Discussion - would your rather see allen together with lennali or road? | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion would your rather see allen together with lennali or road?

Darjaille

Custom Title
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Slovakia
Like above, Allen x Road FTW.... but I don't think Allen will get involved romantically with anyone.

In that case though, I at least want to see a flashback of Road and Nea being together (or Mana, or... uh, however you understood the last chapter, lol)... And Road's attachment showing whenever she meets Allen, through hugs and whatnot, will please me.

But yeah, no canon romance for Allen, IMO.

CloudStrifeACC

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Turkey
None! Don't like Romanticism and hope that the story ends without one...

kannazuki

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I don't like Allen/Lenalee at all but I can easily say it's more likely than Allen/Road. I like Allen/Road better but that is a fantasy pairing right there. Heck, out of the girls my favourite pairing for Allen is Rohfa. Fat chance of that one happening.

Lavi shows way more feeling toward Lenalee (if you look throughout manga canon and at all the extras all three of the male leads find her "cute" actually) though. In the character book CharaGray, Lenalee's words to Allen it's true he sees her as "important person" which strongly implies he has feelings for her, but her words for him are "don't overdo it" and her words for Lavi are along the lines of "you were very worried about me, thank you." Also, I wish I could give you the source for where I got this from but I saw a thing done by Hoshino which could be from the manga or could have been an extra where Allen was all "I have to protect you because I'm the guy" and Lenalee's all "Yeah but I'm older than you." Things aren't so clear-cut on her side (Lenalee herself was the one who brought up when Lavi teased Allen that Lavi also cried when he was reunited with her after bringing her back to the boat). Also, Allen was being welcomed HOME by her after being away so long and nearly dying and worrying that he might not be able to go on as an Exorcist. A lot was going on for Allen emotionally in that scene (though I do think he's attracted to her at least a little in canon).

As there's so much up in the air, even with what hints there are, I wouldn't take Allen/Lena too too much for granted. Honestly I think that Lavi having (probably unrequited) feelings for her is more likely to play an actual role in the story than Allen having possibly requited feelings. I think Allen isn't likely to end up with anybody because... he's kind of doomed, and his story is more about him and Mana than it is about getting him a girlfriend. Why make it worse by giving his desired romantic partner more to cry over?

Last edited:

Silverwolf442

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't see either as good.

Road's feelings are questionable on whether they're even genuine. Does she like Allen for himself. Or is just just a replacement, or sub for Neah or Mana? He had a relationship with one of the 2. If it's Mana, then she just likes the "Mask of Mana" he wears. And that's not him, and he's even started to show it.

If she was with Neah, then it's Allen being a substitute until Neah awakens.

And with neah being inside of him, he's a Noah like her. Afterall the Noah only care about other Noah. Unless Road is s supporter of this hidden 3rd side.

Allen and Lenalee I used to like. But, Lenalee is just to whiny, and emotionally weak. Len I like better as a friend, or sister. They trust and confide in one another. But, not romantic.

I don't think romance will come up in the manga, and I really wouldn't like Allen with len or Ro.

If I had to pick a girl for Allen, then I like Roufa,

Fou is a big maybe. But Roufa is first.

She seems stable, which Allen could use some of. At least, more stable than Len. Allen likes to eat, and Roufa likes to cook for him, and apparently is a great cook. But putting aside material things, I think if they really had a chance to get to know one another, Allen could really like Roufa.

Maybe Len with Lavi. Heck, seems like whenever Lenalee goes through something, Lavi is the one with her to see & hear it. He was there when Summan died. He was there to hear how Lenalee really feels about the Order, and God. He was their when she lost her powers. Road uses Len to torture Lavi. They just seem like a good match.

But, manga wise, Allen/Lenalee is possible in the sense they both do have feelings for one another. So I can't argue that. I just don't like the pairing.

But, unless Allen can shake Neah, or separate from him, he won't get anyone, and if he does, it'll be short-lived.

Last edited:

KitforKat

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Canada
My interpretation of Road's feelings for Allen has for a long time been platonic. To me, it seems a lot more reminiscent of the sort of familial love she show to Tyki and the Earl. The kissing him and hanging on to him as seen on the ark seems more playful really than anything else. There wasn't any, for lack of a better word, desire hidden underneath it. Then, when under attack from Apocryphos, we get see true emotion and caring from Road towards Allen as well as a fierce protectiveness. Looking at Chapter 218 and seeing some sort of implied relationship between Road and Mana as well as taking into account that Mana might very well be the Millennium Earl, I believe that what first got Road interested in Allen was that he reminded her of Mana (or perhaps the kind of person that the Earl used to be). When they first meet, she treats him as she would any other human, cruelly toying with him. But when she sees evidence of his stalwart idealism and martyr-like devotion to protecting both humans and akuma, it takes her aback somewhat and causes her to see Allen differently. I think that this could be because she saw Mana/the Earl's old self in him and that that was what triggered her weird affection for him.

As for Allen and Lenalee, well...the kind of things they've been through together forms bond not easily broken. Under different circumstances, I think that their relationship definitely has the potential to shift to one of a romantic nature. They're well matched and have moments of chemistry. However, they could just as easily decide that they are better off friends. In any case, it's been stated that, at the current moment, they're both too busy in the war to entertain thoughts of romance. In the endgame...maybe. Maybe not. Something else to consider is that it's pretty heavily implied that Lavi has an unrequited crush on Lenalee. Maybe she could return his feelings someday.

Last edited:

Crown Clown

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
Hmmmm.... If the manga does end up with a romantic ending, I'd be fine with it as long as Allen's satisfied really and that the chemistry between the pair be there, not something forced or made up. In consideration of that desire, I'd really be fine with Roufa, Fou, Road or Lenalee really. If only given the 2 choices I'd probably go with Lenalee only because I personally feel that sometimes the manga seems to highlight a pretty nice chemistry between Lenalee and Allen in small instances (Simple instances like when Allen ran away from the order and officially ceased to be an exorcist of the Black Order). Road DID kiss Allen but her affection for Allen is rather intricate and not something I understand very well yet so I wouldn't be too sure.

Cross even mentioned that Allen becoming the 14th meant he had to kill someone that he loved, so who knows maybe it could be somebody actually loved specifically or perhaps just as a friend, I dunno. If its somebody he loves specifically than the manga may be aspiring to use a little bit of romance into it, but I doubt it'll be significant till the near end of the series. Right now it seems more to center around the melanchony of Allen's life and less on romance but who knows :notsure

shinobi

Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
Allen will remember at some point that he's an old timer, probably older that Cross, who got younger somehow and lost his memories as well, I can't tell if I prefer him with a young girl (Lenalee) or an older woman (Road, though she looks like a child)!!

Well Allen still has Nia, Earl, Mana, Innocence, creepy-innocence guy (forgot his name), Cross to deal with, there wont be a girlfriend for him for a long long time!! he doesn't even want to let guys (Johnny and Kanda) near him !! :D

(apologies riki !! I moved the off-topic post here)

Iownamovingcastle

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
For some reason, I do not feel romantic chemistry really between Allen and any of the girls in the series. At least, not serious I can see them getting married one day type chemistry.
In other series, I can really clearly pick out the end game couples by this point and I feel crazy because I don't see many end game couples in D.Gray-man at all. Honestly, the most chemistry I have seen between two characters that felt...possibly couple-like instead of just close friends is Kanda and Lenalee, but I am starting to think I am crazy because absolutely no one has mentioned that as a possible pairing in here unless I missed it. Everyone else feels like close friends and/or brothers/sisters/family to me. I am starting a re-read today so I can reference exact moments more clearly this week :p I haven't re-read the entire series in a LONG time so some of my earlier impressions may be incorrect.

MSofAofCOCA

Reaction score
Country
United States
For some reason, I do not feel romantic chemistry really between Allen and any of the girls in the series. At least, not serious I can see them getting married one day type chemistry.
In other series, I can really clearly pick out the end game couples by this point and I feel crazy because I don't see many end game couples in D.Gray-man at all. Honestly, the most chemistry I have seen between two characters that felt...possibly couple-like instead of just close friends is Kanda and Lenalee, but I am starting to think I am crazy because absolutely no one has mentioned that as a possible pairing in here unless I missed it. Everyone else feels like close friends and/or brothers/sisters/family to me. I am starting a re-read today so I can reference exact moments more clearly this week :p I haven't re-read the entire series in a LONG time so some of my earlier impressions may be incorrect.
Personally I've been feeling that there's a love-triangle developing between Allen, Lenalee and Lavi. Imo Lavi has an actual, solid crush on Lenalee but thinks (or is under the impression) that Lenalee has the hots for Allen. But Allen is much too focused to notice them and reciprocate Lenalee's feelings.

The only solid pairing I can see happening is MariexMiranda, though Link also seemed to have more-than-friends feelings for Tewak.

I can't see Allen ending up with either Road or Lenalee, no matter how much Road tries to prove otherwise. She's much cuter and nicer now, but she was quiet sadistic and violent during Rewinding Town and Ark arc arcs.

fuff

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Personally I've been feeling that there's a love-triangle developing between Allen, Lenalee and Lavi. Imo Lavi has an actual, solid crush on Lenalee but thinks (or is under the impression) that Lenalee has the hots for Allen. But Allen is much too focused to notice them and reciprocate Lenalee's feelings.

The only solid pairing I can see happening is MariexMiranda, though Link also seemed to have more-than-friends feelings for Tewak.

I can't see Allen ending up with either Road or Lenalee, no matter how much Road tries to prove otherwise. She's much cuter and nicer now, but she was quiet sadistic and violent during Rewinding Town and Ark arc arcs.
wait lavi likes lenalee was anything ever shown in the manga? i dont remember anything significant

ying_su

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion, but... I prefer Lou Fa xD

MSofAofCOCA

Reaction score
Country
United States
wait lavi likes lenalee was anything ever shown in the manga? i dont remember anything significant
Not really, that's just my opinion. Like, for some reason, when he yelled at her after Allen was "killed" by Tyki, I kind of thought that he wanted Lenalee to move on from Allen for reasons other than what he said.

Chloesong

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion, but... I prefer Lou Fa xD
I started respecting Lou Fa's affection for Allen after reading "Maiden's Rhapsody".

Before the Arc arc, I thought it was heavily implied that Lenalee and Allen would end up together (her prophetic nightmare about the ruined HQ and she's crying alone with Allen laying on her lap, the train scene when Allen bows to apologize and Lenalee puts groceries on his head; when at night, Allen's eye bothers him and Lenalee holds him back from retreating into the darkenss, etc.)

After the Arc arc, those kinds of overtones sort of disappeared and it seems much more like a sister-friend relationship, if that. For example, Ch. 184, when Allen slips into Nea for a moment and Lenalee are alone in the room together, there isn't any romantic feelings at all. Another obvious example would be when Allen left the Order and Lenalee had nothing to say. To be honest, I was really disappointed when Lenalee didnt even say "Don't go" as a friend...

Rather there are lots of interactions with Lenalee and Lavi. For example, Ch. 149, Lavi saves her from Leville when Leville tries to force her to get her Innocence and fight. In general, Lavi seems to always be looking out for Lenalee and saying supportive words, although there isn't any signs that Lenalee notices Lavi lol. Overall, most of the Order tend to look out for Lenalee so she could be uncanonically shipped with a lot of people.

In terms of relationships, Bak has a humorous crush on Lenalee, Lou Fa has a crush on Allen, and Timothy has a crush on Emily.

Canon-wise, Marie and Miranda, Kanda and Alma, Krory and Eliade.
I feel like forgetting some relationships. Maybe the Fou and Bak?

In terms of my preference, I rather see Allen with someone who suits him. At first I thought that was Lenalee, but it seems pretty clear that they both are not ready to have a relationship and it isn't very obvious whether they feel attracted to one another. By that I don't mean, the in-frequent, "Oh Lenalee is cute" comment but rather something closer to the loyalty, committment, and love that Allen has for Mana and Lenalee has for her brother. Allen and Lenalee both have "a most important person" and I can't imagine at all, for now, that it would be each other. It would have been really simple for Hoshino-sensei to put a small blush here and there to indicate attraction, but I think this isn't that kind of manga. As someone else put it on the forum, "this isn't a story about Allen finding a girlfriend".

I think since Allen is so broken and has so many problems, that he would need someone who helps him. Lenalee in a way is also extremely fragile. It would be nice if they helped each other out which was sorta happening in the begining of the series, but now it seems like Lenalee can't commit to being there for Allen, even as being a friend as much as Johnny is.

As for Road, I think her motivations towards Allen is currently unclear and the fact that their first encounter started so sadistically makes it hard to imagine a canon relationship. Her affection towards Allen is cute though and its sweet how she tries to help him out.

MSofAofCOCA

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Chloesong: Yes, I agree. I also want to mention that Lenalee, at the moment, seems to be more concerned about her "world" not being broken than anything else at the moment. Like, when she did chace after Allen, like you said she didn't say "don't go" she said "we will have to fight each other". To me that signified that she didn't want a piece of her world to dissapear. This was further solidified next chapter when she was talking to Marie and admitted not being able to follow Allen, not even as a friend. So while they do make a cute pair, I don't think they have any feelings for each other.

You also mentioned the examples supporting Lenalee x Lavi (which I couldn't think of yesterday, forsome reason). Lavi is really attentive to her needs. I think both Lavi and other readers would blame it on his "Bookman" calling, but I think he really does have feelings for her aside from his profession.

Iirc, there was an interview with Hoshino where she said that she wishes/planned to show her meaning of "Love" in the series. So far we've had plenty examples of familial love and romantic love, but I personally feel that the *real* love story of the series will be the one between Neah and Mana. Not in a shippy way, but a "they did all of these things through years and years of pain because they love each other as brothers".

ying_su

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
The thing is for me, Lou Fa is fresh air and optimism for Allen, while Leenalee is the person he is sharing with hard experiences: with time and character development they became more than sister and brother. But that's just an opinion.

Relating to Road: my bet is that we might see more about this in the manga, but not with Present!Allen, but Past!Allen, that might be interesting! XD

Aracely

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Water Tribe
For example, Ch. 184, when Allen slips into Nea for a moment and Lenalee are alone in the room together, there isn't any romantic feelings at all.

It would have been really simple for Hoshino-sensei to put a small blush here and there to indicate attraction, but I think this isn't that kind of manga. As someone else put it on the forum, "this isn't a story about Allen finding a girlfriend".
Actually, in the scene you're talking about in chapter 184, there is some blushing. Lenalee's blushing when she wakes up (though perhaps she's just embarrassed) though when she sees "Allen" looking out of character she stops, and later on in the scene Allen blushes a little while looking at Lenalee. It's minor but there. There are a couple of little things like that throughout the manga, but yes, as you say, it's not a romance manga. (And I don't want it to be a romance manga.)

In one of the comics included in CharaGray set at an Order party, drunken sleepy Lenalee mutters "Don't go, Allen-kun..." and Allen's face goes briiiiiight red with blushing for two panels. Like so:

And I can't help but wonder if that was meant to be a comedic parallel to chapter 205. But yeah, in the actual main manga, Lenalee wasn't able to say anything to Allen about him leaving, and in chapter 207 she is basically angsting about feeling as if she had chosen the Order over Allen, and feeling guilty for not having helped him. But I think that Noise Marie's advice to her was on point: she's got strong bonds with her brother and the others at the Order, and choosing to stay with them doesn't mean that she's lost her bond with Allen (or with the other people who were absent at that time in the manga. Hell, poor Lavi is still absent).

I don't think that it would be in character for Lenalee at this point to have decided to ditch the rest of her world for Allen, though she obviously felt terrible about it. Actually, though I think that Lenalee and Allen would make a cute couple someday, I'm pleased she didn't decide to leave with him. They're both characters with problems, and I don't think they're ready for a relationship yet, so my feeling is that I want them to interact in a healthy way. And I don't think it would have been healthy for Lenalee to leave the Order just to go with Allen. I like that for Allen and Lenalee, the most important people for each of them right now would be Mana and Komui respectively; I don't think this means that Allen and Lenalee couldn't have a good relationship sometime later on.

That said, I love that Johnny decided to go after Allen, and as a result I am all aboard the Johnny and Allen ship, so... :amuse

Re Road, she is such a mystery right now that I can't really make a good guess about whether a Road and Allen ship could ever work or not. At least with the recent stuff we know she and Allen are technically probably about the same age!

REN KOUEN

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
none
there doesn't seem to be much romance going on in the manga
it just doesn't feel right
it certainly isnt a romance comic

they have bigger things to worry about , however the bit of jealousy we saw from lennali when road kissed allen was pretty awesome

this is just a hypothetical thread