, Natsu is still the hero of the story - because Natsu is Lucy's hero.

We don't really see Lucy going on any missions without Natsu either. Actually, we don't see many missions because they are not part of the main story. They are usually implied off screen, or shown in the omakes. We do see Natsu's house. He just doesn't use it often because he always crashes at Lucy's. Honestly, we should not be judging who the main character is based on how much we see of their house. The main character should simply be the one that has the largest role in the main plot, which in a shounen action manga is usually taking down the bad guys. Natsu plays the largest role against the main antagonists, which are Zeref and Acnologia. Zeref and Acnologia shape the Fairy Tail world.

Last edited:

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Natsu plays the largest role because he's the fighter, the warrior, the beacon of hope who got Lucy into the guild and is her closest friend. If that was Gray who got Lucy in FT and fought to keep her there as well as "beating" most enemies, then he'd be the main character as Lucy would consider him the closest friend who overcomes odds to protect everyone and keep them safe. Gray would be the secondary main character instead of Natsu. I think whoever would be closest to Lucy would be a main character, and Natsu's closest to Lucy.

How many missions has Lucy gone on without Natsu? And clearly I wasn't using houses as a way to judge who the main character is, but whom we see more of outside of missions and fights, which is more likely to determine that. To my recollection, Lucy's usually gotten more focus on her personal life than Natsu has.

Having the largest role wouldn't make one a main character if he's not featured as much, so that logic isn't really soundproof. Not that you're wrong, especially in this case, but all that says is Natsu is beyond important, not necessarily the primary main character. We're still for the most part getting the story through Lucy's eyes. When the story ends, it'll likely be through Lucy, who was there to witness it all. She also plays a huge role, like when she was captured by a dark guild, and a war was waged to get her back, or when she saved Natsu's ass from death. Or hell, when Future Lucy came from the future. And didn't the time in Edolas mostly focus on Lucy before she reunited with Natsu?

Axiomus

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Natsu plays the largest role because he's the fighter, the warrior, the beacon of hope who got Lucy into the guild and is her closest friend. If that was Gray who got Lucy in FT and fought to keep her there as well as "beating" most enemies, then he'd be the main character as Lucy would consider him the closest friend who overcomes odds to protect everyone and keep them safe. Gray would be the secondary main character instead of Natsu. I think whoever would be closest to Lucy would be a main character, and Natsu's closest to Lucy.

How many missions has Lucy gone on without Natsu? And clearly I wasn't using houses as a way to judge who the main character is, but whom we see more of outside of missions and fights, which is more likely to determine that. To my recollection, Lucy's usually gotten more focus on her personal life than Natsu has.

Having the largest role wouldn't make one a main character if he's not featured as much, so that logic isn't really soundproof. Not that you're wrong, especially in this case, but all that says is Natsu is beyond important, not necessarily the primary main character. We're still for the most part getting the story through Lucy's eyes. When the story ends, it'll likely be through Lucy, who was there to witness it all. She also plays a huge role, like when she was captured by a dark guild, and a war was waged to get her back, or when she saved Natsu's ass from death. Or hell, when Future Lucy came from the future. And didn't the time in Edolas mostly focus on Lucy before she reunited with Natsu?
But the concept of Natsu came first. Natsu was likely the very first character Mashima came up with for Fairy Tail, because that was what his original story was going to be about. It simply wouldn't be the same story without Natsu.

Logically, Natsu probably went on more solo missions than Lucy did. He was around the guild longer, and there was a period around the Tenrou exam where he did a bunch of missions to get nominated. However, again, these side missions are not important to the main story. We don't see Natsu and Lucy going on many missions without each other simply because they are close. Again, I don't think these missions are important for determining who is the MC. The MC should be the character in which the plot is focused around. The Phantom Lord arc was Lucy's arc, just like how Galuna Island was Gray's arc and Tower of Heaven was Erza's arc. Natsu played a large role in all of these arcs, which is why I consider him the main character (other than the fact that Hiro basically tells us this in the first and second volumes). Edolas mainly focused on the dragon chain cannon, which focused on the 3 dragon slayers vs Dorma Anim towards the end.

Last edited:

Jean Grey

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Croatia
I'm gonna die if I say this but Natsu is unfortunately like Goku and other similar Goku like MC.

so yeah, he is the main of the main.

plus, he is one shotting everyone lately so....

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
I've heard the claim that "Lucy was the first character introduced in Fairy Tail" thrown around a lot...Which is not true. The first character introduced in the series was actually Ultear. Then Jellal (and we also got to see the council members). Then Natsu (and Happy) was introduced when the actual "story" began. The note on the side also implies that he's the hero of the story, so...
Oh yea I don't mean it as the panels, but the story was introduced through Lucy wanting to find Fairy Tail. We meet the characters of FT like she does... is how I felt when I picked up this series.

Maybe the anime starts out differently? I can't recall it, the anime. It does say on the side in that last page you put up, "is Natsu the hero of this story?", if that means anything.

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Aximous is right with the main plot revolving around Natsu but it was always set up like that from the jump, Natsu finding Igneel was a huge plotline for the series. Natsu is no question the cover character but the flow of the story suited Lucy as the lead with her wanting to join FT and become a wizard with her adventures being cataloged in her story she's writing. Lucy is also the narrator for the transitions in the story arcs. It's more fair to say both are mains if not Lucy

Gabo

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Both are the main character of the series.

You should already understand that Mashima always tends to put two main characters in all their Mangas and is always Man-Woman.

I do not see why they still do not get it.

I think Mashima himself said that both were the mainstays for the Fairy Tail Manga

DRE_DAY

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
Well it's both, You can say Natsu is the main Protagonist in Lucy's story, since the story is FT and their adventure is being told by Lucy.

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
But the concept of Natsu came first. Natsu was likely the very first character Mashima came up with for Fairy Tail, because that was what his original story was going to be about. It simply wouldn't be the same story without Natsu.

Logically, Natsu probably went on more solo missions than Lucy did. He was around the guild longer, and there was a period around the Tenrou exam where he did a bunch of missions to get nominated. However, again, these side missions are not important to the main story. We don't see Natsu and Lucy going on many missions without each other simply because they are close. Again, I don't think these missions are important for determining who is the MC. The MC should be the character in which the plot is focused around. The Phantom Lord arc was Lucy's arc, just like how Galuna Island was Gray's arc and Tower of Heaven was Erza's arc. Natsu played a large role in all of these arcs, which is why I consider him the main character (other than the fact that Hiro basically tells us this in the first and second volumes). Edolas mainly focused on the dragon chain cannon, which focused on the 3 dragon slayers vs Dorma Anim towards the end.
I don't think it really matters who was created first, but how they're treated in the story. Lucy seems more like the main character of the series, while Natsu is the main character after her. He's central to the plot, but we don't get as much from his point of view as we do Lucy's.

Logically isn't the same as manga showing us, though. And while it makes sense Natsu's gone on more missions, what about after Lucy joining? We still got more focus on Lucy than Natsu.

Again, missions and personal life focus kinda hint at who the main character is just by showing who gets more background and/or screentime. While Natsu gets the boss fights and all, that's because he's a fighter and a secondary main character closely associated with the primary main character. Hard to depict how or why Natsu became what he became for Lucy or why she believes in him so much without showing the things he's done, like willingly dying with Erza when she chose to sacrifice herself or helping Gray and convincing him not to sacrifice himself.

Axiomus

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I don't think it really matters who was created first, but how they're treated in the story. Lucy seems more like the main character of the series, while Natsu is the main character after her. He's central to the plot, but we don't get as much from his point of view as we do Lucy's.

Logically isn't the same as manga showing us, though. And while it makes sense Natsu's gone on more missions, what about after Lucy joining? We still got more focus on Lucy than Natsu.

Again, missions and personal life focus kinda hint at who the main character is just by showing who gets more background and/or screentime. While Natsu gets the boss fights and all, that's because he's a fighter and a secondary main character closely associated with the primary main character. Hard to depict how or why Natsu became what he became for Lucy or why she believes in him so much without showing the things he's done, like willingly dying with Erza when she chose to sacrifice herself or helping Gray and convincing him not to sacrifice himself.
Original intent matters because it tells us what the author is shaping his story around. The main character should be the one character the story revolves around, not necessarily the character in which we see the world through. Sherlock Holmes is a story told from the first-person perspective of Watson, but it's a story about Sherlock. Likewise, Natsu is central to the plot and worldbuilding of Fairy Tail. You might see the story through the eyes of Lucy, but it's largely a story about Natsu. Most of the plot is built around his back story, and he plays the largest roles in facing the main antagonists. I mean, Hiro flat out tells us that Natsu is the main character in his notes. "The main character is named Natsu. This is the truth" is quite literally a quote from Hiro in his notes about naming characters.

Last edited:

Takeover twin

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Fairy Tail
I'd say it's Lucy because I remember the beginning of fairytaill she was telling us when she joined the guild which I think was Like in July or something

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
I will say It's both Natsu and Lucy.The author himself told us that.He is the final judge of this.This series is his after all.

And can anyone please add "Both" option in the poll?I want to vote it.

Darklord#10

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Am I wrong for thinking it's natsu. I read and watch fairy tail only once and it always struck me that he's the MC and natsu seems built up like a typical Shounen protagonist. Igneel's adopted son, zeref's brother, ignia's step bro, he's a dragon slayer who uses lost magic, he's the hero of the story.
He just feels more main character to me but that's my opinion

Last edited:

Anime VORTEX

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Am I wrong for thinking it's natsu. I read and watch fairy tail only once and it always struck me that he's the MC and natsu seems built up like a typical Shounen protagonist. Igneel's adopted son, zeref's brother, ignia's step bro, he's a dragon slayer who uses lost magic, he's the hero of the story.
[/QUOTE]

Every single one of HIro main character is based in Japanese season example: Haru (spring), Natsu (summer), Aki (autumn) and Shiki (four season)
Natsu is the MC of fairy tail with Lucy as the heroin

Darklord#10

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Every single one of HIro main character is based in Japanese season example: Haru (spring), Natsu (summer), Aki (autumn) and Shiki (four season)
Natsu is the MC of fairy tail with Lucy as the heroin

[/QUOTE]

Maybe people think Lucy is the MC cause she has character development and mashima develops her powers but it's different with natsu. He has very little character development and mashima doesn't really know what to do with him power wise. But I watched fairy tail before reading the manga and I never felt Lucy is the main character it always looks like it's natsu then I read the manga and I still felt the same. He's built up like a Shounen MC

sree

Reaction score
Country
India
Doesn't matter who is the MC if the story is good. Personally I prefer Natsu as MC and Lucy as the narrator.

Shoutmon

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Antarctica
Yeah on top of the story revolving way more around him, Mashima has stated multiple times (through interview/writing) that it was Natsu. The closest he's ever come to declaring Lucy as the MC of FT was when he said that she's "almost the MC", and when Ueda then followed that up by saying that he saw her as the MC, Mashima just stated that the story was about "a bomb named Natsu and the guild that he belongs to" or something like that

I remember him saying in some older interview that he had Lucy take over some things that would normally be done by the main character (like narration and internal monologs), because he didn't think that Natsu doing those would fit his character or something

Anime VORTEX

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Yeah on top of the story revolving way more around him, Mashima has stated multiple times (through interview/writing) that it was Natsu. The closest he's ever come to declaring Lucy as the MC of FT was when he said that she's "almost the MC", and when Ueda then followed that up by saying that he saw her as the MC, Mashima just stated that the story was about "a bomb named Natsu and the guild that he belongs to" or something like that

I remember him saying in some older interview that he had Lucy take over some things that would normally be done by the main character (like narration and internal monologs), because he didn't think that Natsu doing those would fit his character or something
Natsu almost never had an inner monologue in the entire series which is intentional by Hiro

Darklord#10

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Natsu almost never had an inner monologue in the entire series which is intentional by Hiro

Lmao I don't still understand how people think Lucy is the main character. I like Lucy but she's not the main character, hell the current volume cover is natsu vs vierness and others. Lucy fans are so pathetic especially when they bring and talk about how she's the narrator or POV character, like please STFU. Katara from the last airbender is the narrator that don't make her the MC, like the show is literally from her POV and how she believes in aang blah blah blah. Armin is the pov character in AOT and the narrator that doesn't make him the MC. Many more examples but apparently Lucy is special cuz she writes 🤣