Discussion - Would legalizing regulated brothels be good or bad? | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Would legalizing regulated brothels be good or bad?

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
I was thinking of shaming them publicly when I said that, but that's basically what I have a problem with. I don't like Kim Kardashian and don't care much for Amber Rose, but they're unfortunately victims of this. I just can't see the majority changing their views towards prostitution, especially considering it's been in existence for centuries, and I think premarital sex became a thing in the 60s.
Why do you bring them up? I'm pretty sure any criticism levied their way goes beyond the topic of sexuality. I think that's more about exploitation than anything...but it's sort of irrelevant to the topic.

And no, it's commonly referred to as the oldest occupation in existence honestly. And no, premarital sex actually predates marriage......:kappa

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Nah xi0, don't be so silly... Of course no one ever even concieved of having sex before marriage until those raunchy immoral hippies started spreading their dangerous ideas of 'free love' to honest respectable people...

Also, M3J, the whole stigmatism of prostitution is a relatively recent thing - there were centuries of wonderful paid-for love before it suddenly became such a big issue...

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Why do you bring them up? I'm pretty sure any criticism levied their way goes beyond the topic of sexuality. I think that's more about exploitation than anything...but it's sort of irrelevant to the topic.

And no, it's commonly referred to as the oldest occupation in existence honestly. And no, premarital sex actually predates marriage......:kappa
Most of the time, I see the criticisms be about their sexuality, from sex tape or stripping. Kanye's comment towards Amber Rose was pretty nasty too.

I know it does, but was premarital sex not seen as a bad thing prior to the 60s for a long time?
Nah xi0, don't be so silly... Of course no one ever even concieved of having sex before marriage until those raunchy immoral hippies started spreading their dangerous ideas of 'free love' to honest respectable people...

Also, M3J, the whole stigmatism of prostitution is a relatively recent thing - there were centuries of wonderful paid-for love before it suddenly became such a big issue...
That is true, if historical movies aren't lying.

:kappa

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
I know it does, but was premarital sex not seen as a bad thing prior to the 60s for a long time?
It's been seen as bad thing at least before medieval times

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
And after centuries, premarital sex is now being seen as more acceptable than it used to be, although I think it's mainly guys who are praised.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
What does any of this have to do with legalized prostitution....

Reactions: z.5

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
That legalizing prostitution won't help prostitutes' image. But, it might help protect them better as they'd be more likely to report sexual assaults and health issues.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
That legalizing prostitution won't help prostitutes' image. But, it might help protect them better as they'd be more likely to report sexual assaults and health issues.
That's basically what I said, but for some reason you brought up celebrities and twitter or something...

kannazuki

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Actually reporting assault is already something sex workers can do in countries where only the john is breaking the law. They still don't, reportedly because of shabby treatment by police.

shionoro

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
It is always a difficult balance between legalizing prostitution but abolishing abuse.

In germany, prostitution is absolutely legal, but germany is also a destination for illegal human trafficking and sex tourism.
There a flatrate brothels where you can bang as much as you want for a very low prize.
This is naturally a place where no woman wants to work, because there is no saying 'no' and the women working there are often eastern european.

And you can bet that their pimp has enough papers to make it appear legal while still being able to blackmail the women into staying, often even underage women.

I have no problem with a woman saying 'well, i need money, i am fine with having sex with different men and i will deny those i find scary or disgusting' and then being a prostitute.
But there is always a greyzone for organized crime which has nothing to do with willing women, at least not on the long run.

It is the same question as with drugs: Will legalizing help controlling it?

Personally, i would not ban it but i would wish for a tighter control of brothels.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
That's basically what I said, but for some reason you brought up celebrities and twitter or something...
as an example that unless we change the views towards normal women who have sex or multiple sexual partners, we probably won't change much even if we legalize prostitution.
Actually reporting assault is already something sex workers can do in countries where only the john is breaking the law. They still don't, reportedly because of shabby treatment by police.
What about in the US?

But the bad treatment by police also proves my point. The workers won't be as safe unless the authority actually make an effort.
It is always a difficult balance between legalizing prostitution but abolishing abuse.

In germany, prostitution is absolutely legal, but germany is also a destination for illegal human trafficking and sex tourism.
There a flatrate brothels where you can bang as much as you want for a very low prize.
This is naturally a place where no woman wants to work, because there is no saying 'no' and the women working there are often eastern european.

And you can bet that their pimp has enough papers to make it appear legal while still being able to blackmail the women into staying, often even underage women.

I have no problem with a woman saying 'well, i need money, i am fine with having sex with different men and i will deny those i find scary or disgusting' and then being a prostitute.
But there is always a greyzone for organized crime which has nothing to do with willing women, at least not on the long run.

It is the same question as with drugs: Will legalizing help controlling it?

Personally, i would not ban it but i would wish for a tighter control of brothels.
I think legalizing it will help to an extent.

shionoro

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I think legalizing it will help to an extent.
I think that greatly depends on the 'how'.
In japan for example, many young women decide to finance their studies with prostitution on the side or other jobs in sex business (telephone sex, fetisch stuff, being a hostess) , completely without a pimp or anything like that.

That is a rather healthy form of prostitution.

I think every form of prositution is fine in which the women are not forced to be prostitutes (whether financially or by force).
Noone who does not actually want to be a prostitute should have to be one, and to accomplish that is really hard at least in european countries or the US.

The big unquestinoable benefit for the state tho is that they can collect tax money for prostitution once it is legal.

I just read a report about a all you can fuck brothel in berlin. the relations are as follows:

You pay 60 euros for a day, then you can fuck all you want. You have 20 minutes in a room, then you have to leave for other customers, but afte ryou waited again , you can go in again.
You got free drinks and snacks and a sauna.
Stuff like oral without a condom is included.
The report did the mass and coutning how many girls were there and concluded that on average, one of the women there met 6 customers per day.
After investigating how much they get per day, they calculated that every girl gets 15 euros per customer.
All the girls came from eastern europe.

There are even marketing tricks like 'when you go in and roll a 6 on a dice, you get free entry' and stamp cards which give you free rides for every tenth time you go there.

Stuff like that is legal, but everyone who thinks about it honestly will have to agree that these are not working conditions which can be desirable by the women or acceptable by our society.

Reactions: M3J

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Main problem is, there are too many bad, selfish, and/or greedy people that prostitution would be more harmful to the workers in the business. Legalizing prostitution in theory should make things better, but authorities can be bought off, and some pimps can offer cheaper girls after finding and forcing victims to get into the business. In the end though, I see more positives than negatives.